Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Wasn't there a quote a few weeks back about how he'd only be sold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Good luck to Sakho in London Country

• martyos121 wrote: »
    Yeah I like Mignolet and he's earned his spot in the team for sure. Having said that, Karius will definitely improve his overall game and being dropped should motivate him to do so. His distribution is brilliant and creates counter attacks for us, which is hugely important with our style of play. The broken hand really hampered him early on and when you see the weak attempts he's made at saving some shots, it looks like he's a bit afraid of re-injuring it. He'll be our number one keeper by the start of next season.

Not sure I could agree with the karius assessment but it's early days. Alot said the same thing about De gea and now he's easily one or if not the best keepers in the world so who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

niallo27 wrote: »
    Fair enough he shouid be more alert. I was just surprised he blows the whistle before he makes the wall.
    The wall was made. Then Coutinho stepped off the right side of it which gave Luiz sight of the post. Mignolet wandered off to his left after the whistle was blown.

Mignolet wasn't focused on the free kick, instead he was talking to the group of players to the left of his area.

If Coutinho hadn't stepped off of the wall then maybe Luiz wouldn't have taken the shot, but Mignolet's gaffe was a gift to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Sending Sakho out on loan is so pointless, just sell him and be fcuking done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Palace have signed a heap of players this window. I'd say Sakho will be class for them.

Did Sakho ever play since changing his number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Not sure I could agree with the karius assessment but it's early days. Alot said the same thing about De gea and now he's easily one or if not the best keepers in the world so who knows

He'll come good yet, there are absolutely no signs of it but he was a good keeper in Germany and you don't turn to crap overnight. He's been solid in our cup games too in fairness, just has to bide his time for another first team opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Was at the game tonight. Funny that people are saying can was poor, he was great from my seat. He won infinite headers and his pressing at times was superb. Some wayward passing for sure but he also drove past Matic a few times creating space.

Milner was super duper goosed at the end. He looked like a very old player in the last 10. The covering hendo does is insane.

The difference mane made to Chelseas shape was so noticeable too. The fear of getting someone isolated at the back caused them to shift across which created so much space on the left. Thank God he's back. It's the priority in the summer to get his backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Sending Sakho out on loan is so pointless, just sell him and be fcuking done with it.

I'd say he has to agree to want to go somewhere permanently first. Clubs probably couldn't agree and we probably looked at 4m for a 5 month loan and sell in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Was at the game tonight. Funny that people are saying can was poor, he was great from my seat. He won infinite headers and his pressing at times was superb. Some wayward passing for sure but he also drove past Matic a few times creating space.

Milner was super duper goosed at the end. He looked like a very old player in the last 10. The covering hendo does is insane.

The difference mane made to Chelseas shape was so noticeable too. The fear of getting someone isolated at the back caused them to shift across which created so much space on the left. Thank God he's back. It's the priority in the summer to get his backup.

Can has has some poor games recently but thought he was decent tonight. Seems better suited to playing the big sides rather than when you have to break down the small sides who just sit back. Milner has begun to look a bit ropey recently. Was skinned 2 or 3 times tonight. Played a lot at left back where you are expected to get up and down the field all game. Maybe just tiring now as the season goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Did Sakho ever play since changing his number?

I'm not actually sure but he definitely missed a few painting jobs because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

On Saturday when Can came on he was the only midfielder who was running to win balls around the Wolves box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sky Sports understands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

As long as Liverpool can now follow it up with a win on Saturday and get points back on either Chelsea and Arsenal or both if they draw

mosstin wrote: »
    I'm not actually sure but he definitely missed a few painting jobs because of it.

Was just wondering cos he made a gesture like offering to sign the old shirt for everyone who bought one, which seems a bit pointless now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

We are infinitely better when teams show some ambition against us. When Chelsea tried to play it out from the back first half our pressing was excellent. Then they went long ball as all the other teams were doing in January.

Can is useless when we are playing teams that will sit. Doesn't suit him at all.

Our lineups need to reflect who we are playing more I think. For example Hull at the weekend, Can should be out for mane with lallana dropping into midfield. Will give us more creativity and faster build up play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

2 million for Sakho and they pay all his wages. This is great, if he has a good spell there we can sell in summer for a lot more. A good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Palace still have to play all of the top 6, let's just hope Sakho is brilliant for them and helps keep out our rivals, but they become so reliant on him that when they have to play us without him it's a walkover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Be nice for Sakho to do well for them, and also fingers crossed Markovic can do something against Utd this weekend. Did well enough I thought in his cameo against them last week, set up Hull's winner.

I still think there's a good player in there somewhere, buried beneath a naive, subdued attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

“They won 13 games in a row. Not bad. Can you imagine how annoying it is when you win 13 games in a row and there is still one team only six points behind?”

True for you Jurgen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I still don't think Lazar got a fair crack at Liverpool.

He made about 30 appearances in all competitions at Liverpool, whilst only being 20 years of age. I didnt see how well he done out on loan, I just think he got a raw deal here. Maybe the £20M price tag, was just too much for some.

............ taking into account where they were at the start of that 13 game run I'd say they're not at all annoyed tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Does anyone else see that Duncan castles fella popping up on Twitter? What a deluded fella obsessed with klopp lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Charlie19 wrote: »

He made about 30 appearances in all competitions at Liverpool, whilst only being 20 years of age. I didnt see how well he done out on loan, I just think he got a raw deal here. Maybe the £20M price tag, was just too much for some.

For me he got a pretty raw deal, ended up mostly being shoved into rwb when Rodgers played that system and that was as good a run he got in the first team. Sending him off to turkey of all places on loan was criminal, a retirement league and we sent a 21 year old pacy winger! His spells there and at sporting pretty much shows he's not up to a whole lot and looks like he will be another kid hyped up but never amounted over much(for now atleast). In the words of Bellamy, I wish him well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Was at the game tonight. Funny that people are saying can was poor, he was great from my seat. He won infinite headers and his pressing at times was superb.

I can't quite work it out. Some people saying Can was poor, some saying he was great. I'm not sure what to make of that. It's as if some people haven't a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

klose wrote: »
    Does anyone else see that Duncan castles fella popping up on Twitter? What a deluded fella obsessed with klopp lately.

Iirc he had a major hair up his ass about united over the last number of months.

Absolute cyst he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Can was outstanding last night - Wijj, Milner and Henderson also put in great shifts - Lallana in and out of it. Thought the two Brazillians had an off night with Firmino looking jaded. I've revised my stance and I think Liverpool will win the 4th place trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Vanolder wrote: »
    Can was outstanding last night - Wijj, Milner and Henderson also put in great shifts - Lallana in and out of it. Thought the two Brazillians had an off night with Firmino looking jaded. I've revised my stance and I think Liverpool will win the 4th place trophy.
    I thought Can did well last night. Yea, his touch isn't perfect, and he sometimes overplays the ball, but he worked very hard as usual and (under instruction I guess) played as an Auxiliary centre forward St times, offering a target for milner and cline to cross into the box. He is probably the most physically imposing player we have, and in a team of small lads, that's important to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I wonder if next season we'll see a Matip/Sakho partnership at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nope, Palace will buy him in the summer if they stay up and he does decently for them
    Simon Mignolet has saved 6 of the 14 PL penalties he's faced at Liverpool, more than any keeper in the club history. (mobile.twitter.com)

Jack Dunn joins Tranmere Rovers on loan (liverpoolfc.com)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Can was a lot of things last night "outstanding" wasn't one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Vicxas wrote: »
    I wonder if next season we'll see a Matip/Sakho partnership at the back.

I would be 100% confident that we will never see Sakho play for Liverpool again.

At least not while Klopp is manager, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Can was a lot of things last night "outstanding" wasn't one of them

He fought for everything, closed them down all night and pressed hard - He was relentless. If you want to nit pick about which superlative fits better, off you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

klose wrote: »
    For me he got a pretty raw deal, ended up mostly being shoved into rwb when Rodgers played that system and that was as good a run he got in the first team. Sending him off to turkey of all places on loan was criminal, a retirement league and we sent a 21 year old pacy winger! His spells there and at sporting pretty much shows he's not up to a whole lot and looks like he will be another kid hyped up but never amounted over much(for now atleast). In the words of Bellamy, I wish him well...
    Charlie19 wrote: »

He has done nothing of note on his loan spell and shipped back.

He has done nothing of note at Liverpool,

If he was good enough it would shine through and he would be played.

This sympathy of 'raw deals' for players who have not been good enough is not right.

IMO "Lallana in and out of it. Thought the two Brazillians had an off night" is a direct result of the midfielders playing behind them.

"Can was outstanding last night - Wijj.......... and Henderson also put in great shifts" but they didn't & don't create enough chances for the front 3, there's nothing linking last nights midfield 3 to the forward 3.

The midfield 3 can't all do great while the front 3 have a sh1t night unless the front 3 miss loads of chances created by the midfield 3 which wasn't the case.

Lallana in midfield rights most of the issue IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

If Can was outstanding last night the bar has really dropped. How can you be outstanding in midfield with such a sloppy first touch and so many misplaced passes? He ran around a lot and mistimed slightly fewer headers than usual.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Can does loads off the ball, my problem is what he does when he has the ball. We've seen in the past that he can drive forward with the ball and can turn, hold off a player and make space for himself very quickly.
    He's just not really doing that now and playing backwards.
    I realise that sometimes there is no option but to go back, but he is using it as the easy option most of the time.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Well with probably only 5 games between now and the start of April we have zero excuse in terms of tiredness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Can is the most frustrating player with the ball in our team, for me. For a guy who demonstrated plenty of ability previously, its surprising how damn awful he is at the moment.

He was decent last night, but its hard to say he was anything more than that, in all fairness. He worked hard and got himself stuck in, but his play on the ball, or his movement when we have possession, still leaves a lot to be desired.

He looks like he's learning the role as season goes on, in terms of knowing where he's meant to be, as thankfully he doesn't look quite as lost as he did in previous games, but he still lacking confidence on the ball and anything remotely beyond the normal that he tries ends in failure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Knex. wrote: »
    Can is the most frustrating player with the ball in our team, for me. For a guy who demonstrated plenty of ability previously, its surprising how damn awful he is at the moment.

He was decent last night, but its hard to say he was anything more than that, in all fairness. He worked hard and got himself stuck in, but his play on the ball, or his movement when we have possession, still leaves a lot to be desired.

He looks like he's learning the role as season goes on, in terms of knowing where he's meant to be, as thankfully he doesn't look quite as lost as he did in previous games, but he still lacking confidence on the ball and anything remotely beyond the normal that he tries ends in failure.

Just on that point, it's where I have sympathy with him. He's not been with us long and has pretty much played everywhere apart from throwing on a pair of goalie gloves.
    He needs time to settle in a position and make it his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It always seems like the ball is always at a stretch for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Can's biggest strength is carrying the ball forward from deep, he's a big unit he's tough to stop like Yaya Toure. He should do it more as his passing is chronic at the best of times.

His assist for Origi's goal against Dortmund last year was a perfect example, cut them to shreds, pushing the Dortmund back line up, giving Origi space to get in behind.

Slow, pedestrian, sideways passing isn't going to break teams down.

On the game last night, much improved but we still didn't create much. Firmino will be having nightmares about the two chances he scuffed. Felt like 2 points dropped to be honest, we did a great job containing Chelsea.
    The full team is back now, only 15 games to play, any win at all against Hull next to get the confidence up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Can can be very good when playing against a good team, especially away from home, when you need energy and an in-your-face attitude e.g. Man United away.

Against average teams, especially at home, he should not be in the team barring injuries/rotation.

There was one passage of play last night (I know Chelsea are not average) with about 10 minutes to go I think where the ball came to him on the edge of the Chelsea box and he took about 6 touches within 3 seconds to get the ball out to Clyne on the right. I actually said to my family 'watch how many touches he takes here' - it was like counting the number of times a stone 'skims' the water as you throw it, especially at the end of the throw where the skims come quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Vicxas wrote: »
    It always seems like the ball is always at a stretch for him.

Yeah. I'm hopeful that's because he's still very much learning what he has to do, so there's a lot going on in his head and the game is a bit fast for him at the moment.

The optimist in me would think that when he settles a bit, and becomes more comfortable in that midfield three, that he'll play his natural game and everything will slow down a bit for him and allow him to get his confidence back.

Honestly, at least once a game he reminds me of a young fella being thrown in to a kick about with older lads, and they make a mistake early on so just go into their shell a bit. None more so than the game he was DM when Henderson was out.

Regardless, I think he'll get out of his funk and be a good player for us, if perhaps not this year. He's just going through some growing pains. He's very unfortunate as well that this is happening at a time when the senior players around him are under performing also, as ideally they would be making things as easy as possible for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

To be fair to Can too, you forget the lad only just turned 23. He's put in a lot more good than bad performances for us. He's been a good signing but like others said, I'd question Klopps judgement on him been an automatic starter for every game.

Knex. wrote: »

The optimist in me would think that when he settles a bit, and becomes more comfortable in that midfield three................

With Mane back Lallana will surely drop back to midfield so that leaves two from Hendo, Can & Wij to be starters and one on the bench.

I agree that Can needs/deserves time to settle in the role ideally but as you say mightn't be this season.
    rob316 wrote: »
    To be fair to Can too, you forget the lad only just turned 23. He's put in a lot more good than bad performances for us. He's been a good signing but like others said, I'd question Klopps judgement on him been an automatic starter for every game.

With Mane back that might well change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Can worked hard but when you are looking at getting Champions League positions you need to add a bit more to your game, especially in a Klopps system where all the midfielders are expected to contribute in the final third

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement