Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Revcarney

I would like to know what it is like to work in dept of health?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Revcarney wrote: »

You should be able to find their statement of strategy on the website. Not sure what its actually like to work with them but they are due to move their HQ to Baggot Street this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Turty3

Got a message about my assignment this afternoon! Going to DBEI.

Congratulations & best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Revcarney wrote: »

This is all just an opinion so people who are more in the know might give better info.

Small enough Dept, moving from Hawkins House to a new building on Baggot Street. A real policy Department that spends quite a lot of time serving the political system as well as working closely with the HSE. Like all Govt Depts has seen an influx of recent new recruits. Would expect that, in general, an AP there would be very policy driven, more than likely not too many staff inputting strongly into national policy and PQs, Reps, Briefing, Speeches, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I’m an existing AP taken off the Inter D for this competition. I rang PAS today and they told me that for the 2 counties I picked i an number 2 and number 4 respectively. As far as they are aware panel runs until 31/10 despite reports to the contrary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 tfunk

I checked witb PAS re: the Dublin panel earlier. Still at approx. 60 on the open.

Patience is a virtue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 Langemarck

Slightly off topic but has anyone any experience of moving from public sector to civil.service mid way through a graduate course? I am planning on starting a diploma in September and my current job will pay fees but if I get called from the panel in October, I could have to repay them. In
    The civil service circular this is not required when moving within civil service. I am wondering if I could apply this rule moving from public to civil service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Langemarck wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but has anyone any experience of moving from public sector to civil.service mid way through a graduate course? I am planning on starting a diploma in September and my current job will pay fees but if I get called from the panel in October, I could have to repay them. In
    The civil service circular this is not required when moving within civil service. I am wondering if I could apply this rule moving from public to civil service?

Contact your hr unit. It's a decision for them to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Poppy2017

I’m an existing AP taken off the Inter D for this competition. I rang PAS today and they told me that for the 2 counties I picked i an number 2 and number 4 respectively. As far as they are aware panel runs until 31/10 despite reports to the contrary.

hi Clonmel1000, don't fully understand your post - if you are an AP how have you still got a placing for 2 counties ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

No movement in my region in months apart from me going from 2nd to 3rd on the open panel which I'm completely confused about. I thought the panel could only move one way. The response from PAS has added to the confusion "the positions are subject to variance from time to time based on ongoing regional recruitment".

• Advertisement

No movement in my region in months apart from me going from 2nd to 3rd on the open panel which I'm completely confused about. I thought the panel could only move one way. The response from PAS has added to the confusion "the positions are subject to variance from time to time based on ongoing regional recruitment".
    I was told if you were 2 for Cork for example and people ahead of you had cork and another location and were gone into clearance for that other location so had come off cork panel too they can refuse the other location after clearance process and decide to come back on cork panel. Hope I'm making sense!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Poppy2017 wrote: »
    I was told if you were 2 for Cork for example and people ahead of you had cork and another location and were gone into clearance for that other location so had come off cork panel too they can refuse the other location after clearance process and decide to come back on cork panel. Hope I'm making sense!!

Thanks for that. First time on one of these panels so will just have to ignore my positioning then. Only have been through internal competitions before where the panel moved in one direction only as far as I was aware.

Thanks for that. First time on one of these panels so will just have to ignore my positioning then. Only have been through internal competitions before where the panel moved in one direction only as far as I was aware.

Normally it shouldn't happen much but if someone wanted a particular location and they were fairly certain there would b a vacancy. I only know this because PAS explained it when I got my last update!

When I enquired about placement on a regional panel PAS told me that the Dublin panel is being cleared first before regions are examined...:rolleyes:

Turty3 wrote: »
    When I enquired about placement on a regional panel PAS told me that the Dublin panel is being cleared first before regions are examined...:rolleyes:

Interesting but a little strange as there are a number of high scoring people who will have already taken up posts. Was it suggested that they'll be able to take a regional post after being appointed in Dublin?

whampiri wrote: »
    Interesting but a little strange as there are a number of high scoring people who will have already taken up posts. Was it suggested that they'll be able to take a regional post after being appointed in Dublin?

Nope & I didn't query further because I was confused by the comment, apologies if this now adds to the confusion here. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 38 confusted

Panel update: low 60s have been called today to begin clearance. Cannot express how thrilled I am for lots of different reasons and just hoping it all goes through smoothly. Fingers crossed. Will let you guys know how long this part of the process takes. Hang in there everyone and thanks for the advice along the way. Brilliant help.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clarenceworley

confusted wrote: »
    Panel update: low 60s have been called today to begin clearance. Cannot express how thrilled I am for lots of different reasons and just hoping it all goes through smoothly. Fingers crossed. Will let you guys know how long this part of the process takes. Hang in there everyone and thanks for the advice along the way. Brilliant help.

Low 60's inter d???

Low 60's inter d???

Open

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Zoolujookie

Hey everyone.
    Just wanted to give those of us from batch 1&2 patiently waiting for a regional post a shout out! don't give up yet!! I've been on the panel a long time and just about to begin prepping for internal comps then got the call!! I'm hoping the regional posts open up soon for those of us that have been on the panel a long time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Omnishambles99

Hey everyone.
    Just wanted to give those of us from batch 1&2 patiently waiting for a regional post a shout out! don't give up yet!! I've been on the panel a long time and just about to begin prepping for internal comps then got the call!! I'm hoping the regional posts open up soon for those of us that have been on the panel a long time...

Congrats ! Great news !

Just got news myself that I've gotten onto an internal panel so delighted !!

Hey everyone.

Congratulations Zoolujookie !! Us Region Only folk won't give up hope just yet !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Danesfort101

Hey everyone.

Congrats Zoolujookie! Well done. It's a long process. Like you, and Others, I am Regional only. Just one Region. I was placed top 5 originally (June 17) and I'm currently 1st. there's very little movement and time is tight but what's for me won't pass me! Congrats again, best of luck and a shout out to all the Regional people.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Enova

Hey everyone.

Congratulations, Zoolujookie. Great to hear of someone on the regionals finally getting a move.

Just heard that some people received notification of appointment today. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sodacake1968

Would it be possible to get the regional locations that the positions were filled

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Tedda2016

Hi folks,

Congrats to everyone so far.

Maybe the wrong thread to ask, but does anyone know when the next open or inter-departmental AP comp will open? 2019?

Thanks

Tedda2016 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Maybe the wrong thread to ask, but does anyone know when the next open or inter-departmental AP comp will open? 2019?

Thanks

This panel closes at end of October. Hard to say when the new one starts. May be at the end of October or November but if neither of those, you're looking at Jan 2019 but these are guesses.

Tedda2016 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Thanks

According to a PQ answered in May (which is on this thread somewhere) a new AP comp was due to be announced by the end of Q2 2018 which hasn’t yet happened.

Found the PQ.

"To ask the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform when a new round of applications will open for positions (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. Willie Penrose TD
    Details Supplied
    Executive Officer, Higher Executive Officer, Administration Officers, Senior Staff Officers, Assistant Principal Officers and Principal Officers

As the Deputy will be aware, the Public Appointments Service (PAS), is the independent recruiter of people for the civil service through open and interdepartmental competitions.
    While there are many factors affecting recruitment the most important are the expected number of staff who will leave in the near future, existing panels in place and the demand for staff based on the work to be carried out by departments/offices.
    I understand from PAS that it intends to hold the following competitions in 2018/2019;

Executive Officers Quarter 3 2018
    Higher Executive Officers To be decided
    Administrative Officers Quarter 3 2018
    Assistant Principal Officers Quarter 2 2018
    Principal Officers Quarter 1 2019

I would emphasise that these dates are subject to change.
    The grade of Staff Officer no longer exists in the civil service."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

No, someone posted updated information. AP was late 2018 in it.

Probably in this thread a few pages back

I now know the feeling of "The Wait". I thought they were wrong. It couldn't be that bad. Just sit back and it'll happen when it happens I said.......I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tfunk

I now know the feeling of "The Wait". I thought they were wrong. It couldn't be that bad. Just sit back and it'll happen when it happens I said.......I was wrong.

Tom Petty was right. The waiting IS the hardest part.

Not long now I hope.

A few emails are going round at the moment from Departments looking for APs on secondment, is this a sign that appointments are going to start slowing down?

A few emails are going round at the moment from Departments looking for APs on secondment, is this a sign that appointments are going to start slowing down?

Could be; there have been other AP competitions recently too, one for HR APs across civil service, currently FSPO / HEA / Pen Auth looking too so not every appointment comes from PAS. On the bright side I heard last week PAS has reached #63 from Open panel.

Turty3 wrote: »
    Could be; there have been other AP competitions recently too, one for HR APs across civil service, currently FSPO / HEA / Pen Auth looking too so not every appointment comes from PAS. On the bright side I heard last week PAS has reached #63 from Open panel.

Secondment will always take a few numbers. I haven't noticed there being an unusually high amount of them, however there are a few other competitions coming on stream or being finalised. Combined with the summer, it may have an effect on the speed people are drawn down.

I'd heard that no. 62 had entered clearance. Glad to hear that I was wrong and that it's 63. One less until they get to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Loloc78

Do we know what the highest number on panel 2 is? I’m on panel 3 patiently waiting :)

Loloc78 wrote: »
    Do we know what the highest number on panel 2 is? I’m on panel 3 patiently waiting :)

Somebody mentioned that they were no.77. I haven't heard any higher than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clarenceworley

Loloc78 wrote: »

Highest I have seen on here is 77 open...which means around 69 on inter d??? Maybe...perhaps...

If currently on 63 open...would mean 54 interdepartmental....

I too am waiting in batch 3...heard a rumour that the panel wouldn't expire until the new panel was in place...this would be great as the 2018 AP comp is now late. However...PAS wont confirm anything and say the expiration date stands at 31st October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Highest I have seen on here is 77 open...which means around 69 on inter d??? Maybe...perhaps...

If currently on 63 open...would mean 54 interdepartmental....

I too am waiting in batch 3...heard a rumour that the panel wouldn't expire until the new panel was in place...this would be great as the 2018 AP comp is now late. However...PAS wont confirm anything and say the expiration date stands at 31st October.

And I was talking to someone in pas yesterday who said they still have no projected start date for new campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Waylander301

I'm 64 in the Open (54 Inter-D) - clearance papers arrived into my HR Unit today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭elgicko

I'm 64 in the Open (54 Inter-D) - clearance papers arrived into my HR Unit today.

Thanks for info, congrats. Did you get notification from PAS that you were entering clearance?

elgicko wrote: »
    Thanks for info, congrats. Did you get notification from PAS that you were entering clearance?

Afaik, it's your hr unit that gets notification not you. You're only notified on appointment but if you're in the CS, you can check with HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Waylander301

elgicko wrote: »

Thanks... It was local HR who told me.

Congrats & best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 miss_miaigi

Anyone know roughly how long it is generally between assignment and starting date? I know there is a gentleman's agreement between Departments of 4 weeks but my start date is now 6.5 weeks after I got notice of assignment which seems excessive.

Anyone know roughly how long it is generally between assignment and starting date? I know there is a gentleman's agreement between Departments of 4 weeks but my start date is now 6.5 weeks after I got notice of assignment which seems excessive.

It can depend on the pay period. 4-6 weeks would be the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 miss_miaigi

It can depend on the pay period. 4-6 weeks would be the norm.

We had agreed a start date that was then confirmed approved by my Manager and Local HR and then they pushed it out further when I went to meet them.

Doesn't appear to be any late Friday email this week.

Doesn't appear to be any late Friday email this week.

Was two weeks, or almost, I think between the second last call and my call whampiri. Hang in there!

Tis fierce quiet here this week, assuming the exodus has begun and clearance has now slowed for the Summer. Fingers crossed things pick up again soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement