Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Our fixture congestion was bad, but so too was every other team's, to be honest. It doesn't really excuse the performances.

The Sunderland game perhaps, but it was fairly surprising that Klopp went with an unchanged team for a game that was just two days after playing City.

Regardless of the scheduling after that, the performances and results against the likes of Plymouth, Swansea, Wolves and even the Southampton games, are shocking. You can't spin it any other way, or point to any excuses. We've looked totally devoid of ideas, confidence, cohesion and anything else that you associate with a decent team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Korat wrote: »
    I now feel less informed.

Football threads aren't for the casual observer. :)

The poster who first explained to you seems to post more about other posters than he does about Liverpool and football in general for some reason that is his gimmick on Boards to use a wrestling term.

A lot us though only get to see he posts when he is quoted by other posters.

Yes the Brady joke is that one or two posters think he is better than what we have at the moment at left back.

Brady is a fine player but not good enough for a top 10 PL team I believe myself Burnley is a good move for him though and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

klose wrote: »
    Ejaria picked up an injury and out for a while according to klopp.

Only league games left now so he wont be playing anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I already thanked this post but I just thought I'd say "thanks" as well...just to be sure.

Do Turty and Coulson pay much rent on their residences, living in the heads/under the skins of those lads, I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Will Mane play , all in his eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

8-10 wrote: »
    Had that happened and we don't get a win tomorrow, all the blame would be on having played the full strength team in the FA Cup to lower league opposition 3 days earlier.

The only premier league teams that played close to full strength in the FA Cup this weekend were Crystal Palace and Hull, both losing by 3 goals

Every other EPL team rested first choice players, I think all of them even played a second choice goalkeeper.

I agree that the team wasn't strong enough, but I disagree that it needed to be full strength. I just hope we're prepared for tomorrow's game. Ill-preparedness has been what's cost us, along with a good plan B

I feel that we needed a win on Saturday to restore morale and boost confidence. As soon as I say the team on Saturday, I knew we'd struggle (said so in match thread) and we sadly paid the price.

Players thrive on winning games and a win would have lifted the whole dressing room and buoyed them up for tomorrow.

Don't care what other clubs did as their situations are all different.

We've also blown a decent chance of a major trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

LFC's last 15 games played across 59 days... Next 15 to be played across 102 days...

https://twitter.com/empireofthekop/status/826037492960870404

God help us playing in Europe next season if this is some kind of valid excuse for our form now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

ERG89 wrote: »
    God help us playing in Europe next season if this is some kind of valid excuse for our form now.

We're obviously going to add players to get a bigger squad for Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ERG89 wrote: »

Playing in Europe next season will mean an expanded squad, team trimmed a lot of the squad last summer as we did not have European football and Liverpool were then caught out with that thin squad with a busy Jan and some players out of form, out of action and such.

Tomorrow night could be 1st time Lallana, Mane, Firmino and Countiho play together since November 6th, That is a lot of games for the main attack to be missing.

Games they have missed
    FA Cup - Fourth Round Liverpool 1-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers Sat 28 Jan
    EFL Cup - Semi-Final Liverpool 0-1 Southampton (agg 0-2) Wed 25 Jan
    Premier League Liverpool 2-3 Swansea City Sat 21 Jan
    FA Cup - Third Round Plymouth Argyle 0-1 Liverpool Wed 18 Jan
    Premier League Manchester United 1-1 Liverpool Sun 15 Jan
    EFL Cup - Semi-Final Southampton 1-0 Liverpool Wed 11 Jan
    FA Cup - Third Round Liverpool 0-0 Plymouth Argyle Sun 8 Jan
    Premier League Sunderland 2-2 Liverpool Mon 2 Jan
    Premier League Liverpool 1-0 Manchester City Sat 31 Dec
    Premier League Liverpool 4-1 Stoke City Tue 27 Dec
    Premier League Everton 0-1 Liverpool Mon 19 Dec
    Premier League Middlesbrough 0-3 Liverpool Wed 14 Dec
    Premier League Liverpool 2-2 West Ham United Sun 11 Dec
    Premier League Bournemouth 4-3 Liverpool Sun 4 Dec
    EFL Cup - Quarter-Final Liverpool 2-0 Leeds United Tue 29 Nov
    Premier League Liverpool 2-0 Sunderland Sat 26 Nov
    Premier League Southampton 0-0 Liverpool

In a little over a week or so we should have Matip and Mane hopefully fully match fit, game a week and no other distractions. Coutinho and Firmino too of course.

Henderson's ankle/heel is the only current injury worry.

Top 4 should very much be there for the taking provided we get back to some sort of form.

Man City & Man Utd have other things as well as the PL to focus on, I'm not at all feeling it'll be easy but if we can stay ahead/amongst them for the next handful of games than we will be nicely poised for a good run at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I've been thinking about it again, and I'd say we're probably going to win the league.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Someone should retire their commenting on other posters rather than contributing to the thread 'joke'.

Indeed turty........... if only ............ lad below is repeatedly blabbing on about someone he allegedly has on ignore.

The poster who first explained to you seems to post more about other posters than he does about Liverpool and football in general for some reason that is his gimmick on Boards to use a wrestling term.

A lot us though only get to see he posts when he is quoted by other posters.

Yes the Brady joke is that one or two posters think he is better than what we have at the moment at left back.

Brady is a fine player but not good enough for a top 10 PL team I believe myself Burnley is a good move for him though and Ireland.

That would indeed make sense and be expected but can it be done in one transfer window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Knex. wrote: »
    I've been thinking about it again, and I'd say we're probably going to win the league.
    Probably League 2, going by some of the posts here:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Augeo wrote: »
    That would indeed make sense and be expected but can it be done in one transfer window?

I'd say so though a few things are open to question esp goal keepers - first Karius will not be dumped not Klopps style, Mignolet might wish to leave he if feels he is only getting games as teh fall back but on the other hand CL football is a lure for him. If they both stay then that's that I imagine but one of Danny Ward/Kamil Grabara will replace Manninger.

Then midfield we all see the need for a quality body in there - Dahoud type would be the ticket.

Wide attacker - one of Brandt and Promes seem the most likely.

Striker - Sturridge off, Ings hard to know really - you'd kind of hope he gets another chance but someone will be needed regardless.

Full back - the position that Klopp says Milner can fill next season (!), surely that can only mean Moreno is off. I think Clyne/TAA will be his RBs for next season as well.

So that's 4 for sure (?) and maybe 5 and could be 6 as a case could be made for a CB. The Cup exits means Gomez progress will be slowed now - needs to stay fit and have a cracking pre-season.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Augeo wrote: »

Exactly, I don't think it could be done. I also don't think signing 6/7 players in one window is necessarily good for squad cohesion, although of course nobody would object if were excellent additions. Klopp is constantly emphasising that he wants to improve the players we have and promote young players. I don't think 6 signings to prepare for European football is his style.

Yeah.... interesting times ahead.

I reckon we need a CB, credible WB/LB option as well as milner, the CM Harry mentions & the wide attacker & at least one striker.

If karius comes good GK is sorted barring injuries.

Hard to see us striking gold with 5 ish signings in one window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fun Bobby's date with the judge has been put back a day and Mane will be back tonight due to paperwork BS so won't train - that said does he need the time? Should be sharp enough if also in need of a good nights kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

People on here are doing abit of hoping I think. We were so poor and devoid of anything for the last month that I don't think it will be easily shaken off and rectified. Please God I'm wrong

• Advertisement

I dunno why but it feels like our winter break is over. Tomorrow feels like the continuation of our title challenge. I fully expect a brilliant performance, and for us to look like the team we were before Christmas.
    I hope Woodburn starts, I'm a big believer in adding a young player to first team. They can improve vastly when surrounded by experienced players in big games.
    Lallana back in midfield, Woodburn in front 3 and Can on bench, that mule needs a break.

The fact that we have no more cup games to worry about has put Sturridge in an awkward position. Rumour has it he could leave before window shuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    People on here are doing abit of hoping I think. We were so poor and devoid of anything for the last month that I don't think it will be easily shaken off and rectified. Please God I'm wrong

Think of all the other blips other teams in the league went through and how they came out of it. Our form is going to turn. Look at Everton they were on a shocking run and have turned it around with a good few wins and cs in the last few games. Spurs went through a spell when they won 1 game in 8 and were struggling to score they look great now. Arsenal had a poor November. Utd went through a bad run of results. We have a good team and a great manager he/ they will turn it around fairly soon.

The fact that we have no more cup games to worry about has put Sturridge in an awkward position. Rumour has it he could leave before window shuts.

Won't be going to Celtic anyway :pac:
    http://www.espnfc.com/liverpool/story/3049632/brendan-rodgers-fitting-daniel-sturridge-into-liverpool-team-wasnt-easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If he thought the only football he was going to be playing was in the cups I doubt he'd give a ****e one way or the other and would already be out of here.

There's been nothing about this up until now.

Sounds like bollocks.

We'd need 5 or 6 good players. I think Klopp made a mistake not bringing in more players last summer and saying he was happy with the squad and he can have no excuses. Too late now to rectify that.
    The game against Chelsea feels a bit like one from 3 years ago when we played a weak side away against Real to try focus on a home game vs Chelsea which we lost 2-1.

• Advertisement

We brought in Karius, Matip, Klavan, Wijnaldum, and Mane. 3 players that instantly improve the starting team and two more that are improvements over what we had on the bench before. We can't just buy a load of good players and expect them all to be happy with spending half their season on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Sums up that England team really...their player of the year, and yet wasn't given a single minute on the pitch as they went out to Iceland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Absolutely. In fact I'm that positive at the moment that I wouldn't completely rule us out winning the FA Cup either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

personally title is out of reach,even with a win tomorrow,would need a unbeaten run till the end with mostly wins just to have a chance,not gonna happen.

id snatch your hand off for top 4 right now,start again in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

mosstin wrote: »
    Absolutely. In fact I'm that positive at the moment that I wouldn't completely rule us out winning the FA Cup either.

Then we'll play us in the Community Shield in August, and we'll probably blow it.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Then we'll play us in the Community Shield in August, and we'll probably blow it.

Well, in mitigation, I doubt either of us would want to win the Community Shield anyway.

Aldo wants Mane to start tomorrow night. Love the man but, bless him, he hasn't a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

mosstin wrote: »
    Aldo wants Mane to start tomorrow night. Love the man but, bless him, he hasn't a clue.

Nothing more than those crying out for Matip to play as soon as FIFA cleared him, Mané will have had a private jet home, it would have been a long flight yes but time wise it is only 1 hour ahead of us so no real jet lag. Would be nice for him to start but being in the bench as a top option to come on later in the game will also be good

I doubt Sturridge will make first team in league.
    His minutes could be very few between now and end of season.
    I doubt he'll get 200 mins .

We brought in Karius, Matip, Klavan, Wijnaldum, and Mane. 3 players that instantly improve the starting team and two more that are improvements over what we had on the bench before. We can't just buy a load of good players and expect them all to be happy with spending half their season on the bench.

Mane has improved us & added much needed pace in attack. I think our defence is still vulnerable regardless if Matip plays or not, he is better than our current options but that isn't saying much. Wijnaldum has been very good in some big games but anonymous in others.
    Karius was cclearly bought to be first choice & is on the bench now so his success long term is up in the air. Klavan I think is a very ordinary defender. If we do get champions league football which is debatable giving our form we'd want to buy a lot better than we have the last few years. Yeah we can't expect to sign players to sit on the bench but if I was looking at our team there is a lot of opportunities for players to come in & take their chances. We haven't got an amazing team that can't be improved upon. Mane, Lallana, Coutinho & Firmino (only as a no.9 mind) have produced this season. Milner too in a thankless role the rest have been up & down too often. I can't say any defender has been imperious & if we get any injury our cover fails to make any impact. When Mane was eliminated at the ACON I bet a lot of people were hoping he'd be back tomorrow as unrealistic as it sounds. Which sums our bench up now.

Nothing more than those crying out for Matip to play as soon as FIFA cleared him, Mané will have had a private jet home, it would have been a long flight yes but time wise it is only 1 hour ahead of us so no real jet lag. Would be nice for him to start but being in the bench as a top option to come on later in the game will also be good

Matip was well rested and in full training so was perfectly ready to be put back in. Mane's played several games at international level in a tournament where he's been earmarked for some, eh, special attention. Added to this, he missed the pivotal penalty which saw his team eliminated.
    Footballers are human. The fact that Mane is being shipped back so promptly for this match kind of shows us where we're at with our squad at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

I doubt Sturridge will make first team in league.
    His minutes could be very few between now and end of season.
    I doubt he'll get 200 mins .

I doubt that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0130/848809-reds-paying-the-price-for-not-spending-dunphy/

Dunphy in stopped watch shocker. "You’ve got to buy top players and Liverpool Football Club have no excuse with their tradition and the expectation and fans they’ve got, not to go and be in for, the best players on the market."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Brego888 wrote: »
    Yes out of 3 competitions. We won't win the league now and I don't consider the "top 4" trophy a competition.

It doesn't really matter whether you consider finishing the top 4 a competition or not. It is a competition, it's called the Premier League and if you finish in the top 4 you gain champion's league qualification which, again it doesn't really matter what you think, will represent progression for us this season. So to say we are out of the Premier League is not true, perhaps we can't win it but we are still in that competition and can achieve something that will help us going forward.
    Also regarding the part in bold, I believe you should have put the inverted commas over the trophy and not the top 4. I mean, are you suggesting top 4 isn't a thing or that it's not a trophy?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It was delayed though and only landed this evening rather than yesterday evening as they had hoped. I think there is very little chance he will start. Some chance he is on the bench but I'm not sure if the chance will be taken on him. I would like to see him on the bench though.

• Advertisement

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0130/848809-reds-paying-the-price-for-not-spending-dunphy/

Dunphy in stopped watch shocker. "You’ve got to buy top players and Liverpool Football Club have no excuse with their tradition and the expectation and fans they’ve got, not to go and be in for, the best players on the market."

When we beat Southampton in the League Cup last season, this bellend wrote that we would win the league last year. I have no idea how people still consider Dunphy/Giles an authority on the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Its clear at this point that when Klopp came in here a lot of people didn't really understand what they were getting, pundits and fans alike. Before he was successful with Dortmund he built them up. Not with superstars but with players that fit his way of playing. It seems like some people really dont want Klopp, they just want the success he brought to Dortmund and they want it right now.

While he's not above criticism, and a few players coming in January would have helped, I'm happy to let him build his own squad and take him at his word that those players weren't available.

Clyne major doubt for tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I hope tomorrow is the night we finally clique and put in a performance, it'd be a bit of a 'joke' to lose 4 in a row at Anfield especially when it was against Wolves, Swansea and Southampton. Will be typical us to beat Chelsea and then lose to Hull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

poor saido was inconsolable too last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

What's actually wrong with clyne

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    What's actually wrong with clyne

Bruised ribs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Clyne major doubt for tomorrow night.

When I saw TAA not even on the bench in the cup game the other day I would have put money on Clyne being out tomorrow. Not a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Woke up this morning feeling fine. Got LFC on my mind. :)

• Advertisement

I almost wonder if, with our best RB being out, we will go for a 3 at the back and Moreno and TAA as wing backs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement