Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Confused1979

I was in today. All tests were as expected, no surprises. I thought the numerical was tough.

Long day, it was around 5:20 by the time we got out.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ZolaGood

I was in today. All tests were as expected, no surprises. I thought the numerical was tough.

Was that the 1pm slot? Just trying to plan my train home

ZolaGood wrote: »
    Was that the 1pm slot? Just trying to plan my train home

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I'm up later this week and booked a 7pm train home. Time for a pint, at least!!

Do they supply calculators for this exam (for AO they did) or should we bring our own?

I just did the sample exercise (broadband is back!) and was happy enough with it. I know it's going to be far more complex on the day but it was a good introduction to the format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭dee75

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I'm up later this week and booked a 7pm train home. Time for a pint, at least!!

Do they supply calculators for this exam (for AO they did) or should we bring our own?

I think the notes said they will supply calculators?

I wish I could bring my own 'cos I'm used to it!

Good luck to everyone this week and next.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

Calculators were provided today

Hi Confused1979

How many were doing the tests this afternoon?

If they've got 1047 to get through there must be a good number each day.

Sounds like an intense afternoon!

dee75 wrote: »
    I think the notes said they will supply calculators?

I wish I could bring my own 'cos I'm used to it!

Good luck to everyone this week and next.
    Argh, thanks very much, was reading the emails on my phone earlier in the week so might have missed a few details... does not a good AP make!!! :D

Good luck to you too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

A random enough question but what was the average age like?

Of applicants obviously:)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭salomon

Well done. At least it's out of the way for you now.

What was the management scenarios like?

• Advertisement

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Argh, thanks very much, was reading the emails on my phone earlier in the week so might have missed a few details... does not a good AP make!!! :D

Good luck to you too!

No worries! I've missed some crucial details in some of the instructions before too. I've never done anything like this before so it's all a learning curve!

quad_red wrote: »

Ha ha!!!

Great question...... I'm private sector and I'm 41.

dee75 wrote: »
    Hi Confused1979

How many were doing the tests this afternoon?

If they've got 1047 to get through there must be a good number each day.

Sounds like an intense afternoon!

I think there was about 50ish; they split us into 2 groups.

Good mix, few in 30's, but majority over 40 I'd say

Had my torture session today! Thought the maths were slight bit easier than the original assessment but still tricky

Verbal fine

Job simulation ok too but too much time for it-20 mins be enough imo

Etray was hard really don't know how I got on-most in my group seemed to think they did awfully so really can't even guess

Good luck to all coming up this week and next

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gillyboard

ZolaGood wrote: »
    Had my torture session today! Thought the maths were slight bit easier than the original assessment but still tricky

Verbal fine

Job simulation ok too but too much time for it-20 mins be enough imo

Etray was hard really don't know how I got on-most in my group seemed to think they did awfully so really can't even guess

Good luck to all coming up this week and next

Hi, feel free not to answer, but I was wondering is there a written excercise at the end of the etray like the letter we were asked to do in example
    TIA Gx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

*raises hand*

heo here with a nice current role and a while to go on the scale. the ap jobs ive seen firsthand can quite frankly go whistle for the money on offer, taking into account the loss of flexi. maybe in a few years I'll feel differently but i had no desire to apply for this.

Been an AO a couple of years, salary isn't even mid 30s yet. It's a massive jump.

I struggle to use my 25 annual leave as it is.

Ive never understood how people can build up an additional 18 in flexi and still be in line with the organisation's needs.

Best of luck to everyone this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I don't understand your point, Noodler.

It's not an additional 18 days leave; it's 135 hours off, in 3.75 or 7.5 hour blocks, per month, to a maximum of 1.5 days, that are convenient to you and fit in with the needs of the office, that you have already worked up over your normal required hours.

I don't understand your point, Noodler.

It's not an additional 18 days leave; it's 135 hours off, in 3.75 or 7.5 hour blocks, per month, to a maximum of 1.5 days, that are convenient to you and fit in with the needs of the office, that you have already worked up over your normal required hours.

The business needs of my organisation wouldn't value an hour from 8-9 or 5-7 the same way they would the 9-5 hours.

Basically, "working up" the extra time for flexi usually means questionable uses of employee time.

I'll edit to say IMO.

I'd struggle to get my work done if I had 25+18 days off. There are things that just can't be done in the hours some people choose to use to build up flexi.

• Advertisement

What's the dress code for the testing session? Were people suited and booted?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pfitzp90

Last time I did it, everyone was dressed casually.

You don't have to be. I'm going up today in casual gear. It's cold out so I'm layering up.

Deffo casual.

It all takes place on front of a computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Absolutely no need to be suited and booted.

It even says in the documentation to wear comfortable clothes.

In the e-tray is there just one written part to it or two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Is it just me, or is the etray familiarity exercise just a re-skinning of the very same one from 2015? Translation Service renamed to Training Board, but pretty much the same question/scenario.

Its the same - there must be different exercises within the same overall structure.
    Makes sense - why develop all that stuff and just have one exercise!

I heard that the structure is EXACTLY the same as last time.

same submission time - 5 minutes b4 end etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BL

Does everybody do the SAME exact etray? Surely that's open to abuse, as some people could just find out whats in it (from friends or colleagues who've been through it) and prepare answers in advance?

• Advertisement

It was tough going!!! I've no idea how it would have gone but the etray is considerably harder than the practice example, as we were warned. I finished,but just about!!! Great experience even if I don't make it to the next stage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

BL wrote: »
    Does everybody do the SAME exact etray? Surely that's open to abuse, as some people could just find out whats in it (from friends or colleagues who've been through it) and prepare answers in advance?

I've done a couple of etrays for different competitions- I've yet to see the same one twice.........

Is it just me, or is the etray familiarity exercise just a re-skinning of the very same one from 2015? Translation Service renamed to Training Board, but pretty much the same question/scenario.

The best bit of advice I ever got in the Civil Service was "why reinvent the wheel when you can copy and paste the wheel".

That's good advice for the etray - copy and paste F.*&in everything into the submission.

The etray is structurally the same as last time. Questions are different.

Gillyboard wrote: »
    Hi, feel free not to answer, but I was wondering is there a written excercise at the end of the etray like the letter we were asked to do in example
    TIA Gx

There is one large submission and one smaller letter along with answering phone calls emails and loads of reading

It is very similar to the last one -just a few tweaks -I actually cannot wait to see my marks as it is impossible to guess how you did in it based on my previous experience. The best thing about this time is I could go home after instead of facing into an interview

Heading into PAS now. Failed the etray last time, but have a few areas where I know I can improve.
    Last time I failed to restate the problem and no final conclusion, and of course not enough BS in the submission.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

pfitzp90 wrote: »
    The etray is structurally the same as last time. Questions are different.

The psychologist in PAS was involved in setting the questions this time round- alongside pre-existing officers. It would appear they are looking for a particular mindset- along with someone who will fit in organisation wise- and not stray off the reservation.........

Heading into PAS now. Failed the etray last time, but have a few areas where I know I can improve.
    Last time I failed to restate the problem and no final conclusion, and of course not enough BS in the submission.

Best of luck this morning and thanks for your advice above!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ATTY

On the etray; did anybody notice that on the email about the training session being cancelled that in the multiple choice it gave a different name to the person mentioned in the body of the email.

I can't remember the exact names but it said something like, 'two of your staff Damien and Saffron are registered to attend the course', but in the multiple choice one option was something like 'talk to Neil and Saffron directly and email the rest of your staff'.

Was this a mistake or was it to catch us out??

I'm concerned because I thought this was the best option to pick but then couldn't pick it and had to choose a different option.

• Advertisement

Hi - yes I saw the mistakes. There were at least 2 that I noticed. I documented them on my Notes and roughwork and advised that I made a choice based on the assumption that there was a mistake on the etray. I think the staff names relate to the 2015 etray. Eg the polish question was Chinese in 2015 and the table in this exercise still references Chinese.

etray was worse than last time for me. Definitely didn't pass it.
    Requirements were so vague - I couldn't think of content relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 shibbyj

etray was worse than last time for me. Definitely didn't pass it.
    Requirements were so vague - I couldn't think of content relevant.

Sorry for you pfitzp90. It was a disaster for me from beginning to end...no pass here either. Couldn't seem to focus at all....at the numerical stage I knew it was gone down the pan and couldn't switch back into mode. oh well, maybe next time!

The E-tray familiarisation is quite interesting. First time I've ever done anything like this.

To be honest, however it goes for me I'm ok with these kinds of tests. At least they test 'on the job skills' that are relevant to the role as opposed to abstracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The E-tray familiarisation is quite interesting. First time I've ever done anything like this.

To be honest, however it goes for me I'm ok with these kinds of tests. At least they test 'on the job skills' that are relevant to the role as opposed to abstracts.
    They dont really though. They are another method of cutting numbers down. At no point in the entire process is your past performance in other roles really analysed or investigated. Even the competancy based side of it all doesnt actually analyse past performance or verifies that what you are saying is actually backed up with performance and attitude.

kippy wrote: »
    They dont really though. They are another method of cutting numbers down. At no point in the entire process is your past performance in other roles really analysed or investigated. Even the competancy based side of it all doesnt actually analyse past performance or verifies that what you are saying is actually backed up with performance and attitude.

Well, given that they have to cut down numbers in a way that is reasonably efficient, I think it's reasonably fair.

I'm thinking of one specific position I applied for before (at the NMTA). Did very well at verbal and numerical tests but bombed out in the abstract one. Just didn't perform on the day. But felt pretty disheartened that my ability at predicted patterns in shaded triangles is what sunk me.

The e-tray is measuring skills that are relevant to the position. So I think it's fairer than other methods out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 monksfield

Just finished up there from today's morning session, (was ranked in the 300s in the Open from Stage 1)

Was pretty happy overall until I clicked the wrong button and missed the main etray submission deadline by max. 2 seconds, so automatic fail for me.

Suppose a lesson for those following on to ensure you hold full concentration right to the last few minutes!

We finished the last test (etray) about noon. Best of luck to all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Oh Monksfield , that sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭salomon

Well that was an ordeal.

I lost interest during e-tray so it's a no for me

• Advertisement

monksfield wrote: »
    Just finished up there from today's morning session, (was ranked in the 300s in the Open from Stage 1)

Was pretty happy overall until I clicked the wrong button and missed the main etray submission deadline by max. 2 seconds, so automatic fail for me.

Suppose a lesson for those following on to ensure you hold full concentration right to the last few minutes!

We finished the last test (etray) about noon. Best of luck to all!

Ah flip. A (harsh) lesson learned though. We've all been there!

Sounds like the etray is pretty intense.

Are the verbal and numericals the same size as the stage 1 ones?

Advertisement