Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

sword1 wrote: »
    Is it john or edward that is playing for real madrid ?

Haha my bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

noodler wrote: »
    I watched MotD 2 and saw the Firminho goal again.

It doesn't deserve to get lost in the disappointment of a 2-3 home loss against one of the bottom teams.

Beautiful.

He didn't get much service but when he did get the ball he did something positive with it almost everytime. Watching him live I can see why klopp rates him so highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Markovic being recalled from a woeful loan at Sporting and possibly moving to Hull.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Matip also drives out with the ball at his feet which opens up the field of play in front of him.

I think this could be our biggest issue. The amount of teams that sit back against us now, its actually falling to the centre backs to start most of our attacks. I dont know how many times over the last few weeks I've been roaring at the TV for klavan or Lovern to walk into the space in front of them. Carry the ball forward with you... sooner or later someone is going to have to come meet you, then pop it off. Space created !!
    All this side passing between the backs and hendo is slowing the game down and playing directly into the opposition's hands.
    I'm surprised Matip actually didnt start the last day. Klopp was on all week saying he was fit and raring to go, trained well etc yet he held him back...against swansea??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Markovic being recalled from a woeful loan at Sporting and possibly moving to Hull.
    He came across in pre-season as a player who doesn't care about playing just happy to pick up his wages.
    He won't be seen at Liverpool again I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

hefferboi wrote: »
    Ryan Kent scored a cracker against Leeds the weekend. Anyone know how he's doing overall there? I watched the first half of it. He has all the attributes needed for a PL winger, he's quick, direct and has a great first touch. His crossing is hit and miss though. He can hit a lovely free kick too.

His end product has been poor that is to say hardly scored and fans of Barnsley are mixed about him, but they liked his game against Leeds.
    MD1990 wrote: »
    He came across in pre-season as a player who doesn't care about playing just happy to pick up his wages.
    He won't be seen at Liverpool again I hope.

What's strange about Markovic is how feisty he could be at Benfica and yet became so passive once he moved.

His end product has been poor that is to say hardly scored and fans of Barnsley are mixed about him, but they liked his game against Leeds.

What's strange about Markovic is how feisty he could be at Benfica and yet became so passive once he moved.
    I have seen in a few reports about him that he was poor in the first 4 months at Benfica but had a great 2nd half to that season in Portugal.

So really he has only had one decent spell in his career playing outside Serbia.

Outside of that he has been very poor. Porto & Benfica are 2 clubs always trying to overhype their players in the press to up there price tag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Outside of that he has been very poor. Porto & Benfica are 2 clubs always trying to overhype their players in the press to up there price tag.

Well I'm going to be crazeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and believe that Liverpool extensively scouted a player they were ready to pay 20m for! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Porto & Benfica are 2 clubs always trying to overhype their players in the press to up there price tag.

Sellers hyping up what they are selling isn't a new phenomenon or something limited to Portuguese clubs. Buyer beware is a well established concept and the reason buying clubs employ scouts and form transfer committees to professionally assess the target players qualities (independent of the hype put out by the selling club or his agent) and determine what they are prepared to pay for him.

Sometimes you get it right, sometimes you get it wrong and there are times where you get it right in so far as the player does have the talent and demonstrates it consistently but when they get their big move they mentally switch off because in their heads they have "made it".

Trying to determine how a player will react when they get their big move is very very difficult. You can do background checks, meet the player, ask probing questions etc but players know the answers you want to hear and are prepped by their agents so you only really find out after the deal is done.

Our Lazar Marković = Utd's Memphis Depay (and possibly Shaw and Martial) = Spurs Moussa Sissoko = City's Eliaquim Mangala and plenty of others. They had the talent but not the drive to be a success on the pitch for the big club. Success for them was getting the contract from the big club.

Wasted talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I'd say that defeat makes 4th nearly all but gone now... Liverpool really needed a great Christmas and January to finish top 4 but they have faltered in a big way. Unless they go on a ten game winning streak it's hard not to see them reeled in buy UTD/Arsenal/City etc. Klopp dropping Sakho in the manner he did has played a large role here... the defence is shocking, relegation esque. It was the one major weak area and while he has been unlucky with injuries he has left himself ridiculously short also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Vanolder wrote: »
    I'd say that defeat makes 4th nearly all but gone now... Liverpool really needed a great Christmas and January to finish top 4 but they have faltered in a big way. Unless they go on a ten game winning streak it's hard not to see them reeled in buy UTD/Arsenal/City etc. Klopp dropping Sakho in the manner he did has played a large role here... the defence is shocking, relegation esque. It was the one major weak area and while he has been unlucky with injuries he has left himself ridiculously short also.

Some over reaction here. Sums up why many stay away from this place after a defeat

We need nothing like a 10 game winning streak to stay 4th.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

A lot of hyperbole going on in here today , but then it wouldn't be meltdown Monday without wild exaggeration of the problems .

First things first that is a horrendous result and while it puts paid to our slim chances of a league win , to say it puts top 4 out of reach is nuts.

The issues of Summer recruitment are coming home to roost . Several players have needed a break from the team for either form or exhaustion reasons and the squad depth has just not been there to accommodate that. We rejig the team to much when one player is out ,this again is not having faith in a replacement in each position.

That said we are beginning to see the team return to a shape we are familiar with and I expect results to drastically improve in the near future.

While I would love to see one or two players in this transfer window , I am not to upset if he waits till the summer , the main reason we needed more players has almost passed and what we have should be capable of seeing the season out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

ricero wrote: »
    Some over reaction here. Sums up why many stay away from this place after a defeat

Milner got a kick on the ankle in training today. Apparently he has 24 hours to live. Now will Klopp buy a LB?

Indeed..... except for Mane, ings & Sakho we are back to full strength squad with no European distractions.

Are well placed to see out the season well.

The naivety on this thread is even worse than the hyperbole.

The naivety on this thread is even worse than the hyperbole.

Dry your eyes bud...... have some kool-aid

Augeo wrote: »
    Dry your eyes bud...... have some kool-aid

My eyes are dry, kid. I'm just being realistic here ... Liverpool haven't a hope of finishing in the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Sorry...have I missed something? We are currently fourth. Get a grip.

Tusky wrote: »

They were second a week ago... Klopp has flogged em to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

My eyes are dry, kid. I'm just being realistic here ... Liverpool haven't a hope of finishing in the top 4.

lol

Near full strength squad, no European distractions. At worst we've a 50/50 chance IMO.

Klopp will have learned a thing or two over the past few games too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Our fixture list for the latter part of the season is favourable enough, to be honest. Lot of home games as well.

We should be able to get enough of a run together to keep a top 4 place in sight. I don't really have any major expectations myself, but I wouldn't be panicking massively either.

The club said he's in a stable condition after the operation but of course The Mirror went with "fighting for his life". Rag.

Tricky one, especially when it comes to these type of brain injuries/surgeries.

Being stable doesn't actually mean that he isn't fighting for his life. It just means that his condition hasn't deteriorated further. He'll have been operated upon and will be sitting in intensive care. You could actually argue that he's both in stable condition and critical condition, technically.

No fan of the mirror, by any means, but it is a common misconception that being stable means that the patient is on the mend. Ideally they would have waited until more information was provided, but that's the nature of the papers/media these days.

Knex. wrote: »
    .............. I don't really have any major expectations myself, but I wouldn't be panicking massively either.

+1

Taking the big picture and ignoring how well we did for the first half of the season a 5th or 6th place finish in the PL would be where we expected to be really after having a right good go at CL qualification.

4th or better would be a very good season especially if we win a cup too.

It would be disappointing to be in the EL next season in one regard but so be it if that's where we end up.

Currently ppg is >2 so can't really complain too much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

J Mysterio wrote: »
    lol

Same poster said we were light years behind top four before the season started, now we dont have a hope of top 4.

I wonder what it'll be in another few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Augeo wrote: »
    +1

4th or better would be a very good season

Currently ppg is >2 so can't really complain too much :)

Exactly. Most sane fans asked for CL qual and to achieve that a 2ppg average would do.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Same poster said we were light years behind top four before the season started, now we dont have a hope of top 4.

Proved right.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Proved right.

Season hasnt ended so you cant be right :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Relegation to League 2 by the end of the month!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Think there's a good chance you'll take points off Chelsea next weekend, if ye can get Countinho and Firminho syncing. Will Origi start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Relegation to League 2 by the end of the month!

Proved right.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Are you from Cork too?

It's a terrible shock that we are light years behind some of the teams we are ahead. You'll need to explain that one a bit more.

Pulisic has signed a new deal at Dortmund.

He won't be joining anytime soon now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This is why I love the LFC thread complete mentaliers post here and make it a fun read.

Who needs yoks when you have this thread to read.

I really do love it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Only signed so they can get more $

Saurez only signed a new deal before barca bought him

Next pre-season starts with a long haul to Asia in July 20th - 22th in Hong Kong.

Next pre-season starts in July 20th - 22th in Hong Kong.

I assume it'll actually start in early July and have some local friendlies before the trip, like last summer.

Julian Brandt this summer then, please.

Dortmund just guaranteeing themselves a higher fee if he is sold. He may well stay, but signing a new contract does not mean that is certain as we all know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Tusky wrote: »

We are also gonna get reeled in by arsenal 2 places ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

5starpool wrote: »
    Are you from Cork too?

It's a terrible shock that we are light years behind some of the teams we are ahead. You'll need to explain that one a bit more.

Doesn't matter, proved right......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Knex. wrote: »
    Our fixture list for the latter part of the season is favourable enough, to be honest. Lot of home games as well.

On paper we have the most favourable run in of any of the top 6. However we do better against the teams in the top half of the table than teams from the bottom half so god knows what that means in reality.

Just have to hope that Matip stiffens up the defence a bit again now he's back and that when Mane comes back in a couple of week him, Coutinho and Firmino will provide the same spark up front as they did in the first part of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Next pre-season starts with a long haul to Asia in July 20th - 22th in Hong Kong.

Rumour is Klopp's making them jog over.

On paper we have the most favourable run in of any of the top 6.

Spurs have a fantastic run in. They've us away in a few weeks, and united and arsenal both at home in the last few weeks of the season. In between all that its mid table cannon fodder. If they build up a head of steam who knows what might happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Spurs have a fantastic run in. They've us away in a few weeks, and united and arsenal both at home in the last few weeks of the season. In between all that its mid table cannon fodder. If they build up a head of steam who knows what might happen.

Well they have United and Arsenal. Those are very tough games on any run in.

We don't play a top 6 side at all during our last 9 or 10 games I believe.

But again it's not the good teams I worry about us playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mightyreds wrote: »
    We are also gonna get reeled in by arsenal 2 places ahead
    It'll be even worse when Chelsea reel us in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Doesn't matter, proved right......

Haha, he sounds like Donald Trump during the Presidential debates. "Wrong!". :P

Alternative facts :eek:

Well they have United and Arsenal. Those are very tough games on any run in.

We don't play a top 6 side at all during our last 9 or 10 games I believe.

But again it's not the good teams I worry about us playing.

They have them at home though, plus its at the end of the season. As i said, they could build up a head of steam between now and then. Whereas we have chelsea, spurs, arsenal, city and everton before we come out the other side. Much of a muchness I guess.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement