Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

sword1 wrote: »
    Speed is over rated, no Chelsea player on that table yet they top the one that matters

Willian, Hazard and Moses are all very quick, though. Costa is no slouch either, plus has so much to his game leading the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So Shane Long is the new saviour and it not that other Irish lad. I see a theme developing. Who's next? Shane Colemen? Why not eh?

Wolves at 12.30 tomorrow lest anyone has forgotten. Who would you pick and who will Klopp start?

If all fit I think

Karius
    Clyne---Matip--Klavan--Moreno
    Can
    Ejaria----Wiji
    Ojo----Sturridge---Coutinho

edit Doh!

Sturridge being given the chance to atone for Soton. Matip and Couts need the match time and obviously it would be a good thing to withdraw them at an hour, certainly Coutinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Clyne still not fit and Lallana is a doubt for tomorrow according to Joyce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

So Shane Long is the new saviour and it not that other Irish lad. I see a theme developing. Who's next? Shane Colemen? Why not eh?

Wolves at 12.30 tomorrow lest anyone has forgotten. Who would you pick and who will Klopp start?

If all fit I think

Karius
    Can
    Ejaria---Wiji
    Ojo
    Coutinho
    Origi
    Sturridge

Sturridge being given the chance to atone for Soton. Matip and Couts need the match time and obviously it would be a good thing to withdraw them at an hour, certainly Coutinho.

Even though playing with Sturridge is like playing with 10, I doubt they'll let us play with 12.

And what's up with Lallana, niggling embarrassment from Wednesday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

If all fit I think

Karius
    Can
    Ejaria---Wiji
    Ojo
    Coutinho
    Origi
    Sturridge

I'd be leaving out anyone who is even remotely a fitness concern - Lallana, Clyne, etc.

Naturally, we want to win this and advance in the cup but you'd be hopeful that our second string can do that.

For me...

Karius
    Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Gomez, Moreno
    Ejaria - Henderson - Wijnaldum
    Ojo - Sturridge - Coutinho

Let's Matip, Gomez, Coutinho build fitness, rests Can, makes sure there's no worries about Milner, Lallana, Clyne, etc and *hopefully* heralds the return of the goal scoring Daniel Sturridge.

Now I know that last one is never going to happen, but we don't have many players up there and, as bad as he has been, I still think he has been slightly better than Origi lately.

So either Sturridge or Firmino up top for me.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    And what's up with Lallana, niggling embarrassment from Wednesday?

Stitches.

I wonder who he was snitching on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Absolutely, Coleman is top class! Sign him up.

Stitches.

I wonder who he was snitching on.

Completely forgot about the gash on his leg.

• Advertisement

Completely forgot about the gash on his leg.

I bet you're feeling embarrassed-smiley-lemon-demon-1237129_200_200.jpg now aren't you? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

"You look at both benches and when you see Shane Long coming on you say 'that's better than what Liverpool have on the bench'."

That's from Carra, I'm sure he'd be saying the exact same thing if we had Long and they had Origi.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

sword1 wrote: »
    Speed is over rated, no Chelsea player on that table yet they top the one that matters

Speed is massively important in very good football teams that table only deals with top speed. It doesn't really properly judge "pace" which is really a player's acceleration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Even though playing with Sturridge is like playing with 10, I doubt they'll let us play with 12.

Toby sharing the good ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

murpho999 wrote: »
    A lot of supporters seems to believe that FSG have been heroic knights in shining armour rescuing the club by buying it and then afterwards paying off its debts. The truth is that they the price they paid included the debt pay off and it was a very shrewd business decision as the value of the club has increased massively wit he new TV deals.

They're perfectly entitled to do well out of it, what's wrong with that?

Some supporters thinking of them as white knights is irrelevent. Obviously they're wrong - of course FSG are in this for business reasons. I'm simply arguing the actual merits of what they've done VS what they could have done.

You seem to be suggesting everyone would have done the same as they have and the club would be at least as well off if a different buyer had come in. I'm arguing that that's absolutely not true.

Yes, the price they paid included the debt pay-off - but they had absolutely no responsibility to pay off that debt. They could have leveraged the buyout on the club, instead of taking on the cost themselves. Many other buyers would have done otherwise, and had the club continue with the burden of debt (as H&G and countless other owners had things arranged). One would also always expect the club to bare the burden of new building costs, but once again Liverpool have managed to avoid any additional interest payments, as the stadium upgrade was majoratively built with a massive interest free loan from FSG.

And a very important point to note is that even with the club doing well financially now - they've never taken money out of it. They've never even so much as taken dividends, which is entirely their right as shareholders. You won't find that in most businesses.

In short, of course their long term goal is profit, but they've behaved in a manner which is about as good as one can hope from an owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Just about this thread......

I'd noticed for weeks how quiet it's been. Pool were in decent shape, a few frustrating draws but, in general, going well.

And then......defeat against Swansea followed by another mediocre performance against Southampton and, **** me, this place is a swirling torrent of conspiracy theorists, ne'er-do-wells, offspring of Raymond Verheijen, Diet-Michael Coxes etc.

It's just the sheer volume of posts here once there's been a defeat or, heaven forbid, a couple of setbacks is pretty remarkable given that there's simply not a corresponding swell of goodwill and bonhomie following a few wins. Fact is that folk love to - and are more adept at - piss and moan once things are starting to look grim.

Not that I'm remotely suggesting who should post or when but, **** it, if you're going to come and vent, well, it'd be equally supportive to log on and give praise where it's due. I love Klopp. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Karma25

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    They're perfectly entitled to do well out of it, what's wrong with that?

Some supporters thinking of them as white knights is irrelevent. Obviously they're wrong - of course FSG are in this for business reasons. I'm simply arguing the actual merits of what they've done VS what they could have done.

You seem to be suggesting everyone would have done the same as they have and the club would be at least as well off if a different buyer had come in. I'm arguing that that's absolutely not true.

Yes, the price they paid included the debt pay-off - but they had absolutely no responsibility to pay off that debt. They could have leveraged the buyout on the club, instead of taking on the cost themselves. Many other buyers would have done otherwise, and had the club continue with the burden of debt (as H&G and countless other owners had things arranged). One would also always expect the club to bare the burden of new building costs, but once again Liverpool have managed to avoid any additional interest payments, as the stadium upgrade was majoratively built with a massive interest free loan from FSG.

And a very important point to note is that even with the club doing well financially now - they've never taken money out of it. They've never even so much as taken dividends, which is entirely their right as shareholders. You won't find that in most businesses.

In short, of course their long term goal is profit, but they've behaved in a manner which is about as good as one can hope from an owner.

Think this video sums it up pretty well how much FSG have helped us. On the same channel, they show the fall of Portsmouth and it just shows how a bad owner can run a club to the ground.

In the video it says we have lost between 85 and 115 million in CL revenue. I think personally if FSG were told by Klopp we wont make top 4 without such and such a player they would be right in for said player.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    He's spot on in everything he says. Football has become more corporate nowadays. I HATE to see what the main stand has become with empty gaps appearing before half time. You see it the last day on TV, you look behind carragher and Le Tissier and half the stand is missing at half time. And most of them arent back till 5 minutes into the second half. The atmosphere has become very quiet in Anfield over the years and yes it is a sign of the times unfortunately. People seem afraid to sing at games now, nearly in fear of upsetting the quiet people around them !! Sure most of the crowd nowadays dont even know YNWA!!, the amount of times I've heard people cheering and sitting down when they think the song is over, only for the last verse to come in...its like oh yeah, forgot about part! Its a pet hate so sorry for the rant. We've accused The emirates, ethiad, stamford bridge, Old Trafford etc of being libraries but were going down the same way. Klopp went from the yellow wall in dortmund to a docile crowd not waking up till 1:30pm last saturday v swansea. The sooner the powers that be figure out how to bring back safe standing the better. They have to give football back to the people/fans or its going to lose its soul.

When the stadium expansion was announced I really hoped the club would have a section of 5,000 seats available for 14-22 year olds for £5 or £10 a ticket. Only available to people living in Merseyside with their primary job being to sing from start to finish. There is more than enough money in football to allow this type of concession.

I think it's madness to ignore the next generation and soon (if not already) the atmosphere at matches will be non existent. The club belongs to the locals but they are priced out of it. Very shortsighted behaviour by our owners.

Hopefully one day I can overcome my addiction to LFC and let them eat themselves.

I also think that the players should be paying for 10-30 coaches that depart from Anfield every other week for away matches. Would cost them pennies from their salary. Would generate a bit more of a connection with the fans too and encourage more support during lean times on the pitch. They could even just buy a company and allow the fleet of buses to cover costs on non match days.

The greed in soccer is mind blowing and I just don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Is the Wolves game on the tellybox tomorrow?

Is the Wolves game on the tellybox tomorrow?

BT 2 are showing it.

Does anyone think if Markovic has a good few months at Hull he still has a chance at Liverpool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Does anyone think if Markovic has a good few months at Hull he still has a chance at Liverpool?

He'd have to pull up some serious trees over there id say.

The fact that we're crying out for what he offers, literally right now, and didn't bring him back speaks volumes of the club/Klopps opinion of him.

Massive shame, but there it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Doubt it.

They're after flogging their best player to West Ham so there's a place in the team for him if he has the appetite - and I'm not sure that he does. I wish him the best though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Liverpool have to beat Wolves.

As for the Anfield atmosphere, why dont they have a designated singing section in the Kop?

FSG should take a page out of Celtics book, they have a safe standing section for their noisey fans which makes the atmosphere better.

Im surprised Klopp has not put forward ideas to get the crowd excitied because lately its been very flat at times.

Official standing areas are illegal in England are they not?

mikeym wrote: »
    Liverpool have to beat Wolves.

As for the Anfield atmosphere, why dont they have a designated singing section in the Kop?

FSG should take a page out of Celtics book, they have a safe standing section for their noisey fans which makes the atmosphere better.

Im surprised Klopp has not put forward ideas to get the crowd excitied because lately its been very flat at times.

Christ, that's scarcely his job. Support your bloody team, that's why you go surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭doc_17

FSG did dig the club out of a hole. But because it was in such a precarious position they probably bought for a price that reflected that. 5 years out of 6 we have missed out on CL football disputes that being their aim. Making money in windows won't change that anytime soon.

FSG are solid owners but barring a miracle, or heavy investment, it's hard to see how we can go from an odd CL qualification challenge to the next level. Especially when those around are very forceful and competitive in the transfer market.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Official standing areas are illegal in England are they not?

They are, plus Liverpool will probably be the last club to get one if they are ever legalised. It's regrettable but understandable too for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

There was a guy from Celtic talking about the safe standing up there on The Anfield Wrap recently. It's worth seeking out. Very interesting.

It's actually a lot safer than what goes on in The Kop these days with huge amounts of people standing up in areas that aren't designed for it.

There was a guy from Celtic talking about the safe standing up there on The Anfield Wrap recently. It's worth seeking out. Very interesting.

It's actually a lot safer than what goes on in The Kop these days with huge amounts of people standing up in areas that aren't designed for it.

I was over at the City match recently and we stood for the entire 90 minutes. They used to come and tell you to sit down but they've clearly given up on that. What's poor on the stewards' part is that there were two lads standing in the aisle with no allocated seats and they stood there for the duration of the match.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    I was over at the City match recently and we stood for the entire 90 minutes. They used to come and tell you to sit down but they've clearly given up on that. What's poor on the stewards' part is that there were two lads standing in the aisle with no allocated seats and they stood there for the duration of the match.

I was in it for the first time last week and for the first 5 minutes after kick off in each half they let the crowd stand before stewards came around and sat people down. But once Bobby scored the equaliser everyone was standing til the end, I thought it was a deliberate thing to try and get some support from the crowd because there's a noticeable difference in the noise levels when the crowd are standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

There'll still be something to play for regardless what happens today, but in terms of really going for something our season is pretty much over if we can't beat Wolves.

I think we need to put as much as we can into it - as strong a side as we have available.

Karius
    TAA-Matip-Lovren-Moreno
    Hendo-Wij
    Can
    Origi--Bob--Coutinho

I think Milner is wrecked and Lallana and Clyne might be injured. If not I'd start them all too and see where the squad's at on Tuesday for Chelsea.

It doesn't really matter what we do in that game. We need to not lose for confidence's sake but winning won't change much for us.
    For the league, we need to be getting 80+% of the "easy" points available from now to the end of the season and not lose to our rivals.

3 pts against Chelsea brings us 3pts closer to finishing top4.

IMO wolves game matters little

This is without question a true fact even in 2017 :D

That said a win would just be nice as I've nearly forgotten what that feels like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

This is without question a true fact even in 2017 :D

That said a win would just be nice as I've nearly forgotten what that feels like.

The Chelsea match, taken in isolation, will certainly be the more important match when looking at the season as a whole. But we're in a rut right now, and losing to Wolves will only deepen it, and by extension make the Tuesday all the harder. Badly need a convincing performance and result today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I'd swap a loss today for a win v Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Starting XI vs Wolves: Karius; Randall, Gomez, Klavan, Moreno; Lucas; Woodburn, Wijnaldum, Ejaria, Firmino; Origi

Hopefully its Woodie as a number 10 in a diamond

Karius;
    Randall, Gomez, Klavan, Moreno;
    Lucas;
    Ejaria--Wijnaldum
    Woodburn,
    Firmino--Origi

Mignolet, Milner, Stewart, Can, Coutinho, Wilson, Sturridge

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Hopefully firmino isn't starting due to their being an issue with him starting Tuesday because of that court case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Augeo wrote: »
    3 pts against Chelsea brings us 3pts closer to finishing top4.

IMO wolves game matters little

IMO playing a strong team and going into Chelsea on the back of a win against Wolves would be far better us then any benefits from resting already out of form players against wolves. We have to stop the rot , cup game or not . Who knows maybe we'll play ourselves into a bit of form for the Chelsea game.

No Sturridge, good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

No Sturridge, good stuff.

I hope it doesn't mean he'll be playing against Chelsea.

I hope it doesn't mean he'll be playing against Chelsea.

Forgot about Firmino's court case :(.

Watching 3 pundits freezing there ass off on the side of the pitch is sh1t entertainment and build up go in the studio lads.

Gerrard needs to either work for the club or be a pundit he can't do both I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Gerrard needs to either work for the club or be a pundit he can't do both I think.

Does he not start with the club on the 1st so may need to fulfill media contracts until then

I think Randall is the only player I'd rather see Flanagan starting ahead of.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

So many players happy to pass the ball backwards or sideways and give somebody else responsibility. This is a major problem with the 1st choice team as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Moreno is playing really well.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Well if we lose this, then given some people's logic for wanting to be out of the cup, it guarantees we'll get top 4 as I understand it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement