Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Herrera said they did not know how they did not win as West Ham only had the ball for one minute:eek: Makes our possession stats look sh1te

Wonder if Phil Neville finds that disrespectful?

Although Herrera was probably rolling around on the ground for the majority of the time West Ham had the ball, as he is known to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The funniest part is they are over in United thread discussing about signing griezmann!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Wonder if Phil Neville finds that disrespectful?

fZp7tL.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I love the shifting goalposts....turns out it was the players fault all along.

I simply don't care, I am enjoying every week.

I just hope they give everyone involved with that club huge contract extensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

how could any self respecting pool fan ignore utd's demise? waited long enough for it like..

"ba da ba ba ba"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Aaaaaaaaanyway, just seen a video clip of Dean Saunders on BBC saying that Liverpool should give Gerrard a contract till the end of the season because "He's better than the whole of their midfield players right now."

The BBC truly have a revolving cast of inebriated lunatics in their ranks.

And in case you don't believe me.......
    https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/802820884633264128

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

mosstin wrote: »
    Aaaaaaaaanyway, just seen a video clip of Dean Saunders on BBC saying that Liverpool should give Gerrard a contract till the end of the season because "He's better than the whole of their midfield players right now."

Dean Saunders needs to check himself into rehab, pronto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

The tv channels just employ all these eejits to get a reaction. We're taking about it so they win. Lawro,Phil Neville,Merson,Savage etc etc...they all have one thing in common...they're all complete eejits.

Jaysus, some ex footballers shouldn't be allowed to speak in public

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

To be fair, Saunders was never the sharpest tool in the box, but that's hilarious.

Even Gerrard knows he can't remotely play at a PL level, let alone the level required for Liverpool.

Sure it wasn't French and Saunders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

The tv channels just employ all these eejits to get a reaction. We're taking about it so they win. Lawro,Phil Neville,Merson,Savage etc etc...they all have one thing in common...they're all complete eejits.

This might not read very well but I'd disagree with including Phil Neville in that list. I think he is an articulate and intelligent pundit who has opinions worth listening to. I know what he said about Klopps comments yesterday will naturally rub some of us up the wrong way but Klopp gave him a justifiable reason for making those comments. Klopp didn't need to say what he said. He might have been frustrated by Sunderlands ultra defensive approach but IMHO he'd have been better off saying that our wonderful attacking play put them on the back foot and we have to find a way to deal with it. We shouldn't be blaming teams for trying to protect their goal when we have such a potent and threatening attack.

Teams being defensive is a compliment to us and to blame another manager for trying to get a draw against us at Anfield isn't disrespectful in my book but I can see how it can be viewed as same.

We all remember Rafa setting teams up to be difficult to beat and when the opposing manager slagged us off for same we all felt they were being disrespectful.

Same same but different. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is why players like Gerrard are such a potential hazard and why Klopp will need to keep him in his box and the media a mile away.

The fourth estate is full of mindless cheerleaders for their famous friends and who's incessant arse-licking could become a corrosive distraction for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Failed managers like Saunders advising the likes of Klopp on who to play is comical really but they are never called out on it by the presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This might not read very well but I'd disagree with including Phil Neville in that list. I think he is an articulate and intelligent pundit who has opinions worth listening to. I know what he said about Klopps comments yesterday will naturally rub some of us up the wrong way but Klopp gave him a justifiable reason for making those comments. Klopp didn't need to say what he said. He might have been frustrated by Sunderlands ultra defensive approach but IMHO he'd have been better off saying that our wonderful attacking play put them on the back foot and we have to find a way to deal with it. We shouldn't be blaming teams for trying to protect their goal when we have such a potent and threatening attack.

Teams being defensive is a compliment to us and to blame another manager for trying to get a draw against us at Anfield isn't disrespectful in my book but I can see how it can be viewed as same.

We all remember Rafa setting teams up to be difficult to beat and when the opposing manager slagged us off for same we all felt they were being disrespectful.

I got as far as intelligent and articulate. Phil neville is neither. An absolute bore to listen to and has the same cardboard cut out analysis of every other bbc pundit. Him and Danny Murphy are brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Didn't see it mentioned in here, but after 6 months in charge of Celtic this fella has won his first trophy with them:

OjfNVc0.png

eigrod wrote: »
    Failed managers like Saunders advising the likes of Klopp on who to play is comical really but they are never called out on it by the presenter.
    So better to listen to players like Rednapp, Hansen, Carragher etc who have never had the balls to even attempt to manage a team???

By your standards only proven PL managers are entitled to comment on current PL managers like Klopp? Apart from Souness (whose managerial credentials I'd seriously question) who do think has the credentials to be a pundit? Big Sam? Roy Hodgson? Steve McLaren?

This is why players like Gerrard are such a potential hazard and why Klopp will need to keep him in his box and the media a mile away.

The fourth estate is full of mindless cheerleaders for their famous friends and who's incessant arse-licking could become a corrosive distraction for everyone.

There's already enough of these cheer leaders crawling out of the woodwork for a certain back up striker, could do without a bunch for Gerrard too alright.

So better to listen to players like Rednapp, Hansen, Carragher etc who have never had the balls to even attempt to manage a team???

By your standards only proven PL managers are entitled to comment on current PL managers like Klopp? Apart from Souness (whose managerial credentials I'd seriously question) who do think has the credentials to be a pundit? Big Sam? Roy Hodgson? Steve McLaren?

I doubt Carra or Hansen would suggest Gerrard playing again for Liverpool tbf.

I don't even think Redknapp is that stupid!

Any half wit knows Gerrard wouldnt get near the team. Sure he knows it himself. That's why he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

mormank wrote: »
    Oh yeah sure, after almost 30 years of nothing but arrogance and smugness mixed with sarcasm and insults from their fans now that they are doing poorly and we are doing well I'm just gonna ignore them! :rolleyes:

I'm not going for sainthood or anything so why the hell would I do that?

My only point is that they want the reaction of us talking about them. I'm not recommending it because I want anyone to be a saint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Punditry can take many forms. Saunders reached a very high standard as a player and should stick to analysing the games themselves. However, advising current managers having failed at it himself is irritating.

And to answer your question, I'd be happy enough to have no post-match punditry. Most of them are only worth listening to for the comic value, such as Saunders in this instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

BBC actually pay those two lol

Umaro wrote: »
    Didn't see it mentioned in here, but after 6 months in charge of Celtic this fella has won his first trophy with them:

OjfNVc0.png

Fair play to him. He is better than there but it's a handy number to pick up a few trophies with no major expectations. Look forward to seeing where he goes next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

MD1990 wrote: »
    BBC actually pay those two lol

Should bring John Barnes back as well while they are at it.

Truly shocking punditry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

At least he can wrap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

At least he can wrap.

It nearly Xmas everyone needs to be able to wrap

murpho999 wrote: »
    Should bring John Barnes back as well while they are at it.

Truly shocking punditry.

Keown saying Stevie could play left back or right back. What's he smoking? Stevie's legs are gone, Stevie knows it and the whole world knows it, apart from Keown and Saunders apparently.

It's embarrassing punditry, no doubt. Saunders saying a 36 year old Stevie is currently better than Hendo, Gigi or Can. Someone should test him for alcohol and drug abuse, particularly mushrooms or LSD. Either that or it's actually April 1st and I've had more beer at Xmas than normal!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

MOTD
    Baby C1
    Will be good to see Jose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Same same but different. wink.png

Aye,you're probably right. I shouldn't have lumped Phil Neville in with that lot. At least he's able to put a sentence together unlike Merson and Savage. I imagine Savage's house is plastered in Post-its with "Breathe In" and "Breathe Out" written on them.

Actually no...he wouldn't be able to spell "breathe",would he?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

MOTD
    Baby C1
    Will be good to see Jose

I'd say there is a fair chance you won't get to see him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

January will be an interesting window now. Klopp could surprise us with a epic loan deal to help ease pain of losing Coutinho . Do we need back up in defence , an itchy bee could of stung us more than once on Saturday, Lucas only back up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I know what he said about Klopps comments yesterday will naturally rub some of us up the wrong way but Klopp gave him a justifiable reason for making those comments.He might have been frustrated by Sunderlands ultra defensive approach but IMHO he'd have been better off saying that our wonderful attacking play put them on the back foot and we have to find a way to deal with it. We shouldn't be blaming teams for trying to protect their goal when we have such a potent and threatening attack.

Thats what he basically said though. Neville of course twisted the badness out of it like with anything Liverpool related and were not justified at all. He's an absolute bore when it comes to Liverpool. His bias is so off putting. Yea theres bias everywhere but he is obsessed.....You cant take anything he says about Liverpool seriously...
    Klopp wrote:
    I'm not sure I've ever played against a more defensive team than today.

Sunderland always play a defensive style and that is OK. We forced them to be that. But we had our moments, had our chances, we stayed cool, stayed concentrated.

I bet he hasnt seen Gerrard play in 3 years.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Knex. wrote: »
    To be fair, Saunders was never the sharpest tool in the box, but that's hilarious.

Even Gerrard knows he can't remotely play at a PL level, let alone the level required for Liverpool.

Some of them aren't too bad but,

Jermaine Jenas

Has he ever said anything interesting ever.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Thats what he basically said though. Neville of course twisted the badness out of it like with anything Liverpool related and were not justified at all. He's an absolute bore when it comes to Liverpool. His bias is so off putting. Yea theres bias everywhere but he is obsessed.....You cant take anything he says about Liverpool seriously...
    Including his compliments about Stevie being a great player and the only Liverpool player he wished he could have convinced to play for United? Not bad for a guy with apparent bias.

Klopp didn't need to say Sunderland were the most defensive team he's ever played against. We won the game. What was to be gained by insulting them? If he wanted to have a go at a defensive team at least use it to get a psychological dig at a(n ex) rival like United rather than a perennial relegation side like Sunderland. Pointless counter productive comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I don't think its insulting to say a defensive team played defensively. Everyone seemed to take offence to it on MOTD though.

I don't think its insulting to say a defensive team played defensively.

That's not what he said though is it? He said they were the most defensive team he "has ever played against" which is quite something coming from a buy who has 30 years professional experience in the game.

No need for it and a pointless self defeating comment.

Displaying frustration like that will only encourage others to do the same (not like they won't already) but his comment only confirms how much such a defensive strategy frustrates Klopp and by extension the team. You should never confirm to opponents what gets under your skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

He basically did say the above about Southampton, if it was him he wouldn't take any chances against us.

But he's allowed to say if he thinks a team is set up to defend, defend, defend. I'd need to read the whole interview before judging as its probably journos making a talking point.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Including his compliments about Stevie being a great player and the only Liverpool player he wished he could have convinced to play for United? Not bad for a guy with apparent bias.

Klopp didn't need to say Sunderland were the most defensive team he's ever played against. We won the game. What was to be gained by insulting them? If he wanted to have a go at a defensive team at least use it to get a psychological dig at a(n ex) rival like United rather than a perennial relegation side like Sunderland. Pointless counter productive comment.

Apparent? Are you saying he isn't biased?

If you call those comments disrespectful you are most certainly stretching to see the badness in it.

I find it bizarre you would back that view up but to each their own.

• Advertisement

I don't think its insulting to say a defensive team played defensively. Everyone seemed to take offence to it on MOTD though.

Some people are too precious.......as I said before when Origi scored there was 10 Sunderland players in the box. 10 of them. Klopp is allowed to say a team that defended the way they did was very defensive, possibly the most defensive he ever faced. He also said we made them play that way and it was ok.

If you take offence at that then you musn't have much to be worrying about in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's not what he said though is it? He said they were the most defensive team he "has ever played against" which is quite something coming from a buy who has 30 years professional experience in the game.

Displaying frustration like that will only encourage others to do the same (not like they won't already) but his comment only confirms how much such a defensive strategy frustrates Klopp and by extension the team. You should never confirm to opponents what gets under your skin.

Did you watch the video? Didn't look at all frustrated by it - his very next words are "and that's fine". He goes on to say Pool made them play that way, did what they needed to do to create and take their chances. Rather than frustrated and insulting, he seemed much more satisfied and pragmatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Klopp's English is great but I'm be wary about reading too much into what he says, sometimes.
    Actually to be honest, I'd have reservations about reading too much into what any manager says.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Klopp's English is great but I'm be wary about reading too much into what he says, sometimes.
    Actually to be honest, I'd have reservations about reading too much into what any manager says.

True. I think videos of interviews are so much better than transcripts too... the tone they use and their general mood reveal much more than the words they say.

I'd say it's fairly obvious to less talented and capable teams that going ultra defensive frustrates the more talented and attacking sides.
    It's not like it's a football secret that when teams goes up against more formidable opponents they know that their best bet is to obfuscate and irritate their opponents by going ultra defensive and cynical.
    I know when I'm playing any fighting games like Street Fighter Turbo against my younger brother, I go defensive and spam sonic booms or jump around with Chung Li.
    The jist of my rambled post is, teams don't need Klopp to tell them that being ultra defensive irratates him and his team.
    They all ready know because football.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    True. I think videos of interviews are so much better than transcripts too... the tone they use and their general mood reveal much more than the words they say.

Unless they use emoticons in the transcript of course. Ah don't mind me being facetious but yes, it's foolish to focus just on the words and especially a few words in isolation, as context is important.

Anyway, I'm delighted Klopp may have insulted Sunderland. It's managed by Moyes (ex-toffee and Utd manage), it's a Utd retirement club/unwanted youth players association and it's the local rival of Benitz' Newcastle.
    Also they're fairly crap, no offence paully.

• Advertisement

Unless they use emoticons in the transcript of course. Ah don't mind me being facetious but yes, it's foolish to focus just on the words and especially a few words in isolation, as context is important.

Anyway, I'm delighted Klopp may have insulted Sunderland. It's managed by Moyes (ex-toffee and Utd manage), it's a Utd retirement club/unwanted youth players association and it's the local rival of Benitz' Newcastle.
    Also they're fairly crap, no offence paully.

Especially when the rags have a tendency to set their own context and pick and choose the quotes they can use to twist into their own narrative.

If you write a piece talking about Klopp pouring scorn on Sunderland, and how disrespectful he was etc, and then include that quote, the reader will automatically imagine it said in a very different tone to the reality. And then this 'take' on events is brought up to the other party in their next interview (asking Moyes for a rebuttal to Klopps insulting remarks, for instance) which they can again frame however they like - and before you know it they've generated this false dramatic narrative, enough to keep the articles flowing for days.

One thing i really like about Klopp (one of the many) is that he rarely rises to these 'rebuttal' questions in interviews, he's always like "that's fine" *shrug*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Klopp didn't need to say Sunderland were the most defensive team he's ever played against. We won the game. What was to be gained by insulting them?

Whether or not it was an insult, I definitely agree it didn't need to be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

OjfNVc0.png
    Turned out to be a nice move. Picked up some trophies, will get some Champions League exposure, I could see him moving abroad after his spell there.

Agree, people reading way too much into very little. If anything, Klopp was being complimentary.

To think someone so stupid could actually have managed 5 clubs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement