Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

3 of the worst teams in league will cost us the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Need Chelsea to lose two on the bounce to open up race.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mad that after this bloody horrendously depressing January, we're still only a point off 2nd, with 15 to play.

And taking the whole season into account, with 2ppg exactly after 23 games, i'd have taken that in an instant at the beginning of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Milner needs a rest. He looks like he's about to drop dead from exhaustion. Made mistake after mistake in the second half and it was tiredness. Great header for the goal but could have cost us several times.

• martyos121 wrote: »
    Don't think it's gotten as much attention as it deserved but fair play to Mig for the penalty save. Could be a huge point he gained us in the grand scheme of things.

He redeemed himself for the fee kick even if there is an argument he wouldn't have got to it.
    Tbf I have said there is a decent keeper in there somewhere beyond all the silly mistakes. He proved that by his shot stopping for the peno.
    Could be worse, yee could have man citys keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

You know that feeling you have when a team breaks quickly against us? you clench your arse cheeks, half close one eye and generally hope for the best! well i have that feeling EVERY time a team goes on the counter attack against us no matter the opposition, it's like we need several chances to score and yet the opposition can score with every attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I think some of ye are missing the point re Mignolet.

At this level they are watching vids etc etc planning for games. Migs is a constant weak link however we want to dress it up.

It isnt about whether he could save it if he was set. It is about the opposition knowing he switches off several times a game and if he had actually been set and ready then Luiz probably doesnt take the shot as quick.

Small details at the top level make you average and ultimately not good enough. A quality keeper like Lloris for example is 'hawking' that ball while he sets up.

On a side note, our lack of general 'snide' and professional skullduggery doesnt help in these situations. A 'snide' that delays the taking of that free kick, while we do actually set up for the defence of it. While keeping the right side of the refs pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

3 of the worst teams in league will cost us the league.

Burnley at home have 28 pts its proved a tough fixture for every team in the league. Arsenal and city were blessed to get wins there. Happy with tonight if we can win on Saturday we are in a great position to kick on and finish comfortably in the top 4. Let's be realistic if we were promised top 4 at the start of the season most would be delighted. Klopp has improved us and will continue to if we get top 4 this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No point in discussing in match thread but why is the ref blowing the whistle why mig is still on his post. It wasn't a quick free kick so he has to give players time to get set. Am I crazy or was that free kick way out of the normal.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Sturidge does literally nothing else. If he's not scoring goals, we're playing with 10 men. At least when Firmino has a bad day in front of goal, he's running his balls off, tackling, harrying, opening space with crossing runs etc.

He had a bad game, and on another day, could have had 2, but ill always have time for someone who leaves everything out on the field and works as hard as they can.

Yawnies

Look at what I replied to bud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

niallo27 wrote: »
    No point in discussing in match thread but why is the ref blowing the whistle why mig is still on his post. It wasn't a quick free kick so he has to give players time to get set. Am I crazy or was that free kick way out of the normal.

I disagree.

The ref doesn't look to the keeper to make sure he is ready like for a kick off.

Mig was actually at his near post when the whistle was blown anyway. He then goes on a wander.

I'm surprisingly confident for the rest of the season now a decent result has come in and everyone is fit.

I still think Sturridge and Oirigi will play a part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He redeemed himself for the fee kick even if there is an argument he wouldn't have got to it.
    Tbf I have said there is a decent keeper in there somewhere beyond all the silly mistakes. He proved that by his shot stopping for the peno.
    Could be worse, yee could have man citys keeper

Yeah I like Mignolet and he's earned his spot in the team for sure. Having said that, Karius will definitely improve his overall game and being dropped should motivate him to do so. His distribution is brilliant and creates counter attacks for us, which is hugely important with our style of play. The broken hand really hampered him early on and when you see the weak attempts he's made at saving some shots, it looks like he's a bit afraid of re-injuring it. He'll be our number one keeper by the start of next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Delighted for Wij tonight too, doesn't get the credit he deserves.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

That's better. Much improved performance, especially in the 2nd half. More direct throughout, and better side in the 2nd half. Same issues persist as have for the last year or more, especially Mig and Lovren with the usual errors.,and Firmino for all his hard work and quality is not a good finisher, two sitters missed,and Sturridge looks finished, if he wasn't thrown on late tonight with Bobby out on his feet, then he is nowhere in the managers plans.
    All to play for, 15 games left and hopefully the blip is out of the way for the season. European games will hopefully cost others points in the next month, so still all up for grabs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Yep when he blows the whistle MIG is still talking to his wall, he should have waited till he was set, over all prob a fair result tho

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

There is no point in discussing anything ever in a match thread. The majority of people on all sides that post in a match thread are either on a wind up or let their bias get in the way of any real discussion.

noodler wrote: »
    I disagree.

The ref doesn't look to the keeper to make sure he is ready like for a kick off.

Mig was actually at his near post when the whistle was blown anyway. He then goes on a wander.

I'm surprisingly confident for the rest of the season now a decent result has come in and everyone is fit.

Fair enough he shouid be more alert. I was just surprised he blows the whistle before he makes the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You know that feeling you have when a team breaks quickly against us? you clench your arse cheeks, half close one eye and generally hope for the best! well i have that feeling EVERY time a team goes on the counter attack against us no matter the opposition, it's like we need several chances to score and yet the opposition can score with every attack.

I used to get that at corners/free kicks around the box, then it stopped for a while...it's back big time now.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I used to get that at corners/free kicks around the box, then it stopped for a while...it's back big time now.

Talking about our own corners and frees I assume?

• Advertisement

Was it as much of a sh!t show as it looked?

Every last post seemed to be from a 'football fan'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

We've only got 3 games in all of feb. Plenty of time to get some steam back in the engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Decent performance and probably a fair result although Firmino probably had the two best chances of the 2nd half and missed them both.

Arsenal losing at home and Spurs only drawing helps as well. Another tough game out of the way for us. Hopefully with Mane back we can beat Hull on the weekend and then it's another big one at home to Spurs.

I disagree.

They actually do though. What you'll see 99% of the time (at all levels from schoolboy upwards), is the ref getting the thumbs up/nod from the keeper, then blowing.

It's exactly why for a quick free the attacker has to say it straight away to the ref, or even before the game that its something they might do. Once it's clearly a more standard set piece, everyone is normally allowed to set up accordingly. Sure if that wasn't the case, this would be happening the whole time. it's no surprise that when the ref blows, it's usually when the keeper is settled in position - not standing on his post (as when the ref blew today).

Mig should have been more alert, but it was certainly out of the ordinary for the ref too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Three game next month....feck, what are we going to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Just had a read of a few pages in the match thread, some proper "neutral" cùnts in there clinging on to anything they could.

In the end we should have finished our chances, Firmino had the chance when he could have easily taken a touch probably should have been our first goal, his header was a little more difficult.

Chelsea scored a free kick that shouldn't have been, as always when we play Chelsea the ref sees Hazard running fast and when he falls over it surely must be a foul. So focused on watching Costa's dives that he forgot about Hazard... and then he gave Costa a penalty for diving anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Talk about Daniel, the previous manager not signing Brady etc etc ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Just seen the Arsenal result is it February all ready ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

In the end we should have finished our chances, Firmino had the chance when he could have easily taken a touch probably should have been our first goal, his header was a little more difficult.

His first chance was a sitter. He probably even had time to take a touch and hit it. Second one in fairness to him he had try and get some pace on the ball. Really needed to head it into the ground where the wet surface might have skidded it into the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    They actually do though. What you'll see 99% of the time (at all levels from schoolboy upwards), is the ref getting the thumbs up/nod from the keeper, then blowing.

It's exactly why for a quick free the attacker has to say it straight away to the ref, or even before the game that its something they might do. Once it's clearly a more standard set piece, everyone is normally allowed to set up accordingly.

I completely disagree.

Been playing amateur, low low level amateur, for ten years and a ref has never looked for a nod from the keeper from anything other than a kick off.

Has anyone seen refs do this? I'm not saying a ref hasn't looked at a keeper before blowing a whistle but to actually get an OK from him? Never seen it.

Also, I was watching a stream but I again have to say it looked like Mig was at his near post when the whistle was blown. In the intervening seconds he walks left. (I'll take this back if a gift emerges)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭54and56

Yep when he blows the whistle MIG is still talking to his wall, he should have waited till he was set

Why? The refs responsibility is to make sure the ball is correctly located and the wall is back the required distance. Once those conditions are in place it's blow the whistle and game on. The ref has no business checking that the defending team, who are being penalised for a foul, are ready to defend the free kick. Any element of surprise should rightly be with the team who were fouled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I haven't been quite as critical of Lovren over the past month, as to be honest, I didn't quite think he was as bad as some made out at all. Tonight he looked very poor to me.

Hopefully he can pick it up again with Matip alongside him once more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

NukaCola wrote: »

Its a lot easier for people to find faults rather than praise the positives.

I thought Can was a passenger tonight.:)

Meth.

Why? The refs responsibility is to make sure the ball is correctly located and the wall is back the required distance. Once those conditions are in place it's blow the whistle and game on. The ref has no business checking that the defending team, who are being penalised for a foul, are ready to defend the free kick. Any element of surprise should rightly be with the team who were fouled.

Yes that's fair enough but do it ever week. When de gea, bravo, Cech is on his post next week blow the whistle before they are ready.

Gerrard, Macca & Rio trying to out Top Top Top Top player each other tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Talk about Daniel, the previous manager not signing Brady etc etc ;)
    giphy.gif

Gerrard, Macca & Rio trying to out Top Top Top Top player each other tonight.

I'd pay BT sport to stop broadcasting.

Knex. wrote: »
    I haven't been quite as critical of Lovren over the past month, as to be honest, I didn't quite think he was as bad as some made out at all. Tonight he looked very poor to me.

Very poor for the penalty sold himself too early then left Costa one on one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

NukaCola wrote: »

I like Can, Henderson and Georgie but the 3 together as a 3 is too slow and ponderous at times agaisnt a packed defense.
    Also, I think Henderson is better forward forward where his energy in closing down the opposition is a great boon.
    His heel or whatever could mean he can't do that anymore and also Klopp has never really played him there.
    His quickness of mind to feet also works better further up.

It's valentines month. Take the time off from football and annoy the fcuk out of your other half and if it's a leap avoid her/him like the plague.

I'm actually glad there's only 3. I can go back to doing **** all now at home and in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Charlie19 wrote: »

Can is the odd man out in that 3 and I say that as a Can fan. Also he's been outta of sorts the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Knex. wrote: »

Lovren hasnt been great at all. But in the last 2 months, has Can?, has Firmino?

And that's is our problem, lack of options for injuries and poor form.

Sakho off to Palace on loan seems done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

How did emre can stay on the pitch tonight? I can't see what exactly he offers us. Thought he was very poor again. I'm disappointed to be honest that klopp didn't go for the kill. Bring on origi with minute to go. Forget about it. Give the lad a chance at least.

Charlie19 wrote: »

Can was poor, especially his passing in the first half but he showed a couple of glimpses of what he brings.

Wouldn't be too critical of Firmino for the header. Great work from Mane to get the ball in but no pace on it. First one is inexcusable though, any footballer playing at that level has to have more composure than that.

Sakho's gone to Palace, loan till end of season.

• Advertisement

Sakho to Palace on loan, so that's our business done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just seen the Arsenal result is it February all ready ?

For Arsenal, every month is February...

I completely disagree.

Been playing amateur, low low level amateur, for ten years and a ref has never looked for a nod from the keeper from anything other than a kick off.

Has anyone seen refs do this? I'm not saying a ref hasn't looked at a keeper before blowing a whistle but to actually get an OK from him? Never seen it.

Also, I was watching a stream but I again have to say it looked like Mig was at his near post when the whistle was blown. In the intervening seconds he walks left. (I'll take this back if a gift emerges)

Really? That's mad, i've had the opposite experience, and have had our keeper screaming at the ref if he blew before he was ready and had the wall lined up etc.

You're right on the whistle thing - it looked like he blew when Mig was at the post, lining up his wall, which in itself is weird. When the ref blew, Mig clearly wasn't in his final settled position - then he compounded matters by strolling off over to the other side of goal.

Delighted for Sakho just pity it's with Big Sam though.

£2m loan fee #NetProfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm actually surprised at how often our players were winning headers from kick outs. Any time Mignolet knocked it up the pitch it seemed like Lallana and Firmino were routinely beating Cahill, Azpilicueta, and Luiz to the ball for the knock down.

Overall, better performance than we've seen all month, good result against the likely champions but a win was well within our grasp.

3 points at the weekend and I'll be delighted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement