Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

FitzShane wrote: »
    Lucas will stay I think. Probably some sort of gentleman's agreement that he will go to Inter in the summer, after years of speculation of going there!

I still think if we can stay within 5 points of the top with the last 9 games to go, anything is possible. Liverpool, Chelsea & United have all shown at various stages of the season so far what a run of 4 or 5 or 6 wins in a row can do to league position & points.

United is a bad example and as I'm pretty sure they won 6 games in the league in a row before drawing with us and they stayed in 6th the entire time. :p

Edit: I see that has already been mentioned a few times...oh well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

FIFA will either declare that Matip is free to play for the club during the Africa Cup of Nations or launch an official investigation into the defender’s dispute with the Cameroon Football Federation.

If the latter is the case then it could be a further 10 days before Liverpool receive a ruling about the former Schalke centre back’s availability.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-hoping-matip-green-light-12482304

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Aubameyang is to old for us, that would never happen.
    We do need a striker though. Augero too old too.
    We are not going to buy anyone over 25, unless its free.
    We need young players.
    Can's birthday was few days ago, he's now 23. Feels like he's 29 though.
    He has so much potential, it's easy to forget he's so much younger than Coutinho and Firmino
    Stewart is older than Can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Still nothing on Matip:
    Klopp had expected to hear back from FIFA on Friday regarding the matter but by his afternoon press conference he still wasn’t clear.

“No, we don’t have an update. FIFA mentioned to us this would be kind of D-Day,” Klopp said.

“It’s difficult because there is not a lot of training time. But I had to put me out of this case because I have to be concentrated on other things.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Griezmann? I mean if United think they can get him why not take a shot. Huge money but if we are back in the CL and if by some chance we were champions this season why not?

Would be the perfect player for Klopp.

go on have a laugh I know :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sooner have Aboomerang

Half a Suarez even

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Also southampton are seriously tight coming in for a loan for sakho .

Can't really blame them for thinking they could take him for free and in a couple of seasons we would buy him off them for £40 million

We do have form in this regard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

FitzShane wrote: »

I still think if we can stay within 5 points of the top with the last 9 games to go, anything is possible.

We have to get within 5pts of the top first before we can talk of trying to stay there. We're closer to 6th than 1st right now. Next 2 games are very important. We could easily be 10pts off the top by the end of the month

• Advertisement

When was the last loan then release of a major player? The sword of Lazar Marković hangs over my statement but otherwise only kids and Balotelli have been let go after a loan or two in recent years

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

When was the last loan then release of a major player? The sword of Lazar Marković hangs over my statement but otherwise only kids and Balotelli have been let go after a loan or two in recent years

Aquaman??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

So what time is klopp's presser? Can't find it yet.

Edit: found it

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Aquaman??

Ah that was 4 and a half years ago, hardly counts as an example of policy now. btw we got € 8.9M for him somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Klopp having a sly dig on the officials from last weekend when asked about Van Basten's idea of scrapping the offside rule

"I thought this season most teams play against us without the offside rule"

Presser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Hey Lads. Popping over to the match tomorrow and wanted to have a drink first to soak up some atmosphere, (early as it may be). Would you recommend anywhere close to Anfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I feel like we've had enough time off from being good at football.

There should be a fair bit of hunger in the side tomorrow.

A game against a weak side a few days after a big game, particularly if you won it, can make a performance a bit flat, but I'd say most of the lads have had a miserable ould January so far and will relish the chance to make mincemeat of Swansea.

With some sides that overeagerness can translate to complacency but with us I think it'll give us the energy to tear into them, at least until we got a few goals up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Ah no, a generation of 9 year olds playing 40 yard passes to the 5' 1" front man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ah no, a generation of 9 year olds playing 40 yard passes to the 5' 1" front man.

Say what you want about him but he is a fantastic Liverpool club man. Not many "legend" players have chosen to do this.

It should give plastic fans of other clubs more opportunity to sing about him!!

Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Hey Lads. Popping over to the match tomorrow and wanted to have a drink first to soak up some atmosphere, (early as it may be). Would you recommend anywhere close to Anfield?

Sandon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

He didn't officially retire though he just refused to play for the current management team.

So it's a Roy Keane Saipan situation except the ROI didn't have the balls to screw with Alex Ferguson and Man United by calling on Roy for every game during the season and thus making him unavailable to play for United!! :)

dogbert27 wrote: »
    So it's a Roy Keane Saipan situation except the ROI didn't have the balls to screw with Alex Ferguson and Man United by calling on Roy for every game during the season and thus making him unavailable to play for United!! :)

Wasn't Roy more fired from International football.

He didn't quit he was sent home for not apologizing after losing it with Mick.

16195312_1519558311407096_6283097882467378184_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=0434d81f5bcf09b22d1a4ea0f550210c&oe=5915EAA3

So I'm guessing our brown envelope to FIFA wasn't big enough for them to make u decision one way or another today like they said they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I like going down to the supporters bar near the cabbage. It's never that packed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Matip cleared to play tomorrow!!!

mav79 wrote: »
    Matip cleared to play tomorrow!!!

source??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    source??
    Across all media at the moment, Sky reporting and the likes of Dominic King and Andy Hunter also tweeting about it.

https://twitter.com/TonyBarrett/status/822556772355469313
    FIFA have dismissed the charges against Joel Matip, meaning the defender is immediately available for selection by Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

So I'm guessing our brown envelope to FIFA wasn't big enough for them to make u decision one way or another today like they said they would.

Oh yes it did (eventually)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Brillaint news! Full complement now bar mané

mav79 wrote: »
    Across all media at the moment, Sky reporting and the likes of Dominic King and Andy Hunter also tweeting about it.

Excellent news

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Odds on Matip scoring a hatrick of OG's now!?!

Poor Klavan was sticking pins in Matip dolls.

With all our CB are available does this mean Lucas now becomes third choice striker :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Delighted, obvs, but odd wording from Barrett, I didn't think there were "charges" involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Delighted with the Matip news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Excellent news

giphy.gif

Have we not seen enough Trump today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

corwill wrote: »
    Delighted, obvs, but odd wording from Barrett, I didn't think there were "charges" involved.
    It's just a bit of drama from a journo. Of course there were no "charges". Matip got punished by FIFA for not turning up when called up by his country to their provisional squad. Matip wasn't selected in the final squad (most likely for non footballing reasons i.e there's no way Cameroon have 4 better CB's than him) so he felt he should be free to play for his club regardless of the fact he didn't turn up for the provisional squad.

After much traditional procrastination FIFA agree, to withdraw the ban they had imposed on him, and he is now free to play for LFC against Swansea.

No charges, no drama, just plain old big organisation (who don't give a cr@p about the PL) bureaucracy.

BTW, this doesn't mean Matip is officially retired from international football. If he gets called up by a new Cameroon management team in the future he'll be obliged to play for them or face a ban from playing for his club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

After much traditional procrastination FIFA agree, to withdraw the ban they had imposed on him, and he is now free to play for LFC against Swansea.

I never got the impression there was ever actually a ban in place from FIFA on Matip. Rather, it seemed there was lack of clarification on where anyone stood, so pool weren't playing him to err on the side of caution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I never got the impression there was ever actually a ban in place from FIFA on Matip. Rather, it seemed there was lack of clarification on where anyone stood, so pool weren't playing him to err on the side of caution.

Cameroon have never accepted his retirement officially. Although he apparently only verbally retired and never stated it officially in writing to the Cameroon FA.

Not sure it would have mattered though.

I see Depay has moved on. What a flop. We were very interested in him at the time. We dodged a bullet there for sure.

16194890_407695409564345_5813539534898462548_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=573534648455404864e2bc96c5f01b58&oe=590AF50D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I was genuinely gutted when we missed out on Depay. He had a great time at the World Cup in 2014, then went on to be top scorer in the Eredivisie, it definitely seemed like he would become something special.

Few careers have stalled at United recently. Be interesting to see how Schneiderlin and Depay get on now they've had to drop down to smaller clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,664 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I see Depay has moved on. What a flop. We were very interested in him at the time. We dodged a bullet there for sure.

16194890_407695409564345_5813539534898462548_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=573534648455404864e2bc96c5f01b58&oe=590AF50D

I remember listening to BBC 5 live at the time and Paul Sarahs said that deepay was already the player that we hoped countinio would become :0
    Bullet dodged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yeah, the amount of highlight videos of Depay doing the rounds on FB were shocing. In fairness most United fans I know have held their hands up on him since.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement