Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

So you would say you never expected klopp to have any pulling power and we were never going to sign any well established players?
    It's not the same thing. Klopp can attract star players, but Klopp doesn't want to sign star players. He has spoken about this since he signed for Liverpool.

For example, in one interview he laughed off a question from the German media regarding rumours that Liverpool signing Lewandowski from Bayern. His response was along the lines of why would he want to sign the players he had at Dortmund. He has already the experience of having worked with them and built a successful team with them. Liverpool is a new project for him, he wants to work with new players and mould a new team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

NukaCola wrote: »
    I'm just answering the question you posed. In fairness you've been consistent and level headed in your criticism of transfers. I'm not saying you are crying but there are people, not necessarily posting here, that always complain and moan about transfers. Frustration is fine and as I said I 100% understand that.

To answer your next question I didn't really know what to expect when Klopp came in and it is perfectly reasonable to assume we'd go for more established players. But after a year and a bit and 3 transfer windows it should be clear to everyone that Klopp is doing what he done at Dortmund, buying players that fit his style. He did spend big relative to what he did at Dortmund, and I get they aren't on star names but our squad as a whole is improving.

I have frustrations of course but I have accepted that this is the way it is, and tbh as we are improving considerably I cant really give out too much.
    Sure we can rant away all day about transfers but I am happy to see what Klopp can do.

Edit I wrote "stars" as its a relative term, nothing disingenuous about it at all. Has Mané not been a star for us despite not being perceived as one before he signed?

This is the key thing for me above all else. You'll get some who'll try and stir it by saying we are no better now than under 'The Rodgers' but it's obvious how much better the team is. Unfortunately there will always be those unable to see the bigger picture and looking for instant gratification.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Turtyturd wrote: »
    This is the key thing for me above all else. You'll get some who'll try and stir it by saying we are no better now than under 'The Rodgers' but it's obvious how much better the team is. Unfortunately there will always be those unable to see the bigger picture and looking for instant gratification.

This is a bit contradictory, in one sentence you say it's obvious how much better the team is than under Rodgers which is debatable for starters I do recall a 2nd place finish under BR but anyway you also talk about the big picture which is implying that in time yes we will be a lot better but we're currently a work in progress so which is it?

Talisman wrote: »
    It's not the same thing. Klopp can attract star players, but Klopp doesn't want to sign star players. He has spoken about this since he signed for Liverpool.

For example, in one interview he laughed off a question from the German media regarding rumours that Liverpool signing Lewandowski from Bayern. His response was along the lines of why would he want to sign the players he had at Dortmund. He has already the experience of having worked with them and built a successful team with them. Liverpool is a new project for him, he wants to work with new players and mould a new team.

Would you not thinks it's a bit silly that he could sign big name players but just doesn't want to? like that quote about Lewandowski, come on, if we had a sniff of signing him but Klopp said no for that reason I'd be raging! He worked with Gotze too and I'm fairly sure we pursued him, no?

Would you not thinks it's a bit silly that he could sign big name players but just doesn't want to? like that quote about Lewandowski, come on, if we had a sniff of signing him but Klopp said no for that reason I'd be raging! He worked with Gotze too and I'm fairly sure we pursued him, no?
    So your argument is that Klopp is being silly.

Klopp did speak to Gotze but dropped his interest because Gotze wanted to go back to Dortmund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

he has hardly pulled up trees since his return either gotze,been poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

he has hardly pulled up trees since his return either gotze,been poor.

Well Tuchel is still set on playing him a central midfielder when he clearly isn't, that's part of the problem. Götze was never as good since he and Klopp parted ways, whether that's a coincidence or not is open to interpretation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

This is a bit contradictory, in one sentence you say it's obvious how much better the team is than under Rodgers which is debatable for starters I do recall a 2nd place finish under BR but anyway you also talk about the big picture which is implying that in time yes we will be a lot better but we're currently a work in progress so which is it?

What contradiction is there in saying that we are already improved and also a work in progress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

rob316 wrote: »
    £30m is hardly big in todays terms, especially for a transfer between PL clubs. Crystal palace spent that on Benteke sure.

Ah now it is absolutely big.

Just because they are more common these doesn't mean they are somehow the average EPL transfer fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Some good news is that the same kinds of unrealistic swings in form required for us to catch Chelsea also mean we've still got a pretty good chance of catching Spurs et al and getting back up to 2nd.

Spurs recent run is WWWWWD while ours is WWWDDL (not as bad as you'd think, incidentally, amidst the doom and gloom).

So, assuming we were to get back in decent form, Spurs would have to have gone on a 10-15 game unbeaten run or have won 13/15 or something to keep us at arms' length going into April.

Then, 3 of their last 4 games are Arsenal (H), West Ham (A) and Utd (H).

I don't think anyone has much chance of catching Chelsea, never mind us, but there's still some scraps to fight over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Norwich selling Sergi Canos and we get 30% of the it #NetProfit

And to Brentford which is where he was so good on loan and where he clearly should have gone as I think they were interested.

Cameron Brannagan joins Fleetwood Town today and Jordan Williams is off permanently to MK Dons or Charlton by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hopefully the front four of Lallana, Mane, Firmino & Coutinho can Kliq quickly once they all start playing together again.

wlnwogesture2.jpg?quality=90&w=650

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Strong team. Mane on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

16427488_10155144364172573_5349842391609883895_n.jpg?oh=fb72211743919dc4d8f6aa3d23b3b95e&oe=590DCAB6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Can and Hendo in midfield again, blegh...though I suppose at least it's more justifiable against Chelsea than a lot of the teams they've started together against.

Really worried about their pace on the counter with Moses, Hazard and Willian.

• Advertisement

Clyne obviously had a read on here earlier and decided to man up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Proved right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Ah crap, I saw that in match thread first and literally posted the same as you but independent of your post, I must stress.

Talisman wrote: »
    So your argument is that Klopp is being silly.

Klopp did speak to Gotze but dropped his interest because Gotze wanted to go back to Dortmund.

Silly was being nice choose another adjective like stupid if you like, it would be stupid if he could sign better players but chose not to on some moral crusade. You also said he was quoted as not wanting Lewandowski because he didn't want to work with the same players again, it's baffling in itself but moreso because he attempted to sign Gotze who he did also work with.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Ah crap, I saw that in match thread first and literally posted the same as you but independent of your post, I must stress.

Well man up is a classic 'joke'....right up there with proved right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

So Klopp decided on putting Mane in the squad after looking into his eyes:
    "Now it’s all good, he will be here this night at some point. I spoke to him, it’s all good so far. He’ll be in tomorrow morning, I have no idea. I have to look in his eyes, then make a decision.”

Klopp not just putting faith in Mane, but also the controversial methods of BorneTobyWilde.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Quick question for you Liverpool fans. Is Sakho seriously worth £20m? I find that staggering. Every time I see him, there's a mistake just waiting to happen. It's a serious question, by the way. I'm not on here on some sort of WUMming mission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

A 2nd under BR would've been a league title under anyone else.
    Luis Suarez almost took us to glory singlehandedly (Sturridge provided a lot of 1 nils early on while the little dancers was banned). Imagine what klopp could've done with that team!

Looking a bit crisper and sharper than we have for a wee while.

blueser wrote: »
    Quick question for you Liverpool fans. Is Sakho seriously worth £20m? I find that staggering. Every time I see him, there's a mistake just waiting to happen. It's a serious question, by the way. I'm not on here on some sort of WUMming mission.

I mean, is anyone worth anything? Look at the prices paid for CB's by Man City, or the price attributed to Van Dijk, and yes, he's worth 20m. Basically anyone established in the premiership is worth 20m at this stage.

In terms of his actual ability, I think he's worth 40m. But his mentality/insanity pulls that back quite a bit.

<Edit> On the thing of him looking like a mistake...he's a weird guy, he looks terribly awkward, but his passing is consistently amongst the most accurate, and offensive in the league. When he does make a mistake, it stands out more than others because of the way his limbs gangle about - but its quite deceiving.

A 2nd under BR would've been a league title under anyone else.
    Luis Suarez almost took us to glory singlehandedly (Sturridge provided a lot of 1 nils early on while the little dancers was banned). Imagine what klopp could've done with that team!

Lol.... iirc Kenny didn't get much out of Suarez & Celtic just broke a long standing record so I don't think anyone else is fair to be honest :)

Silly was being nice choose another adjective like stupid if you like, it would be stupid if he could sign better players but chose not to on some moral crusade. You also said he was quoted as not wanting Lewandowski because he didn't want to work with the same players again, it's baffling in itself but moreso because he attempted to sign Gotze who he did also work with.
    At £18M, Gotze represented a bargain. Any manager would be mad not to try sign him at that price.

Chelsea doing a great lower league team impression so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I mean, is anyone worth anything? Look at the prices paid for CB's by Man City, or the price attributed to Van Dijk, and yes, he's worth 20m. Basically anyone established in the premiership is worth 20m at this stage.

In terms of his actual ability, I think he's worth 40m. But his mentality/insanity pulls that back quite a bit.

<Edit> On the thing of him looking like a mistake...he's a weird guy, he looks terribly awkward, but his passing is consistently amongst the most accurate, and offensive in the league. When he does make a mistake, it stands out more than others because of the way his limbs gangle about - but its quite deceiving.
    If the City dig is aimed at me, fine. I agree with you re. transfer fees. We've paid daft money for defenders this past few seasons. I'm not here to argue with any Liverpool fan, so there's no real need to have a pop back. I guess we'll just have to agree to differ in this case. Oh, and by the way; good luck tonight. We need someone to slow Chelsea down a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Augeo wrote: »
    Lol.... iirc Kenny didn't get much out of Suarez & Celtic just broke a long standing record so I don't think anyone else is fair to be honest :)

Celtic would have more competition if they played in the Waterford schoolboys League than they do in Scotland.

Hardly fair to compare this Celtic team to the team that won the European Cup.

• Advertisement

blueser wrote: »
    If the City dig is aimed at me, fine. I agree with you re. transfer fees. We've paid daft money for defenders this past few seasons. I'm not here to argue with any Liverpool fan, so there's no real need to have a pop back. I guess we'll just have to agree to differ in this case. Oh, and by the way; good luck tonight. We need someone to slow Chelsea down a bit!

Oh no, that wasn't a dig, and I didn't know you were a city fan. My point is the market is nuts, anyone established begins at 15 to 20m, and good examples of particularly high CB prices quoted of late are the City buys (especially Stones) and Van Dijk.

Celtic would have more competition if they played in the Waterford schoolboys League than they do in Scotland.

Hardly fair to compare this Celtic team to the team that won the European Cup.

I said they broke a long standing record. I didn't insinuate a comparison with the holders if that record .

Hazard up to his usual.

F*ck off Clattemburg.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We could collapse now.

You just know if we did that he'd blow for it to be retaken.

Nah. Once the free was given there was nothing wrong with it. Soft free at best though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What a snake.

5starpool wrote: »
    Nah. Once the free was given there was nothing wrong with it. Soft free at best though.

Definitely not a free. Clattenberg is wide to Costa, but falling for everything from Hazard.

Hopefully Luiz is done.

2017 so far for Liverpool FC is what 2016 was for celebrities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Whistle was clearly blown.. what possibly Reason is there?..

Can's passing has been sh!te so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Looks like we missed out on Brady.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

This is ****ing pathetic .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Can, hendo and Georgio don't work as a mid 3. Too slow in passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Can't believe Mignolet, whistle blown ans he's got his back to the ball.

• Advertisement

Is Bobby central at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I wish Clyne would run past someone just once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

We are home to Chelsea with the remains of our season on the line and we muster one shot on target in the half and otherwise look rudderless and clueless.

We've got the ball wide a number of times but there was no one in the box.

Chelsea haven't played 5 mins of football and are completely comfortable . Contrast that with Spurs v Chelsea a few weeks ago. We're going no here fast playing the way we are with the players we have

I wish Clyne would run past someone just once.

He's a better player than I think he realises.

Need to get someone on Clattenberg, been central to everything for Chelsea.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement