Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The problem I guess is that the things Can brings, he's not really been bringing this year.

I agree that most of the quick turnover from defence to attack that Allen brings, can also be done by Can, but unfortunately something weird is going on with him now. What we're seeing isn't the guy that was grabbing games like the Dortmund one by the scruff of the neck, instead he's like a watered down version of late. Just everything he's doing is 30% slower, and heavier, and more cumbersome.

He's young though, there's still a terrific player in there. But for the short term, another option would have been nice for when Lallana or Wijnaldum are out, as if either leave the midfield, we're suddenly much slower, and more defensive (theoretically, while still having a rubbish defense...)

Agree with all of this.

I like Allen, I just think it was understandable that he was let go when you look at what we have in midfield long term. I dont think he adds anything that justifies him being here apart from being a competent backup. Can has shown he can step it up to another level where you know by and large what Allen is bringing, solid steady but unremarkable. I think we do need more quality in the middle, I dont think Allen was/is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

NukaCola wrote:
    What has Allen got that Can doesn't bring?

The ability to turn faster than the titanic.

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    The ability to turn faster than the titanic.

Can hasn't been up to it lately i will admit but I'd rather have him over Allen in the squad personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Origi and Can are two kids that need time.
    People talk of Can like he's some seasoned pro, Stewart is older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Full article on Klopp talking about post Swansea team talk, the EFL Cup game and the early Chelsea KO.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/23/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-southampton-efl-cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

daithijjj wrote: »
    I dont believe people are interested in fun facts stats for left backs across Europe (are those 'stats on steroids' because of penalties?), i think people are interested in pushing the club higher up the table. Why cant we use Milner where he has played his entire career?. Would he not be equally useful there?. Again, its not about Milner, he should be applauded for getting on with the job, its definitely not criticism. What you are suggesting there is that if Clyne got injured long term and we dropped a left footed midfielder in there that would be fine, even progress?. This attitude will catch up with us eventually. Maybe we should play Matip as a striker next year if we cant find a replacement for Sturridge!!. Flippant, i know.

As for Lovren, i think he is fine alongside a commanding CB, that appears to be what Klopp currently thinks also. However we currently have Sakho who wont get a game and 2 others who have about 20 league games between them in England. Which all goes back to the original point made. Last season we had trouble at the back in various positions, did people think 8m odd on 2 players was going to cure those problems?. Its all tied in to lack of investment in the squad in those areas and that was the original point.
    Milner is a unique case. He has played various positions during his career. I think he has now found his best position as a full back. Although he would be better on the Right but we have Clyne.

Please stop being stupid with these other suggestions about Matip,Sturridge.

Saying Lovren has to depend on a commanding CB to play well is basically saying you want a CB to carry him it is the very same mistake that resulted in Skrtel staying at Liverpool so long.

He isn't good enough for us as a starter & I think saying he needs a commanding CB alongside him proves this.

We have still had problems since Lovren has signed doesn't that tell you something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

NukaCola wrote:
    Can hasn't been up to it lately i will admit but I'd rather have him over Allen in the squad personally.

I was always an Allen fan. Thought he put himself about and was good at transitioning through midfield at a decent pace. I think we miss him. Henderson and Allen or Can and Allen would be a better balanced midfield for me. You couldn't rely on Allen though as he was prone to a few knocks and slow at getting back up to speed so I understand why he was moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd quite like to see Ejaria start being viewed as a viable starting option. While Lallana is pushing forward in Mane's absence, I would prefer Henderson, Ejaria and Wijnaldum to shoehorning Can in there. Have Can be the cover for Hendo.

Ejaria just seems like a guy who will step up his game surrounded by better players too. Very quick on the turn, composed under pressure, and quick to spot options on the move. He's really impressed me this year right from preseason onwards.

I'd sooner see Lallana in his best position and play Ojo or Wilson wide as it's not as critical a position and yes I know how that might sound given Mane's pace is so missed, but in terms of effective shape Lallana in the most advanced midfield role is vital for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

NukaCola wrote: »

Said it yesterday but I think the way teams set up against us has contributed to Can's poor form. Tipping it around in front of a packed box isn't his strong point. Don't know offhand but I would reckon his better performances came against the bigger teams or teams that tried to attack us like the United game a few weeks ago where there was space for him to charge forward with the ball.

Hope there's nothing in the Juventus story though, if they got €100 million for Pogba I'd hate to see how much it'd cost to buy Can back.

• Advertisement

Full article on Klopp talking about post Swansea team talk, the EFL Cup game and the early Chelsea KO.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/23/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-southampton-efl-cup

"Sometimes there’s a single mistake, but most of the time it is seven or eight players who could have done something differently. That’s how we understand "

Fingers crossed he'll address this on the training pitch over the coming months so we don't read about it next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd sooner see Lallana in his best position and play Ojo or Wilson wide as it's not as critical a position and yes I know how that might sound given Mane's pace is so missed, but in terms of effective shape Lallana in the most advanced midfield role is vital for me.

Or even Origi.

Even off form, just sticking a quick lad out wide creates more space centrally.

I'd rather effectively play with 10 and our proper gameplan, with Lallana at the heart of things, than rip it up and play the dishevelled mutant system we've been attempting lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I was thinking about ojo. Gives width and pace and looked good anytime I be seen him ( once or twice )

Lallana in the midfield 3 is a must IMO when he's fit especially with Coutinho in the front 3.

Any two of Wij, Hendo, Can are fine against most PL opposition behind him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The Mirror are linking us to William Carvalho, said we have reps in Portugal to tie up the deal.

I'm going to say it's absolute ****e (as these rumours always are), but mainly because this one says Klopp wants his for reinforcements in Mane's absence...

Solid move to sign a DM to replace your speedy winger.

Further down the column, they also say that we've opened contract talks with Coutinho and that Pulisic is looking for an extension at Dortmund.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-rumours-reds-9681344

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

So basically another day linked with no one and I don't mean the footballer. I nearly feel sorry for the journalists feeling the need to make up stories and losing credibility when they have no substance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I don't like this whole "we're not happy with the way we're playing" from that Guardian article. Smacks of Rodgers era before he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

sword1 wrote: »
    So basically another day linked with no one and I don't mean the footballer. I nearly feel sorry for the journalists feeling the need to make up stories and losing credibility when they have no substance.

I feel sorry for anyone trying to second guess Klopp's activity in the transfer market. He will move when he is good and ready, don't be fretting about the poor journalists or those who live for the next shiny bauble to hang their hopes on.

.......... we've opened contract talks with Coutinho ............

He's a worry imo, can't see anyone coming in for Henderson, Can or Lallana but coutinho could be hard to hold on to, big worry if we don't get CL.
    Vicxas wrote: »
    I don't like this whole "we're not happy with the way we're playing" from that Guardian article. Smacks of Rodgers era before he left.

So too the defensive mistakes speel

Although with Klopp not being a native English speaker I feel the journo's can put a huge sway on how things get to print.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I think we are a lot further ahead than that in fairness...

I think he is basically questioning how can we fall apart the way we do, and rightfully so, what causes it other than defensive brain farts....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Seems like a stretch, IMHO. I think we're a long way from that level of disquieting dysfunction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

All the talk seems to be that Coutinho's happy to sign on as Liverpool's highest earner, as he should be, with no release clause in his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Remaining fixtures, dates and game order can be changed for cups

Tuesday 31st January 2017
    Arsenal v Watford 19:45
    Sunderland v Tottenham Hotspur 19:45
    Liverpool v Chelsea 20:00

Wednesday 1st February 2017
    West Ham United v Manchester City 19:45
    Manchester United v Hull City 20:00

Saturday 4th February 2017
    Chelsea v Arsenal 12:30
    Hull City v Liverpool 15:00
    Tottenham Hotspur v Middlesbrough 17:30

Sunday 5th February 2017
    Manchester City v Swansea City 13:30
    Leicester City v Manchester United 16:00

Saturday 11th February 2017
    Arsenal v Hull City 12:30
    Manchester United v Watford 15:00
    Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur 17:30

Sunday 12th February 2017
    Burnley v Chelsea 13:30

Monday 13th February 2017
    Bournemouth v Manchester City 20:00

Saturday 25th February 2017
    Chelsea v Swansea City 15:00
    Southampton v Arsenal 15:00

Sunday 26th February 2017
    Tottenham Hotspur v Stoke City 12:00
    Manchester City v Manchester United 14:15

Monday 27th February 2017
    Leicester City v Liverpool 20:00

Saturday 4th March 2017
    Liverpool v Arsenal 15:00
    Manchester United v Bournemouth 15:00
    Sunderland v Manchester City 15:00
    Tottenham Hotspur v Everton 15:00
    West Ham United v Chelsea 15:00

Saturday 11th March 2017
    Arsenal v Leicester City 15:00
    Chelsea v Watford 15:00
    Crystal Palace v Tottenham Hotspur 15:00
    Manchester City v Stoke City 15:00
    Southampton v Manchester United 15:00

Sunday 12th March 2017
    Liverpool v Burnley 16:00

Saturday 18th March 2017
    Manchester City v Liverpool 15:00
    Middlesbrough v Manchester United 15:00
    Stoke City v Chelsea 15:00
    Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton 15:00
    West Bromwich Albion v Arsenal 15:00

Saturday 1st April 2017
    Arsenal v Manchester City 15:00
    Burnley v Tottenham Hotspur 15:00
    Chelsea v Crystal Palace 15:00
    Liverpool v Everton 15:00
    Manchester United v West Bromwich Albion 15:00

Tuesday 4th April 2017
    Arsenal v West Ham United 19:45
    Swansea City v Tottenham Hotspur 19:45
    Manchester United v Everton 20:00

Wednesday 5th April 2017
    Chelsea v Manchester City 19:45
    Liverpool v Bournemouth 20:00

Saturday 8th April 2017
    Bournemouth v Chelsea 15:00
    Crystal Palace v Arsenal 15:00
    Manchester City v Hull City 15:00
    Stoke City v Liverpool 15:00
    Sunderland v Manchester United 15:00
    Tottenham Hotspur v Watford 15:00

Saturday 15th April 2017
    Manchester United v Chelsea 15:00
    Middlesbrough v Arsenal 15:00
    Southampton v Manchester City 15:00
    Tottenham Hotspur v Bournemouth 15:00

Sunday 16th April 2017
    West Bromwich Albion v Liverpool 16:00

Saturday 22nd April 2017
    Arsenal v Sunderland 15:00
    Burnley v Manchester United 15:00
    Chelsea v Southampton 15:00
    Leicester City v Tottenham Hotspur 15:00
    Liverpool v Crystal Palace 15:00
    Manchester City v West Bromwich Albion 15:00

Saturday 29th April 2017
    Everton v Chelsea 15:00
    Manchester United v Swansea City 15:00
    Middlesbrough v Manchester City 15:00
    Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal 15:00
    Watford v Liverpool 15:00

Saturday 6th May 2017
    Arsenal v Manchester United 15:00
    Chelsea v Middlesbrough 15:00
    Liverpool v Southampton 15:00
    Manchester City v Crystal Palace 15:00
    West Ham United v Tottenham Hotspur 15:00

Saturday 13th May 2017
    Manchester City v Leicester City 15:00
    Stoke City v Arsenal 15:00
    Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United 15:00
    West Bromwich Albion v Chelsea 15:00
    West Ham United v Liverpool 15:00

Sunday 21st May 2017
    Arsenal v Everton 15:00
    Chelsea v Sunderland 15:00
    Hull City v Tottenham Hotspur 15:00
    Liverpool v Middlesbrough 15:00
    Manchester United v Crystal Palace 15:00
    Watford v Manchester City 15:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Can stalling over signing a new contract.

He believes he worth more than the club are offering him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Anyone think Van Aanholt from Sunderland would be a decent buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

NEDDURC wrote: »

God no. We have one left back who cant defend, dont need another.

What about Grzegorz Krychowiak? Apparently not settling at PSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

He is even worse defensively than moreno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

He is even worse defensively than moreno
    But better attacking also and more mobile. He's been playing in an awful team now for 2 years. Not sure I remember many of their goals conceded relating to him. He often contributes to their attack though.
    In a 4-3-3 there is alot of onus on the defenders to be wing backs and add to the attack at times. Might suit our style of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

But better attacking also and more mobile. He's been playing in an awful team now for 2 years. Not sure I remember many of their goals conceded relating to him. He often contributes to their attack though.
    In a 4-3-3 there is alot of onus on the defenders to be wing backs and add to the attack at times. Might suit our style of play.

He is much better going forward alright but there has been lots of goals conceded that he was to blame for. Milner is streets ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Van Aanholt. LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Further down the column, they also say that we've opened contract talks with Coutinho and that Pulisic is looking for an extension at Dortmund.
    I can't wait for the exclusive on how Liverpool missed out on another transfer target - Michael Zorc announced at the weekend that Pulisic had extended his contract. Yesterday it was confirmed that his contract has been extended to 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Klopp on the lack of transfer news:
    “I understand it is absolutely normal that people ask whether we should have brought players in. The situation is yes, on the one side pretty simple, but on the other hand it is pretty difficult. It is not that we don’t want to bring players in. We do. But the thing is, the players we want because we think they help us, the clubs don’t sell. It is not about money in this situation, it is the winter transfer window.

“Clubs are saying ‘No, we have half a year to go, we cannot find another player like this, we prefer to take money in the summer than a few pounds more in the winter than whatever’. So it is pretty easy. You see the situation. It’s tight, it’s close, we know that, but if the right decision is not possible in signing the right player then you cannot make the wrong transfer.

“It is not as if there are 20 players out there who could make this team stronger, who are running around and are available. That is the situation. That is why I say we know the situation, we are prepared to move, but for the right player. We are not the only side who can decide the outcome of that, though, are we? The selling club makes the decision too.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/22/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-transfer-window-swansea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Still won't stop all the Football Manager lads on here crying 'Spend! Spend! Spend!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hazard-correa-schopf-who-liverpool-12500980

And if we were to 'spend, spend, spend', this is who the Liverpool Echo reckon we should move for.

Few names on there I've never heard of, I must admit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Chin up lads, at least we missed out of Joleon Lescott.

It's an evasion really. They don't have to be the "right" player and they don't have to be a player nobody is willing to sell.
    They just need to be good enough to do a job.

Klopp doesn't look willing to compromise on transfers.

Being too short-termist isn't right either - in constantly looking for incremental improvements Benitez surely wasted money on players who produced nothing - but there needs to be a balance.

Klopp appears to be on the other extreme.

Long term you can see how they both could work, but it can lead to cashflow problems with the incremental improvements and a bloated squad at the end of the managers tenure, whereas with being overly parsimonious, a season can be written off in a short period as you've left yourself short in an effort to be frugal and only get the perfect player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I really hoped Klopp was going to have more pulling power in the transfer market and also that he wouldn't take sh1t off the owners regards the funds. I guess we just gotta suck it up, the squad is threadbare and badly needing signings but we can't get the 'right' player for the 'right deal, it will cost us top 4 and then again in the summer it'll be oh sure we have no CL we can't sign decent players, rinse and repeat and on and on.

Can stalling over signing a new contract.

He believes he worth more than the club are offering him.

Hmmm he needs to watch his p's and q's, no player that is underperforming and indeed not playing much can get bullish about their worth.

Hmmm he needs to watch his p's and q's, no player that is underperforming and indeed not playing much can get bullish about their worth.

You can with 18 months left on your contract if you reckon other clubs will cough up more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I'd prefer a squad in 1 or 2 years full of players klopp wants,rather than 5-6 stop gaps,our progress is going well under the manager..We ain't gonna win the league from two transfer windows lads.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    You can with 18 months left on your contract if you reckon other clubs will cough up more.

That would be true if that were the likely case but I'd say he is on as big a cheque as he's likely to get and if it gets bigger it'll be at Liverpool in the future having shown his worth (or China!) I don't see any other club being interested in Can for the same wage.

Ryan Kent v Leeds (very good for the most part, excellent dead ball technique)

Gbear wrote: »
    It's an evasion really. They don't have to be the "right" player and they don't have to be a player nobody is willing to sell.
    They just need to be good enough to do a job.

Klopp doesn't look willing to compromise on transfers.

When you do compromise your more likely to get duds like Mario and Markovic though with how we operate. I'm not 100% behind Klopp on this one but I do admire him taking control of the revolving door of garbage we engage in with transfers.

He has a 6 year contract and has no interest in short term fixes. Short term pain long term gain, if it blows up in his face there can be no Klopp vs transfer committee either so its all on him. I'm pretty confident in his ability to get the absolute right players in. Not 100% sure if its the right thing but you have to let him do his job his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Reading a preview of the upcoming MLS season and see that Philadelphia Union have signed the younger brother of one of our players, left back Giliano Wijnaldum

Will be looking out for him this season

With the Juve scouting him reports the other day you can just see it's a whole game now.

I'd be guessing Can's agent dropped that story to the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I would have to agree with this, Can hasn't been at his best in a while, he is coming across pretty slow on the pitch compared to the other lads, his shooting needs a lot of work, he was losing balls left right and centre also the other day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

8-10 wrote: »
    Reading a preview of the upcoming MLS season and see that Philadelphia Union have signed the younger brother of one of our players, left back Giliano Wijnaldum

Will be looking out for him this season

Do we know whose brother he is?

When you do compromise your more likely to get duds like Mario and Markovic though with how we operate. I'm not 100% behind Klopp on this one but I do admire him taking control of the revolving door of garbage we engage in with transfers.

Balotelli was a piece of insanity. He wasn't the best we could get or a compromise.
    The only thing I can imagine there was sheer ****ing spite against Rodgers.
    The rumour was him or Eto'o on a free.
    Have you ever heard such a load of bollocks. What were they playing at?:rolleyes:
    The whole summer and that's the best they came up with...

Markovic certainly wasn't a compromise.
    Like Pulisic or what have you, that's not a shrewd short term signing even in theory. It was the same thing Klopp is trying to do. That one just didn't work.
    Not 100% sure if its the right thing but you have to let him do his job his way.

Well I wasn't planning on hunting him down and forcing to sign a winger at gun point.:p

On Can, I like him and think he'll come good, but I'm not arsed about midfield really.

We have decent options already and there's no shortage of good midfielders available.

Good defenders are like unicorn tears at the moment and attackers are always a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Christ it really says something about Markovic, or at least Klopp's opinion of him, that we're crying out for a pacy wing forward right now, actually have one whose loan got cancelled, and are instead just sending him straight to Hull!

If we're not gonna get anyone else, i'd have preferred we just took him back to be honest though. Better to have the option than not imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Still won't stop all the Football Manager lads on here crying 'Spend! Spend! Spend!'

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the stats that Football manager has for players all around the world is remarkably accurate and has been used by actual premier league managers. I wouldn't consider myself a "Football manager lad" and am not quite sure what the correlation is between that and spending is but tbh slagging off the game like some sort of snob only succeeds in showing off your ignorance publicly if you ask me. It will get things wrong if that's what you're clinging onto, but so will any proffesional scout or manager.

• Advertisement

That's the thing with stats.

Stats told us Moreno was our second best player last season behind Coutinho.

Now I ask you was he really?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement