Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

sword1 wrote: »
    Longterm i don't think we can beat united.The difference in income is too much and it is going to click at some stage. Short-term we are having a good season and if we beat them sunday have a good chance we will get a champions league spot .

We are 3/10 or shorter to be top 4, even allowing for huge weight of money / bookies making lfc shorter than they should ..... we have a good chance of at least 4th regardless of a win on Sunday.

We aren't playing catchup... we are firmly in control ourselves. Leicester got very pragmatic after last Christmas as the league got into the 2nd half... we should be able to finish this off ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

J Mysterio wrote: »

Firmino has been in very poor form recently and he isnt being lampooned.

He isn't getting lampooned but he is getting flak.

The thing with him is that most games he's still doing good things with and without the ball.

Sturridge's impact has been neglible other than the odd goal.

Some days he looks on it whereas some days he looks lost at sea but regardless, at best it's a bit of flash without any substance.

Our 2 CMs don't do that much going forward. They have plenty of work to be getting on with in midfield, and they've chipped in with goals and assists, but we rely on the movement of the front 4 and the directness of Mané, Coutinho and Firmino a lot.

Sturridge isn't moving enough when we're in possession, he isn't pressing enough, he isn't running at defences enough, he isn't getting good shots outside the box, he isn't creating enough.
    He mostly just does nothing.

He's dropping deep to get involved but it never does anything.

The Sturridge from a few years ago showed such quality that even if he wasn't also a threat directly or in behind, he'd still be liable to pull a goal or an assist out of nothing.

Maybe he could play his way back into form in time, but that's assuming he didn't get injured again, and it's accepting that we'd be playing with 10 men in the mean time.

Sturridge has been fit for the majority of the season and has featured very little.
    I think that speaks volumes about what Klopp thinks of him.
    If Ings was fit I think he'd be playing more than Sturridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'd never be a part of anything like that. My Uncle played a big part in getting a banner saying "96 not enough" taken down at OT the day we won 4-1 though.

I hate anything to do with Hillsborough and Munich chants. And yes it works both ways.

Well, both ways unless UEFA are monitoring.

Manchester is full of ****e got us cited
    But 96 is not enough didn't get them cited

Draw your own conclusions .

Even the Europeans hate Liverpool?? :D:D

Only messing hope it's a good game tomorrow guys and some proper craic without it been too childish but it prob will from both sides. Any of ye heading over from this group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

jayo26 wrote: »
    Even the Europeans hate Liverpool?

:D ha well UEFA do anyway. Especially that prize tool William Gay-Lord or whatever his name is, that "senior advisor" fella.
    He knows as much about football as I do about plumbing. But he's a tad obsessed with us for whatever reason.
    They're a ****e organisation throughout anyhow.

Rant over. :D

Oh and yeah, let's hope it's a good game anyway fella. Can't be much worse to watch than the last one. (entertainment wise)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

:D ha well UEFA do anyway. Especially that prize tool William Gay-Lord or whatever his name is, that "senior advisor" fella.
    He knows as much about football as I do about plumbing. But he's a tad obsessed with us for whatever reason.
    They're a ****e organisation throughout anyhow.

Rant over. :D

Oh and yeah, let's hope it's a good game anyway fella. Can't be much worse to watch than the last one. (entertainment wise)

Its grand sure blatter used to hate us we held players as slaves while paying the 150k a week :D

It will be more open because it benefits both teams more to win this game then it does to draw or lose it.

I think the key to beating pool is to hit them with pace down the wings run past the press.

Key to pool beating united will be to find a defender to stick to Zlatan and pressure our defenders on the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Incredible amount of pessimism among Liverpool fans.
    We have got 13/15 points in the PL including wins against Everton & Man City. We were poor Wednesday but I'm sure we will respond.
    I expect Man Utd to play defensively tomorow though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think it's gonna be a borefest and 0-0

Just being honest. And I'd take that and move on.

We're not at our best right now so a draw woguld be fine.

Where does idea come from? One bad game in midweek? Games like that can happen.
    Before that a second string youth side drew against Plymouth and before that we drew against Sunderland. Tiredness was a factor there as it was played doc losse to the City game which we were all delighted with. December was a good month for us.

The pessimism in here has me very optimistic about tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Any news on Matip/Henderson?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Where doest idea come from? .

Where does it come from?

It comes from the spine of our team all returning from injury at the same time.

Why is it such a bad thing to say that we're not at our best when you have Coutinho, Henderson and Matip who haven't started a game in weeks and Mane away?

Seems logical enough to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

murpho999 wrote: »
    Where doest idea come from? One bad game in midweek? Games like that can happen.
    Before that a second string youth side drew against Plymouth and before that we drew against Sunderland. Tiredness was a factor there as it was played doc losse to the City game which we were all delighted with. December was a good month for us.

The pessimism in here has me very optimistic about tomorrow.

You must have spotted that the transitions are slower and there is a general lack of snap in the side right now.

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    Any news on Matip/Henderson?

Klopp said he'll assess all 3 and make a decision but all are technically available.

Just my opinion but I'd say Coutinho and Hendo start. No idea about Matip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

You must have spotted that the transitions are slower and there is a general lack of snap in the side right now.

Not to mention the Keystone cops defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Depending on today's results we could drop as low as 5th with a loss tomorrow. We'll have a chance to make up ground with Spurs playing City next week but I think it's imperative we don't lose.

Gbear wrote: »

Good post overall and sorry for picking out one line but it's just a pet hate of mine how injured players get better in people's eyes during their absence.
    Ings isn't anywhere near Sturridge's level imo and even if he was fit he'd be behind Origi and Sturridge too.
    Sturridge can score a goal from nothing and while he isn't the type of player Klopp likes so much he knows he can change a game from the bench like the Merseyside derby where we draw the game only for him.

Ings might be more Klopp's cup of tea style wise but way short of what we need in terms of ability, and on forums he just gets better the longer he's injured.

In one way I feel a tad sorry for Sturridge. When Firmino gets played out of centre he has been awful but it gets excused on forums because we're not really playing to his strengths.
    But we never really play in a way that suits Sturridge's strengths and the response is that he's lazy and offers little aside from goals.
    For feck sake, he's an out and out striker. Goals is what he's about.

And people constantly slag off his injury record but if we're comparing Sturridge and Ings, how many games has Ings played for us?

In the Summer I think Sturridge will be sold and go on to do great somewhere else and good luck to him.
    Ings will possibly be kept and play a bit part role before eventually being moved on too imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Robles played a bigger part in that Everton result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

By the same logic you would accept being referred to as part of a shower that chant mocking the Munich disaster?

Looking forward to this game, will be watching with 2 Liverpool friends and 2 United friends, oddly enough none of us take swipes at the other over tragedies our clubs have been through yet we still manage to be passionate about the teams.

Leaving aside the usual tribal stuff I would love to see both Liverpool and United at the top of the league fighting it out for titles, now that would be exciting
    +1, it's been a long time since both were competing against each other.

On Munich/Hillsborough, I've never come across it in my cohort. It's toxic online and not much better here but my Liverpool/ManU friends would never have made a dig or snide remark about either tragedy that we have heard and we would be quickly put back in our box if we did and rightly too!
    He isn't getting lampooned but he is getting flak.

The thing with him is that most games he's still doing good things with and without the ball.

Sturridge's impact has been neglible other than the odd goal.

Some days he looks on it whereas some days he looks lost at sea but regardless, at best it's a bit of flash without any substance.

Our 2 CMs don't do that much going forward. They have plenty of work to be getting on with in midfield, and they've chipped in with goals and assists, but we rely on the movement of the front 4 and the directness of Mané, Coutinho and Firmino a lot.

Sturridge isn't moving enough when we're in possession, he isn't pressing enough, he isn't running at defences enough, he isn't getting good shots outside the box, he isn't creating enough.
    He mostly just does nothing.

He's dropping deep to get involved but it never does anything.

The Sturridge from a few years ago showed such quality that even if he wasn't also a threat directly or in behind, he'd still be liable to pull a goal or an assist out of nothing.

Maybe he could play his way back into form in time, but that's assuming he didn't get injured again, and it's accepting that we'd be playing with 10 men in the mean time.

Sturridge has been fit for the majority of the season and has featured very little.
    I think that speaks volumes about what Klopp thinks of him.
    Good post, that.

Both sides of the Sturridge divide in this thread would love to see him score a ton of goals but, unfortunately, it's not very likely to occur at this stage.

It's been so long ago now but Ings started his Liverpool career in good form, 3 in 5 or so I think.

Seemed like a player Klopp would like alright, an eye for goal and not lazy. Don't think he'd be a regular starter but a decent bench/cup option.

Also a bit harsh to compare two serious long term injuries with almost weekly physical/mental injuries.

Both sides of the Sturridge divide in this thread would love to see him score a ton of goals but, unfortunately, it's not very likely to occur at this stage.

No it's not gonna happen (again) at this stage as you said. But 21 from 29 games a few seasons ago for a player signed for 12 million was worth it alone.
    Nevermind everything else.

It's hugely ironic that it has taken the appointment of one of the world's best managers to begin the inevitable sale of a player so good that he'd make most starting elevens in the league when at his best.

Whatever about divided opinions on his role for us, he's a smashing player.

The season with Suarez was great, what's not great is the mess we fell into when Suarez left and we decided we didn't need anyone else as we could rely on Sturridge.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Also a bit harsh to compare two serious long term injuries with almost weekly physical/mental injuries.

That's obviously aimed at me. Well yeah absolutely valid point. I didn't mean anything bad by it in terms of Ings and thought same as I was typing the post to be honest.
    But the constant criticism, sometimes borderline mickey-taking, with Sturridge is that he's never available.

So if Ings was getting injured for short periods regularly and Sturridge was out for a year and then another 6 months or whatever, would that be better?

Not really. Some people just like to have a go at Sturridge for whatever reason.

Mental injuries? I dont know what you mean about that.

It's even there in the media, Klopp is constantly asked about him in press conferences.

Bottom line is that you don't constantly talk about the fitness of mediocre players.
    He's a smashing player and that's why he gets debated so much.

Klopp gave an update on Henderson, Matip and Coutinho.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/250277-klopp-s-fitness-update-on-henderson-coutinho-and-matip

Basically, he is waiting to see their reaction to training and seeing what reaction the players that played against Southampton have before he decides his lineup.

Klopp gave an update on Henderson, Matip and Coutinho.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/250277-klopp-s-fitness-update-on-henderson-coutinho-and-matip

Basically, he is waiting to see their reaction to training and seeing what reaction the players that played against Southampton have before he decides his lineup.

Henderson and Coutinho will start. I'd put my mortgage on it.

Big call on Matip though.
    I know Klavan screwed up last week but he's been largely pretty good.

But I think Lovren plays far better with Matip next to him.
    So I'd hope Matip starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Henderson and Coutinho will start. I'd put my mortgage on it.

Big call on Matip though.
    I know Klavan screwed up last week but he's been largely pretty good.

But I think Lovren plays far better with Matip next to him.
    So I'd hope Matip starts.

Matip hasn't played for a good while now. Can't see him being put straight back in to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Spurs quietly up to 2nd and looked very impressive today. Hopefully they remember who they are again just in time for late March/April.

Matip hasn't played for a good while now. Can't see him being put straight back in to start.

Me neither.

I'd prefer if he was there but Id agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

mosstin wrote:
    Spurs quietly up to 2nd and looked very impressive today. Hopefully they remember who they are again just in time for late March/April.

Watched the lot. Real deal they are. Best full backs in the league in Rose and Walker. Very controlled side but WBA were horrendous in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Sturridge no longer possesses that rapid pace over the first 20 yards. That electric pace used to take him clear of defences and obviously his finishing is top quality.

I'm not sure if the pace is completely gone or whether he's playing within himself through fear is pulling up. But it's noticeable.

Sturridge is replaceable as a first XI player but as a squad player we couldn't ask for better. The problem with Liverpool however is unlike the really top clubs, we would never pay those wages for a guy whose going to be a reserve. We ship them out and gamble on the next guy we sign to be like for like.

And we cannot compete for the best players. The PR thrown out about not getting involved in bidding wars, and taking the moral high ground when big wages are being sought (ala Draxler) is a load of guff. Sure it's admirable when dealing with kids but it's par for the course that game changing players cost big money and command big wages. It's all well and good taking the stand and seeing them join United, Chelsea or City.

Making stars rather than buying is supposedly Klopps philosophy, but if you flog them once they are world class then you are no more than a feeder club, don't talk like you are a high roller. The problem being Liverpool see themselves that way

price690 wrote: »
    Sturridge is replaceable as a first XI player but as a squad player we couldn't ask for better. The problem with Liverpool however is unlike the really top clubs, we would never pay those wages for a guy whose going to be a reserve. We ship them out and gamble on the next guy we sign to be like for like.

I think the issue isn't really that he's just outright not good enough, but that he can't fulfil the squad role we need him to.
    Maybe he'd be happy to only play when we can squeeze him in but I can't see it.
    In addition to that, he's unreliable in terms of form and fitness.
    At least with Origi, he can come in and bring physicality if he's not quite cutting it from a technical standpoint.

Our main front 3 at the very least needs to be a front 3/4 next season - ie, we need to have 4 players who are at least the calibre of our current front 3 of Mané, Coutinho and Firmino and 3 of those 4 need to play every game.

Ideally that 4th would be even better than the other 3, which would mean not just maintaining performances but actually getting better.

In that context, Sturridge becomes a distant backup, maybe cup player. You'd be reticent to even use him as an impact sub because we have players who impact games more reliably.

• Advertisement

Good post overall and sorry for picking out one line but it's just a pet hate of mine how injured players get better in people's eyes during their absence.
    Ings isn't anywhere near Sturridge's level imo and even if he was fit he'd be behind Origi and Sturridge too.
    Sturridge can score a goal from nothing and while he isn't the type of player Klopp likes so much he knows he can change a game from the bench like the Merseyside derby where we draw the game only for him.

Ings might be more Klopp's cup of tea style wise but way short of what we need in terms of ability, and on forums he just gets better the longer he's injured.

In one way I feel a tad sorry for Sturridge. When Firmino gets played out of centre he has been awful but it gets excused on forums because we're not really playing to his strengths.
    But we never really play in a way that suits Sturridge's strengths and the response is that he's lazy and offers little aside from goals.
    For feck sake, he's an out and out striker. Goals is what he's about.

And people constantly slag off his injury record but if we're comparing Sturridge and Ings, how many games has Ings played for us?

In the Summer I think Sturridge will be sold and go on to do great somewhere else and good luck to him.
    Ings will possibly be kept and play a bit part role before eventually being moved on too imo.

It's not a question of quality. I think there's basically a risk of going down to 10 men when you bring Sturridge on.
    He can win you the game as well, as against Everton, although not enough to persist with.

The thing with Ings would be that, like Origi, he'd give us something different, positive, give other players more space, maybe allow someone like Firmino to have more time on the ball.

It's basically, do you want a guy who'll give you a 6/10 or someone who'll be somewhere between 2 and 8?

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Watched the lot. Real deal they are. Best full backs in the league in Rose and Walker. Very controlled side but WBA were horrendous in fairness

Eriksen and Alli on song. Kane looking good in front of goal. It's gonna be some scramble for the Top 4 this year with the Top 6 being so consistently good. That said, I think we can take United tomorrow simply because I think our woes - like their supposed renaissance - are being exaggerated.

It's not a question of quality. I think there's basically a risk of going down to 10 men when you bring Sturridge on.
    He can win you the game as well, as against Everton, although not enough to persist with.

The thing with Ings would be that, like Origi, he'd give us something different, positive, give other players more space, maybe allow someone like Firmino to have more time on the ball.

It's basically, do you want a guy who'll give you a 6/10 or someone who'll be somewhere between 2 and 8?

How many times have we brought Sturridge on and gone down to 10 men?

Answer is zero as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If we're gonna rate players on 6/10 and that sort of thing then it's a difficult discussion.
    I got to see Alan Shearer play in the flesh a few times and he did bugger all for most of the game aside from score in 2 out of the 3 times I saw him play.
    So how many marks out of ten would he get for doing very little but winning the game?
    How many marks out of ten does Sturridge get for the one moment that won us the merseyside derby?

You can't really quantify things that way.

With Ings, and I don't want to be cruel here, but he's a decent forward. That's about it.

With Sturridge, he can win a game in an instant. So 1/10 would do me if he scores the winner tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Watching the last few Palace games and looking at how bad Benteke has been its crazy to think he cost two teams £64m between them in the last two seasons.

Carroll vs Benteke today total cost in combined transfers to Liverpool £67m. Combined games 100 and combined goals 21 what a waste of money.

He's been useless in most games this season.
    With Sturridge, he can win a game in an instant. So 1/10 would do me if he scores the winner tomorrow.

That'd be fine if he was doing that but he's scored 1 goal in 13 league appearances this season.

He's been ok in the cups but I'm not really arsed how a lad on 150k is against Spurs u12s.

If we're bringing on a sub to win the game, currently our best bet is to try and maintain pressure on the opposition.
    I want to believe that Sturridge can do that, but with each passing game he looks more mike a hail-mary.

Answer is zero as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If we're gonna rate players on 6/10 and that sort of thing then it's a difficult discussion.
    I got to see Alan Shearer play in the flesh a few times and he did bugger all for most of the game aside from score in 2 out of the 3 times I saw him play.
    So how many marks out of ten would he get for doing very little but winning the game?
    How many marks out of ten does Sturridge get for the one moment that won us the merseyside derby?

You can't really quantify things that way.

With Ings, and I don't want to be cruel here, but he's a decent forward. That's about it.

I think the point Gbear was making is that Sturridge doesn't work when he comes on, not that he gets sent off.

Klopps philosophy is that defending starts from when we lose the ball with our players either pressing the player on the ball or cutting his options to pass forward and then overloading a player on the wing and winning the ball back to counter attack.

Sturridge doesn't do any of that. He is, more or less, a goal hanger, waiting for a ball to be fed to him so he can shoot. We need a central option who can interchange with both wide forwards, can hold up the ball or make a run behind. When one of the forwards doesn't do that, we effectively become a 10 man team.

The question remains as to whether Sturridge physically isn't able to run any more or is able but doesn't believe he can.

• Advertisement

He's been useless in most games this season.

That'd be fine if he was doing that but he's scored 1 goal in 13 league appearances this season..

Well, you see it's all about opinions. Useless in most games, only scored one in 13 you said.
    But that's unfair as you know because he didn't start most games and so let's be fair to him it's not 13 games really, is it?

You know it's not so why say it?

Look, I'm not bothered about which player does this or that so long as the team is doing well.

But people are constantly unfair to Sturridge and 1 goal in 13 games is exactly the sort of crap that gets posted about him.

As if he has played 13 full games. And only scored once.

Well, you see it's all about opinions. Useless in most games, only scored one in 13 you said.
    But that's unfair as you know because he didn't start most games and so let's be fair to him it's not 13 games really, is it?

Look, I'm not bothered about which player does this or that so long as the team is doing well.

But people are constantly unfair to Sturridge and 1 goal in 13 games is exactly the sort of crap that gets posted about him.

He's also scored like 4 in 6 or something from his starts, albeit at a lower level. It's not the overall performances I'm talking about.

We're discussing him in terms of impact sub, so as far as his lack of starts go, I think that makes it more relelvant.

I think he's generally been better when he's started in games, albeit, at a lower level of football for the most part.
    He can drift in and out of games, so he'll be much more likely to have good periods if he's there from the start.

The issue is we're trying to use him as an impact sub for the most part and he isn't having any impact - none of the all round play from your Origi's, but he's not making up for that with super-sub shenigans by scoring a few goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

You're absolutely right that "1 goal in 13 appearances" is an unbalanced metric to judge Sturridge by.

But if the question is asked, "does Sturridge work hard enough and contribute enough to the team's overall effort, given the way the team is set up to play", then the answer has to be "no", and there's little argument to made otherwise on the basis of what we've seen of him since Klopp arrived.

That's before we go anywhere the issue of his frequent unavailability, and what might be behind that. To be honest, the reasons behind it are pretty much irrelevant, however venomous (and by turns amusing and tedious) the arguments on here are between certain posters. We're a long way down the road from the last time his availability wasn't an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mannone had a stormer against us. Made 13 saves. In the two games either side of that he's been dreadful.

I think the point Gbear was making is that Sturridge doesn't work when he comes on, not that he gets sent off.

When one of the forwards doesn't do that, we effectively become a 10 man team.

So yee guys are now effectively saying we're a 10 man team when Sturridge plays.

That's a pretty big insult to Sturridge.

I'm completely amazed by the comments on Sturridge on here to be honest.

He's going to become one of the best forwards we ever sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Benteke is a quality player in a poor side
    Didn't suit our game but he was quality in what he did on pitch for us

The issue is we're trying to use him as an impact sub for the most part and he isn't having any impact

35,000 Evertonians would disagree.

corwill wrote: »
    You're absolutely right that "1 goal in 13 appearances" is an unbalanced metric to judge Sturridge by.

But if the question is asked, "does Sturridge work hard enough and contribute enough to the team's overall effort, given the way the team is set up to play", then the answer has to be "no", and there's little argument to made otherwise on the basis of what we've seen of him since Klopp arrived.

Good post and nicely phrased.

Look, I wouldn't disagree with any of that. But some of the other posts belittling him are uncalled for and the 10 men thing is an awful cheap shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Benteke is a quality player in a poor side
    Didn't suit our game but he was quality in what he did on pitch for us

Miss one on ones and do a very passable impression of a tree?

Fairly disrespectful to Mane and Robles.

You can't be complaining about people criticising him while throwing out the crazy claim he won the Derby.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Fairly disrespectful to Mane and Robles.

You can't be complaining about people criticising him while throwing out the crazy claim he won the Derby.

Crazy claims? I said if he didnt come on we would have drawn the game.

Point being he can change games for us.

Disrespecting Mane? Ah come off it :D

"That could've been the goal that won us the league" kind of argument. It doesn't hold any water.
    Sturridge doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Is that 1 scuffed shot we were luckily able to score the rebound of a justifcation of his general performances?

Is he a better option than even a fairly average player who'll work for the side on that basis?

I really don't see how.

Crazy claims? I said if he didnt come on we would have drawn the game.

Point being he can change games for us.

Disrespecting Mane? Ah come off it :D

That's crystal ball stuff tbh. Nobody knows how the game pans out if he doesn't come on. From what I remember there was no big change in performance when he came on, he took a sh!t shot, the keeper refused to save it and Mane won the game for us. If one of the starting players had done it and Mane scored the rebound, nobody would be claiming they win the game for us.

Mannone had a stormer against us. Made 13 saves. In the two games either side of that he's been dreadful.

I absolutely and passionately believe that the day we stop kicking the ball at the goalkeeper, we will score more goals, thus marching to the title.

I don't know why this isn't discussed more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Indeed, the fixation with shooting at the part of the goal where the keeper stands needs tackling - watch Kane - he is always looking to go wide

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement