Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I was at the game today. It was really poor fare. How can you concede 3 goals to a team that doesn't even attack. Players I rate like hendo and milner were really poor. The front 3 barely touched the ball all we did was pass the ball from hendo to either full back. Sturridge barely touched the ball when he came on. Firmino was excellent with the limited service he got and looked really sharp which was the only positive. Can was shocking.

Turty was there too so we'll just blame ye 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

And the guy who started the match thread deserves most of the blame :mad::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Augeo wrote: »
    We're still 3rd.....ppg is decent..... lots to play for :)

We're playing absolute muck by far the worst team currently in the top 6
    No doubt things can change but we have been poor for a while now and games don't come any easier than Swansea at home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Gutted.
    First match I've missed in ages.
    It's the old question of 3 holding mids at home but for me Matip should 'ave started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So Can at 23 is young but Markovic at 22 is too old :confused::confused:

Only you,Toby.

Too old to wonder what he could be, he's has not progressed and it's a lot to have paid for someone that has proved nothing.
    We paid 20m for a 21 year old. That is too much. He would not make the bench let alone team.
    Can is young, my point is he plays too much, he is quality. Needs a rest though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Baffling how klopp won't play lalanna deeper any more
    Surely him there instead of can would improve the tempo of the side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Up first on Motd.

For those that missed it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'm a jinx I was at the 2 2 draw against Sunderland last year. I also managed to see us held to a 0 0 draw against Norwich in the 86 double winning season.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Up first on Motd.

For those that missed it;)

The snooker is still going. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just saw motd

Car crash defending.

Two lovely, lovely Firminho goals but we shouldn't need more than two at home.

The battle for top 4 is going to be huge.

We've gone from potential title contenders to top four contendors in a month.

I dunno if I'm being over dramatic, but suddenly I'm worried about the next month being season defining for a completely different reason that a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

doc_17 wrote: »
    We need to invest. Our squad depth isn't up to it. If we had, say Robbie Brady for 10mil, we could have had Milner in midfield today instead of Can. But our owners are careful with their money. They probably think someone should have to be sold for that to happen.

+1

Squad depth is horrific. Look at our bench for Christ's sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

ebbsy wrote: »
    +1

Our bench was pretty good today... Matip, Origi, Sturridge, Moreno... thats a good bench.

Also Robbie Brady... Milner in midfield... f*ck both of those things. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

There was also no pace in today's starting team so relatively easy to defend against.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

I hate being a Liverpool supporter 😢

ebbsy wrote: »
    +1

Klopp/Club has trimmed the squad well. Purse-strings need to vanish next season.
    Let's hope it's part of the master plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Results today were a little pat on the shoulder I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

We need to invest. Our squad depth isn't up to it. If we had, say Robbie Brady for 10mil, we could have had Milner in midfield today instead of Can. But our owners are careful with their money. They probably think someone should have to be sold for that to happen.

Brady would be a very handy January signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Off a cliff on the form guide though.

At least our bad period is coming at a time where others are dropping points too, and isn't causing us to plummet down the table.

I try every season to just stick to my goal of 2ppg, and in that respect, I'm still happy. I don't expect a league challenge - if it happens im delighted, but i refuse to be actively unhappy about the league unless we drop below 2ppg.

Praise for Rooney on MOTD
    Shearer '' Rooney is a guy who would play for 50 a week,a real team player ''

What a joke, he held United to ransom twice '' pay me more or I'm out'' each time the had to bow to the pressure.

Gerrard wants van Dijk in . Will club listen.
    I think Gerrard will be great manager and will buy proven quality for big money.

• Praise for Rooney on MOTD
    Shearer '' Rooney is a guy who would play for 50 a week,a real team player ''

What a joke, he held United to ransom twice '' pay me more or I'm out'' each time the had to bow to the pressure.

I think Gerrard will be great manager and will buy proven quality for big money.

Classic English media bias, I think we can all agree on that.
    Rooney will always be subject to criticism from most Utd fans to be honest and rightly so.
    Not the BBC however

• Advertisement

Maybe Gerrard should not be suggesting players to the club and Klopp now that he is working there. Best to say nothing, it's a bit of interference and undermines Kloop a tad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Maybe Gerrard should not be suggesting players to the club and Klopp now that he is working there. Best to say nothing, it's a bit of interference and undermines Kloop a tad.

Are..are you arguing with yourself?

Gerrard could do with a bit of media coaching from the club...he just says too much sometimes. Like when he talked about the Hendo/Ballotelli penalty incident live on tv. That's fine while you're a neutral pundit, but while you're employed by the club, there are just certain topics you shouldn't engage with.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Gerrard should either be a pundit or work for the club. Not both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

His time on the boob tube should be over.

Just saw a good comment on reddit - Liverpool are the Robin Hood of the PL

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Our bench was pretty good today... Matip, Origi, Sturridge, Moreno... thats a good bench.

Also Robbie Brady... Milner in midfield... f*ck both of those things. :)

I know who I'd rather have on the bench between Brady and Moreno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I know who I'd rather have on the bench between Brady and Moreno.

Its Brady I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd rather have Flanagan back than have Brady.

Imagine signing a winger to play at left back to replace a midfielder playing a left back.

• Advertisement

Also, the rationale of having someone new at LB so that Milner could slot into midfield...Milner has played his best football for us wide. Either fullback, or wing forward.

If we were going to shuffle him around, id much sooner have him up right wing forward replacing Mane than in midfield.

But ideally just buy purpose built players to fill into our weak spots. A top quality backup option for our wide attacking positions first and foremost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Lads... are we really talking about Robbie Brady. He's the most average of all average. I'd have Moreno every day of the week...

the mind boggles...

Imagine signing a winger to play at left back to replace a midfielder playing a left back.

Cover for the midfielder playing at LB, I'm down with whatever reduces the possibility of Moreno playing at LB for Liverpool.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Also, the rationale of having someone new at LB so that Milner could slot into midfield...Milner has played his best football for us wide. Either fullback, or wing forward.

If we were going to shuffle him around, id much sooner have him up right wing forward replacing Mane than in midfield.

But ideally just buy purpose built players to fill into our weak spots. A top quality backup option for our wide attacking positions first and foremost.

I agree with most of that. The problem is that it is very difficult for us to sign a backup who is top quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

I used Robbie Brady as an example, because he is most likely available for a sensible fee and is twice the left back that Moreno is.

And as for Can being quality? Well maybe I'm watching a different team, but the Can that plays for Liverpool is far from quality. You can't give the ball away so often and be considered a quality player.

We definitely need a left back anyhow, I'd love to see us try for Ricardo Rodriguez from Wolfsburg.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Big weaknesses shown today, especially when we have to play direct and get through a determined opposition. Mane sorely missed as hes our best outlet in that kind of game. Shows a big weakness in our squad attacking wise as Origi and Sturridge are too similar as to how they fit. For as good as we can be in front of goal I think now that we are a bit figured out. I thought earlier that we were fine attacking wise but all todays game did was convince me otherwise. We need to be smarter in possesion with a true finisher. Hate to say it, but someone in Ibra's mould would be perfect for this. A ball magnet that can cause problems, difficult to deal with etc. Firmino et al are too light. I think Origi can certainly get better but for right this minute, thats not good enough

5starpool wrote: »
    I agree with most of that. The problem is that it is very difficult for us to sign a backup who is top quality.

true...I wonder if there are any misfit speedsters around Europe we could do a loan deal for. Like Markovic is for us for instance, Depay was for Utd. A Berahino type of guy, or Affelay at Stoke who's had his injury problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I used Robbie Brady as an example, because he is most likely available for a sensible fee and is twice the left back that Moreno is.

And as for Can being quality? Well maybe I'm watching a different team, but the Can that plays for Liverpool is far from quality. You can't give the ball away so often and be considered a quality player.

Come off it. Like it or not Moreno once showed enough form and promise to be capped by Spain, 3 times in fact. Take off your Irish goggles for a second and ask yourself if Brady would ever get near that Spanish squad, never mind get caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Poor display on and off the pitch today....

Mistakes in selection IMO, as mentioned earlier the can/Henderson/Gigi axis at home v this Swansea side was very conservative, and the decision to leave out the first choice defender badly exposed with centre halves culpable for all 3 goals conceded.
    In the pre-match press conference, Klopp said that the team had prepared on the basis that Matip wasn't going to be available. FIFA's decision on the 'charges' against Matip wasn't announced until Friday night, which was too late.
    Mane obviously a huge loss, but neither Sturrige nor Origi offered anything. For a big man, Origi is poor in the air. Henderson's passing very very poor.
    Henderson is playing with a heel injury, his performances reflect that. Similarly, his performances suffered when he had plantar fasciitis in his other foot. When it comes to selecting the team, the likes of an out of form Firminio will always trump Sturridge. The reason is simple, Firminio will play the role required.
    Title race...top 4 is where its at now, as it probably always was. Still a little short in midfield and in depth of the squad.
    Challenging for a Champions League spot is the best anybody could have hoped for at the start of the season. Liverpool didn't have a European competition this season, so a title challenge was a possibility. That was a possibility only if the first choice team available for every league game. It also required the players to maintain their form over the entire season.

The reality is, Liverpool have a first team, but not a squad to challenge at the top of the table. Things could be very different if Klopp had been able to sign the players he wanted in the summer.

Ante Coric - could play in place of Wijnaldum/Lallana
    Mahmoud Dahoud - could play in place of Henderson/Can/Wijnaldum
    Christian Pulisic - could play in place of Mane

The players he wanted weren't available, so instead he has looked to use the players from within the club. Unfortunately there aren't yet moulded players available. It should be clear to everyone that Klopp won't sign squad fillers. He wants to sign players that are better than what he already has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Lads... are we really talking about Robbie Brady. He's the most average of all average. I'd have Moreno every day of the week...

the mind boggles...
    I don't want Robbie Brady, but at the same time I don't want a brainless Moreno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I like Brady in the Ireland side, but the thought of him at Liverpool is bad acid stuff.

He's been stinking for Norwich, in the Championship, their fans would love to see him shipped on. Sunderland and Burnley are rumoured to be hemming and hawing over perhaps making a bid.

How he's even part of the conversation here has me puzzled.

Lovern at fault for 2 of those goals. Would be better off sticking a statue somewhere in the box.

Have not posted here for yonks but can't believe ye can't see it. A complete waste of space.

One of the worst central defenders we've ever had. I heard that Klopp likes Gomez and has spent time with him just talking football during his recovery.

Hope he goes Matip and Gomez from here on in. He probably won't but Lovern is our current biggest problem.

Would be devastated if we don't get top 4 from our current position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Lovern at fault for 2 of those goals. Would be better off sticking a statue somewhere in the box.

Have not posted here for yonks but can't believe ye can't see it. A complete waste of space.

One of the worst central defenders we've ever had. I heard that Klopp likes Gomez and has spent time with him just talking football during his recovery.

Hope he goes Matip and Gomez from here on in. He probably won't but Lovern is our current biggest problem.

Would be devastated if we don't get top 4 from our current position.
    Harsh to say he's one of the worst we have had, but I agree he is the weak link in this team.

I said last week I'd drop lovren for Matip, not Klavan. And Klavan isn't great IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Harsh to say he's one of the worst we have had, but I agree he is the weak link in this team.

Don't think it's harsh, it's true. Worst of all we spent 20millionon him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If you run at our defence with pace everyone turns into a mess......every single one of them. We just dont get the protection from midfield and cohesiveness that is needed. Its strange as our pressing around the field is quite efficient, the minute players run at the defence though its like we dont know who to track and close down. That and crosses. Its probably hard to coach but whatever work is going on its not fixing the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

NukaCola wrote: »
    If you run at our defence with pace everyone turns into a mess......every single one of them. We just dont get the protection from midfield and cohesiveness that is needed. Its strange as our pressing around the field is quite efficient, the minute players run at the defence though its like we dont know who to track and close down. That and crosses. Its probably hard to coach but whatever work is going on its not fixing the problem.

Could you not infer from your points that the tactics are possibly part of the issue here? Is the pressing occurring in the appropriate areas of the pitch? Or do we just have to accept this when employing such aggressive pressing high up the pitch?

Talisman wrote: »
    ......... Things could be very different if Klopp had been able to sign the players he wanted in the summer.

The players he wanted weren't available, so instead he has looked to use the players from within the club. Unfortunately there aren't yet moulded players available. It should be clear to everyone that Klopp won't sign squad fillers. He wants to sign players that are better than what he already has.

Should be willing to get in some squad filler too though when needed.

"Players I want aren't available so I'll work with what I have" is if course your take on the situation...... nice noble idea.... slightly dosey if CL football qualification is being punted on it.

Could you not infer from your points that the tactics are possibly part of the issue here? Is the pressing occurring in the appropriate areas of the press? Or do we just have to accept this when employing such aggressive pressing high up the pitch?

I had & have concerns RE the pressing tactics. A solid defence is sacrificed as we are off balance when it goes wrong as our defenders are too far up the pitch.

That's why the man city performance was great. A plan B :D

Now city are far from representative of a decent CL team so how we will ever gegenpress a PL top 4 challenge and a CL run is a big question mark for me.

It's a simplistic view but most teams don't press in the klopp way......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Talisman wrote: »
    Things could be very different if Klopp had been able to sign the players he wanted in the summer.

I think you are grasping here somewhat.

There is an enormous pool of players involved in the professional game across Europe and further afield. If you cannot get the player you want; cast a wider net, pay a higher fee, pay more wages, compromise..

At some point, a failure to fill key positions in the team is a failing of the manager. Balancing holding out for the right player versus taking a risk on someone not quite perfect is the art.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement