Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    You say nobody suggested him as a target but they did. Why else would he have been brought up? Even just suggesting Robbie Brady would be better than what we have is madness.

I could easily pick and choose games where Moreno looked great. This isn't about whether Moreno is good enough or if I want him there its about whether Robbie f*ckin Brady is good enough for Liverpool. He's not even good enough for Norwich right now. If he was any good and available for 10m then he'd be snapped up. If Moreno is sold for less than Brady i'd be shocked.

I also don't think Brady is any better a defender than Moreno, he's also about as fast as Milner... he'd solve NONE of our issues. If he wasn't Irish you'd scoff at the idea. Sure the teams that are interested in him are apparently Burnley and Sunderland... if thats the level we're looking at then we may as well give up.

Signing average (or in this case below premiership average) journeymen is the antithesis of what we should be trying to do. Either you buy proven quality or you buy young players with high ceilings. Robbie Brady is neither, i can't even believe its a discussion...

It was a comparison between Moreno and Brady.

Exactly that.

Moreno can't be defended.

The rest of your post descends into strawmanning speeches about the club's transfer policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

He looked fine when he had Matip beside him.

Any ****er, going on 28, who needs babysitting or handholding is not at the standard, and isn't going to be. Lovren wasn't so much ball watching for their second yesterday as he was gaping at the sky like a child from an Amazonian tribe brought to see the ****ing Red Arrows.

Paisley would have erected a screen around him and called over a vet.

I've been patient, and advocated patience, towards him for a good while, but he broke my mind yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

noodler wrote: »

Exactly that.

The rest of your post descends into strawmanning speeches about the club's transfer policy.

Not exactly...

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Brady would be a very handy January signing.
    doc_17 wrote: »
    We need to invest. Our squad depth isn't up to it. If we had, say Robbie Brady for 10mil, we could have had Milner in midfield today instead of Can. But our owners are careful with their money. They probably think someone should have to be sold for that to happen.

Strawman is probably the most overused and inaccurate of accusations on the internet these days. Its the new Godwins Law. Brady was mentioned as a good signing. I debated that. And thats a strawman... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

corwill wrote: »
    Any ****er, going on 28, who needs babysitting or handholding is not at the standard, and isn't going to be. Lovren wasn't so much ball watching for their second yesterday as he was gaping at the sky like a child from an Amazonian tribe brought to see the ****ing Red Arrows.

Paisley would have erected a screen around him and called over a vet.

I've been patient, and advocated patience, towards him for a good while, but he broke my mind yesterday.

thought he was more at fault for the 3rd than the 2nd. The second was just a great cross and a giant forward got a nice run on it and buried it. For the second he lunged poorly with awful body control. In no way do I think we shouldn't be trying to find a better player but Klavan was waaaay worse than Dejan yesterday. If we do sign a new cb i hope we keep Lovren as he'd be pretty awesome as a 3rd choice cb imo. You can't have superstars in every position in the squad. I don't rate Klavan at all but he's prob as good as most 3rd choice cbs. Hope to see Gomez get some runs with Matip tho. Think that pairing could be awesome. Gomez just looks like a superb footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

When we talk of who's at fault for third it's worrying
    We are at home, worrying about the 3rd goal we conceded
    Needed a clean sheet yesterday. It would not be a bad thing to focus on not conceding and let the game end 0-0 or 1-0. We have 90 plus mins to score a goal at Anfield, we are all guilty of wanting game won in first 20 mins.
    We can not keep letting in goals at this rate and ever expect to win league. We will of course always be in top 3 if we keep playing as we do, GD is important. If you can score 80 plus you'll make top 3 every season. I want to win league though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We also badly miss and need a clam head who can slow a game down and waste time when we at under pressure.

Matip was doing this when he played/plays.

I just can't believe there isn't one another player in the team that has the brain to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

noodler wrote: »

Exactly that.

You're obsessed with straw men. Did you get a scarecrow for Christmas or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Been impressed with that Maguire for Hull. Far too good for Hull. Would be worth a punt if and when they go down

Good time for a blip we all knew would happen.
    Chelsea will hit their blip at some point too
    We will get back to winning 5 on the bounce soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Once again today CFC show you have to be comfortable without the ball even at home against teams at the bottom. Something we having been hopeless at this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

We also badly miss and need a clam head who can slow a game down and waste time when we at under pressure.

Matip was doing this when he played/plays.

I just can't believe there isn't one another player in the team that has the brain to do this.

We already have one up front, his name is Daniel. He's very shellfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

I can see is is trying to help but surely with his new position as youth coach, it is time to put the head down and stay out of the media and learn.

I'm delighted he is with the youths and added to that, nothing to do with the first team. He is too big a personality and I would hate to see him become a mouthpiece for the media. Let Klopp speak for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Markovic to join Hull on loan for the rest of the season after his Portuguese loan ended early?

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/823264621607976960

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Good time for a blip we all knew would happen.
    Chelsea will hit their blip at some point too
    We will get back to winning 5 on the bounce soon

Don't you mean Arsenal or Spurs?

He looked fine when he had Matip beside him. I think he's a decent second cb but when he's the one who has to take control and cover he's shown up. He's a decent cb when he's attacking the ball. Tbh there's not THAT many 2nd cbs better than him. Is he any worse than Cahill, Rojo, Stones at the moment? I wouldn't say so.

Not that we can't improve on him, we 100% can but there are bigger issues in the squad right now.

Tbh i don't have an issue with any member of the squad right now but it still feels unbalanced. We don't have enough pace. Put more pace into the squad and i don't think we have these issues. Not sure there's anyone with blinding pace coming through the youth ranks either so I think thats where we're gonna end up buying.

Also if we could get Dahoud it would be huge. He'd be the Lallana replacement in midfield that we REALLY miss right now.

But sure what kind of bullshít is that ?

I'd probably look good with Messi beside me.

Lovern might as well tog out in a clown suit. He's fùcking useless.

Like I said earlier. I don't post here but I had to vent somewhere. It's breaking my skull every time I see him play. He ruins anything good the team might do in a match. I only chipped in because nobody here was slating him. Tony Adams would be Maradona or Maldini in comparison.

Markovic to join Hull on loan for the rest of the season after his Portuguese loan ended early?

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/823264621607976960

Another future journey man we can't move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

So it's "Strawmen" now is it? It was "Whataboutery" for a while...it's hard to keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd probably look good with Messi beside me

Let's not get to crazy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

So it's "Strawmen" now is it? It was "Whataboutery" for a while...it's hard to keep up.

It's better than 'agenda' and 'narrative' which I've been seeing a lot lately, especially the latter. It's an annoying word when used in a conspiratorial sense.

5starpool wrote: »
    It's better than 'agenda' and 'narrative' which I've been seeing a lot lately, especially the latter. It's an annoying word when used in a conspiratorial sense.

'Narrative' must be the most overused word in the English language. Drives me nuts too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

So its Cameroon v Senegal quarter final next Saturday night.
    Win that and Senegal are there for the full tournament (theres a 3rd place playoff), lose and Mane should be back for the Chelsea game.

Not exactly...

Strawman is probably the most overused and inaccurate of accusations on the internet these days. Its the new Godwins Law. Brady was mentioned as a good signing. I debated that. And thats a strawman... :rolleyes:

You quoted me.

I had already confined my opinion to it being a Moreno vs brady debate.

You then quoted me again and went off again dismissing him as a potential target.

It is the definition of strawman.

If you reply to this, and you shouldn't, please don't type another unnecessary and inappropriate speech about Brady not being Liverpool worthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Strawman would be the worst of all superhero's......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

NukaCola wrote: »
    Strawman would be the worst of all superhero's......

Wrong. I could see him baling us out of all kinds of trouble.

• Advertisement

So we are now 4th in the table after 22 games, 10 points off top but only a point off 3rd and another point off 2nd. We have the 4th best GD too.

We are 2 pts ahead of Man City and have a much better GD at the moment but not much breathing space to be fair considering we are playing Chelsea shortly.

Utd are 4 pts below us.

6 pts covers 2nd to 6th, it's shaping up to be incredibly tight for CL qualification.

With Coutinho back and after 120 mins of football we should see some good stuff again from him soon. Mane getting another game at least in the ACON is bad for us but surely great for him ..... he has been one hell of a signing so far.

We are in a position that we'd have been delighted with a few months ago so fingers crossed we keep the ole ppg > 2 and we'll see what happens.

All other teams in top6 barring ourselves and Chelsea have European distractions again soon so that must be worth a point or three to us you would expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Turty was there too so we'll just blame ye 2.

I'll take the blame for that f*cking shocker, and also promise to never slag 5starpool again.

Surprised to see Can bear the brunt of the blame on here. His strength is surging runs with the ball, he just doesn't move the ball quick enough against packed defenses. And we've faced that so much this season that he has looked out of sorts.

Everything has pretty much been covered.

To concede 3 goals from their 5 chances is f*cking abysmal.

Llorente, like any strong striker we come up against bullied the defence.

Clyne seemed very reluctant/slow to overlap in attack.

Henderson's passing was dire.

As much as we missed Matip defending, we miss the likes of him and Sakho who can actually play a quick forward pass. Numerous times Coutinho was in space between the lines crying out for the ball but Lovern and Klavan just took too long or passed it wide.

Firmino is the main man. That second goal.

Was also watching Karius in the warm up and think he managed to save a total of two shots during the time I watched him.

Finally we need to talk about Daniel, got a good reception when he came on but by the end of the game he was the subject of a lot of criticism. I know he has one or two fans on here but it was like playing with ten men once he came on. Don't even think he had more than 10 touches.

Augeo wrote: »
    So we are now 4th in the table after 22 games, 10 points off top but only a point off 3rd and another point off 2nd. We have the 4th best GD too.

We are 2 pts ahead of Man City and have a much better GD at the moment but not much breathing space to be fair considering we are playing Chelsea shortly.

Utd are 4 pts below us.

6 pts covers 2nd to 6th, it's shaping up to be incredibly tight for CL qualification.

With Coutinho back and after 120 mins of football we should see some good stuff again from him soon. Mane getting another game at least in the ACON is bad for us but surely great for him ..... he has been one hell of a signing so far.

We are in a position that we'd have been delighted with a few months ago so fingers crossed we keep the ole ppg > 2 and we'll see what happens.

All other teams in top6 barring ourselves and Chelsea have European distractions again soon so that must be worth a point or three to us you would expect.

Some teams down the end of the table have conceded less that us though.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

So its Cameroon v Senegal quarter final next Saturday night.
    Win that and Senegal are there for the full tournament (theres a 3rd place playoff), lose and Mane should be back for the Chelsea game.

Obviously we're funking for a Cameroon win there, but even so, surely Tuesday after would be too early for him? Perhaps he might be able to feature on the bench, but nothing more surely.

Turtyturd wrote: »

As much as we missed Matip defending, we miss the likes of him and Sakho who can actually play a quick forward pass. Numerous times Coutinho was in space between the lines crying out for the ball but Lovern and Klavan just took too long or passed it wide.

This is a huge issue since Sakho hasn't played that was one of his and the teams main strengths when he was starting the fast hard ball to the feet of Coutinho/Lallana who turned and ran at pace.

The ball doesn't come out at pace now with Henderson doing the QB Gerrard 40 yard cross field pass.

I really wish Klopp and Sakho could sort out there issues but I know it won't happen :(

• Advertisement

This is a huge issue since Sakho hasn't played that was one of his and the teams main strengths when he was starting the fast hard ball to the feet of Coutinho/Lallana who turned and ran at pace.

The ball doesn't come out at pace now with Henderson doing the QB Gerrard 40 yard cross field pass.

I really wish Klopp and Sakho could sort out there issues but I know it won't happen :(

I think Matip does it fairly well but Klavan and Lovren are too slow/ can't spot the pass.

I think Matip does it fairly well but Klavan and Lovren are too slow/ can't spot the pass.

Yes maybe we just haven't seen enough of him yet he has only 11 games so far under his belt this season for the club.

Matip also drives out with the ball at his feet which opens up the field of play in front of him.

The one thing we can say is the defense is a whole lot stronger and more confident with him in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Sad news about Ryan Mason in hospital with a fractured skull and a bleed on the brain after a clash of heads with Gary Cahill today.

Sad news about Ryan Mason in hospital with a fractured skull and a bleed on the brain after a clash of heads with Gary Cahill today.

The club said he's in a stable condition after the operation but of course The Mirror went with "fighting for his life". Rag.

I'll take the blame for that f*cking shocker, and also promise to never slag 5starpool again.

Surprised to see Can bear the brunt of the blame on here. His strength is surging runs with the ball, he just doesn't move the ball quick enough against packed defenses. And we've faced that so much this season that he has looked out of sorts.

Everything has pretty much been covered.

To concede 3 goals from their 5 chances is f*cking abysmal.

Llorente, like any strong striker we come up against bullied the defence.

Clyne seemed very reluctant/slow to overlap in attack.

Henderson's passing was dire.

Was also watching Karius in the warm up and think he managed to save a total of two shots during the time I watched him.

Finally we need to talk about Daniel, got a good reception when he came on but by the end of the game he was the subject of a lot of criticism. I know he has one or two fans on here but it was like playing with ten men once he came on. Don't even think he had more than 10 touches.

Was Lovren as horrific in the flesh as he was on tv?

MOTD Singing praise of Harry Maguire
    Who ever that is
    Best defender since sliced bread apparently .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

MOTD Singing praise of Harry Maguire
    Who ever that is
    Best defender since sliced bread apparently .

Never took any notice of him before, but I saw the game today and he was absolute class.

Was Lovren as horrific in the flesh as he was on tv?

None of the defence covered themselves in glory tbh.

Also meant to mention in the original post how sh!te Mignolet was for their second goal.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Never took any notice of him before, but I saw the game today and he was absolute class.

No doubt someone will be bidding on him after that national praise on MOTD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Talisman wrote: »
    In the summer of 2014, the club missed out on Alexis Sanchez who many would have considered the right player. Then the manager took a risk by signing the not quite perfect Mario Balotelli.

Rodgers made his own choices and Klopp is doing likewise.

I don't think thats a good example of what people are suggesting though...Sanchez and Balotelli are pretty much diametrically opposite in terms of what they offer an attack.

What people would rather is, say, you look at Sanchez as you first choice. Skillful, quick, intelligent, wing forward. Can't get him, who's our next choice skillful, quick, intelligent, wing forward?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Even without Snodgrass they have a style and grit that gives me a lift watching them. Nothing wrong with the coaching structure at Hull at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

You're some four-star, Turty. There, I said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

This isnt entirely directed at yourself, even though i have quoted you. Its just a general view i have always had since the summer.

Henderson does an adequate job in that role but in terms of natural favoured position he will never be that type of player. This was told to Capello years ago and he played him there too. I just dont see it in him. He needs to be higher up and using his engine like 13/14 imo.

The lad isnt a natural where he is now.

What we have is one, albeit powerful, way of playing and not much else. We dont adapt well when we get a 'slap' back in the 'ring' of the game. We tend to melt sometimes. The reason we melt is simple to me.

We have a makeshift back 5. They are merely an average defensive unit no matter who starts. Primarily because we have a midfielder at left back filling in for inadequacy in Moreno, who is basically a waste of space in the squad. We managed to bring in a worse keeper that Mignolet and Klavan is no more than average, although its experienced average.

Matip is a good player but this is his first season in the EPL. The whole dimension of what we have at the back, as a unit, doesnt base itself in any way for a title challenge because it lacks experience in the league, it lacks cohesion together as a group, it has players like Milner who are providing cover and it has a pair between the sticks that nobody in front of them trusts implicitly to command the area nor give direction to others nor be free from occasional brain farting on an individual basis.

In front of that we have technical ability but no yard dog, no 'snide', no natural leader and very little physicality (in comparison to other teams).

This is Klopp's first full season. I am still very happy to have him and i was happy enough if we got 4th or higher this year. That remains the case. Problem is, you cant play the way we do in the EPL without running out of steam eventually. And if you keep the squad tight in terms of numbers you cant change much when it comes to tiredness or lack of form. This is also the case when it comes to issues like Sakho. You are left short of options. In a way you are forced to pick players even out of form. And thats the issue we have.

Team needs investment promptly. We seem to have the same issues we had under Rodgers, its just wrapped up in a slightly more charming way. 'The best we could get' versus 'we will only bring in the right players'. At some point you have to step up and pay up for crucial areas.

...... still need to buy what we needed to in summer.... GK, LB/LWB, CB, CM & winger/striker (x2 really) whatever Klopp wants.

Karius might come good tbf but I doubt Mig will get better at this stage.

If we don't get CL I reckon coutinho will leave in the summer too.

Gerrard would spend big on one player
    Klopp will buy youth
    Look at Ronaldo, one player who has carried a team for years.
    If we had a Suarez or a Augero we would win league. We have potential on Origi, a striker who can't sprint and a make shift would be striker in Firmino. We don't need a long list of players, we need one of proven quality to go with the ones of proven quality here already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Gerrard would spend big on one player
    Klopp will buy youth
    Look at Ronaldo, one player who has carried a team for years.
    If we had a Suarez or a Augero we would win league. We have potential on Origi, a striker who can't sprint and a make shift would be striker in Firmino. We don't need a long list of players, we need one of proven quality to go with the ones of proven quality here already.

Ronaldo is playing with World class players every week. One of the best left backs in the world, one of the best cbs, 2 of the best centre midfielders, one of the best wingers and one of the best strikers. Hardly "carrying the team for years", bullsh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Ryan Kent scored a cracker against Leeds the weekend. Anyone know how he's doing overall there? I watched the first half of it. He has all the attributes needed for a PL winger, he's quick, direct and has a great first touch. His crossing is hit and miss though. He can hit a lovely free kick too.

hefferboi wrote: »
    Ronaldo is playing with World class players every week. One of the best left backs in the world, one of the best cbs, 2 of the best centre midfielders, one of the best singers and one of the best strikers. Hardly "carrying the team for years", bullsh1t.

Yep, that carrying the team line is normally reserved for United fans when Messi beats him to the Balon D'or...because Ronnie should have won as Messi plays with the best players in the world while Ronnie plays with pub players.

I watched MotD 2 and saw the Firminho goal again.

It doesn't deserve to get lost in the disappointment of a 2-3 home loss against one of the bottom teams.

Beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

hefferboi wrote: »
    Ronaldo is playing with World class players every week. One of the best left backs in the world, one of the best cbs, 2 of the best centre midfielders, one of the best singers and one of the best strikers. Hardly "carrying the team for years", bullsh1t.

Is it john or edward that is playing for real madrid ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement