Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This mongo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,801 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Sturridge is hard to let go of, He's best finisher by far.
    We do need to let him go though and buy a proven 30 goal a season striker.

How many proven 30 goal a season strikers can you name? (let alone would be available)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Always the victims

I was wondering where I saw you lately, checked your post history to see you were the Everton fan who's just came out of a coma having been there since the 80's. I was waiting for you to claim only the likes of Nottingham Forest were a match for Everton!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If we punt the FA Cup there is likely to be zero correlation to that making us better in the league. I want us to win the cup. I can't understand anyone wanting us to get knocked out. It's not like it's a choice between doing well in that or the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Always the victims

Pathetic, really pathetic. Using an insult like that, the connotations of which I am sure you are aware of but will act blissfully unaware when brought up on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

5starpool wrote: »
    If we punt the FA Cup there is likely to be zero correlation to that making us better in the league. I want us to win the cup. I can't understand anyone wanting us to get knocked out. It's not like it's a choice between doing well in that or the league.

Play the kids. It's not a death sentence, doesn't cause any further fatigue in the first team and gives the lads some great experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I would take the cup seriously as a win on Saturday you are nearly still guaranteed a week between games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

The league is more important to me than the cup. If we are out of the cup then all our focus is on the league. That's just my opinion. Sure look, if Klopp picks his B team and they win, then by all means keep going. But the players definitely need a break. Give them one this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brady is off to Palace by the looks of it another one that got away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I just rewatched the Shane Long goal there now. Good grief that is a horrendous corner, by the time it reaches the 6 yard box its nearly back on the ground again and Romeu (I think) is practically able to trap the ball.

cX0sjfV.png

Our corners are absolute gash. Any chance we can drill someone on how to find Matip's forehead.

I'm very annoyed by everything I saw tonight and I feel there's a very real possibility we're going to finish January having only beaten lower league team(s).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Y'know, I actually feel really sorry for Sturridge. From his point of view, it must be so immensely frustrating to have lost that much pace. To see options, and want to do things he used to do, but simply can't anymore.

His legs are 10 paces behind his head now. Gone from one of the fastest in the league to distinctly average paced. Our slowest centre forward by a distance now.

I imagine Sturridge will fell frustrated too as the way we are playing now (without pace) there is no space. We need wingers. We only really have one in Mane, and hes gone! ;(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

This time last season, Coutinho was unavailable and the front six players were Henderson, Lucas, Can, Lallana, Milner and Firminio.

We played Stoke in the League Cup Semi-Final at Anfield and lost 0-1. Following on from that game we went out of the FA Cup after a replay with West Ham and lost to Leicester in the league. The results picked up again when Coutinho returned to fitness in mid February.

Should we expect anything to be different this season?

- Firminio has been out of sorts since Coutinho got injured.
    - We have struggled against the teams that the two of them would carve open.
    - In December, we could cope without Coutinho due to the availability of Mane.
    - Mane then went to AFCON.
    - Milner plays at left back so he is unavailable to play in the front three.
    - Moreno is a complete liability and can only be risked if the rest of the defence is settled.
    - Matip's run-in with the Cameroon FA meant he was unavailable.
    - With Klavan and Lovren in central defence, Moreno should not be risked.
    - Clyne is carrying an injury, so Moreno definitely can't be risked.
    - Henderson is playing with an injury which is impacting his performances.
    - Sturridge is a shadow of his former self, possibly because he isn't feeling the love from his manager.

It's almost a perfect storm, a capable understudy for the left back position would make a big difference to the tactical options available to Klopp. Sakho being ostracized has compounded the problem. Accommodating Sturridge in the starting line-up at the expense of the tactical framework should never have been an option. If there's a silver lining to him featuring as Mane's replacement, it's the fact that his performances can leave no doubt in anybody's mind that he deserves to be accommodated in the team.

In effect, the squad has been two players short of being able to field a functional team this month. That isn't going to be addressed in this transfer window so all we can hope for is that the lesson has been learned and won't be repeated next season.

The fact that neither Flanagan nor Markovic were recalled from their loan spells to alleviate the pressure on the squad can only mean they have no future at the club. I don't recall Ojo making it into any squad apart from the FA Cup games against Plymouth which is bizarre considering his emergence was cited as one of the reasons behind the decision to let Ibe leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Brady is off to Palace by the looks of it another one that got away.

Good signing by Palace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Ultimately whether it's Klopp or the club or both but they've tried to do this with a small squad this season and it's falling apart at the seams now because the depth in the squad isn't there. The first team players look completely jaded from having to play every game and the bench is half full of kids. You can forget Sturridge. Not the same player anymore.

We did buy players last Summer but we didn't invest, making an actual profit in transfers and it looks like we're refusing to spend in January. Don't want to hear this bollocks about you can't get the players. Offer enough money for anyone and they'll be sold.

Been crap now since the City game and that was a full month ago.

Just out of curiosity have you ever played the game Football Manager/Championship manager??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Mane is so clearly the most important player, and it was obvious before he left. Not just his pace, but his direction - he pushes people back to give the Lallanas and Coutinhos space to be creative.

It's actually so clear that it's a remarkable oversight that his absence is not replaced in advance of the third week in January.

Augeo wrote: »
    ...... and iirc folks here were adamant no plan b required.

This is just a trough in form. Inevitable it'd happen.... happens every team. How long it'll last is the worry.... along with how much of an overshoot was our peak in form.

Are you literally arguing both sides now? In one page you are practically boasting about how you predicted this would happen as a result of the pressing style implemented by Klopp and the next page you claim it is just a regular dip in form that happens every team??
    What am I missing? :confused:

martyos121 wrote: »
    Feckin overreaction central in here. :rolleyes:
    When does it stop being an overreaction when we've won what 1 in 7 scraping a win against Plymouth? Relegation form at the minute.

Yeah but we are talking about roughly a 1 month period of potentially a 6-7 year stewardship of Klopp. He is right, people are over reacting on here tonight, the first half of the season has been like some sort of amazing drug that alot of us were trying for the first time and now after having it taken away from us alot of us are basically just "wrecking the place" in the middle of a horrible come down when the only thing that will make us happy is more of the same drug. Or so I've read about drugs anyway! ;)

What makes this slump more worrying than this time last year is no European football currently. Many thought we would benefit this season with the perceived lightness in the squad with Europe in mind. Yet here we are again.....

Eh, we did benefit from it imo and we will again before the season is out. Did you miss the first half of the season? Right now we are in the middle of the harshest part of the season schedule wise, a schedule close enough to that epected of teams playing in Europe all season. Problem is that we also lost our most influential attacker and defender for this period also. Looking back, we were always gonna suffer during this period, it has just been a massive shock how much.

mormank wrote: »
    Are you literally arguing both sides now? In one page you are practically boasting about how you predicted this would happen as a result of the pressing style implemented by Klopp and the next page you claim it is just a regular dip in form that happens every team??
    What am I missing? :confused:

Well it's practically inevitable we will hit good form again you'd think. If we don't and continue like this ..... well..... chr1st can't even fathom it TBH

Also it's obvious a plan b would be good and it's likely we are out of form due to tiredness. Also I commented ghat perhaps our peak was an overshoot which we will see if we don't relocate that form.

I take big picture views from all sides, some struggle to deal with that. I'm not arguing any side.

What you're missing isn't for me to say chap.
    mormank wrote: »
    Yeah but we are talking about roughly a 1 month period of potentially a 6-7 year stewardship of Klopp. He is right, people are over reacting on here tonight, the first half of the season has been like some sort of amazing drug that alot of us were trying for the first time and now after having it taken away from us alot of us are basically just "wrecking the place" in the middle of a horrible come down when the only thing that will make us happy is more of the same drug. Or so I've read about drugs anyway! ;)

And than you write that.... so you do see my point after all?
    I was fairly sure we were overachieving during the good spell.... goals were flying in at an unsustainable rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Looks like We are really paying now for our early season high pressing
    Did klopp think we could do it all season
    He is used to a winter break but in England you play more fixtures in winter
    Actually dreading the wolves game now looks a certain 0-0

• Advertisement

We got to the EL final last season without Mane..... there's more to our lack of form than mane being on int duty.

A Tough gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

We got to the EL final last season without Mane..... there's more to our lack of form than mane being on int duty.

A Tough gig.

Said the same last night. Something has crept into the squad. Not sure if it's one toxic player or a combination of things adding up.

Not sure Mane coming back will solve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I imagine Sturridge will fell frustrated too as the way we are playing now (without pace) there is no space. We need wingers. We only really have one in Mane, and hes gone! ;(

As bad as he's been recently. If we were playing with pace he'd be well behind the play.

And he might feel frustrated but he's a large part of the problem, he was one of the ones who were supposed to step up while Mane was gone but he's been rubbish. There was a time when even the thought of his pace would've had defenders but he'd be outrun by Carragher these days, and hasn't got the talent or intelligence to adapt his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Mane is not the philosopher stone that can come in and turn this ****storm into gold.
    Lallana was playing out of his skin earlier in the season, best form of his life and there's no way he was going to keep that up for the year.
    Love Bobby but if he's not central he's not central to our play. Our lack of options means we play him even when he's woefully out of sorts the last month or so (despite those two goals last week)
    Can is like Thatcher at the moment, he's not for turning but is still getting played. Why not drop him and bring Lucas in and move Henderson further forward where his pressing can make up for the absence of a dropped Bobby. Heck Hendo is better higher up.
    Can't do that because he's playing with injuries and Klopp has no faith in Lucas in midfield. Again lack of options crippling us.
    Moreno is a bag nuts but against weaker teams throw him in and then that frees Milner up to create more options in midfield and also give us a bit of pace and more attaching options down the left. Won't be done because Klopp doesn't rate him and probably rightly so. But it means we're stuck playing an inexperienced kid at right back and an experienced midfielder at left back.
    To be honest we might as well not have a bench. Lucas is an auxiliary CB now in Klopp's eyes, Moreno is a seat warmer and he doesn't rate Sturbridge either.
    It's all well and good saying they don't want to bring in players that aren't better than the first 11 but we can get ones that are as good as them or at least better than our inadequate bench.
    Can't see how that would be stunting the growth of our youth players because their not really getting chances to play bar minutes in the FA Cup and bits and bobs elsewhere.
    The squad is light, there's no denying that. And we shouldn't be in the place where Klopp is swung there's nothing out there we can buy because teams won't sell in Jan.
    Should have done more in summer, heck one more signing would have helped.

Having said that, still think we can turn it around and likely his weekend and again Chelsea. Outlooks will be much sunnier then.

I'm hoping next Jan we aren't agitating for signings because our summer was good in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

We had two tactics last night, neither of which suited us:
      Try cross it in but we don't have anyone who will win the ball in the box.
      Pass the ball across the box waiting for someone to take a shot, but we don't have any good at shots from distance either (Coutinho might score some screamers but it's 1/20).

Turtyturd wrote: »
    As bad as he's been recently. If we were playing with pace he'd be well behind the play.

And he might feel frustrated but he's a large part of the problem, he was one of the ones who were supposed to step up while Mane was gone but he's been rubbish. There was a time when even the thought of his pace would've had defenders but he'd be outrun by Carragher these days, and hasn't got the talent or intelligence to adapt his game.

Yet he'll score on England duty and at his next club too, time will tell ;)

He's not really a large part of the problem, he's been a bit part player early in the season and doesn't suit Klopp's style (like the rest of the squad for the last month or so).

there's a large problem alright but it's not Sturridge

It's getting embarrassing now with the excuses
    People were blaming coutinho's absence now it's mane
    Every club go through injuries
    We are just playing crap we have fell off a cliff
    In the space of a few days the title looks as far away as ever
    A trip to Wembley now snuffed out
    Hopefully a win against Chelsea can kick us on to a top 4
    If we don't qualify for the top4 the season will only be described as disastrous

It's getting embarrassing now with the excuses

Human nature :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4158246/Jurgen-Klopp-slams-Martin-Atkinson-EFL-Cup-defeat.html

'Maybe it's not interesting and I won't look for excuses but it is really hard to accept.
    'In one of the biggest games against Man United (a fortnight ago) he (Antonio Valencia) was two or three yards offside (for Zlatan Ibrahimovic's equaliser) and no one really speaks about it.
    'We've had a lot of offside goals against us which shouldn't have been allowed and then a handball.'

'As a coach it is very important for me to know what the performance is like and I thought we deserved to win the game'

Interesting article, Klopp seems a bit rattled, Utd match is water under the bridge now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Hopefully a win against Chelsea can kick us on to a top 4
    If we don't qualify for the top4 the season will only be described as disastrous

We will probably beat Chelsea as the players tend to peak against the good teams. But struggle against the crap in the league which is plenty.
    Pitiful excuses by Klopp the referee didn't cough up 9,10 good goalscoring chances, we did & we don't look like scoring now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Has everyone who thinks Mane is the antidote to all that ails us at the moment forgotten that he was actually fairly poor the few weeks before he left? Do you just presume the amazing Mane of the first few weeks of the season will show up and everything will be grand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Ooby dooby ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Milkers wrote: »
    Has everyone who thinks Mane is the antidote to all that ails us at the moment forgotten that he was actually fairly poor the few weeks before he left? Do you just presume the amazing Mane of the first few weeks of the season will show up and everything will be grand?

Look, mate, there's no place for realism in this thread.

Let us cover our eyes and scream into the void in peace.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Play the kids. It's not a death sentence, doesn't cause any further fatigue in the first team and gives the lads some great experience.

I would be the opposite.

Play the full team.

This team needs a win for confidence and rhythm.

I don't by this fatigue excuse as they haven't played that many games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Only good thing about last night it leaves no fixture to be rearranged.

Feb is looking a bit easier on the schedule going from 9 to at most 4 if they win on Saturday, Mane should be back for the Spurs game at the latest.

Hull City v Liverpool Sat 4 Feb 15:00
    Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur Sat 11 Feb 17:30
    FA Cup 5th Round Sat 18 Feb????????????
    Leicester City v Liverpool Mon 27 Feb 20:00

.........9 to at most 4 if they win on Saturday................

9? How would winning last night have mad Feb that conjested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Only good thing about last night it leaves no fixture to be rearranged.

Feb is looking a bit easier on the schedule going from 9 to at most 4 if they win on Saturday, Mane should be back for the Spurs game at the latest.

Hull City v Liverpool Sat 4 Feb 15:00
    Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur Sat 11 Feb 17:30
    FA Cup 5th Round Sat 18 Feb????????????
    Leicester City v Liverpool Mon 27 Feb 20:00

Leicester play cl the midweek before our game its a shame that fixture was switched to a Mon night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

9? How would winning last night have mad Feb that conjested?

Liverpool will have played 9 games in Jan, winning last night would have moved the Leicester game to later in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The squad needs bodies and not kids. We have played a lot lately, the players are leggy and Klopps style of play is unforgiving. No intensity, no pressing, so we aren't creating any space. Klopp might have to settle for his 2nd or 3rd choice of player in this window as we desperately need something. A career midfielder playing LB for the season sums up the short comings of the squad.

Still plenty of football to go, its not all doom and gloom, but we need to get out of this slump fast. The number of injuries to key players at various times and the absence of Mane has upset the rhythm of the team, confidence is shot, its up to Klopp to get them going again.

Klopp has a dilemma now, play the obviously jaded first XI against Wolves or give them a break, change the side and risk getting knocked out of the FA cup aswell as losing 3 home games in a row.

The huge silver lining here is that Klopp can now use this period as serious food for thought to plan for next season and CL or EL.

The huge silver lining here is that Klopp can now use this period as serious food for thought to plan for next season and CL or EL.

Remember people saying this last year

• Advertisement

Well we are more likely to get Top4 this season now than we were this time last year so we are in a better position I feel............ work to be done no doubt but that's football.

Its been a really poor month but I've total faith it will turn around. The team have lacked a bit of spark and a bit of energy its not a terminal thing the evidence from 2016 will tell you that it will return. Klopp has made a couple of mistakes but he is a clever man and will rectify it. The squad is a bit light but when we are back in Europe next year he will increase it accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Imagine mane walking in the door in a couple of weeks saying "wtf lads wtf"

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

It's the age old problem for Liverpool; a decent starting 11, a mediocre everything else. When the bench is full of players that aren't good enough to start on their own right then the club won't win trophies.

Happened to Houlier, Rafa and Rodgers.

There has to be a better plan in place for buying decent players and being prepared for injuries. You cant say, "we want this really good player but the club won't sell him" and expect people to buy it.

Get better scouts in place, gamble.

Liverpool were in a good position to challenge for the league a number of times but couldn't get it because they were was no improvement when it was desperately required. It's happened again this year. Madness absolute madness.

Liverpool fans are fickle and football fans in general, but I'm shocked at the people I have met this morning saying that Klopp needs to go. The first sign of trouble and we should change the manager? Ridiculous!

He is the reason we are in the Top 4 so far, he has given us ever chance of finishing there too. I mostly disappointed with his in game management, his use of subs drives me mad.

brevity wrote: »
    It's the age old problem for Liverpool; a decent starting 11, a mediocre everything else. When the bench is full of players that aren't good enough to start on their own right then the club won't win trophies.

Happened to Houlier, Rafa and Rodgers.

There has to be a better plan in place for buying decent players and being prepared for injuries. You cant say, "we want this really good player but the club won't sell him" and expect people to buy it.

Get better scouts in place, gamble.

Liverpool were in a good position to challenge for the league a number of times but couldn't get it because they were was no improvement when it was desperately required. It's happened again this year. Madness absolute madness.

This,

The club and its lackys like Paul Joyce and James Pearce keep putting out stories that we cant get X player because the club won't sell. The easy way around that is making them an offer they can't refuse but we seem to be obsessed with value and that has filtered down to the fans too.

rob316 wrote: »
    Liverpool fans are fickle and football fans in general, but I'm shocked at the people I have met this morning saying that Klopp needs to go. The first sign of trouble and we should change the manager? Ridiculous!

He is the reason we are in the Top 4 so far, he has given us ever chance of finishing there too. I mostly disappointed with his in game management, his use of subs drives me mad.

Anyone that says klopp needs to go needs their head examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

personally i wouldn't panic over last nights result, it's a mickey mouse cup and everybody knows it! We are obviously missing a few players as well as good subs. 2 x defense, another winger, top class midfielder. Sorry but Henderson needs to go, work horse but little else.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

We are too predictable. Keeper to centre half, centre half to Henderson, Henderson to Lovrne, Lovren to Milner. Back to Henderson. Back to Milner. Try to squeeze through to Couthino. Rinse. Repeat.
    All while Sturridge is doing SFA.

Sturridge has had a run of games now and done nothing for us except dive, complain, not run, lack of movement, tame shots.
    I championed Origi as the solution before, but he has made zero progress this season.
    Sell both and put the money and salary into 1 really good player who is not potential and not someone trying to reclaim form.

Can needs to learn how to pass the ball forward.....actually we need a really good CM and let Can go to Juve or wherever he wants to go.
    We could probably upgrade Henderson while we are at it.

I also think that it's time to bring Sahko back into the first team ahead of Lovren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

There has been a lot of Stick for Sturridge on here recently and I felt most of it was unfair and unfounded . On his day he is as good a finisher as there is in the league and I felt if Klopp could work with him to fit into his system we are unlikely to be able to buy better.As such I was of the opinion that selling him util we have exhausted every way to make it work was foolish .

This morning though I am letting my emotions take over a little and we just need shot of him at the club , He had a bad night in front of goal last night and while all strikers have had those spells you would hope that this would frustrate and inspire the Forward to work harder.
    I really got the feeling watching last night that he could not care less .This is as much a job for him as a factory worker putting in a shift , he did not look upset and I feel he forgot about it before he opened his door home for the evening.
    His looking exasperated at everyone around him when he made a mistake or a pass did not go where he wanted makes me feel he has not bought in to the Klopp vision or possible even the ethos of teamwork.

This is nearly all feeling and intuition and not facts and usually I hate people putting words and reasons against a player that they have no proof for but I think i passed my point of no return with him , Let him go annoy some other clubs fans.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement