Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Danesfort101

Hi - Any update from those on Regional Panels. Any movement recently?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I see the boards for next week are out.
    It doesn't actually give you any background on any of the board members- which I suppose stops you from prepping to try and guess the types of questions that might come up. Good luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

I see the boards for next week are out.
    It doesn't actually give you any background on any of the board members- which I suppose stops you from prepping to try and guess the types of questions that might come up. Good luck all.

It is easy enough to research the names ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 NoNamesWork

The interviews are so short they don't have time to do anything weird, they really stick very closely to the competencies. In my interview they had a digital clock on the desk to keep tabs on themselves coz time was so tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

I'm wondering how many they're calling for interview. I know there's at least 4 days interviews. Based on where I am on the current order of being called, it would indicate 2 boards minimum assuming 7 interviews a day per panel.I.e. 56 called, but it could be significantly more depending on how many boards there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Woopsey

whampiri wrote: »
    I'm wondering how many they're calling for interview. I know there's at least 4 days interviews. Based on where I am on the current order of being called, it would indicate 2 boards minimum assuming 7 interviews a day per panel.I.e. 56 called, but it could be significantly more depending on how many boards there are.

Have heard of someone in the low 3 digets called. They must be flying off the last panel.

VONSHIRACH wrote: »
    It is easy enough to research the names ;)

Only one of mine is obvious, the other two- don't feature.
    Lets put it this way- I can definitely expect a few Foreign Affairs questions- however, the other two- I have no idea............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Woodenframe

There are also interviews in April. My DP had to change their date from March and is now mid April. PAS told him about 150 being interviewed over the days in March and April. presume this would mean results end April..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

Hi all

If you make it onto a panel what are the next steps, ? Do they run checks etc straight away or wait until they get to you on the panel? Cheers

• Advertisement

They check references and clearance and place you on panels. April is very optimistic, end of May or June is my guestimate and even then it'll depend on the demand. No/slow demand=slower processing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Is anybody bringing in their form with them for the interview. I was thinking of doing it but when I did the HEO interview I found I kept looking at the form and I ended up getting more confused than I would have if I had just spoken from memory. A friend suggested maybe a couple of postcard size card with just some small bits of text and some of the competency buzz words on them to job my memory if I feel I am getting stuck while talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DoPoGo

They check your refs and clearance after your number comes on the panel. Then If all in order they assign you to a dept. That is what happened for me, my sister and other colleagues.

I wouldn't think you'd be allowed take in notes. If that was allowed I definitely Could have done with a few prompts. Anyone know the rules here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

You cant bring notes into a civil service interview. Only a blank copy of the application form is allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

billyhead wrote: »
    You cant bring notes into a civil service interview. Only a blank copy of the application form is allowed

I've never heard of any restriction on what you can bring in, and I've certainly done CS interviews with my own notes and a copy of the completed application form on the table in front of me.

I've never heard of any restriction on what you can bring in, and I've certainly done CS interviews with my own notes and a copy of the completed application form on the table in front of me.

You're normally told to leave *all* your things outside- and they offer you a copy of your application form- which you can accept or decline. At the HEO interviews a few weeks ago- there were quite a few people the day I was there who were trying to bring in prompt cards and the likes- and told no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I brought a blank copy of my application form into a Pas interview a few weeks ago and I asked the staff member in reception was it okay before the interview and she said yes aslong as it is the original with no notes. I didn't even refer to it during the interview anyway.:).

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sheepstealer

Good luck to everyone with the interviews. PAS looks very busy today.

It was tough but fair. The panel were helpful and put me at ease. I am in a "I did ok but could of done better" mood. So if I pass I barely passed but who knows with the mysteries of compentency based interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Babsiboo

It was tough but fair. The panel were helpful and put me at ease. I am in a "I did ok but could of done better" mood. So if I pass I barely passed but who knows with the mysteries of compentency based interviews.
    Thanks, I am up in April. Did they say when results would be issued?

Felt the same- the board couldn't have been nicer- I actually wish they had been harder on me- however, time will tell. I had a few interesting errors in my CV- but they also gave me ample opportunity to discuss the last 18 months since we submitted the applications.

Good luck everyone- the board couldn't be kinder or more pleasant- which is great in some respects- however, its probably easier to impart information when you're being hectored.

Babsiboo wrote: »
    Thanks, I am up in April. Did they say when results would be issued?

Unfortunately I only remembered that question after I left the room lol

I'll contact PAS Friday for an update

• Advertisement

Felt the same- the board couldn't have been nicer- I actually wish they had been harder on me- however, time will tell. I had a few interesting errors in my CV- but they also gave me ample opportunity to discuss the last 18 months since we submitted the applications.

Good luck everyone- the board couldn't be kinder or more pleasant- which is great in some respects- however, its probably easier to impart information when you're being hectored.

Looking back on your comments,you had the same board as me. I have to say they really were helpful and probed and put me onto the right path if my answer wandered.

The chair definitely was in charge of the group !

The chair definitely was in charge of the group !

+1
    The chair of my panel- was brilliant- her instructions were spot on- and she laid down house rules at the outset- indicating which signals were being directed at her board members- and which at me- which indicated time was of the essence- and which were to direct me to get to the point. She also explicitly stated at the outset not to fall into the temptation to refer to 'we' that it was all 'I' had done- and gave an explanation for the notes that we being taken.

The chair couldn't possibly have been clearer- or more helpful- or indeed, friendlier. She tried to put me at ease- however, given my day job- anyone who tries to put me at ease- is more likely to put me in a state of heightened suspicion- than ease- however, she couldn't have known that.

The board for the AP- couldn't have been more diffferent from the HEO board I had a few weeks ago- however, and despite the fact that I was convinced I did appallingly at the HEO- I strongly suspect my HEO interview was better.

By the way- they went through the competencies one by one- advising me of which examples I had used in my CV for them- and asking if I'd like to go with a different example instead- or whether I was happy to stick with the same example. I also had 2-3 minutes to briefly discuss what I'd been doing in the last 18 months since the application form was submitted.

The PAS representative didn't utter a peep throughout the interview- and I had to stop using my hands and gesticulating a few times- which I never do in real life. Nerves, I guess. The two glasses of water were nicely chilled and very welcome- I got croaky long before the end of the interview..........

The chair in particular was remarkable- the other two- were very friendly and helpful- but I wouldn't nominate either of them for interrogation courses.......... I guess getting a retired chief superintendent as chair for the HEO- had me on edge for today.........

One way or the other- its been one hell of an experience.
    Apparently- they are announcing a new competition in September- its highly unusual that they've ran this panel over two years.

The scent of pizza in PAS- is unreal!

+1
    The chair of my panel- was brilliant- her instructions were spot on- and she laid down house rules at the outset- indicating which signals were being directed at her board members- and which at me- which indicated time was of the essence- and which were to direct me to get to the point. She also explicitly stated at the outset not to fall into the temptation to refer to 'we' that it was all 'I' had done- and gave an explanation for the notes that we being taken.

The chair couldn't possibly have been clearer- or more helpful- or indeed, friendlier. She tried to put me at ease- however, given my day job- anyone who tries to put me at ease- is more likely to put me in a state of heightened suspicion- than ease- however, she couldn't have known that.

The board for the AP- couldn't have been more diffferent from the HEO board I had a few weeks ago- however, and despite the fact that I was convinced I did appallingly at the HEO- I strongly suspect my HEO interview was better.

By the way- they went through the competencies one by one- advising me of which examples I had used in my CV for them- and asking if I'd like to go with a different example instead- or whether I was happy to stick with the same example. I also had 2-3 minutes to briefly discuss what I'd been doing in the last 18 months since the application form was submitted.

The PAS representative didn't utter a peep throughout the interview- and I had to stop using my hands and gesticulating a few times- which I never do in real life. Nerves, I guess. The two glasses of water were nicely chilled and very welcome- I got croaky long before the end of the interview..........

The chair in particular was remarkable- the other two- were very friendly and helpful- but I wouldn't nominate either of them for interrogation courses.......... I guess getting a retired chief superintendent as chair for the HEO- had me on edge for today.........

One way or the other- its been one hell of an experience.
    Apparently- they are announcing a new competition in September- its highly unusual that they've ran this panel over two years.

The scent of pizza in PAS- is unreal!

Coming out of the interview I really would like to work with the chair as she seemed friendly and helpful. She also had a sense of humour as for the other two nice men but didn't seem the most dynamic to be generous.

It's weird how there is only one mention of her on the internet lol

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭scrabble1498

Is there more than one board? Pretty sure I have a male chairperson...

Is there more than one board? Pretty sure I have a male chairperson...

Definitely two boards at least as someone was called in the same time as me to another board

• Registered Users Posts: 38 confusted

Was just going to ask if anyone had the board with the male chair? Mine is a guy so has to be two unless chair changed. Fascinating insights, pizza scent included! I'm up Thursday and I'm looking forward to it. Am going over and over the competencies but should probably pay a little more attention to current issues relevant to my experience. Best of luck everyone, thought about those up today and great to have your feedback.

There are 4 boards afaik. 4 of us where all up at the same time yesterday. My board where really nice. The Chairwoman definitely put me at ease and the 50 minutes flew by. I did A LOT of talking but i honestly dont know if i said the right things. Hopefully won't be waiting too long for the result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

They stopped me bringing in notes but they allowed the application form after they asked me were there notes on it and they checked.

The form was just my comfort blanket, I didn’t actually use it.

You’d have to be allowed bring the form in just in case they query an aspect of your CV in some way.

I brought my form in but I didnt look at it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭maydream

Hi All

I have a question in realtion to competency interviews. This may be a silly question!
    During the interview if the interviewer is satisified with what is on your form are they less likely to overly question you on it? Do you score points from what is on your form or is it purely points for what you say?

Hope the above makes sense and many thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sodacake1968

Fwiw, from talking to interviewers-no one from this competition- they don't think interviewees should be relying on cards, notes etc. They feel that people should know their forms, examples inside out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

gazzer wrote: »
    I did A LOT of talking but i honestly dont know if i said the right things. Hopefully won't be waiting too long for the result

My feelings exactly. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

Had my interview this week. Don't think I did great, even though I talked. I tried hard. Some awkward questions. Didn't seem to gell with one of them, he seemed very hard to satisfy.

VONSHIRACH wrote: »
    Had my interview this week. Don't think I did great, even though I talked. I tried hard. Some awkward questions. Didn't seem to gell with one of them, he seemed very hard to satisfy.

Honestly- I think we're all in a similar boat. The one on the panel I was really looking forward to- was a complete washout for me- and the one damn error on my CV- which I did correct in the interview- he insisted on latching onto- despite my clarifying it was incorrect at the outset...........

I don't think its healthy for any of us to dwell on this- lets just wait and see what the outcome is- and the feedback they give us.

If anyone can get an indication of when they expect to have results out- it would put a lot of us out of our misery!

Interview today. First time I've ever sat before a board where one of the panel was nodding off from ten minutes in. I went into this process knowing that I might not have the required experience but I got through the rounds, eventually, and landed at interview. I can take it that I need to build my management experience. I can take being interrupted and asked to get to the point but if I spend three weeks preparing for interview, the least the person sitting opposite me can do is do me the courtesy of staying awake even if I'm a bore! Rant over, otherwise a challenging interview, I can learn from this but I could have been shown a little more respect. Not to discourage others that follow in any way. I was the last in on a long day I guess.

confusted wrote: »
    Interview today. First time I've ever sat before a board where one of the panel was nodding off from ten minutes in. I went into this process knowing that I might not have the required experience but I got through the rounds, eventually, and landed at interview. I can take it that I need to build my management experience. I can take being interrupted and asked to get to the point but if I spend three weeks preparing for interview, the least the person sitting opposite me can do is do me the courtesy of staying awake even if I'm a bore! Rant over, otherwise a challenging interview, I can learn from this but I could have been shown a little more respect. Not to discourage others that follow in any way. I was the last in on a long day I guess.

Put in a complaint to PAS about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ecribbin

JF82 wrote: »
    Hi - does anyone have any information on the First Secretary merit list and how many have been placed so far?
    I was place 6 in batch 2 and was offered and turned it down in February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

What's the expiry date of this panel by the way? Is it 31st October?

What's the expiry date of this panel by the way? Is it 31st October?

Yes, 31st October this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Woodenframe

If anyone can get an indication of when they expect to have results out- it would put a lot of us out of our misery!

My DP swapped his date for this week and is now mid April. I guess this means results late April? Think he was told there are 2 days of interviews in April.

My DP swapped his date for this week and is now mid April. I guess this means results late April? Think he was told there are 2 days of interviews in April.

DP?
    Haven't come across that one before.
    Best of good luck to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

When does this panel expire and when is a new Open or InterD AP planned?

An Ri rua wrote: »
    When does this panel expire and when is a new Open or InterD AP planned?

31st October 2018, another competition should kick in immediately.

Had my interview on Friday. Tough but fair i thought. I'll tell you how fair in a few weeks when I know if i made the panel. ;)

Had my interview on Friday. Tough but fair i thought. I'll tell you how fair in a few weeks when I know if i made the panel. ;)

Lol on the fair part ! I think we all will be thinking the same

Which interview board did you have ?

• Advertisement

Lol on the fair part ! I think we all will be thinking the same

Which interview board did you have ?

Honestly- I think its far easier to impart information to an interview board- when they are hauling you over the coals and being gruff and mean to you. My last interview before the AP- was the HEO interview a few weeks previously- to say I was shattered leaving the room- is an understatement. The AP was an entirely different kettle of fish- they couldn't have been more polite, hell, even kind to me. That said- I got the HEO- but am pretty sure I'm up the creek re: the AP.

Honestly- I think its far easier to impart information to an interview board- when they are hauling you over the coals and being gruff and mean to you. My last interview before the AP- was the HEO interview a few weeks previously- to say I was shattered leaving the room- is an understatement. The AP was an entirely different kettle of fish- they couldn't have been more polite, hell, even kind to me. That said- I got the HEO- but am pretty sure I'm up the creek re: the AP.

Gives me a teeny glimmer if hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Claireclucka

Can anyone who has had the interview give any details on the types of curve ball questions that were put to you?

I believe that my panel only sat for 1 day.

In terms of curveball questions, there weren't any. They pushed me on areas such as leadership and delivery of results by asking for more than one example and drilled into how I would motivate a team but that was a curveball as it got.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭scrabble1498

Anyone know what dates in April the interviews are being held?

• Advertisement
Advertisement