Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

In my experience Utd fans in real life aren't anything like a lot of the ones that post on boards. Pretty much every player that puts on a utd shirt is either world class or the best in the league in their position its comical. I think its down to them being so good for 20 years they just cant accept the way things are now.

The worst part is that there's a few good posters there too who are drowned out by the idiots more often than not. Problem with today was that I didn't see any of them in the match thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

doc_17 wrote: »
    I would commment on "our friend" Mourinho but it never ends well when I do. Doesn't matter what team he is in charge of, he is still the same person and Utd fans will probably never understand that.

Why did you comment on him then? Reminds me of my auntie who starts a sentence with "so I don't like to complain"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Motd not highlighting pogba swinging off a player and Rooney stamping is a bit rich, not to mind the offside.

Not a mention
    Ref was outstanding
    United were brilliant

WTFF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

In my experience Utd fans in real life aren't anything like a lot of the ones that post on boards. Pretty much every player that puts on a utd shirt is either world class or the best in the league in their position its comical. I think its down to them being so good for 20 years they just cant accept the way things are now.

This isnt the case in that thread. Most of the posters know that we're aiming for top 4 and a cup or two this season. Most of them are disappointed with the draw today but feel it was the fair result. I don't see too much "delusional" posts bar one or two eejits. We're (United) improving and on a good run. On another day we would have played better, then again another day you would have Clyne, Matip and Mane.

I don't see much posts like what you suggest above. Every united player world class? I bet you if you ask any of them if any of our back 4, Herrera, Rooney(current form), Martial or Fellaini (all played today) are world class, that 90% of them would say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Who gives a ****,really. C'mon now,grown men.

Who gives a ****,really. C'mon now,grown men.

Indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Disappointed to lose the lead at the end but all in all a pretty fair result. We weren't great. We did well to press united the way we did. We could easily have had a few more goals if it weren't for gini fluffing his shots. Zlatan did what Zlatan does. Pogba was complete and utter muck which was great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

punk_one82 wrote: »
    Pogba was complete and utter muck which was great to see.

Doing what he does you might say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Milner is some lad. That spider-cam really showed the reality of the penalty situation. Buried it.

Gotta love Zlatan, class player. What a shame he's playing for them.

Wow 15 thanks for this post. Lol what are you all smoking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Hate these games. Lost about two sweating with my nerves but it's grand now had a feed of drink and food and I'm comfortably up about a stone now.

Mig was excellent today. Trent did ok. Countihno looks like he's ready to go. Hopefully himself and Bokby hit it off again. Could do with a few handy winds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Phil was great when he came on. Nearly created a goal for Firmino after only a few minutes on the field. Origi had just started to lose the ball a lot in possession. Phil got on the ball, held it up and found a teammate with a pass. Just what we needed at the time.

Can't wait until we can field Coutinho, Mane and Firmino together again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Nalz wrote: »

Jealous much :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I rarely go in to the Utd thread, but good lord, delusional is much too kind for some of them.

Yep, it's United fans who are delusional.
    He is a solid player but massively overrated. Give me time and £300,000 a week and I'll ping all the balls you want anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Doughboy is that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I really thought Mkhitaryan would be the difference today. Don't like admitting, but I'm fond of him as a player. Then you have Pogba with the hashtags, haircuts and the dubbing or dabbing or whatever. He's clearly distracted by the idea of himself, which is funny to see.

Not really. I actually hate when people put much after words like that though! Very teenyboppy Kardashian kinda jazz.

I'm genuinely wondering why that post got 15 Thanks! The united fans know well the club have had to overspend, doing a rebuilding job and had failed managers etc...No way would they say all or most United players are world class. You could argue 2,3 or 4 are... Other than that no way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Doughboy is that you?

It can't be, since you can see his post. :pac:

Doughboy is that you?

I don't know what you mean by this, honestly. I'm assuming this is a poster that annoys people or something along those lines? Or some in joke I guess.

But nope, this isn't dough boy. Just an United fan in the Liverpool thread writing posts on the interwebs.

PS I think all the United players are world class especially Fellaini, Ashley Young, Depay and Rojo.

• Advertisement

You ruined it, I wanted to see how long he was gonna keep talking to himself looking for a bit of attention.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    You ruined it, I wanted to see how long he was gonna keep talking to himself looking for a bit of attention.

I'm asking anyone here not talking to myself silly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Not really. I actually hate when people put much after words like that though! Very teenyboppy Kardashian kinda jazz.

I'm genuinely wondering why that post got 15 Thanks! The united fans know well the club have had to overspend, doing a rebuilding job and had failed managers etc...No way would they say all or most United players are world class. You could argue 2,3 or 4 are... Other than that no way!

Indica. I like indica before bed as it helps me sleep. ;)
    I can't speak for anyone else but I was gonna thank the post for the first sentence which basically said that Utd fans in real life are reasonable people but that online there is alot of tribalism and that often manifests it in ludicrous claims as posters try to one up eachother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

gafferino wrote: »
    Goal ... Mane!

Mane is definitely one of my favourite players right now, the guy is electric!

We need more pace in the team, another winger, we miss Mane badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Mane is definitely one of my favourite players right now, the guy is electric!

We need more pace in the team, another winger, we miss Mane badly.

I don't think we'll sign a replacement for him in the window. As a poster said a few posts back it'd upset the chemistry and flow a lot of players have with each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I think of we got our target (a quick winger) now he would be a big boost in fa cup and against teams that park the bus for his directness and he would settle in now ...help our title hunt and won't be part of the influx of new players in summer to aid our champion league campaign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Mane, Clyne, Matip unavailable. Coutinho not able for 90 mins and Hendo just back from injury. That's the nuts and bolts of our team right there - so before the game I would've taken a point. It does feel disappointing to go from 3 points down to 1 so late in the day, but it was probably a fair reflection on the game.

26 November was the last time we started Coutinho/Firmino/Mane up front - and it won't be until early February that we have Mane back (assuming Senegal are going to make it out of their group). Hopefully we can keep ourselves in the Top 4 until then and those 3 are available for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Why did you comment on him then? Reminds me of my auntie who starts a sentence with "so I don't like to complain"

I meant comment on any of his actions today, his comments etc. There's no point. Same man just different team he is in charge of!

Any word of any signings?

Is there a copy of the match their fans watched yesterday floating around online? Sounds like we were terrible in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just looking back last time Mane, Coutinho, Lallana and Firmino all played together was November 6th that is a long time.

Umaro wrote: »
    .........Hopefully we can keep ourselves in the Top 4 until then and those 3 are available for the rest of the season.

Indeed, it's very tight now, we're a pt ahead of Arsenal & level with Spurs, both now have better GD though.

To be fair to Spurs they were without Kane for a bit but have really driven on since he's back.

City and Utd are 3 and 5 pts below us respectively and have really inferior goal differences.

We are genuinely in a great position to finish top 4, if not top 3. Still a chance of winning the PL too.

I'd be happy to see money being thrown at a pacy winger in this window if Klopp had someone in mind to suit longterm requirments, if they don't hit the ground running there's the bench & the cups :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

10 out our last 17 games are at home. City away is our only really tough away game.
    Stay within 6 points of Chelsea going into our last 8 games in particular & we still have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

MD1990 wrote: »
    10 out our last 17 games are at home. City away is our only really tough away game.
    Stay within 6 points of Chelsea going into our last 8 games in particular & we still have a chance.

Sky said the same thing yesterday. It's very favorable for us with the amount of games we have at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Just had a look at the season overall up to date, 2 defeats all season long with 1 loss in the last 19 games, but its the 6 draws so far that are holding us back. Mirroring Rafa's title challenge in 08/09. If we can turn at least some of those draws to victories, then we could be a lot closer to the top than in the scrap for 4th.

Are we overachieving this year? I don't think so. We underachieved last season, like most other clubs. This season, we're about on par with where we should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed, it's very tight now, we're a pt ahead of Arsenal & level with Spurs, both now have better GD though.

To be fair to Spurs they were without Kane for a bit but have really driven on since he's back.

City and Utd are 3 and 5 pts below us respectively and have really inferior goal differences.

We are genuinely in a great position to finish top 4, if not top 3. Still a chance of winning the PL too.

I'd be happy to see money being thrown at a pacy winger in this window if Klopp had someone in mind to suit longterm requirments, if they don't hit the ground running there's the bench & the cups :)

We really are in a great position and I think it’s fair to say that the majority here would have set a top 4 finish at the start of the season as a target as Klopp continued to assemble his team.

Looking at the fixtures I think We have Chelsea in 2 weeks’ time, Spurs at home on 11 Feb and then a big March with Arsenal at home and City away. These are big games but Klopp has a great record against top 6 teams so far.

It’s after this that I feel we go on a run of the last 8 games that give us a great chance of securing top 4 and maybe we could be the ones to challenge Chelsea if they do start to drop pints.

Last 9 fixtures.
    Liverpool v Everton
    Liverpool v Bournemouth
    Stoke City v Liverpool
    West Bromwich Albion v Liverpool
    Liverpool v Crystal Palace
    Watford v Liverpool
    Liverpool v Southampton
    West Ham United v Liverpool
    Liverpool v Middlesbrough

In that same period the other times all play each other and points will be dropped by them and we have the opportunity to just worry about ourselves and plough on.

If we’re still the hunt at the end of March then we have a great shout.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Sky said the same thing yesterday. It's very favorable for us with the amount of games we have at home

It is only because the Burnley games were switched other teams like Chelsea still have 9 games at home.

Liverpool just have the rest of the top 4 at home having beating 2 of the away and drawn with the other one.

Chelsea have to come to Anfield and play Arsenal at home having played Spurs twice already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If Liverpool are still standing by the end of the Chelsea game then we're in decent shape - only six games in Feb and March for certain. Mane will be back, Coutinho has had a mid-season break (well that's how I'm spinning it), Mig reborn (but may need to be dropped for a game to remind him of that), even Matip also has had a slightly longer rest than intended.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We need to win our next 2 games though to have a realistic chance of winning the league. You'd assume Swansea at home should be straightforward, but things rarely are for us. Beating Chelsea will put us within reasonable distance of them then down the stretch. If we don't then you'd have to say it's unlikely (but not impossible). It's so tight from 2-6 though that there are genuinely 3 CL places very much up for grabs in nearly any order at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm a cynical bastard at the best of times, so perhaps that's what is at play, but I really don't see us wining the league. In fact, I fear us coming 5th more than I raise hope of 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm a cynical bastard at the best of times, so perhaps that's what is at play, but I really don't see us wining the league. In fact, I fear us coming 5th more than I raise hope of 1st.

Yeah, spurs look just as good as us too when i thought they might slip away, although i beleive they play city the weekend. Our results have dipped lately but that conincides with the big fixture lists and injuries. Injured players coming back (essentially the spine of out team), id be hopeful we can get back into our pre christmas form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Wouldnt want Champions League anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

The difference with the Count on the pitch on Sunday was immediate and so very very obvious.
    His ability to take the ball and turn and face the goal , his comfort on the ball even under pressure and his ability to see a pass.
    He does all of these significantly better than anybody else in the squad and if we can keep him fit for the run in anything is possible .

I can see where you are coming from, really tight at the moment, a few games ago we had much more breathing space.

When the European stuff kicks off again we might have an advantage.

4th for me would be an overachievement to be fair, above 4th would be a more of an overachievement ............ never expected us to be doing so well at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I wanted a challenge for top 4. I dont think I expected a top 4 finish but at this stage I am very optimistic of a top 4 finish. I dont see a title challenge being on for us but as we all know that can change in a few games. I think if we continue doing what we are doing we dont have much to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Glico Man wrote: »
    Are we overachieving this year? I don't think so. We underachieved last season, like most other clubs. This season, we're about on par with where we should be.
    The level of expectation you have for the team is testament to the quality of the manager.

The performance of practically the same squad this season might suggest that last season we underachieved, however that fails to take into account the state in which Rodgers had left the club. Klopp did an amazing job turning things around in such a short time period and that shouldn't be forgotten.

Last season we dropped 8 points in our last 16 league games and finished 6 points outside of the top 4 places. With our inferior goal difference we would have needed an additional 7 points to have a top 4 finish. In results terms we needed to win each of our last 16 games to achieve the target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Last season Klopp was playing change sides in the PL to keep the EL campaign running, it's not really a fair assessment without mentioning that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

That was part of the time wasting, that was a goal kick to Liverpool and TAA was going away from goal with the ball ;)

For the slagging i am getting on the Utd thread by a certain user I will leave this here for you to read as i know you follow my posts about :pac:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-were-robbed-victory-blundering-9631500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

You seem to forget that apart from Chelsea all of our other rivals for top 4 have European football to worry about come Feb also. Gives us a better chance imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Last season Klopp was playing change sides in the PL to keep the EL campaign running, it's not really a fair assessment without mentioning that.
    I don't think the EL campaign really affected the league finish. We dropped 4 points in the week before the Europa League Final but 15 league points were dropped betweenwhen we qualified from the group stage and mid-February when the competition resumed.

The physical condition of the players, poor concentration levels and the lack of squad depth were big problems. The physical conditioning was something Klopp set about rectifying in pre-season, the concentration levels have also improved, but we still lack the squad depth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement