Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Klopp says Henderson's heel is bothering him again, in pain but putting up with it. If this is going to become a recurring problem then he'll have to be ready to be benched - get in Mahmoud Dahoud or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Should be looking to improve on him anyway. Gets a lot of praise in the role and has had some good performances but his off days are on par with or worse than what Can gets lambasted for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Surely Grujic should be given a chance if Henderson is out, not sure what's going on with him.

Surely Grujic should be given a chance if Henderson is out, not sure what's going on with him.

Injured isn't he?

Fairly sure he'd st least be playing in the cups ahead of Stewart if he wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Physioroom has Grujic out injured with a hamstring injury and no return date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Vanolder wrote: »
    I'd say that defeat makes 4th nearly all but gone now... Liverpool really needed a great Christmas and January to finish top 4 but they have faltered in a big way. Unless they go on a ten game winning streak it's hard not to see them reeled in buy UTD/Arsenal/City etc. Klopp dropping Sakho in the manner he did has played a large role here... the defence is shocking, relegation esque. It was the one major weak area and while he has been unlucky with injuries he has left himself ridiculously short also.

I feel a bit sorry for you, you have just been 'cliqued' the circle jerk will go on for a long time now, I can't wait to read all the 'jokes' that will follow....
    I really do love it. :D

Ah that's why you have a zillion posts per thread.

Wiji took him out in training - back in 3 or 4 weeks according to a Serbian article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Markovic off to Hull officially

NukaCola wrote: »
    Markovic off to Hull officially

To Hull and Back, Only Fools go there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Should be looking to improve on him anyway. Gets a lot of praise in the role and has had some good performances but his off days are on par with or worse than what Can gets lambasted for.

He has been great this season. Was shocking on Saturday though.

He has been great this season. Was shocking on Saturday though.

Yes he was awful alright, he is entitled to the odd bad game though, he was just so lax in his passing not like him at all.

I don't know what's happened Can lately the lad looks cumbersome on the ball, he's far too slow at passing it, he seems to lack any guile or creativity, his main attribute was gliding over the ground a la Dembele for Spurs with some driving runs, have not seen that all season out of him, he definitely needs a rest or failing that a good lick up the hole!.

Yes he was awful alright, he is entitled to the odd bad game though, he was just so lax in his passing not like him at all.

I don't know what's happened Can lately the lad looks cumbersome on the ball, he's far too slow at passing it, he seems to lack any guile or creativity, his main attribute was gliding over the ground a la Dembele for Spurs with some driving runs, have not seen that all season out of him, he definitely needs a rest or failing that a good lick up the hole!.

e6b05d84aa03333b6935b6076aa7dfcf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Klopp says Henderson's heel is bothering him again, in pain but putting up with it. If this is going to become a recurring problem then he'll have to be ready to be benched - get in Mahmoud Dahoud or similar.
    There was a rumour a few weeks back that the medical staff has advised Henderson that the injury could require surgery and keep him out until the end of the season. Klopp and Henderson were prepared to wait until the end of the season for him to under go the surgery if it was still deemed necessary.

Thankfully the K is beside the L so it was just a typo!! An unfortunate one mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I do enjoy a well timed "ooh matron"

• Advertisement

SM01 wrote: »

I could be lame and ooh Matron you for this post but I won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I feel a bit sorry for you, you have just been 'cliqued' the circle jerk will go on for a long time now, I can't wait to read all the 'jokes' that will follow....

Ah that's why you have a zillion posts per thread.

It's only a matter of time,isn't it? Tick tock.

Harry has that 'joke' perfected.

It's only a matter of time,isn't it? Tick tock.

Clique clock, clique clock, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Serbian media reporting Grujic has suffered ligament damage and will be out till mid to late February.

http://sport.blic.rs/fudbal/evropski-fudbal/maler-za-malerom-blicsport-saznaje-grujic-pokidao-ligamente-zgloba/5mj7h86

• Advertisement

Clique clock, clique clock, imo.

Clique Klopp, clique Klopp round here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Serbian media reporting Grujic has suffered ligament damage and will be out till mid to late February.

http://sport.blic.rs/fudbal/evropski-fudbal/maler-za-malerom-blicsport-saznaje-grujic-pokidao-ligamente-zgloba/5mj7h86

Bit of a nightmare first season for him. Been injured for most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

daithijjj wrote: »
    This isnt entirely directed at yourself, even though i have quoted you. Its just a general view i have always had since the summer.

Henderson does an adequate job in that role but in terms of natural favoured position he will never be that type of player. This was told to Capello years ago and he played him there too. I just dont see it in him. He needs to be higher up and using his engine like 13/14 imo.

The lad isnt a natural where he is now.

What we have is one, albeit powerful, way of playing and not much else. We dont adapt well when we get a 'slap' back in the 'ring' of the game. We tend to melt sometimes. The reason we melt is simple to me.

We have a makeshift back 5. They are merely an average defensive unit no matter who starts. Primarily because we have a midfielder at left back filling in for inadequacy in Moreno, who is basically a waste of space in the squad. We managed to bring in a worse keeper that Mignolet and Klavan is no more than average, although its experienced average.

Matip is a good player but this is his first season in the EPL. The whole dimension of what we have at the back, as a unit, doesnt base itself in any way for a title challenge because it lacks experience in the league, it lacks cohesion together as a group, it has players like Milner who are providing cover and it has a pair between the sticks that nobody in front of them trusts implicitly to command the area nor give direction to others nor be free from occasional brain farting on an individual basis.

In front of that we have technical ability but no yard dog, no 'snide', no natural leader and very little physicality (in comparison to other teams).

This is Klopp's first full season. I am still very happy to have him and i was happy enough if we got 4th or higher this year. That remains the case. Problem is, you cant play the way we do in the EPL without running out of steam eventually. And if you keep the squad tight in terms of numbers you cant change much when it comes to tiredness or lack of form. This is also the case when it comes to issues like Sakho. You are left short of options. In a way you are forced to pick players even out of form. And thats the issue we have.

Team needs investment promptly. We seem to have the same issues we had under Rodgers, its just wrapped up in a slightly more charming way. 'The best we could get' versus 'we will only bring in the right players'. At some point you have to step up and pay up for crucial areas.
    Milner at LB is one of our strengths though.
    Klavan has done well at times but is inconsistent & at best is a squad player.

Lovren is too inconsistent & his passing & 1v1 defending is woeful. We need a better partner for Matip at the back.

We also need an upgrade in CM as well.

I think in the summer we will see further improvement's as Klopp's recruitment so far has been superb.

Clattenburg is the ref for the Chelsea game.

MD1990 wrote: »

I think in the summer we will see further improvement's as Klopp's recruitment so far has been superb.

Matip & mane superb.
    Klavan was bought as a squad player & is that so superb maybe if you throw the word about.
    Grujic - who knows.
    Karius - not superb as yet. Fingers crossed.

Milner at LB is one of is strengths though.

Lovren is too inconsistent & his passing & 1v1 defending is woeful. We need a better partner for Matip at the back.

Agreed Wijnaldum has been a superb signing in midfield Matip has been a superb signing in defence and Mane has been a superb signing in attack.

Ragnar has being a very solid squad signing.

Karius hasn't been great but may grow as a player as he is still very young for a keeper.

There was no way we could overhaul the squad by much than more this if we wanted to keep continuity with the players Klopp worked with last season.

We had overhauled the squad every year under the last three managers and that needed to stop we need to build and that is what Klopp is doing now add another 3/4 next season in the same quality as the above and we will be doing well.

Augeo wrote: »
    Matip & mane superb.
    Klavan was bought as a squad player & is that so superb maybe if you throw the word about.
    Grujic - who knows.
    Karius - not superb as yet. Fingers crossed.
    Klavan cost 4m though not a bad signing at all for that price.
    Wijnaldum is a better player than Can too & another very good signing.
    Much better than buying Ricky Lambert for 4m for example.
    He is a better CB than Lovren although I would want a new signing in that position long term.

Karius at 4m is better than Bogdan on a free too.

We made huge improvement in the transfer market under Klopp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Bit of a nightmare first season for him. Been injured for most of it.

He's still developing so I wouldn't be too worried yet. Iirc, Gerrard missed a bit of time around the same age and he didn't turn out too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Wiji took him out in training - back in 3 or 4 weeks according to a Serbian article.

What is this Wiji? How do you pronounce that?
    Not a fan of Gini either. Wijnaldum's just fine.

He is a better CB than Lovren although I would want a new signing in that position long term.

Yeah, all points accepted, I'd struggle to call Klavan or Karius superb signings. Better than Lambert no doubt but there's a fair bit in between those two quantitative measures :)

Wij' I wouldn't be calling superb either tbh, better than Can currently though.
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    .......Wijnaldum's just fine.

'tis a bastad to type out tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Letting Allen go is a regret.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Milner at LB is one of our strengths though.

That wasn't a criticism of Milner, it was more to do with losing what he offered the squad further up the pitch. But when he has to play LB every week we have effectively lost an option there. A right footed player at left back is a temporary solution to a problem. The problem being we didnt find a left back in the summer.

Klavan has played quite a lot for "a squad player".

Lovren has been inconsistant but imo is actually an upgrade on Skrtel, who played 9 seasons for us.

I would say 'superb' is a bit over the top to describe the clubs recruitment in the last year. Mane and Matip, yes. However, there are blind men who could see we needed a proper keeper and left back and we didnt manage it. I simply refuse to believe we couldnt have got a better keeper than Karius and a better CB than Klavan during an entire summer.

That wasn't a criticism of Milner, it was more to do with losing what he offered the squad further up the pitch. But when he has to play LB every week we have effectively lost an option there. A right footed player at left back is a temporary solution to a problem. The problem being we didnt find a left back in the summer.

Lovren has been inconsistant but imo is actually an upgrade on Skrtel, who played 9 seasons for us.

I would say 'superb' is a bit over the top to describe the clubs recruitment in the last year. Mane and Matip, yes. However, there are blind men who could see we needed a proper keeper and left back and we didnt manage it. I simply refuse to believe we couldnt have got a better keeper than Karius and a better CB than Klavan during an entire summer.
    Milner is stats wise the 2nd best LB in Europe. Been brillant so really Klopp should be getting credit rather than criticism for this.

A trash can on fire is better than Skrtel, so Lovren being better than Skrtel isn't saying too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

What is this Wiji? How do you pronounce that?
    Not a fan of Gini either. Wijnaldum's just fine.

Well he's been called Gini by everyone and anyone since he first came onto the scene, so that'll do for me. Pretty sure he uses that one himself as well. The others annoy me greatly.

Letting Allen go is a regret.

Literally no effect in the squad quality with his absence......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Coutinho and Clyne didn't train this evening. Injured again maybe?

So maybe there was an injury reason Coutinho was subbed off in the Swansea game and not just a stupid tactical reason that loads were giving out about.

I'm happy that Wijnaldum is an upgrade on Allen. Henderson I'd like to see as a squad player with a replacement bought in.

So maybe there was an injury reason Coutinho was subbed off in the Swansea game and not just a stupid tactical reason that loads were giving out about.

He was poor enough but I thought the sub was down to him only having 60-70 minutes in him and not running the risk of another injury. If there's any Captain Hindsight criticism to be made about the change it's probably that Origi wasn't brought on for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I'm happy that Wijnaldum is an upgrade on Allen. Henderson I'd like to see as a squad player with a replacement bought in.

It's a pity Can wasn't the one to make way for Wiji, and Allen kept as a squad player.

Coutinho and Clyne didn't train this evening. Injured again maybe?

Klopp said no new injuries in his presser a few hours ago though? Maybe just rested?

It's a pity Can wasn't the one to make way for Wiji, and Allen kept as a squad player.

What has Allen got that Can doesn't bring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Milner is stats wise the 2nd best LB in Europe. Been brillant so really Klopp should be getting credit rather than criticism for this.

A trash can on fire is better than Skrtel, so Lovren being better than Skrtel isn't saying too much.

I dont believe people are interested in fun facts stats for left backs across Europe (are those 'stats on steroids' because of penalties?), i think people are interested in pushing the club higher up the table. Why cant we use Milner where he has played his entire career?. Would he not be equally useful there?. Again, its not about Milner, he should be applauded for getting on with the job, its definitely not criticism. What you are suggesting there is that if Clyne got injured long term and we dropped a left footed midfielder in there that would be fine, even progress?. This attitude will catch up with us eventually. Maybe we should play Matip as a striker next year if we cant find a replacement for Sturridge!!. Flippant, i know.

As for Lovren, i think he is fine alongside a commanding CB, that appears to be what Klopp currently thinks also. However we currently have Sakho who wont get a game and 2 others who have about 20 league games between them in England. Which all goes back to the original point made. Last season we had trouble at the back in various positions, did people think 8m odd on 2 players was going to cure those problems?. Its all tied in to lack of investment in the squad in those areas and that was the original point.

Klopp said no new injuries in his presser a few hours ago though? Maybe just rested?

Or not going to be risked after being out for a while with the Chelsea game coming up next Tuesday.

Milner is a fine LB, but we are blunt in the overlap down our left and he continuously cuts back onto his right. He's done a great job to be fair but how better would we be in attack/defence with a better LB? Happy enough with him tough if I'm honest.

• Advertisement

Or not going to be risked after being out for a while with the Chelsea game coming up next Tuesday.

Yea, probably the most likeliest scenario tbh

Lovern is not fine in any capacity. He's a constant liability and needs shifting desperately.

I'd be open to seeing a last chance given to Sakho seeing as we wont be buying any CB's soon.......Him and Matip could be a really good partnership......

Klavan has played only because the Matip injury (and Cameroon cock up) dragged on so much longer than expected. He's fine as a 3rd/4th choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What has Allen got that Can doesn't bring?

The problem I guess is that the things Can brings, he's not really been bringing this year.

I agree that most of the quick turnover from defence to attack that Allen brings, can also be done by Can, but unfortunately something weird is going on with him now. What we're seeing isn't the guy that was grabbing games like the Dortmund one by the scruff of the neck, instead he's like a watered down version of late. Just everything he's doing is 30% slower, and heavier, and more cumbersome.

He's young though, there's still a terrific player in there. But for the short term, another option would have been nice for when Lallana or Wijnaldum are out, as if either leave the midfield, we're suddenly much slower, and more defensive (theoretically, while still having a rubbish defense...)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement