Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

I almost wonder if, with our best RB being out, we will go for a 3 at the back and Moreno and TAA as wing backs.

No chance..... we typically play with 2 at the back & wingbacks.

Also, Moreno & TAA starting with Miller where? Dropped? Not a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

I hope tomorrow is the night we finally clique and put in a performance, it'd be a bit of a 'joke' to lose 4 in a row at Anfield especially when it was against Wolves, Swansea and Southampton. Will be typical us to beat Chelsea and then lose to Hull.

I think it will be like the City game, hopefully with the same result. Get one hopefully and sit deep.

We can't argue that we were in any way robbed of results lately as the performances were very poor. This one might be just to steady the ship before Mane returns as it looks unlikely he will play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I am full of dread about tonight, i think that it came too soon but hey, whats the worst that could happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Bruised ribs

Ah here... that's pathetic. You'd never play GAA or rugby if you were to use that excuse. Professional soccer players are fannies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Vanolder wrote: »
    Ah here... that's pathetic. You'd never play GAA or rugby if you were to use that excuse. Professional soccer players are fannies.

I take it you've never actually had bruised ribs, it can be excruciating pain for the first few weeks and any contact can make it worse. It's also incredibly difficult to breathe. But yeah he's not "hard" enough

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    I take it you've never actually had bruised ribs, it can be excruciating pain for the first few weeks and any contact can make it worse. But yeah he's not "hard" enough

More than once. A few days of discomfort and off you go.. youre talking tripe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Augeo wrote: »
    I know I should let it go but it has to be said ...

After Suarez left, Brendan Rodgers was unable to put together a functional Liverpool team when Sturridge wasn't available.

That man talks some amount of BS and the media swallow it because it makes a good story that fits the narrative of the day.

Well, one thing is clear from that exchange, Vanolder is Wolverine....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

SURE JUST RUB CODDLE ON THE OPEN WOUND YOU BIG MARY. Back in myyyy day...

Vanolder wrote: »
    More than once. A few days of discomfort and off you go.. youre talking tripe.

How am I talking tripe? I've played Rugby at a reasonable level and cracked a rib. Bruising wasn't much better and is painful and very difficult to breathe. Your looking at a 2-3 weeks if it's Bruising and could be more depending on how severe. Any sport which involves running like GAA, Rugby and Football are all going to be affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Careful now lads, you'll be accused of kliqing him rather than pointing out he's talking rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm hoping this goes the way of the City game from 4/5 seasons ago where Carroll got a brace and Liverpool won 3-0.

On the other hand, Conte has them well drilled and I think they could win quite handily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

I'm bracing myself for a long evening. Conte has put together a team that we would struggle to beat when playing well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Vicxas wrote: »
    Well, one thing is clear from that exchange, Vanolder is Wolverine....

Proved right......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Norwich selling Sergi Canos and we get 30% of the it #NetProfit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The amount of articles I'm reading saying klopp needs to adapt is laughable and that the players are burnt out. Its only 2 weeks ago a lot of the so called experts were praising the pressing game against utd.

Sakho rumoured to be off to Palace too....

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Careful now lads, you'll be accused of kliqing him rather than pointing out he's talking rubbish.

Ah he wouldn't be bothered by that, he'd be too busy eating nails for breakfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Norwich selling Sergi Canos and we get 30% of the it #NetProfit

Another transfer window where we turn a profit !

Talisman wrote: »
    I know I should let it go but it has to be said ...

After Suarez left, Brendan Rodgers was unable to put together a functional Liverpool team when Sturridge wasn't available.

That man talks some amount of BS and the media swallow it because it makes a good story that fits the narrative of the day.

No doubt, but in the article he's clearly talking abut fitting Sturridge into the team when Suarez was playing and to be fair he got the best out of both of them iirc :)

• Advertisement

No doubt, but in the article he's clearly talking abut fitting Sturridge into the team when Suarez was playing and to be fair he got the best out of both of them iirc :)
    It's still BS. At the time, Rodgers spoke of tailoring the roles of the front players to the opposition. That made sense at the time, but now he has said it was to accommodate Sturridge.

In the run to the end of the 2013/14 season, the front four positions picked themselves: Coutinho, Sterling, Sturridge and Suarez. The alternatives were Victor Moses and Iago Aspas, Fabio Borini was out on loan at Sunderland.

I can only imagine that trying to accommodate Sturridge in the team, in place of Moses or Aspas must have been the stuff of nightmares for the manager. The stats would no doubt show a different story though.

Talisman wrote: »
    It's still BS.................

Of course it is bud, apologies, I am totally mistaken. There was never any chat about fitting the two of them in being any way an issue etc etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

These articles about the club pointing out what's wrong are conspicuous in their timing. None of these guys would put their neck on the line and say that the squad wouldn't be good enough when Liverpool beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, or when they were top of the league going into the last international break after a 6-1 win (the last time we had Mane, Coutinho and Firmino on the pitch), or as recently as New Year's when we beat City.

It's fairly easy to point to the problems after a month where it all seemed to go wrong, but are the critics decrying the squad depth aware that the team has only 15 games left this season, that Mane is back from the ACON, that Matip can now train and play and that Coutinho is regaining his fitness?

These articles about the club pointing out what's wrong are conspicuous in their timing. None of these guys would put their neck on the line and say that the squad wouldn't be good enough when Liverpool beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, or when they were top of the league going into the last international break after a 6-1 win (the last time we had Mane, Coutinho and Firmino on the pitch), or as recently as New Year's when we beat City.

It's fairly easy to point to the problems after a month where it all seemed to go wrong, but are the critics decrying the squad depth aware that the team has only 15 games left this season, that Mane is back from the ACON, that Matip can now train and play and that Coutinho is regaining his fitness?

Sappy404 wrote: »
    These articles about the club pointing out what's wrong are conspicuous in their timing...
    There's no other news story regarding Liverpool. Klopp knocked all talk of transfers on the head a few weeks ago.

Sappy404 wrote: »

So just to be clear, you are saying that we have an adequate squad for the next 15 games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jaysus, Sakho is on 105k a week?

duffman13 wrote: »
    How am I talking tripe? I've played Rugby at a reasonable level and cracked a rib. Bruising wasn't much better and is painful and very difficult to breathe. Your looking at a 2-3 weeks if it's Bruising and could be more depending on how severe. Any sport which involves running like GAA, Rugby and Football are all going to be affected.

Never cracked a rib but was able to play with bruised.

Obviously it wasn't the worse case.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Its clear at this point that when Klopp came in here a lot of people didn't really understand what they were getting, pundits and fans alike. Before he was successful with Dortmund he built them up. Not with superstars but with players that fit his way of playing. It seems like some people really dont want Klopp, they just want the success he brought to Dortmund and they want it right now.

While he's not above criticism, and a few players coming in January would have helped, I'm happy to let him build his own squad and take him at his word that those players weren't available.

If he hadn't spent 30m on Mane I might agree!

Clearly he doesn't mind buying big when required.

• Advertisement

So just to be clear, you are saying that we have an adequate squad for the next 15 games?

IMO the squad depth problems we had in January are now significantly less pertinent. Of course, that's because we have fewer games having gone out of both cups due to squad depth issues. But the likelihood of losing both Mane and Coutinho again is slim, and Matip and Gomez are options we didn't have for large periods earlier in the season.

If it were up to me the club would have a better backup to Henderson than Can and Lucas and a more senior backup for Clyne, but that will be less of an issue from now on.

noodler wrote: »
    Never cracked a rib but was able to play with bruised.

Obviously it wasn't the worse case.

You can't be talking sense in here.

But £30M isn't really big money anymore with regard to transfer fees between Premier League clubs.

To put it in perspective, Benteke was sold to Crystal Palace for £27M plus £5M in potential add-ons in the same transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

£30m is hardly big in todays terms, especially for a transfer between PL clubs. Crystal palace spent that on Benteke sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I broke a rib in a fit of coughing on my coffee reading the thread. Was still able to post ****e for weeks, could only give a wry smile though.

In fairness, if I had bruised ribs I'd be worried about Klopp hugs too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I broke a rib in a fit of coughing on my coffee reading the thread. Was still able to post ****e for weeks, could only give a wry smile though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I dont believe buying Mané was buying a superstar, but buying a player which fit his system. Dont think I said he wouldn't buy big if required?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

decided not to watch tonight, i watch every lfc game,even friendlies when broadcast somewhere. so im taking tonight off. im hoping my viewing absence will lesson the pressure on the lads and they can play with a greater freedom. so shall we win tonight ye can thank me.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Sakho spotted in London by Chris from Redmen....

Maybe he won't act the bollocks at Palace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I can't be the only one underwhelmed by our transfers since Klopp came in can I? It seems like the goal posts are being shifted all over the place, the latest being now that we're too naive and clueless about Klopps previous work to realise that he always buys young and develops players.

This has imo changed due to the lack of quality signings, when he was originally touted as our manager I'm sure we all rejoiced at getting a world class manager and how with his track record and success compared to Rodgers we would now be able to attract big name players with the combo of being Liverpool, the money we have and Klopp as manager we were all expecting Reus, Gotze, lewandowski and to cherry pick the cream of the crop from Germany, it has not materialised yet unfortunately. I don't need to outline our signings we all know who they are but they aren't exactly players we needed klopp for to be able to sign them.

So when exactly or why do we now seemingly have to accept that we won't be signing established stars? It really does look like people want to jump through hoops now in a bid to justify our imo poor transfer policies. The circumstances of what klopp took over at Dortmund compared to what he has at Liverpool are not in the same ball park. I'd like to think Liverpool were way further ahead in development and that klopp would have a head start and could by pass the signing young cheapies stage and just sign some class.

This is not me having a go at Klopp or wanting him out or any ****e like that before anyone accuses me of that, just an observation that people are changing their tune a lot and yet calling other posters naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

decided not to watch tonight, i watch every lfc game,even friendlies when broadcast somewhere. so im taking tonight off. im hoping my viewing absence will lesson the pressure on the lads and they can play with a greater freedom. so shall we win tonight ye can thank me.

:pac:

Can't watch as I'm working. This one will be a better performance than the cup ones I'm sure for a whole variety of reasons. Not saying they'll win, but...

And if it's not well, we'll still have a good 10 mins before the trasnfer window closes....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Why did people think we were gonna get lewandowski, reus, goetze etc??
    Thats crazy talk. We finished 8th last year. No europe. I kinda felt lucky we got Mane at the time because united and Spurs were meant to be sniffing round him. People have got to be realistic. Its got gonna be an overnight success. I'm happy that Klopp isnt buying just for the sake of it. We've had too much filler before. Lets just get some quality into the positions we need. If that takes till next summer or the winter/summer after then so be it. As long as we continue to build and improve then I dont see any problem with it.
    We've had a bad spell recently. It happens. We've got 15 games left in the season. lets just keep going, leave eveything out on the field every game, and see where it takes us. Look at where we are in the summer, maybe CL, take stock, get rid of the deadwood and then go after the targets we need.

So when exactly or why do we now seemingly have to accept that we won't be signing established stars?

Klopp can build a title winning squad and I'm willing to give him the time it takes to do that. I base that on the improvement on last year and where we are in the table. He's not above criticism, and we could have done with a few more signings but I take him at his word that he couldn't get the players in he wanted. If it blows up in his face then he'll get the criticism, but I'm not going to be crying looking for "stars" to be brought in when his transfer plan is improving us.

Even a draw tonight will lift the gloom appreciably IMO :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Even a draw tonight will lift the gloom appreciably IMO :)

You're gonna be thrilled when we're 3-0 up by half time then.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Not too many of those given out recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

NukaCola wrote: »
    Klopp can build a title winning squad and I'm willing to give him the time it takes to do that. I base that on the improvement on last year and where we are in the table. He's not above criticism, and we could have done with a few more signings but I take him at his word that he couldn't get the players in he wanted. If it blows up in his face then he'll get the criticism, but I'm not going to be crying looking for "stars" to be brought in when his transfer plan is improving us.

So you would say you never expected klopp to have any pulling power and we were never going to sign any well established players? You've thought from day one that we would be developing a squad, if yes then fair play to you, personally I was excited about the possibilities of attracting some top quality players under Klopp, nothing stopping him doing that as well as buying young players and developing them too.

Not sure why you're saying crying or 'stars' either seem a bit disingenuous. I'm not crying I'm expressing a frustration.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If we lose tonight it'll be the first time since 1923 we lose 4 home games on the spin. Our next 2 home games after tonight are Spurs and Arsenal.

Only 1 of the current 3 loss run is a league game though,context is everything :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I see young Williams looks set for a move today.

So you would say you never expected klopp to have any pulling power and we were never going to sign any well established players? You've thought from day one that we would be developing a squad, if yes then fair play to you, personally I was excited about the possibilities of attracting some top quality players under Klopp, nothing stopping him doing that as well as buying young players and developing them too.

Not sure why you're saying crying or 'stars' either seem a bit disingenuous. I'm not crying I'm expressing a frustration.

I'm just answering the question you posed. In fairness you've been consistent and level headed in your criticism of transfers. I'm not saying you are crying but there are people, not necessarily posting here, that always complain and moan about transfers. Frustration is fine and as I said I 100% understand that.

To answer your next question I didn't really know what to expect when Klopp came in and it is perfectly reasonable to assume we'd go for more established players. But after a year and a bit and 3 transfer windows it should be clear to everyone that Klopp is doing what he done at Dortmund, buying players that fit his style. He did spend big relative to what he did at Dortmund, and I get they aren't on star names but our squad as a whole is improving.

I have frustrations of course but I have accepted that this is the way it is, and tbh as we are improving considerably I cant really give out too much. Sure we can rant away all day about transfers but I am happy to see what Klopp can do.

Edit I wrote "stars" as its a relative term, nothing disingenuous about it at all. Has Mané not been a star for us despite not being perceived as one before he signed?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement