Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Basically playing with 9 players starting both Can and Henderson. Both shyte, again, but lets all pretend its only Can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Embarrassing performance, forget the third goal what the fcuk happened for us to concede two goals so quickly. Terrible defending that cannot be excused.

Wasteful in the first half, Swansea had nothing going for them and we wasted our chances.

Swansea scored every shot on target they had, zero saves from Mignolet.

Very little shown from Origi and Sturridge when they came on.

Klopp's changes were bizarre again, I don't care if he's only back from injury, 2-0 down is not the time to take off Coutinho.

Playing the three man midfield of Can, Henderson, and Wijnaldum is Klopp's biggest downfall, it works for the big teams but it's needlessly defensive when we know our opposition are going to sit back. Can was hopeless again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Well that's the title gone now, need to get it together and make sure of top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

we lost that game in the first half imo. Tempo was shocking and swansea grew in confidence there longer the game went on. We should of been quick out of the blocks but were far too passive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Can any pool fans tell me the difference in those long balls and bringing on a defender than when klopp went ballistic last week when United used it.

Surely using it when you have no "tall" men in the box is actually idiotic?

I think this shows two things.

Managers will say anything after a game
    Pot kettle black

532b33db3a4505789860561e7c70d9b5.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We were already out of the title race.

It's one thing if it's Leicester who are 7 pts ahead of you.
    Then you can make an argument about how they might lose 3 on the bounce or something.
    This is a incredibly good Chelsea side by any standards.

This will just help the more delusional amongst our fanbase to accept it.

First half we were fine. We lacked width and pace but the lads on the pitch couldn't do much about that. 2nd half there were those two goals conceded which is hardly ideal but I was confident we'd get back into it.
    Even if those two goals we scored hadn't counted as they shouldn't have, I think we were doing well enough that I think we would've brought it back level.

The concern is how we gave up at 2-3. Just completely threw the game plan out the window and let Swansea dictate the entirity of the rest of the game. An absolute shambles from that point.

The other issue is of personnel, which I guess you can level at Jurgen because we have the money but aren't addressing the gaps in the squad, but we are where we are as a squad and you just have to accept that we can't be as good going forward as we were at the start of the season the whole year round.
    We have one attacker with pace, who happens to be African, and no senior CFs. You cannot consistently get results under those circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Thats what you get when you dont show a team respect, we were abysmal. Totally abysmal.

Can any pool fans tell me the difference in those long balls and bringing on a defender than when klopp went ballistic last week when United used it.

Surely using it when you have no "tall" men in the box is actually idiotic?

I think this shows two things.

Managers will say anything after a game
    Pot kettle black

Do you want an answer or do you just want to have yet another dig? We get it, what Klopp said really got to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I never thought the title was on so no change for me, what is worrying is the persistent failure to deal with the so called and actual small teams - it's been like this for years so I can't blame one manager or one cohort of players but it's in the bricks and needs addressing urgently.

Wouldnt surpirse me at all if we went on and bet chelsea now. Like you say its the lesser teams, in particular relegation fodder put it up to us and we've no reply. A team puts men behind the ball and we just seem cluless about how to deal with it, today we were reduced to punts and crosses (granted our 2 goals came from) but we are so much worse off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Gas how Mourinho took some stick from Klopp and Liverpool fans for long ball tactics and putting on Fellaini last week and then 6 days later yer sending on Matip up top as ye lose at home to the worst team in the league. Reminds me of the couple of appearances Caulker made up top last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Well that's any sort of a title chase over, fighting for top 4 now.

Failure to beat a team like Sunderland shows you can't win the league. Add Swansea, Burnley, Bournemouth to that is a shambles.
    Playing long ball late on was ridiculous we should have kept our composure & haven't the players to do it anyway. Origi & Sturridge are playing like N'gog so neither of those can be relied on in this form. Lallana should be left in the midfield 3, especially when Can was back to playing like a slow lump today. Thankfully Matip is back no more looking at Klavan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Firmino and Lallana grand.

The rest should of stayed at home, absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Consistently beating smaller teams has always been an issue since I started supporting this club. Under Rafa, Rodgers and now Klopp it's the same **** season after season.

We always get geared up for the big games against United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and City, but when Swansea, a **** team with the worst defence in the league, comes to town we get that dog**** of a performance.

Klopp has still got a lot to work on with this side. A lot of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Worst performer we had today was our manager by some distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gas how Mourinho took some stick from Klopp and Liverpool fans for long ball tactics and putting on Fellaini last week and then 6 days later yer sending on Matip up top as ye lose at home to the worst team in the league. Reminds me of the couple of appearances Caulker made up top last season.

Bit of a difference in fairness when you do it for the 5 minutes of injury time when there is no time left to pass it about rather than doing it with 30 minutes still left to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

How do you turn from:-

" Liverpool are the only other team in the title race"

to

" I never thought we were in the title race "

in the matter of one week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

The Coutinho sub was bizarre. Can was beyond useless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

It was poor alright, poor subs and poor tactics towards the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Im going to give this tread a miss for a few hours, let the dust settle, some of the shyte being spewed around is shortsighted nonsense.

Christ the match thread is just full of people ready to give their well thought out views on Klopp's career.

• Advertisement

Failure to invest in the squad is criminal really. I mean we made a profit in transfers last Summer while teams around us were spending tens of millions. We don't have any real replacement for the likes of Mane for example. Kids on the bench pretty much every game now. Admirable to try and make do with the squad you have and coach them but sometimes you just need an extra bit of quality no matter what.

That said I would not be overly surprised if we beat both Chelsea and Spurs at Anfield. We generally get it right for those type of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Polo_Mint wrote: »

to

Same way United fans did, I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Bit of a difference in fairness when you do it for the 5 minutes of injury time when there is no time left to pass it about rather than doing it with 30 minutes still left to play.

Not really. You do what's necessary to get a result. Mourinho got a result against a very good side, Klopp lost to a terrible side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Polo_Mint wrote: »

to

Did someone say that though?

NukaCola wrote: »

Since when does that matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Failure to invest in the squad is criminal really. I mean we made a profit in transfers last Summer while teams around us were spending tens of millions. We don't have any real replacement for the likes of Mane for example. Kids on the bench pretty much every game now. Admirable to try and make do with the squad you have and coach them but sometimes you just need an extra bit of quality no matter what.

That said I would not be overly surprised if we beat both Chelsea and Spurs at Anfield. We generally get it right for those type of games.

Have to blame Klopp, he made it clear enough that no one was coming in this window.

Doesn't matter, your post doesn't fit his misguided and moronic agenda.

Did he go ballistic or just state what happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Fowler87 wrote: »
    The Coutinho sub was bizarre. Can was beyond useless

I assume phil was only fit for 60-70 minutes, agree on can however he really isnt doing it for me lately

• Advertisement

Beat someone like Hull though and you'll still get people in here saying Klopp is the best manager in the world

Dont think anyone actually said this either?

Rafa was often criticised for signing for positions rather than getting the perfect guy in.

However, I think a signing like Riera showed the value of a tactical signing - a lad who wasn't great but filled a gap in the squad. He didn't have a huge impact and didn't perform exceptionally well, but just by virtue of being there he made the team better.

It's too late now. It was nearly too late by Jan the 1st for that kind of signing.

To go for the title we needed a game changer on Jan 1st, not a bit of cover for Mane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sorry lads, I said the other week when I was on my own and in my head while I was asleep after a bad knock to the head and running a fever for a week.

The thing I'd say about Can starting with Lallana in the front 3 is that Origi and Sturridge have both been ****e lately.
    It made the decision harder for Klopp than it should've been.

Then they both come on and they were still ****e.

The only other option is a Woodburn or an Ojo. That'd be a big call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Poor display on and off the pitch today....

Mistakes in selection IMO, as mentioned earlier the can/Henderson/Gigi axis at home v this Swansea side was very conservative, and the decision to leave out the first choice defender badly exposed with centre halves culpable for all 3 goals conceded.
    Mane obviously a huge loss, but neither Sturrige nor Origi offered anything. For a big man, Origi is poor in the air. Henderson's passing very very poor.
    Title race...top 4 is where its at now, as it probably always was. Still a little short in midfield and in depth of the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Dont think anyone actually said this either?

No I said that too in code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Can't blame Klopp.
    Origi & Sturridge needed to step up during this period & they haven't.

Funniest part of the day is that a post I made about the "neutrals" in the match thread is actually being thanked by them, and they still haven't copped it. :pac:

martyos121 wrote: »
    Funniest part of the day is that a post I made about the "neutrals" in the match thread is actually being thanked by them, and they still haven't copped it. :pac:

Are they telling everybody about how upset Klopp is again?

Actually there is loads of space - down the wings and no one is exploiting it.

This wasn't an accident. Clyne and even Milner aren't going to hurt you much out there.
    Milner put 1 good ball in that lead to the goal, but it shouldn't have stood anyway and we seldom have enough bodies in the box to make use of crosses so that's not a valid threat.

Firmino eventually got a bit of joy out there but then he's not in the center so you're left with nobody to aim at.

We need players pulling that packed defence out of position by beating a player out wide on the way into the box.

Meat and drink to Sadio Mane. Origi and Firmino can do it a bit but that's it.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Can't blame Klopp.
    Origi & Sturridge needed to step up during this period & they haven't.

Yes we can, you might not want to see it, but yes he can be blamed for a few things about today....

• Advertisement

Are they telling everybody about how upset Klopp is again?

They are indeed! I'll actually throw the gif in here while I'm at it:

WTDnnwE.gif

Still don't get how they thought this wasn't about them lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Would you be in favour of buying just for the sake of it so?

Klopp has shown that he will buy the players that will suit his system and style and is not going to go out and spend 10s of millions on the latest hot-streak player. We have a fairly good idea of the players he is looking for, the likes of Dahoud and Pulicic, young players with ability that he can mould into the type of player he wants them to be.

I can't understand the demands to spend money for the sake of spending and then spend weeks slating the player and manager for the wrong player being bought.

Patience is needed here.

Edit. That isn't aimed at you btw, just a general annoyance for me.

Couldn't care less about the cups, If we beat Southampton great, if not it's no big deal, but all focus needs to be on the Chelsea game. Any hopes of a title challenge are over and we could very easily end this weekend sitting 2 points off 5th place. We've said having a lot of home games to come will be of benefit, not if we perform like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

We were rubbish but sh*t happens. At least it gives the bell-ends something to snigger at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think you can blame Klopp. He's not perfect like, he's gonna get things wrong sometimes and then you can blame him for getting it wrong... Blame doesn't always equate to an insult, like.

I had no problem with the team selected. Realistically what were the options? Matip maybe but he hasn't played in ages and was only cleared to play again late last night. No doubt he needs to come in for Klavan now though who has started to make a few errors recently.

If you wont pay over the odds for a player or compromise on signing a player that is of similar ability to your number one target then you'll have a transfer window we are about to have. Klopp has every right to follow whatever recruitment he wants but we could do with a few decent signings. Could be a missed opportunity.

Defenders are definitely needed. Milner has been better at left back than anyone could have imagined but he's still very limited on attack, the opposition know where he's going to go 90% of the time. Klavan was supposed to be back up and never would have been expected to get this many games, he's put in some decent shifts but is nowhere near good enough.

Would you be in favour of buying just for the sake of it so?

Klopp has shown that he will buy the players that will suit his system and style and is not going to go out and spend 10s of millions on the latest hot-streak player. We have a fairly good idea of the players he is looking for, the likes of Dahoud and Pulicic, young players with ability that he can mould into the type of player he wants them to be.

I can't understand the demands to spend money for the sake of spending and then spend weeks slating the player and manager for the wrong player being bought.

Patience is needed here.

Edit. That isn't aimed at you btw, just a general annoyance for me.

Sick of people trotting out this bs. No, don't buy for the sake of it ffs, buy a good player who will improve the fcking squad, it's not rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liverpool just can't sit back and pass the ball about when it's a bus they are facing like that 1st half. You need players running in behind to try and pull defenders out of position to create space.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement