Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

JoeMac7 wrote: »
    Departments also will sometimes go on the hunt for certain skills. I know our place wants as many lawyers as possible at AP level so will give PAS a heads up that they’re after a solicitor or barrister and wait to put in their request until it gets to the point where one of those is in the next batch

PRA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Phonecrazy wrote: »
    Any assignments yet (after #26)?

We're up to the 40s on the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Phonecrazy

whampiri wrote: »
    We're up to the 40s on the open.

Up to 40s in clearance as I understand it. I wanted to know had anyone gotten their assigned departments yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 JoeMac7

PRA?

Yeah

Phonecrazy wrote: »
    Up to 40s in clearance as I understand it. I wanted to know had anyone gotten their assigned departments yet?

That’s right, in the early 30s and I’m in clearance but no word on an appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 38 confusted

Damn data protection message from Public Jobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Woodenframe

Garda clearance says disclosure returned to PAS, non-CS. Took just over a week. Presume the next step is reference request from PAS, unless another layer of vetting required for certain positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sheepstealer

for those wondering on the next AP/PO comps the following PQ answer might help

"To ask the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform when a new round of applications will open for positions (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. Willie Penrose TD
    Details Supplied
    Executive Officer, Higher Executive Officer, Administration Officers, Senior Staff Officers, Assistant Principal Officers and Principal Officers

As the Deputy will be aware, the Public Appointments Service (PAS), is the independent recruiter of people for the civil service through open and interdepartmental competitions.
    While there are many factors affecting recruitment the most important are the expected number of staff who will leave in the near future, existing panels in place and the demand for staff based on the work to be carried out by departments/offices.
    I understand from PAS that it intends to hold the following competitions in 2018/2019;

Executive Officers Quarter 3 2018
    Higher Executive Officers To be decided
    Administrative Officers Quarter 3 2018
    Assistant Principal Officers Quarter 2 2018
    Principal Officers Quarter 1 2019

I would emphasise that these dates are subject to change.
    The grade of Staff Officer no longer exists in the civil service."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Q2 would imply a comp opening in the next few weeks.... Can't see that happening, although I'd love to be wrong.
    Maybe they're running a little behind.
    Thanks for the information! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

"To ask the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform when a new round of applications will open for positions (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. Willie Penrose TD
    Details Supplied
    Executive Officer, Higher Executive Officer, Administration Officers, Senior Staff Officers, Assistant Principal Officers and Principal Officers

As the Deputy will be aware, the Public Appointments Service (PAS), is the independent recruiter of people for the civil service through open and interdepartmental competitions.
    While there are many factors affecting recruitment the most important are the expected number of staff who will leave in the near future, existing panels in place and the demand for staff based on the work to be carried out by departments/offices.
    I understand from PAS that it intends to hold the following competitions in 2018/2019;

A few offers on the current panel this week would be good too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Details Supplied

When was this asked

To answer my own question, it's from May 15th

So the next step is a ref from current employers... it seems like it has to be a proper reference rather than Just confirming employment. Not too keen to ask current employers for ref without an actual job offer.
    Anyone any experience of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So the next step is a ref from current employers... it seems like it has to be a proper reference rather than Just confirming employment. Not too keen to ask current employers for ref without an actual job offer.
    It's a difficult situation, but they won't proceed without a clean reference. I was able to get the HR manager to do the reference in confidence, without letting my line manager know.

Yes, ask for the reference unless you don't want the role. There's no way around it and if they've gone this far, you can take it that it's everything but a job offer.

They're hardly going to offer you a posting without checking references first. No organization does that.

• Advertisement

It's a difficult situation, but they won't proceed without a clean reference. I was able to get the HR manager to do the reference in confidence, without letting my line manager know.

It's a straight to CEO jobbie here so don't relish the thoughts without that job offer on paper! However, needs must :)

whampiri wrote: »
    Yes, ask for the reference unless you don't want the role. There's no way around it and if they've gone this far, you can take it that it's everything but a job offer.

They're hardly going to offer you a posting without checking references first. No organization does that.

True, however, usually one has a job offer before the perspective employer asks permission to contact one's current employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 miss_miaigi

True, however, usually one has a job offer before the perspective employer asks permission to contact one's current employer.

Ah but this is the Cvivil Service and not everything is done in a way that makes sense or how you would expect it!

anyone put a call / email in this week? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Babsiboo

Usually you will not go in to clearance without a post available so if health, reference, clearance etc check out you are then assigned. PAS won't clear and assign any further numbers unless all other previous numbers have been cleared and assigned.

• Advertisement

Babsiboo wrote: »
    PAS won't clear and assign any further numbers unless all other previous numbers have been cleared and assigned.

so if thats the case we are waiting on clearance to finish then more roles to become available?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Babsiboo

johnboyire wrote: »
    so if thats the case we are waiting on clearance to finish then more roles to become available?

They have put up to mid 40s (open) in to clearance but the assignments haven't caught up. For example number 40 could have sent everything back but until the lower numbers sends their clearance, and whatever else is needed no further assignments can be made.

No word on any movement this week?

No word on any movement this week?

Hopefully we hear something on moves today. Pace of ppl being called for clearance has suddenly slowed to a crawl.

hopefully this is the calm before the clearance storm

Fingers crossed because I didn't hear of any movement on the list last week.

I think we need the appointments storm first!! There’s about 20 of us in clearance at the moment, we’re going to need to be appointed before they go to clear anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Turty3

I think we need the appointments storm first!! There’s about 20 of us in clearance at the moment, we’re going to need to be appointed before they go to clear anyone else.

I've a friend who was contacted with an appointment on Friday, had been in first 30 called to clearance so hopefully the second lot (into 40s) will get appointments very soon and clearance for the rest will move forward before Summer leave periods really slow things down.

Turty3 wrote: »
    I've a friend who was contacted with an appointment on Friday, had been in first 30 called to clearance so hopefully the second lot (into 40s) will get appointments very soon and clearance for the rest will move forward before Summer leave periods really slow things down.

I’m 30/33 so fingers crossed for it being soon!! The waiting is a killer lol.

Scratch that!! Literally just got my appointment notice through.

Been appointed back to the PRA but hadn't specifically requested it.

• Advertisement

Scratch that!! Literally just got my appointment notice through.

Been appointed back to the PRA but hadn't specifically requested it.

Congrats! Also great to hear it is moving again.

Now we need someone further down in the 30s to keep us posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Poppy2017

any recent movement in the regions ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2018-05-15a.540&s=%22Staff+officer%22#g542.r

PQ last month indicated new AP competition in Q2 this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Im starting to get a bit stressed now that they wont get to my number on the panel

Mid 30s open now finished clearing and awaiting contact from new Dept! :D

gazzer wrote: »
    Im starting to get a bit stressed now that they wont get to my number on the panel
    Still a good 5 or 6 months left so doubt you have to fret yet :)

gazzer wrote: »

As mentioned above. The only reason I'd be worried is if I was in the 3.1 panel, and even then I'd be fairly certain that a number if them will be called. How many is unknown.

I think PAS should set up a panel count in their site so that they don't get calls every day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

quad_red wrote: »
    https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2018-05-15a.540&s=%22Staff+officer%22#g542.r

PQ last month indicated new AP competition in Q2 this year?

Yes- they're behind schedule- they're now saying August/Sept- and are in the process of putting interview boards together- which will obviously be after Stage 1- which would indicate an actual announcement could be at any time- with a Stage 1 (online tests) at some stage over the next 8-10 weeks.

Yes- they're behind schedule- they're now saying August/Sept- and are in the process of putting interview boards together- which will obviously be after Stage 1- which would indicate an actual announcement could be at any time- with a Stage 1 (online tests) at some stage over the next 8-10 weeks.

Would love if they would just get it announced so we can start working on those awful forms ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Late 40s (open) and the boss advised me today the clearance form was returned to HR about 5 minutes after he received it.

Late 40s (open) and the boss advised me today the clearance form was returned to HR about 5 minutes after he received it.

Mine did the same this morning. I'm low 50s on the open.

HR told him they expect it to be 6 to 8 weeks before assignment but they can't say for certain as PAS don't let them know until they are moving me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Phonecrazy

Early 30s, was assigned a department this week.

Has anyone been sent to 'clearance' or given an appointment from the Interdepartmental Panel?

I'm wondering how they're working through them. It appears all promotions to-date have been directly from the Open panel; is that correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Is there much of a difference between the number at open and the number at interdepartmental?

no, it seems from previous posts here that there is only about 6 or 7 more on open panel :)

• Advertisement

no, it seems from previous posts here that there is only about 6 or 7 more on open panel :)

When you get down further on the panels (60s/70s) the gap increases to >10. I'm low 70s on Open and low 60s on Interdept. Haven't figured it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Enova

Any updates from those on the Kerry and Cork panels?

Enova wrote: »
    Any updates from those on the Kerry and Cork panels?

Your best bet on this is to contact PAS. There doesn't seem to be any reply whenever this question is asked. Means either 1. There's nobody here on the regional panel or 2. There's no news.

Hi all so we are into the 50s on the open panel, good stuff.

Just to confirm the process, do you get contacted, are told you have a position in xyz, if you accept clearance begins, once clearance is completed you then get a date for placement?

Is that it in a nutshell?

Turty3 wrote: »
    Has anyone been sent to 'clearance' or given an appointment from the Interdepartmental Panel?

I'm wondering how they're working through them. It appears all promotions to-date have been directly from the Open panel; is that correct?

My appointment back to the PRA was headed as being from the inter panel

• Advertisement
Advertisement