Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There are people on from Batch 1 still waiting on regional appointments!

Of course there are- Batch 1 regional never ever gets fully placed- it never happens.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Of course there are- Batch 1 regional never ever gets fully placed- it never happens.......

How are the regional ones filled then? Do the offices outside of Dublin not have retirements or promotions at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

How are the regional ones filled then? Do the offices outside of Dublin not have retirements or promotions at all?

The amount of positions outside of Dublin is small compared to Dublin. So naturally opportunities are much less. Fairly natural and shouldn't be in anyway surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Swoz

Gaffer78 wrote: »
    Can anybody say roughly where PAS are at on the interdepartmental stream of batch 3, as opposed to the open stream which we know is in the 80s.

They are in the mid 50's on the interD panel, I am going through clearance for the last 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

Anyone spoke to PAS to see when stage 2 batch 2 results from the recent e-tray might be out? I know originally they said 4-5 weeks after the tests and we are at 2 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Babsiboo

Nerd Queen wrote: »
    Anyone spoke to PAS to see when stage 2 batch 2 results from the recent e-tray might be out? I know originally they said 4-5 weeks after the tests and we are at 2 now.

I was told at the test centre results would be out at the end of the month, a colleague phoned and they were told the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bcatt

I phoned PAS yesterday, they expect to have results out by the end of the week.

bcatt wrote: »

Thanks a mill. Happy yet simultaneously dreading the second knock back in a week after not making it through shortlisting for an SEO (local authority AP) post.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sheep_Lover

Early 100s (Open) on the panel now in clearance!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Babsiboo

bcatt wrote: »

Friday at 5pm is looking most likely. 😳

• Advertisement

Babsiboo wrote: »
    Friday at 5pm is looking most likely. ��

And its not even a bank holiday weekend! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Woopsey

Passed. Woo hoo. How many will be called to interview do we think.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

Woopsey wrote: »
    Passed. Woo hoo. How many will be called to interview do we think.

My reading of the message is that all successful candidates will be called for interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I got 21st. I'm in shock

gazzer wrote: »
    I got 21st. I'm in shock

Just slightly higher than you- and am alternating between shock- and fits of giggles here........ Got a good place on the interdepartmental HEO panel on Wednesday- and now this.......... I'm staggered..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭irish_dave_83

Passed as well, I'm delighted I must say.
    :)

Are most of those who got through HEOs (I presume they are)?
    I guess there won't be many of us EOs.
    I was convinced I was a goner from that god-damned awful e-tray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

no opportunity to update cv/application though is an issue given the age of the competition . worth people ringing in to confirm / request it

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bcatt

I passed too I'm thrilled and shocked! Id really like to update my application too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭jets

Passed too, much to my surprise.
    Would love to update form

Failed the job sim which I would like to query anyone know who to contact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭irish_dave_83

I just got promoted to HEO when I applied in 2016, so all my examples are as an EO in the application form itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I'm an EO

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sheepstealer

Same as most people can't believed I past the Etray so cut and paste works !

39 open/ 26 Inter

Like everyone I so want to update form as I filled mine in on last day of honeymoon on deadline day so I dread to think Of the typos plus with another 15 months at HEO level my examples are way better.

But anyway delighted that I fluked Etray and curious to see scores.

For those who failed tests ask for a review from PAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 LucyLou2017

Well done folks and best of luck going forward. I was promoted in an earlier batch, going from EO to AP so it is possible. I’m happy to help in any way I can so feel free to message me.

• Advertisement

Same as most people can't believed I past the Etray so cut and paste works !

39 open/ 26 Inter

Like everyone I so want to update form as I filled mine in on last day of honeymoon on deadline day so I dread to think Of the typos plus with another 15 months at HEO level my examples are way better.

But anyway delighted that I fluked Etray and curious to see scores.

For those who failed tests ask for a review from PAS.

I just read mine there- I have spelt 'Assistant Principle Officer' throughout........ arrrggghhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 LucyLou2017

I just read mine there- I have spelt 'Assistant Principle Officer' throughout........ arrrggghhh!

You are given the opportunity to introduce new/updated examples and experience at interview. The panel are cognisant of the passage of time. I was asked whether I wanted to use the example on form or a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

A minor error. Some of the messages' subject matter lines from PAS since Dec 2016 have had similar errors including Assitant and Principle and that went out to 100's or 1,000's of candidates.

I got through to stage 3 and was just looking for the word pleased or regret in the message today. I'll give the interviews a lash anyway When the economy is booming you gotta make hay while the sun shines as advancement is tough in a recession in the public sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Strange advert on publicjobs today

Looking for a Principal Officer post for 18 months, but will consider an AP on secondment
    either.

https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/72375.htm

Is this recognising that they have to pay higher PO salaries to attract people from outside public service?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Omnishambles99

Question - will they offer the first secretary option interview to any of us who do well at this interview and panel high. ? ( or do they restrict that to the first few from the first batch ?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Just slightly higher than you- and am alternating between shock- and fits of giggles here........ Got a good place on the interdepartmental HEO panel on Wednesday- and now this.......... I'm staggered..........

Would love to see you get appointed a chara.

Doing the e-tray as part of the competition I thought that it was a fictional construct and not representative of an AP role.

I can honestly say that my job is just like the feckin e-tray exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Shocked is the one word I'd use to describe me. I'm still half expecting an email from them saying that they mixed up my results with someone else.
    I looked at the wrong class ng during the rush of the etray and ended up submitting my stuff 10mins early without getting the chance to double check the answer.I only realised it 5 mins later when people were still typing.
    Well, just one last hurdle so best of luck to those who passed and to those who didn't, just know that it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Omnishambles99

Doing the e-tray as part of the competition I thought that it was a fictional construct and not representative of an AP role.

Here here !! Did the 1pm sitting but was in work in the AM ... little difference between the two ! Lol !!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

you have a job like mine, except my manager doesn't have to email me requests, he just turns his head to the right and talks to me.:pac::pac::pac::pac:

VONSHIRACH wrote: »
    you have a job like mine, except my manager doesn't have to email me requests, he just turns his head to the right and talks to me.:pac::pac::pac::pac:

The downside to open plan offices.........

I thought the e-tray was a bit crazy- but it doesn't in fact differ too much from the randomness of everyday in work. On the brightside- it means you're kept on your toes, and have no idea what is going to happen next- however, the flipside is- its hard to sit down and plan your day- when you're constantly firefighting.

Best of good luck at the interviews everyone. Does anyone know is there a presentation on the same day (akin to the HEO) or is it just a straightforward competency based interview? I may be a glutton for punishment- but I actually like those presentations.

The downside to open plan offices.........

I thought the e-tray was a bit crazy- but it doesn't in fact differ too much from the randomness of everyday in work. On the brightside- it means you're kept on your toes, and have no idea what is going to happen next- however, the flipside is- its hard to sit down and plan your day- when you're constantly firefighting.

Best of good luck at the interviews everyone. Does anyone know is there a presentation on the same day (akin to the HEO) or is it just a straightforward competency based interview? I may be a glutton for punishment- but I actually like those presentations.

Just an interview, that’s the last thing left now. I found the interview tough (I’m sure I posted about it earlier), I didn’t get a chance to go through the competencies as I learned them off, questions were being absolutely fired at me.

Just an interview, that’s the last thing left now. I found the interview tough (I’m sure I posted about it earlier), I didn’t get a chance to go through the competencies as I learned them off, questions were being absolutely fired at me.

Do you mean they flung random questions- relating to your education, work experience etc- at you- or was there an element of questioning about current affairs, politics, geopolitics, challenges coming down the line- etc- that sort of thing?

Do you mean they flung random questions- relating to your education, work experience etc- at you- or was there an element of questioning about current affairs, politics, geopolitics, challenges coming down the line- etc- that sort of thing?

They went through education at start in a very easy chatty way.

Nothing about current affairs either. I brought up a couple of challenges facing the CS and the State hoping they’d quiz me on it but they didn’t.

When it came to competencies I didn’t get to dictate where the conversation went, they drilled down forensically into them, no time to say what I wanted to say. I didn’t feel they were unfair they just hit me with question after question.

They were very interest in querying about policy and when I fed into it and even shaped national policies.

Also got a couple of questions on decision making and how to make a very difficult decision when you’re not sure which is the right one.

Bobby- thats very helpful (though a little worrying!)
    Sounds a little like the HEO- which I was convinced went disasterously, but apparently, everyone must have done.......
    I'm trying to figure how to put together a road-map for myself for the interview (I'm sad- I love mindmaps).
    Looks likely I may have to abandon that idea.........
    I had suspected a few late nights with policy and position documents beckoned, I may have to reappraise a new approach...........

Even aside from the HEO interview two weeks ago- I guess a few mock interviews all around- might be good for us all- if only there was a ready source of willing current APs/POs to grill us...........

Hopefully we get the familiarisation information for the interviews and who is on the board- sooner rather than later.

I am guessing the background of the board- flavoured the line of questioning? (though- it most certainly didn't for the HEO)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Bobby- thats very helpful (though a little worrying!)
    Sounds a little like the HEO- which I was convinced went disasterously, but apparently, everyone must have done.......
    I'm trying to figure how to put together a road-map for myself for the interview (I'm sad- I love mindmaps).
    Looks likely I may have to abandon that idea.........
    I had suspected a few late nights with policy and position documents beckoned, I may have to reappraise a new approach...........

Even aside from the HEO interview two weeks ago- I guess a few mock interviews all around- might be good for us all- if only there was a ready source of willing current APs/POs to grill us...........

Hopefully we get the familiarisation information for the interviews and who is on the board- sooner rather than later.

I am guessing the background of the board- flavoured the line of questioning? (though- it most certainly didn't for the HEO)?

Best of luck The_Conductor in your interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Phonecrazy

Also made the cut and I’m still on a high from it. Last time round I bombed it. Time to polish off the interview skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 confusted

I too made it through and am pretty chuffed with myself without really knowing how until I see the breakdown of the results. I didn't think I made a total bags of everything but was sure that my efforts in the etray were pretty appalling in spite of going for it with recommendations in my letter and report. I secretly enjoyed it though and liked the pressure environment!

I posted earlier on this thread that I am not sure I have the right experience, particularly management, for this role, but I would dearly love to get it. I'm a policy nerd, a current affairs nerd, but I also have a two year gap on my CV owing to family health issues. It's definitely given me perspective but it's also made me long for some kind of employment certainty. That two year gap may stand against me, I've been up for administrative roles with one of the regional assemblies and CSR positions but just fallen short, placed second twice. All I can do now is go for it in the interview. Posts above have given me lots of useful info so thank you and I will go through the earlier posts on previous interview rounds but I think I'll concentrate on the competencies initially. Would I be right in assuming that my areas of past employment, education and development/ human rights issues might be a potential avenue for the interviewers to explore if they go sideways?

One final question: has anyone done a prep mock interview with any of the communications companies out there? Worthwhile?

Thanks all, and best of good luck to all in the interview stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Interviewers can ask about anything not covered by the equality act. If there were family health issues, then tell them that and they won't probe further.

In relation to whether these interview mocks are worth doing, that really depends on:
    1. Whether you think you can pass without it.
    2. Whether you know someone else who can do one.
    3. Whether you can afford to do it/afford not to do it.
    4. Whether after doing it, you get the job.
    I know people who have done them and didn't get the job who said it was a waste, people who didn't do it and wished they had, people who did them and got the job and said they would've got it anyway.
    Imo, they're worth it if gets you the job, but who's to say you wouldn't have got it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Woodenframe

anyone hazard a guess on what your chances for a job are if you get through these upcoming interviews? i.e. do they still have a large panel from previous batches to get through?
    I saw someone saying they are on about 100 of the open panel. Is there many more left on that panel and is there another panel after that.. or will those being interviewed in the next few weeks form the next panel.. hope that makes sense!:o

anyone hazard a guess on what your chances for a job are if you get through these upcoming interviews? i.e. do they still have a large panel from previous batches to get through?
    I saw someone saying they are on about 100 of the open panel. Is there many more left on that panel and is there another panel after that.. or will those being interviewed in the next few weeks form the next panel.. hope that makes sense!:o

Given that There’s still time left for this competition, the current panel (for Dub) is nearly exhausted and PAS aren’t in the business of wasting money by running these for nothing. I would think that your chances would be very good. At the minimum you are giving yourself a good practice run for future competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sheepstealer

Interviews are out ...!!! Got mine for the 20th March

Not hanging around are they lol

Interviews are out ...!!! Got mine for the 20th March

Not hanging around are they lol

Ditto- see you on the day.
    At least its at a reasonable time of day.........
    Had to be in there for 8AM in the morning for the HEO.
    My 6 and 7 year old were not impressed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Woodenframe

Can't do the date given.. anyone had any luck with another date?

• Advertisement

Can't do the date given.. anyone had any luck with another date?

Get on to them quickly. If you have a genuine reason they may accommodate you.

Advertisement