Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Since when do slaves get paid tens of thousands a week for there jobs.

Since Mormank made this infamous post:
    mormank wrote: »
    There are millions and millions of people around the world in jobs where they are being exploited and being asked to do more than they should and the argument they get back is you are free to leave if you don't like it. And yes, in a lot of these cases they knew before they took the job etc but the company/whatever involved has a monopoly and therefore can basically do whatever it likes, laws or no laws. The amounts of money involved is an irrelevance really to the principle. A well paid slave is still a slave! ;)
    Calling a millionaire footballer a slave is the most stupid thing I have read on here in hours.

I agree 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I dont understand this. How come Stephen Ireland or John Terry or Steven Gerrard etc. were allowed to retire from the national game long before they officially retired?
    Is it just that most internationals don't coincide with the domestic seasons?
    And how come some players can delay picking which country to play for?

The only logical conclusion I can come to is that we ban international football. Stupid tournaments in stupid locationsthat only sserve to cripple our players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I dont understand this. How come Stephen Ireland or John Terry or Steven Gerrard etc. were allowed to retire from the national game long before they officially retired?

The only logical conclusion I can come to is that we ban international football. Stupid tournaments in stupid locationsthat only sserve to cripple our players.

Because no player is actually ever technically retired. It's more of a gentleman's agreement to never call-up the player again between the player & the country.

Makalele had the same problem but Domenech get calling him up & selected him to play so he had to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The Cameroon federation don't seem to have accepted Matip's retirement leaving him in this limbo. They could end the whole situation in the morning but as you can tell from their last statement. They don't really want to.

Again I'm not really for forcing people to do things against their will no matter how well they are paid. Again Matip doesn't have to go and play for them but neither should be he sanctioned for it because they get the huff over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

the most stupid thing I have read on here in hours.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Calling a millionaire footballer a slave is the most stupid thing I have read on here in hours.

Sorry, I don't post as much as I use to.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The u-18's are playing Man City in the youth cup tonight. Live stream here in the 19:06 update for anyone interested while waiting for the main event.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/plymouth-vs-liverpool-live-updates-12467617 or on the city facebook page even if you don't have a facebook account (like me and Harry) https://www.facebook.com/mancity/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

City have a really strong U18 squad - bossing the Development League as you'd expect 7 points clear of Man Utd and Liverpool with 52 goals for and 15 against.

current score 1-1 Rhian Brewster with the equaliser. He is the next Woodburn I hear :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Cameroon 1 down coming up to half time. Hopefully they lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wait I thought Lucas was an Inter player now so that can't be him captaining the team tonight can it.

LUCAS HAS SCORED A GOAL!

The last time this happened

0B38A823000005DC-3211439-image-a-49_1440589616079.jpg

The Boss will now leave before the window closes that's all he was waiting to do before he left. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

LUCAS HAS SCORED A GOAL!

The last time this happened

0B38A823000005DC-3211439-image-a-49_1440589616079.jpg

Is that Jay Spearing hidden behind one of the Young Boys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Charlie Adams?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Another bit on the Matip fiasco.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/821745402076688386

Apparently, there is a doubt that he was called up at all because he didn't make the final 23 man squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Even at this level Stewart is really struggling to pass the ball around. He's plenty of time.
    Ejaria's carrying it well enough but nobody's keeping the tempo up.

Coutinho looks like he's working on his fitness more than anything.

We look a good bet to lose this the way things are going.
    We've barely had a sniff and are not taking the game seriously.
    Even at 2-0 that'd be fair enough but we've been pegged back enough in the past few weeks, never mind dozens of examples down through the past decade or so in the cups, that we really shouldn't be this blasé about the whole thing.

C2eufOWXgAE_F-4.jpg

C2euy7EWQAAuEYa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Gomez excellent. Wilson looked good. Happy for lucas. Karius very shaky. Job done.... Just.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Thank Christ that's over. Painful.

• Advertisement

Clean sheet....through to next round..how bad.
    Nice for Lucas. Captain & scoring the all important goal.

Soooo....was the face at being subbed or his own sh!t performance?

Lucas' interview :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That's grand. Bit of time for sturridge and court and kids.

Disappointed with performance of Oirigi and Sturridge tbh. Particularly given we need them for the next month.

Karius still looking a bust.

Plus points - a win, Woodburn when he was moved central was really impressive for a 17 year old, Ojo's cameo is top notch (dive aside), TAA and Ejaria acquitted themselves well and LUCAS scored a goal, (may have mentioned that!). In the debit column go Sturridge, Origi, Stewart (Chivirella should have his place next season with any luck) and Moreno as senior player he is just not good enough in either direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Lucas' interview :D

Will miss him when he leaves the club.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd imagine we'll play a weakened team somewhat against Wolves as well, coming only 4 days after the second leg of the semi final, and 3 days before the Chelsea game. I doubt it'll be as weak as the third round team, but probably half and half.

Awful ****e.

Some decent stuff from Wilson, Woodburn when Wilson came on, Ejaria and Gomez.

Hard to tell with TAA. The real test for him will be how well he can look unremarkable and give 7/10's every game for 2 months.
    You'd have to optimistic if Klopp's willing to give him the Utd game though.

I was hoping we'd have a bit of time off coming up. I hadn't realised we'll have the next round on the 28th Jan.

Don't think this team works.
    Midfield gives no tempo or control.
    Just trying to force it through packed defences won't work even if our players were good, senior first teamers.

Anyone know what the story with Cameron Brannagan is?
    He looks a much better footballer than the other midfielders we have at underage level. Might give us the quality in possession we were lacking. Bit lightweight alright, but he's technically solid and seems to have a good brain.

Well at least the young players got some experience playing with the senior pro on the pitch Lucas.

Gbear wrote: »
    Just trying to force it through packed defences won't work even if our players were good, senior first teamers.

He looks a much better footballer than the other midfielders we have at underage level. Might give us the quality in possession we were lacking. Bit lightweight alright, but he's technically solid and seems to have a good brain.

He has a knock while Grujic is suffering with growing pains I believe.

Stewart in the middle means sideways and backwards, he has to become more ambitious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I don't know what game people were watching that Karius was sh*t... he came for a ton of crosses, won almost all. I don't care if the punch goes out for a corner tbh, he came and won it. He missed one but every keeper does. He also tidied up with great starting positions on numerous occasions. Feels to me like minds are already made up so one mistake will equal a bad game when thats not the case imo.

Also thought TAA was the motm. Made some great interceptions and offered great width but its his passing from deep that impresses me. The thought of him hitting Firmino, Coutinho and Mane on a counter appeals greatly.

Most of the kids did well but felt Stewart (who's not a kid) was poor and Origi too for most of it, tho he showed glimpses of his ability. The chance he made for himself at the end is what he should be doing every game. Beast mode. The less said about Sturridge the better. Thought he had a shocker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Talisman wrote: »
    Pay per play contracts don't mean a player doesn't get paid if they don't play. The contract is structured so that they have a low base salary and then it is topped up by appearance fees and bonuses etc. It's not slavery!

FSG have tried to structure all contracts this way - they were not impressed by the player contracts when they bought the club. Or the fact, that on the eve of them taking ownership of the club, Carragher was awarded a contract with a massive base salary.

Oh I'm aware of that but they are still very uncommon. Having said that I guess if there are playing bonuses, which there are, technically every contract is a pay per play contract, just with a bigger basic salary.

Old vs young in training and Lucas is top scorer for the older guys.

New striker ? ;)

Will miss him when he leaves the club.

Yep, he's one of those players with a genuine affinity for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Thought AA,Woodburn,Wilson & Ojo did well. Gomez was excellent but Ejaria & Stewart were poor.
    Sturridge was very poor & selfish way too many touches . Origi was also very poor his touch is off & a terrible penalty.

He has a knock while Grujic is suffering with growing pains I believe.

Stewart in the middle means sideways and backwards, he has to become more ambitious.

Or booting it.

A lot of booting it around going on at the moment.
    It's well and good if you're giving it to someone in space or someone who can hold it up but we've just been launching it forward a lot lately.

Ignoring accuracy, our passing was awful today. We weren't playing our game. It was just some weird reversion to a kick about with the lads at times.

The only players who seemed to have a bit of chemistry and trust were Wilson and Woodburn.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Joe Gomez looks fooking boss. Only back from injury and commanding alon with being composed. He makes defending look easy.

Woodburn looks like a player I want to see more of, along with Wilson and Ojo. But I think that Ojo tried too much with the ball.

Sturridge was a disappointment for me.
    Origi was fairly pedestrian.

We got the win which is the most important thing.

Lucas :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Plus points - a win, Woodburn when he was moved central was really impressive for a 17 year old, Ojo's cameo is top notch (dive aside), TAA and Ejaria acquitted themselves well and LUCAS scored a goal, (may have mentioned that!). In the debit column go Sturridge, Origi, Stewart (Chivirella should have his place next season with any luck) and Moreno as senior player he is just not good enough in either direction.

I dont see Trent going anywhere tbh. I'd rather have Flanno back.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I dont see Trent going anywhere tbh. I'd rather have Flanno back.

TAA will be a top talent on the right flank - just not at right back it must be said he'll be moved to the wing at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Gbear wrote: »
    Awful ****e.

Some decent stuff from Wilson, Woodburn when Wilson came on, Ejaria and Gomez.

Hard to tell with TAA. The real test for him will be how well he can look unremarkable and give 7/10's every game for 2 months.
    You'd have to optimistic if Klopp's willing to give him the Utd game though.

I was hoping we'd have a bit of time off coming up. I hadn't realised we'll have the next round on the 28th Jan.

Brannagan is better than Ejaria & Stewart (but he is a DM).
    He is out with an ankle injury.

• Advertisement

A group of kids and Lucas playing two games against seasoned pro's and coming away with the win after the two games is a great learning experience for those kids even if some of them don't have a future at Liverpool this is they only real way to tell if they have the ability.

So it was awful sh1te to watch so was Red Monday with two fully experienced teams of millionaire footballers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

Reminded me of the time Puyol accused Arsenal of holding Fabregas as a prisoner when Arsenal didn't want to sell him :D

Since Mormank made this infamous post:

I agree 100%.

Oh christ. Really?? Do you guys have to take everything so literally?? Life must be very confusing for ye. No I wasn't calling them slaves, i was merely saying that if you had a slave and you paid that slave very well he is still a slave. It was in response to Coulson or someone else basically saying that because they are well paid they should do whatever they are told! :rolleyes:

Oh christ. Really?? Do you guys have to take everything so literally?? Life must be very confusing for ye. No I wasn't calling them slaves, i was merely saying that if you had a slave and you paid that slave very well he is still a slave. It was in response to Coulson or someone else basically saying that because they are well paid they should do whatever they are told! :rolleyes:

@mormank I stayed well out of that last night my post was about pictures posted today about free the slaves and a quote from Shankly being a slave all linked to Matip

Someone saying Matip is a slave is being stupid IMO.

He is a paid professional therefore has a contract which entered of his own free will and not a slave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I wouldn't go judging any of those young lads on tonight's game. It was a very though game for them all.

While none of them looked brilliant, I was impressed by Woodburn on how composed and patient he looked at times. There was a period during the 2nd half were he looked to playing CB and Lucas looked to be at LB.

I actually think Its not fair to expect so much from such a young side.

The squad needs a couple more experienced heads imo.

@mormank I stayed well out of that last night my post was about pictures posted today about free the slaves and a quote from Shankly being a slave all linked to Matip

Someone saying Matip is a slave is being stupid IMO.

He is a paid professional therefore has a contract which entered of his own free will not a slave.

Again I never called Matip a slave. Apologies. It wasn't you, I think it was Je Suis Mario. Was he the guy who posted about 100 posts in 30 minutes on the subject? If so, him.
    (Just before you take me literally again, I am using hyperbole, I don't think you actually made 100's of posts in 30 minutes....;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Again I never called Matip a slave. Apologies. It wasn't you, I think it was Je Suis Mario. Was he the guy who posted about 100 posts in 30 minutes on the subject? If so, him.
    (Just before you take me literally again, I am using hyperbole, I don't think you actually made 100's of posts in 30 minutes....;) )

You sure about that? Felt like it :pac:

We could do with some Je suis Mario posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Steven Gerrard is one of my favorite ex players, but as Pundit....

He is now known to me as.. Steven "Yeah of course" Gerrard.

He answers every question with "Yeah of course"

Again I never called Matip a slave.

Good, because he's not. He has choices, slaves don't.
    It wasn't you, I think it was Je Suis Mario

I like that, might spend the fiver to change to that name.
    Was he the guy who posted about 100 posts in 30 minutes on the subject?
    It was 200 posts in 15 minutes, please don't denigrate my posting prowess ;)

So, now that we've clarified that players aren't slaves, can't unilaterally retire from international football and those who don't adhere to the commitment they made to play international football if called up by their country when signing on as players with their national association must sit out games for their clubs if they do refuse to play for their country when called up what are we going to discuss?

Not much to discuss about the match this evening. Lucas scored, Sturridge should have had a peno but looks fairly pi$$ed off which how things are going for him at the moment and Origi missed a peno. Good experience for a few young lads. Move on to Swansea at the weekend. Will Sturridge start? Could be an ideal game for him.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    We could do with some Je suis Mario posts.

Duly obliged :cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement