Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW 2016 Open and Interdepartmental Assistant Principal in Civil Service competition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

monksfield wrote: »
    Just finished up there from today's morning session, (was ranked in the 300s in the Open from Stage 1)

Was pretty happy overall until I clicked the wrong button and missed the main etray submission deadline by max. 2 seconds, so automatic fail for me.

Suppose a lesson for those following on to ensure you hold full concentration right to the last few minutes!

We finished the last test (etray) about noon. Best of luck to all!

Surely whatever is on your screen when the session ends is automatically saved?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pfitzp90

I was told by someone from the last competition that they failed to even submit the main
    submission, and they still passed the etray! No one said its an automatic fail if you don't submit
    by 11:10 - everyone is just assuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 monksfield

Yup, verbal and numericals are the same. Slightly different situational/job simulation (bespoke PAS test this time) but not materially so.

I don't think anything is saved unless you've clicked 'Save and Close' or clicked 'Submit'. Also I don't think anything is marked unless it's submitted before the relevant deadline in the test. (There are two).

Unfortunately I clicked 'Save and Close' just at the deadline rather than 'Submit'. Took a few seconds to get back and click 'Submit', thus missing the deadline by about 2 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

What's etray and what's involved in it.

kala85 wrote: »
    What's etray and what's involved in it.

I've done it and I still don't know!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 monksfield

E-tray is a PC-based job simulation exercise where over the course of about 90mins in this case you prepare documents and respond to virtual emails/phone messages. The AP one is similar but not exactly like the below:

www[dot]assessmentday[dot]co[dot]uk/free/e-tray/index[dot]html

(Excuse the [dot]s, I'm a noob with no rights)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 GorSin

I submitted just at 11:10, not before it. I was hoping it would be counted. Maybe that's naive of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Good luck today all who are doing it.

I'm the utterly soaked guy - got utterly nailed by a florist van smashing through a puddle.

But it means I'm utterly prepared for the 'if your dept was submerged by rising sea levels' simulation questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 newjob2017

Hello there,

I am going for the supervised aptitude tests later this week (including the etray, which I am dreading). However, the problem I have is that neither of my photo IDs are less than five years old. I went to the NDLS centre last week to change the address on my driving licence, but don't think it will be with me by Thursday. I had been led to believe that you got your new licence on the day, and didn't check. My bad.

I was thinking of going to the Guards to verify a photo for me. My Grandaunt who never had a passport or driving licence had to get this for the bank one time. I will be absolutely kicking myself if I am refused entry to the test centre because of a photo ID technicality. Any advice most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DeirdreDee

My ID was over five years old. No problem. As long as you look sort of the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I don't think you need "new " ID. Driving licence and a passport photo for them to pin to your application is fine

Thanks so much DeirdreDee and Tea and Coffee, I was getting seriously worried.

Here is the relevant section from the Stage 2 Pre-Test information:
    Before you arrive at your test centre, please ensure that you have the following items with you:
    1. A print out of your invitation to attend Stage 2 test session.
    2. A passport photograph. You will be required to sign the back of the photo on registration at the test centre.
    3. Identification documents. Please bring one of the following as Photo ID:
    • Passport
    • Drivers Licence
    • Public Services Card
    • National Identity Card

If your Identification document was issued more than five years ago, you must also bring additional photo identification with a more recent photograph.

I guess my verbal reasoning was kicking in;-) Also, I definitely haven't changed so much that I'm unrecognisable from my passport and driving licence. Disaster averted.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gics

My passport is nearly expired and my driving licence is even older but both looked like me (well a 20 year old version of me) and they took them both to check and all was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ZolaGood

I had my passport with me which was issued in 2008 and it was only when the went around checking that I remembered it was issued in my married name which I don't use for work! Had to hastily pull out my work ID but they weren't too concerned

gics wrote: »
    My passport is nearly expired and my driving licence is even older but both looked like me (well a 20 year old version of me) and they took them both to check and all was grand.

They don't check that at all.

Did the tests this morning. Found numerical allot harder than samples. Verbal similar.

Thought I did OK in etray until I realised Id left one email to reply to. I read that one and picked answers in approx the last 45 seconds. Eek.

So not holding out any hope of getting through. But experience was worth it.

Oh, that was not fun. Found it hard to get anything coherent down on "paper " for my manager with all those damn emails coming in!
    I felt so sorry for a few candidates who were still typing well after 11.10. I was thinking STOP! SUBMIT!

double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Oh, that was not fun. Found it hard to get anything coherent down on "paper " for my manager with all those damn emails coming in!
    I felt so sorry for a few candidates who were still typing well after 11.10. I was thinking STOP! SUBMIT!
    I felt the same. I don't think I wrote much, I just addressed each point in turn and made a recommendation at the end. No padding or waffle. I was exhausted afterwards!!! I'm glad it's over, as are you I bet!!!

Each point in turn?!?!? Ah well! I only got as far as making some recommendations and that was it based on what manager had said and the report / survey.

Was the 'report' due by 11:10 or 11:15? If it was 11:10 then I ballsed that up as well. Did one final read through but didn't actually submit it till 11:13.

Learning curve...

• Advertisement

quad_red wrote: »
    Was the 'report' due by 11:10 or 11:15? If it was 11:10 then I ballsed that up as well. Did one final read through but didn't actually submit it till 11:13.

Learning curve...

Don't sweat it. Only a minor error I'd say.

It was due by 11.10. Sorry for unnerving anyone :-( I understood from this thread that not submitting to manager in time was an autofail, but it appears that this isn't necessarily the case, so don't mind me!
    Carry on. ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

It was due by 11.10. Sorry for unnerving anyone :-( I understood from this thread that not submitting to manager in time was an autofail, but it appears that this isn't necessarily the case, so don't mind me!
    Carry on. ....

Yikes. I think I submitted mine at 11.13. :o
    Will be interesting to see the result, whatever the outcome... probably one of the trickiest exercises I ever did. It definitely put me through my paces...

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Yikes. I think I submitted mine at 11.13. :o
    Will be interesting to see the result, whatever the outcome... probably one of the trickiest exercises I ever did. It definitely put me through my paces...

Deffo not an auto fail fellas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Don't know if it's been mentioned recently but the PSEU released the figures for applications

3009 for open
    2175 for interdepartmental

75% passed the maths

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭timfinnegan

The e tray was really difficult. The guy in front of me appeared to be a touch typist. He had a page typed by the time I had finished reading the documents and was still hamering the keyboard at 11 10. He must have completed a disertation on the report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭dee75

The etray was an experience I wouldn't like to repeat too often. Emails and phone calls coming in at you and so much to read, process and respond to. Don't think my main submission was great. Just have to hope they weren't looking for some amazing solutions because I sure didn't offer any.

Very intense afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

Does anyone know if there are stage 2 sessions scheduled for next week, or are they all finished up tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pfitzp90

Are they not calling all 1047 to the supervised test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

about 60 a day, 2 sessions a day that's 1200 all done and dusted by tomorrow, I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ZolaGood

seamie78 wrote: »
    about 60 a day, 2 sessions a day that's 1200 all done and dusted by tomorrow, I could be wrong
    Yes I would think finished tomorrow and then the torturous wait for results :/

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

ZolaGood wrote: »
    Yes I would think finished tomorrow and then the torturous wait for results :/

At least PAS told us that the results will be out by the middle or end of the month, so we won't be waiting for too long.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Veledan22 wrote: »
    At least PAS told us that the results will be out by the middle or end of the month, so we won't be waiting for too long.

They really are ridiculously backed up with all the various competitions they're holding simultaneously.......

Veledan22 wrote: »

I was told in an email today that results would be out "the end of the month and interviews commencing at the beginning of March".

And so starts the anxious wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

The more I think about it, the more I think those tests are bull****...

"Ambiguously-worded paragraph on a really esoteric subject" - Question: According to the paragraph, X is not not always true? Or false? Or you can't say? If it was something that actually mattered and I had to make a decision on it, I'd insist on clarity!

"Add up all of these figures for each product for each year, then do some other calculation." What, with a calculator? You do know it's the 20th century? And I'm (supposedly) an AP, and I'm to sit here adding stuff up on a calculator and writing them down? What an appalling waste of time and resources, can I not just copy the figures into a spreadsheet and use a formula?!

"Here's an unlikely workplace scenario with five different unsuitable solutions and no mention of the obvious thing to do. What do you think of them?"

"Analyse a relative f*ckton of information, make recommendations on the strategic direction of the whole organisation (and, effectively, government policy), and comment on your boss' suggestions, to a really tight deadline and with really dumb interruptions, despite this being your first day on the job. We'll be over here waiting for you to finish, not laughing at you, no really. Then when you're finished, we're going to send you for a bucket of sparks, some stripey paint, and a left-handed mug..."

Also - what's with the glass screens in front of the monitors?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

"Ambiguously-worded paragraph on a really esoteric subject" - Question: According to the paragraph, X is not not always true? Or false? Or you can't say? If it was something that actually mattered and I had to make a decision on it, I'd insist on clarity!

"Add up all of these figures for each product for each year, then do some other calculation." What, with a calculator? You do know it's the 20th century? And I'm (supposedly) an AP, and I'm to sit here adding stuff up on a calculator and writing them down? What an appalling waste of time and resources, can I not just copy the figures into a spreadsheet and use a formula?!

"Here's an unlikely workplace scenario with five different unsuitable solutions and no mention of the obvious thing to do. What do you think of them?"

"Analyse a relative f*ckton of information, make recommendations on the strategic direction of the whole organisation (and, effectively, government policy), and comment on your boss' suggestions, to a really tight deadline and with really dumb interruptions, despite this being your first day on the job. We'll be over here waiting for you to finish, not laughing at you, no really. Then when you're finished, we're going to send you for a bucket of sparks, some stripey paint, and a left-handed mug..."

Would love to know how they are all put together. They don't seem to bear any semblance to reality at all. I know they have to get the numbers down somehow for interviews but it seems a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭New Goat

Dodge wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been mentioned recently but the PSEU released the figures for applications

3009 for open
    2175 for interdepartmental

75% passed the maths

Where are you getting this information?

"Analyse a relative f*ckton of information, make recommendations on the strategic direction of the whole organisation (and, effectively, government policy), and comment on your boss' suggestions, to a really tight deadline and with really dumb interruptions, despite this being your first day on the job. We'll be over here waiting for you to finish, not laughing at you, no really. Then when you're finished, we're going to send you for a bucket of sparks, some stripey paint, and a left-handed mug..."!

Brilliant!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

New Goat wrote: »

PSEU released these figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭New Goat

PSEU released these figures.

Not at a computer it's awkward to look for this on a phone. I'm not in that union is there publicly available information online and if so do you have a link?

• Advertisement

There is no doubt about it, but that was one very intense afternoon. At one stage the hammering on the keyboards was v off-putting. 'What's wrong with me, I'm still trawling through the boss' long-winded email? sprang to mind. Some of them must've written a strategic policy document all by themselves. Intimidating much?

Not to mention when the last email came in. I was fit to shout 'You can FRO with your pointless email dimwit. Solve it yourself Mr Confident'. Maybe not managerial material after all.

Anyhoo, that's it done and dusted. Best of luck to everyone, I'm sure we all did amazingly well ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Not at a computer it's awkward to look for this on a phone. I'm not in that union is there publicly available information online and if so do you have a link?

I don't have a link sorry but it was contained in a monthly bulletin they send to all members that I received earlier in the week.

:) I'm laughing away here at some of the descriptions

You should actually send that to public jobs as a real criticism of the competition.

Funny, yet completely true.

After feeling that I had done okay at the eTray (i.e. submitted everything on time), I have just realised that I must've missed the deadline for the Minister's response email. I was completely sure I had submitted it, but I know that when I went to close all the tabs, there was something in there to submit. I was so blinded at that stage, I'm not even sure what it was. It couldn't have been anything else. I know that was described in the instructions email as a 'hard deadline'. I did submit it before the end of the exercise, but I'm wondering if it's an automatic fail? The strategic doc wasn't described as a 'hard deadline' for example. I'm kicking myself, but there isn't much I can do about it now... That said, it wasn't a terrific response anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Maybe the actual way to pass is to *not* submit the strategic doc, on the grounds that something prepared in such haste is bound to be ****e!

Maybe the actual way to pass is to *not* submit the strategic doc, on the grounds that something prepared in such haste is bound to be ****e!

the double bluff. Now that would be quite something! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Omnishambles99

the double bluff. Now that would be quite something! :D:D

Or are PAS in fact assigned 5% of overall marks in the competition to candidates undoubtedly erudite contributions on boards .ie? Lol !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ATTY

newjob2017 wrote: »
    After feeling that I had done okay at the eTray (i.e. submitted everything on time), I have just realised that I must've missed the deadline for the Minister's response email. I was completely sure I had submitted it, but I know that when I went to close all the tabs, there was something in there to submit. QUOTE]

Last time I did the etray the person next to me was still writing her ministers response when the clock ran out. She was told that it would still be submitted automatically. Also I think when you submit something the tab stays open at the top unless you hit the close button. So maybe this is what you saw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

As others have said it was in a PSEU newsletter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement