Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 JoeMac7

...and the above timelines look very tight in places.

You have me thinking there. Are competitions usually announced over the Summer?

The last AP in 2015 was announced in June and the Stage 1 results came out in August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

The 2016 Co was advertised in May or June as well if I remember correctly

No, I think that one was nov/dec, late October at the very earliest.

JoeMac7 wrote: »
    No, I think that one was nov/dec, late October at the very earliest.

Nope just checked my public jobs and it was June with stage 1 part a end of June, part b in July and stage 2 August. Interviews for regions started in October and Dublin had commenced sometime before that

Sorry CO, I miss read that, got the AP on my mind!!

Sorry CO, I miss read that, got the AP on my mind!!

No problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Woodenframe

Slow clearance week...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 noitall

I placed in the mid thirties and when I called PAS yesterday they said I should expect to hear something between 3 and six weeks (but of course no garauntees)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

I wonder will that batch stretch into the 40s or even 50s fingers crossed they are being conservative with the timing

• Registered Users Posts: 2 noitall

Well I would think theres a good chance as they called another batch after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

johnboyire wrote: »
    I wonder will that batch stretch into the 40s or even 50s fingers crossed they are being conservative with the timing

Working on averages and assuming that this remains a pattern. I.e another 6 weeks to call each batch of 10 people, that brings us to 35 by mid June, 45 start August, 55 by mid September, end October for 65.

I'm also hoping that they're being conservative with the timing as I'd just squeeze in based on these numbers however I'm not panicking. Little point in it as if the above is correct, there's nothing I can do about it anyway.

whampiri wrote: »
    Working on averages and assuming that this remains a pattern. I.e another 6 weeks to call each batch of 10 people, that brings us to 35 by mid June, 45 start August, 55 by mid September, end October for 65.

I'm also hoping that their being conservative with the timing as I'd just squeeze in based on these numbers however I'm not panicking. Little point in it as if the above is correct, there's nothing I can do about it anyway.

My experience with PAS to date would say that trying to figure them out using data or calculations is futile. It’s feast or famine. It wouldn’t surprise me if it does take 3-6 weeks of nothing but then they wipe out the rest of the panel in one fail swoop. As others have said there wouldn’t be a panel below us if they didn’t think they’d exhaust ours.

Sit back and relax, if you’re placed it will come to you when PAS are good and ready haha!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Good advice JoeMac7. Im in the 50's. Gives me time to sort out where the hell im going to live as i will be moving from Cavan to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 miss_miaigi

I'm also hoping that they're being conservative with the timing as I'd just squeeze in based on these numbers however I'm not panicking. Little point in it as if the above is correct, there's nothing I can do about it anyway.

And lets not forget the cross over between the two panels! Could move a bit quicker than that as they seem to be pulling off both at the moment.

• Advertisement

And lets not forget the cross over between the two panels! Could move a bit quicker than that as they seem to be pulling off both at the moment.

To be honest with there only being 3 non civil servants in the top 30 (I know this because I’m 30 inter and 33 open) it’s pretty much just one panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 miss_miaigi

To be honest with there only being 3 non civil servants in the top 30 (I know this because I’m 30 inter and 33 open) it’s pretty much just one panel.

That's what I meant. There's only about 6 in the top 50 as that's the difference in between where I am on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SmasherC

HR was onto my manager today about the clearance process. Looks like PAS have started it for the second batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Mredmond

SmasherC wrote: »
    HR was onto my manager today about the clearance process. Looks like PAS have started it for the second batch.

What number are you Smasher?

in the mid to late twenties

• Advertisement

Good stuff!

They should be hitting the 30's very soon so.

The suspense is killing me, was that a straggler from the last batch or the start of a new one ��

The suspense is killing me, was that a straggler from the last batch or the start of a new one ��

What are you referring to? a straggler from the last batch??? PAS are currently calling those who did their interview in March and April.

What are you referring to? a straggler from the last batch??? PAS are currently calling those who did their interview in March and April.

The last batch of 25 from the current panel

The last batch of 25 from the current panel

Ah, well someone mid to high 20s just went into clearance during the week. At a guess that's 27.

I was 26th on the panel. HR contacted my manger yesterday and I got my assignment today. Really quick turnaround. Hope it’s as quick for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭elgicko

SmasherC wrote: »
    I was 26th on the panel. HR contacted my manger yesterday and I got my assignment today. Really quick turnaround. Hope it’s as quick for everyone else.

Wow, that was a quick turnaround!

Congrats smasher, all the best in the new role, I assume with the quick turnaround you are staying in your Dept?

This panel is moving very fast!

Was kept in my dept alright.

From looking at AP's in my department its a suited and booted dress code. Anybody who is on the panel any visible tattoos that they will have to hide. Im presuming the AP role will involve a LOT of face to face meetings. FTR i have 2 sleeves but can get away with showing them in my current dept

• Advertisement

gazzer wrote: »
    From looking at AP's in my department its a suited and booted dress code. Anybody who is on the panel any visible tattoos that they will have to hide. Im presuming the AP role will involve a LOT of face to face meetings. FTR i have 2 sleeves but can get away with showing them in my current dept

There may be a dress code but tattoos etc need not be covered in any Dept and while face to face meetings happen a lot, I'd only cover them up if meeting executive board or members of political orgs for politeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Phonecrazy

We are a changing breed as a whole,so I wouldn’t worry so much about the tattoos. I know APs with them so you’re not the first! Without a dress code, there is an expectation of formality. A suit or chinos and a nice shirt for more casual days would be the norm. I wouldn’t be slathering on the coverup every morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CorkBhoy

Has anyone any idea if there's been many appointments for Cork on this panel?

I'm 3rd batch - I was around 8th for Cork Inter-D a couple of months back. Just wondering if anyone has a clue if there's much chance of an appointment between now and October?

CorkBhoy wrote: »

I'm 3rd batch - I was around 8th for Cork Inter-D a couple of months back. Just wondering if anyone has a clue if there's much chance of an appointment between now and October?

2 hopes I'd say. There's very few AP positions in Cork unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Poppy2017

CorkBhoy, I'm down for 2 counties also (not Cork), I usually contact PAS once a month to see if there is any movement etc, they are pretty good at responding, never say never, we have got a few off the panel in my current location !!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Enova

CorkBhoy, I'm a similar number for the Cork Inter-D panel (checked last week). There has been some moment over the last few months. I'd be interested to hear if you get more of an update. Good luck.

Enova wrote: »
    CorkBhoy, I'm a similar number for the Cork Inter-D panel (checked last week). There has been some moment over the last few months. I'd be interested to hear if you get more of an update. Good luck.

I noticed the movement also so who knows. I'll not be making any financial plans off the back of it mind. Will post if I hear anything of note. You from the 3rd batch also?

I noticed the movement also so who knows. I'll not be making any financial plans off the back of it mind. Will post if I hear anything of note. You from the 3rd batch also?

Yep, 3rd batch. Fingers crossed there'll be a flurry of retirements Leeside.

Yep, 3rd batch. Fingers crossed there'll be a flurry of retirements Leeside.

Absolutely - good luck!

• Advertisement

Absolutely - good luck!

You too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 Langemarck

Just got confirmation I passed my interview. 🀗. Do you know what way it will work with working through the batches? Do they have to exhaust all on the last batch first before starting on the most recent one which I would be on? I am looking for a position in Dublin. Thanks

Langemarck wrote: »
    Just got confirmation I passed my interview. 🀗. Do you know what way it will work with working through the batches? Do they have to exhaust all on the last batch first before starting on the most recent one which I would be on? I am looking for a position in Dublin. Thanks

Yes they’d have to go through all of the previous batch first. The latest we have heard is that they have done clearance/appointment to 26. Hoping for some movement further down this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 Langemarck

Yes they’d have to go through all of the previous batch first. The latest we have heard is that they have done clearance/appointment to 26. Hoping for some movement further down this week.

Thanks! The previous batch goes up to around the 60s? I think I'll be staying put so for a couple of months if it has to get to the 60s.

Langemarck wrote: »
    Thanks! The previous batch goes up to around the 60s? I think I'll be staying put so for a couple of months if it has to get to the 60s.

I think the lowest I’ve seen mention on here is 72/73? That’s not to say there’s not lower out there not on boards!! I’d hazard a guess at 75/80.

They are flying through the panels at the moment but I’d say 2/3 months would be a realistic time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sodacake1968

Quite high myself on the Cork panels - there are a number of AP positions in Revenue but seeing as they have just concluded another internal comp I wouldnt be too confident of seeing vacancies filled by the open or interd

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Are Revenue under the same rules as other Departments- that is 2 from the Interdepartmental for each internal promotion?
    DSEAP seem to be running completely rogue- and are ignoring the interdepartmental, just trying to get a feel for whats happening in other Departments..........

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sodacake1968

All departments seem to go "rogue" - as you put it. Revenue always wish to retain as it cuts down on training etc
    DEASP is another case entirely - there doesnt seem to be any pattern to promotions - vacant positions are being suppressed also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Are Revenue under the same rules as other Departments- that is 2 from the Interdepartmental for each internal promotion?
    DSEAP seem to be running completely rogue- and are ignoring the interdepartmental, just trying to get a feel for whats happening in other Departments..........

Did you get on the panel?

Quite high myself on the Cork panels - there are a number of AP positions in Revenue but seeing as they have just concluded another internal comp I wouldnt be too confident of seeing vacancies filled by the open or interd

Thanks, Sodacake1968. I'm more curious about Dept. of Agriculture, Food and Marine in Clon. Anyone know what the age profile is there?

Did Revenue not get their wrist slapped a few years back for oversubscribing on internal comps? I have a very hazy recollection, couldn't swear to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sheepstealer

Thanks, Sodacake1968. I'm more curious about Dept. of Agriculture, Food and Marine in Clon. Anyone know what the age profile is there?

Did Revenue not get their wrist slapped a few years back for oversubscribing on internal comps? I have a very hazy recollection, couldn't swear to it.

They did yes as did a number of other departments for ignoring DPER policy on the filling of vacancies. It created difficulties when promotions started up again and I think Revenue owed nearly 300 at one stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement