Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sheepstealer

Emailed AP clearance last week and no reply. I'll ring on Friday and hopefully get an update!

They got back to me saying it is "likely" that AP clearance starts in about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭elgicko

They got back to me saying it is "likely" that AP clearance starts in about 2 weeks.

That is quick and encouraging for people in this batch. I am surprised at how fast they are moving through this panel.

I think it is safe to say that most of these upcoming jobs will be in Dublin.

It would be interesting to know out of who was placed are only interested in jobs outside the pale!

Does anyone previously who got promoted know the timeline from clearance to being placed in a department ?

Was wondering myself what the placing scores were for getting placed on the panels?
    I fell way short, failed 2 competencies too, knew it wasnt a great interview... plenty of work to do!:o

Consolation is that it was nice to have gotten this far in a competition I had given up on over a year ago!

I did the competition in 2015, where the aptitude tests, etray and interview were held on the one day. I failed the etray by a couple of marks, I scored 95% I’m the interview.

In the 2016 competition, I scored high in The etray. In my interview I scored 50/60’s in all competencies. I would consider myself someone who is very familiar with the competency based interview structure and usually do well on the interview front, I was surprised I did mot score higher.

The line of questions were much more challenging in the 2016 competition compared to the 2015 competition.

In addition there were inconsistencies between the interview boards as I know a couple of people who were interviewing on separate boards to me.

For example I was not asked anything to do with challenges facing govt/country etc,, where others were. I am existing civil serving where other folk were private sector.

The advice I would give is read the requirements for each competency very carefullly and tie your responses to match the criteria. In addition do as many practice interviews as possible. If you are serious about it and want to get placed, pay the money and go to either Brian mcIvor, or Frank in Carr Communications.

I went to Brian and I know someone who went to Frank, both were good, Brian from memory is cheaper but the session is shorter. Frank on the other hand is more expensive (circa €300) but on balance is probably worth it. Give yourself plenty of time and be prepared before you go to the session to get the most out of it!

Does anyone previously who got promoted know the timeline from clearance to being placed in a department ?

It depends on a few factors:

Are you an existing civil setvant, if so faster process.

The HR in the dept you are going to, I have heard people being placed in a couple of weeks others a couple of months.

Willingness of your dept to let you go (existing civil servant)

Are you staying in your own dept, if so it doesn’t really matter as you will be made substantive from a particular date and paid accordingly.

elgicko wrote: »

The HR in the dept you are going to, I have heard people being placed in a couple of weeks others a couple of months.

Are you staying in your own dept, if so it doesn’t really matter as you will be made substantive from a particular date and paid accordingly.

I am an existing Civil Servant so I was curious on the timeline and I wont be staying in my current role as its a HEO equivalent role and AP in my office is AP equivalent etc

I am an existing Civil Servant so I was curious on the timeline and I wont be staying in my current role as its a HEO equivalent role and AP in my office is AP equivalent etc

From speaking with people who have gotten promoted. The process is:

You will get an email from PAS saying that clearance has started, how long this takes, who knows! As you are existing civil service. They check with hr for PMDS and sick leave, your line manger will also be asked to fill out a form!

Once that is completed you will receive an email from PAS stating that you have been assigned to department x and that the HR department will be in touch with a start date. You can ring the HR dept if they don’t get back ti you in a quick timeframe to speed up the process.

You scored really well, congrats you will be notified shortly. Can you keep us in the loop as to when you hear from PAS!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

For non civil servants is there much longer of a wait? Extra requirements?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

From speaking with people who have gotten promoted. The process is:

You will get an email from PAS saying that clearance has started, how long this takes, who knows! As you are existing civil service. They check with hr for PMDS and sick leave, your line manger will also be asked to fill out a form!

Once that is completed you will receive an email from PAS stating that you have been assigned to department x and that the HR department will be in touch with a start date. You can ring the HR dept if they don’t get back ti you in a quick timeframe to speed up the process.

You scored really well, congrats you will be notified shortly. Can you keep us in the loop as to when you hear from PAS!!

When you say contact the HR dept if they don't get back to you is this your own dept or the new dept/offices HR unit and how long should you wait from the date you have been notified of your assignment to the time you should contact the HR without looking as being in patient.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

johnboyire wrote: »
    For non civil servants is there much longer of a wait? Extra requirements?

garda vetting I think plus checking references

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Stage 2 results out today for anyone in Batch 3, best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 Langemarck

Hi, I received my results today for the etray, numerical etc. tests and passed!! Already called for interview mid May. Can anyone tell me what the process is if you had selected first secretary also on the application form? Do I have to pass the AP interview first and then wait to be called for first secretary interview? My main reason for doing the tests was to get into diplomat role.

Tips on interview preparation would be great too if anyone was willing to share.

Langemarck wrote: »
    ? Do I have to pass the AP interview first and then wait to be called for first secretary interview? My main reason for doing the tests was to get into diplomat role.
    Yes

2 separate interviews
    1 AP

Then
    1 for first secretary

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭agnena

Congratulations Langemarck.
    I also passed and have 3 weeks to get ready for the interview. Panicking at the moment. A year and a half ago I was a CO...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I did the competition in 2015, where the aptitude tests, etray and interview were held on the one day. I failed the etray by a couple of marks, I scored 95% I’m the interview.

In the 2016 competition, I scored high in The etray. In my interview I scored 50/60’s in all competencies. I would consider myself someone who is very familiar with the competency based interview structure and usually do well on the interview front, I was surprised I did mot score higher.

The line of questions were much more challenging in the 2016 competition compared to the 2015 competition.

In addition there were inconsistencies between the interview boards as I know a couple of people who were interviewing on separate boards to me.

For example I was not asked anything to do with challenges facing govt/country etc,, where others were. I am existing civil serving where other folk were private sector.

The advice I would give is read the requirements for each competency very carefullly and tie your responses to match the criteria. In addition do as many practice interviews as possible. If you are serious about it and want to get placed, pay the money and go to either Brian mcIvor, or Frank in Carr Communications.

I went to Brian and I know someone who went to Frank, both were good, Brian from memory is cheaper but the session is shorter. Frank on the other hand is more expensive (circa €300) but on balance is probably worth it. Give yourself plenty of time and be prepared before you go to the session to get the most out of it!

Great post. I did both 2015 and 2016 interviews and would have exact same opinions.

I also went to Frank Sweeney in Carr Communications and found him fantastic. Highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Omnishambles99

Hi, I received my results today for the etray, numerical etc. tests and passed!! Already called for interview mid May. Can anyone tell me what the process is if you had selected first secretary also on the application form? Do I have to pass the AP interview first and then wait to be called for first secretary interview? My main reason for doing the tests was to get into diplomat role.

Tips on interview preparation would be great too if anyone was willing to share.

As far as I know PAS only offered ppl at the very top of batch the first sec interview - I asked PAS a while ago ( I've been panelled at the lower end of batch 2) whether they'll be going down as far as batch 2 or. 3 for first secs and they said "very unlikely" :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

Hi, I'm new to this thread. Any experience or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Does anybody know if there will be a new AP open campaign this year? I was on to pas last week about EO competition and asked about likelihood of an AP competition and was told to.keep my eyes open for one this year. I missed the last one. I was made redundant so did the EO and got placed high on that but not offered position yet due to my location. I'm clueless really about these competitions. What should I start doing to get ready for a possible competition and where can I get this information. I intend to read through this thread.

Sorry meant to add that asked about HEO but understand this is usually confined so not open competition there likely in the near future.

WAW

You can sign up for email alerts to competition adverts

I wouldn't be surprised at a new AP competition

Riskymove wrote: »
    WAW

Where can I find that competition alerts option? It's not under job alerts. TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭jets

WAW

as above and to add that fairly sure there will a new AP competition that will be announced Nov 1 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

jets wrote: »
    as above and to add that fairly sure there will a new AP competition that will be announced Nov 1 2018

If the aim is to roll from one panel to the next, then the competition might be announced sooner. But this is probably wishful thinking.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    If the aim is to roll from one panel to the next, then the competition might be announced sooner. But this is probably wishful thinking.

you could well be right

WAW wrote: »
    Where can I find that competition alerts option? It's not under job alerts. TIA

thats a good question

maybe choose a couple like Admin, Senior Management etc. Not sure which would cover AP best

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Poppy2017

Hi, I'm new to this thread. Any experience or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Does anybody know if there will be a new AP open campaign this year? I was on to pas last week about EO competition and asked about likelihood of an AP competition and was told to.keep my eyes open for one this year. I missed the last one. I was made redundant so did the EO and got placed high on that but not offered position yet due to my location. I'm clueless really about these competitions. What should I start doing to get ready for a possible competition and where can I get this information. I intend to read through this thread.

Hi there,

You could begin by putting in some work now on the application form for the APO as its usually work experience then a specific example under each competency and the APO competencies are up on PAS website so you could have some groundwork done and if you had time try practicing the numerical and verbal reasoning and situational judgement tests lots of free ones online.

It certainly appears the majority of jobs are Dublin based - in current comp we were limited to 2 locations - so if I was you and Dublin was possible to commute to and we are limited next time round to 2 locations I'd certainly chose Dublin ! I had regions only and still waiting ...... I'll probably still be waiting on 31st October !!! LOL

thats a good question

maybe choose a couple like Admin, Senior Management etc. Not sure which would cover AP best

Yes, I've done that. I ended up getting a load of job notifications to my inbox..none in my area unfortunately!

Poppy2017 wrote: »
    Hi there,

You could begin by putting in some work now on the application form for the APO as its usually work experience then a specific example under each competency and the APO competencies are up on PAS website so you could have some groundwork done and if you had time try practicing the numerical and verbal reasoning and situational judgement tests lots of free ones online.

It certainly appears the majority of jobs are Dublin based - in current comp we were limited to 2 locations - so if I was you and Dublin was possible to commute to and we are limited next time round to 2 locations I'd certainly chose Dublin ! I had regions only and still waiting ...... I'll probably still be waiting on 31st October !!! LOL

Yes, the location thing is a bummer. Not a hope I can relocate or commute to Dublin.

Yes, I've done that. I ended up getting a load of job notifications to my inbox..none in my area unfortunately!

An AP competition would be a national one anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 25 miss_miaigi

There was a newsletter sent out last October that said Q2 2018 for next AP competition but that’s obviously been pushed back given the 2016 competition is still ongoing. It said Q2 2019 for HEO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

There was a newsletter sent out last October that said Q2 2018 for next AP competition but that’s obviously been pushed back given the 2016 competition is still ongoing. It said Q2 2019 for HEO.

A new AP Panel can’t come into being until the current one runs out on 31st October. It’s almost definite that the new AP Panel will kick in on 1st November.

The competition might be advertised and begin in Quarter 2 but it’ll be Quarter 4 (or 1st November to be specific) before the first person can be appointed from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 Langemarck

As far as I know PAS only offered ppl at the very top of batch the first sec interview - I asked PAS a while ago ( I've been panelled at the lower end of batch 2) whether they'll be going down as far as batch 2 or. 3 for first secs and they said "very unlikely" :(

Hopefully it might change and they have a requirement again for first secs. 😠I'm being hopeful. Have to pass the first AP interview first.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Omnishambles99

Hopefully it might change and they have a requirement again for first secs. 😠I'm being hopeful. Have to pass the first AP interview first.

Fingers crossed too ;) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Enova

Hi. Just wondering if anyone has heard of much movement in Cork and Kerry regions lately or anticipates any?
    Thanks.

Enova wrote: »
    Hi. Just wondering if anyone has heard of much movement in Cork and Kerry regions lately or anticipates any?
    Thanks.

You could check with PAS, send them an email or ring, and they will tell you your current position on both panels, I'm down for 2 Leinster Counties and there has been a bit of movement since 1st January !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Woodenframe

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything on the grapevine re this new panel moving? I know @Sheepstealer got a mail to say they were starting clearance within a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Does anyone have the competition id for the 2016 comp so I can search it on public jobs? 😀

Does anyone have the competition id for the 2016 comp so I can search it on public jobs? ��

It was DPER Circular 26/2016, you can probably find it on the DPER website !

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything on the grapevine re this new panel moving? I know @Sheepstealer got a mail to say they were starting clearance within a few weeks.

I heard a rumour that they are starting to assign this week and should get through about 20 straight off. I'm hoping its true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Woodenframe

I heard a rumour that they are starting to assign this week and should get through about 20 straight off. I'm hoping its true.

Wow! Really?! That IS good news. Hopefully they will put more than that into clearing to get ahead of themselves.

• Advertisement

Where did you hear that, is it a reliable source??

Where did you hear that, is it a reliable source??

As I said its a rumour but it's from somebody who usually knows these things. I am inclined to believe it, have been expecting something since Monday morning based on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

As I said its a rumour but it's from somebody who usually knows these things. I am inclined to believe it, have been expecting something since Monday morning based on it.

Does anyone know how we find out? Are we contacted by PAS or if we are existing civil servants, are we contacted by our own HR? Not sure exactly what I'm waiting for :rolleyes:

PAS said last week that they expected to make appointments in about 2 weeks, which would suggest it would be next week at the earliest. They may have been just covering themselves in case it does take that long but don't get your hopes up for this week.......

Robin132 wrote: »
    don't get your hopes up for this week.......

Too late for me, checking my phone every 5 mins :D

Cool, this bodes well for all places on the panel!

On a related issue, do we have any indication of numbers being called for interview this month?

• Advertisement

Poppy2017 wrote: »
    It was DPER Circular 26/2016, you can probably find it on the DPER website !

Thank you!!

That's great news if true!

I really wish PAS would issue weekly updates on their website on panel progress etc it would save them hours of answering the same questions every time during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

So if they are assigning people is that people regionally also. There’s lots of people from batch 1 and 2 in the regions waiting for movement.

So if they are assigning people is that people regionally also. There’s lots of people from batch 1 and 2 in the regions waiting for movement.

I wouldn’t hold my breath, everyone I know of from this competition (about 10) who got promoted were for Dublin positions.

All the action appears to be in Dublin!

Any idea how many have been placed in galway or limerick?

• Advertisement
Advertisement