Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

klose wrote: »
    Does anyone else see that Duncan castles fella popping up on Twitter? What a deluded fella obsessed with klopp lately.

You mean Man Utd fan Duncan Castles? Would take what he says with a pinch of salt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Augeo wrote: »
    With Mane back Lallana will surely drop back to midfield so that leaves two from Hendo, Can & Wij to be starters and one on the bench.

I agree that Can needs/deserves time to settle in the role ideally but as you say mightn't be this season.

With Mane back that might well change.

Doubtful, I'd say Can is above Wiji in the pecking order.

rob316 wrote: »
    Doubtful, I'd say Can is above Wiji in the pecking order.

Yeah, might well be the case. If Wij' can't get in first 11 to play in the two CM positions that's a "problem" in itself IMO
    £23m spent on a near 26 year old that is back up to an improving yet to be 23 year old........... can't imagine he was bought not to be in the first 11 this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

You mean Man Utd fan Duncan Castles? Would take what he says with a pinch of salt

He is a jose lover not a united fan. United were on the receiving end of him for the past number of years he gets his name from been a wind up merchant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I wish we had Kante. All this midfield talk would be negated. He's probably the best midfield tackler in the game at the minute.

His passing is hit and miss though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

jayo26 wrote: »
    He is a jose lover not a united fan. United were on the receiving end of him for the past number of years he gets his name from been a wind up merchant.

Agreed, he's a meat puppet. Jose's very own Sean Spicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hopefully now we won't be seeing him as a pundit anymore although he was a top top top top top top top top top pundit.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/826740288001605634
    Day 1⃣ of Steven Gerrard's new role at the Academy! ⚽

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Can does loads off the ball, my problem is what he does when he has the ball. We've seen in the past that he can drive forward with the ball and can turn, hold off a player and make space for himself very quickly.
    He's just not really doing that now and playing backwards.
    I realise that sometimes there is no option but to go back, but he is using it as the easy option most of the time.

He even took a throw in last night and went backwards. :pac:

Someone mentioned it a while ago but his games should be cherry picked. He can't really contribute many charging runs when there's a wall of 10 players in front of him. And it's no coincidence that he improved when Chelsea actually tried to play and he had a bit of space. He doesn't contribute enough against teams camped in their own box (would have a similar complaint about Wijnaldum) but I'd be keeping him next year as he'd do a good job in Europe and against the bigger teams, or even the likes of United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Turtyturd wrote: »
    He even took a throw in last night and went backwards. :pac:

Someone mentioned it a while ago but his games should be cherry picked. He can't really contribute many charging runs when there's a wall of 10 players in front of him. And it's no coincidence that he improved when Chelsea actually tried to play and he had a bit of space. He doesn't contribute enough against teams camped in their own box (would have a similar complaint about Wijnaldum) but I'd be keeping him next year as he'd do a good job in Europe and against the bigger teams, or even the likes of United.

Hard to maintain form if only played against the big teams and United, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I don't think can is in first choice 11 however if one of the midfield or attackers is not available he is next in line thus getting a lot of game time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-needed-big-signing-were-9733857

We were 'deep in negotiations' with Draxler before Klopp pulled the plug apparently.

Liverpool Echo writer David Maddock (not one that I'm familiar with I must say) claims we had a good window.
    The manager explained privately he has been backed by his board who were prepared to pay whatever it took to get his signings...but he didn't want anyone who wasn't totally committed to the Liverpool cause, or simply to sign someone just to appease the fans.

So yes, life may have been simpler for Klopp had he sanctioned a move for a player such as Holland international Quincy Promes, who he likes, but what was the point of signing a player now for more money, when it will take him six months to settle into the Premier League. Better surely, to get a pre-season under his belt?

However, that makes no sense.

Surely, six months AND a pre-season means he's ready for next season? There's always the risk of a summer signing not being up to scratch until the middle of the season. Pick him up in January and you give time to settle, gel, etc.

Sure, I get the argument about paying more in January, but you have to go with what the market dictates.

I can get on board with the suggestions that we shouldn't have moved for anyone (I disagree - we're just short on numbers in some roles) but this is not a logical argument from the Echo, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

hefferboi wrote: »
    I wish we had Kante. All this midfield talk would be negated. He's probably the best midfield tackler in the game at the minute.

His passing is hit and miss though.

He's the reason Leicester won the league, and he's the main reason Chelsea will win it this season. Forget Costa. Kanté is the man.

It's almost meaningless that his passing is hit and miss. The amount of counter attacks he negates with his energy in defence is astounding. He clogs up the centre of the pitch, forcing you to have to cross the ball, even if you don't want to. Then the CBs clean up and often look a million bucks. Look how shít and slow Morgan and Huth look now because teams aren't forced to just cross the ball onto their foreheads.

If we had him, we'd win the league. He's that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i admire klopps attitude,must be very secure in himself and his ability to stand up to the pressure to buy buy buy from fans . he's gonna do it his way.

also,i really wish can and especially divock watched costa tapes, not on his scoring,his general bastardness ,both are far too timid for the size and build of them,they need some anger in their play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Talking of Costa being a b@stard on the pitch.. thats what our boys are missing, a bit of "they're the enemy for 90mins" mentality. Matip at one stage helped Costa off the ground and gave him a hand up. I was shouting leave the f*cker there!! Two minutes previously he had been rolling around trying to win a free kick off you !!! Also, thought it very strange Costa went up to mignolet after the penalty and gave him a slap on the shoulder and a thumbs up for saving it. If I was a chelsea fan I'd be balling him out of it!!!

Just a note on Klopp and the fourth official. Thought that was very bad. If it was mourinho, wenger etc who'd have done that we'd be looking for a ban. I dont know if there's one coming, but I dont like to see that from any Liverpool manager. Didnt reflect well on him tbh.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Talking of Costa being a b@stard on the pitch.. thats what our boys are missing, a bit of "they're the enemy for 90mins" mentality. Matip at one stage helped Costa off the ground and gave him a hand up. I was shouting leave the f*cker there!! Two minutes previously he had been rolling around trying to win a free kick off you !!! Also, thought it very strange Costa went up to mignolet after the penalty and gave him a slap on the shoulder and a thumbs up for saving it. If I was a chelsea fan I'd be balling him out of it!!!

I think that he was mocking Mig because Mig rushed out of the box towards the ref and was shouting about Costa to the ref.

I think that he was mocking Mig because Mig rushed out of the box towards the ref and was shouting about Costa to the ref.

I dunno, he looked pretty genuine to me !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Just re-watched our goal there. What a sweet pass from Hendo, caught it beautifully.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I dunno, he looked pretty genuine to me !!
    I was watching the game with commentary from Lee Dixon I think it was and he said something happened off camera.

It was also hilarious commentary, to paraphrase: Defo a peno, definitely, you can see here that Matip gets a touch on the ball first, then catches Costa.

Now surely if Matip got the ball first, then it's not a peno.

Will probably still get some saying FSG aren't backing Klopp.

Think the line about mentality and buying into the cause is the important one there. He's been building it since pretty much day one and a player could have bags of talent but if their priority is seeing themselves in the headlines or on the scoresheet rather than putting in a shift for the team they aren't much use to him.

Just a note on Klopp and the fourth official. Thought that was very bad. If it was mourinho, wenger etc who'd have done that we'd be looking for a ban. I dont know if there's one coming, but I dont like to see that from any Liverpool manager. Didnt reflect well on him tbh.

when exactly did this happen? Seen on Twitter that it was after the equaliser, but almost certain BT showed it after the peno save.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Klopp surely will get a touchline ban! Disgraceful carry on!

If Jose had done that, you Liverpool "folllowers" would have went into meltdown

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

On the one hand you're saying Matip should be more like Costa but then you're saying Costa did the same thing! Make your mind up!!

Meh, not like he poked him the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I think it looked worse than it actually was, it was after the peno save, Klopp said to him "nobody can beat us" , you can see that the fourth official is actually smiling. Klopp personally apologised to him after and got the reply "It's ok I love your passion". It's all about context really.

I think it looked worse than it actually was, it was after the peno save, Klopp said to him "nobody can beat us" , you can see that the fourth official is actually smiling. Klopp personally apologised to him after and got the reply "It's ok I love your passion". It's all about context really.

Would you say the same if this was Jose or Wenger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Would you say the same if this was Jose or Wenger?

If the fourth official was smiling then Yes. It was fairly jovial if you asked me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Every time Klopp does anything it's a load of "wahhh what if Jose/Pep/Wenger did that?!?!?"

On the one hand you're saying Matip should be more like Costa but then you're saying Costa did the same thing! Make your mind up!!

Matip should be a bit more of a b@stard. And apparently the Costa thumbs up was him being a b@stard. So yeah. B@stards all round please.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    when exactly did this happen? Seen on Twitter that it was after the equaliser, but almost certain BT showed it after the peno save.

Yeah it was after the penalty save. Shouting into the face of the fourth official.
    Even if he did shout "nobody can beat us" I don't think its appropriate behaviour for our manager. You'd wenger pushing the the official last week, Klopp in his face this week, Mourinho a repeat offender. The 4th official is probably the sh*ttiest job in football.

• Advertisement

Every time Klopp does anything it's a load of "wahhh what if Jose/Pep/Wenger did that?!?!?"

Do you expect anything else. Utd and Liverpool fans (on here) nearly prefer their rivals losing than their own team winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Costa does this a lot after a good interception, save, tackle whatever. After a match the CB he has had most tussles with is normally the one he seeks out to shake hands with first. Normally it is ignored in the rush to hang him over something but he is actually reasonably sporting in the modern context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Do you expect anything else. Utd and Liverpool fans (on here) nearly prefer their rivals losing than their own team winning.

If you have anything useful to contribute to this thread you are doing a fantastic job of concealing it.

Milkers wrote: »
    If you have anything useful to contribute to this thread you are doing a fantastic job of concealing it.

Not for the first time either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Now surely if Matip got the ball first, then it's not a peno.

Really? So after you get a touch on the ball it's then impossible to impede/foul an opponent? For how long does the moratorium last?

Your statement implies if you touch the ball first you are then free to obstruct or otherwise foul an opponent with complete immunity which obviously isn't true. Matip may have touched the ball but he hadn't put it into the stand so Costa was still trying and had a very good chance of regaining control of the ball in order to shoot but after Matip touched the ball he was judged by the ref to have clipped Costa's knee resulting in a foul and peno.

I think it was soft enough and Costa could have stayed on his feet but he didn't and got the peno. If Matip had put the ball out of play or booted it upfield beyond where Costa could have had a chance to regain control and generate a scoring opportunity before clipping Costa's knee the ref would not have deemed it a foul and peno.

But that is part of what football/rivalry/competition is about.

We want to see ourselves suceed and our rivals not suceed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I've no idea what you were trying to achieve here. I doubt you do either.

Why would you put followers in quotations, even if correctly spelled? Your hypothesis makes no sense, Sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭Damien360

I didn't see the game last night and no highlights other than the goals and the missed penalty. As things have calmed down, how did we play and did we deserve the result on the balance of the whole match. Stats say we had possession but that's just stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

You're confusing me, are we fans or '"followers" (on here)?

Yeah it was after the penalty save. Shouting into the face of the fourth official.
    Even if he did shout "nobody can beat us" I don't think its appropriate behaviour for our manager. You'd wenger pushing the the official last week, Klopp in his face this week, Mourinho a repeat offender. The 4th official is probably the sh*ttiest job in football.

Think it was just a release of emotion. It shouldn't have been a peno and I reckon he seen it as justice being done. I can see why some thought it was ott but I love seeing that passion on the sideline.

Agree about the 4th official role. They bear the brunt of stupid referee decisions and expected to provide an explanation when even the ref himself would struggle to do so, and they're guaranteed to get an earful from one side no matter what way the decision goes.

Really? So after you get a touch on the ball it's then impossible to impede/foul an opponent? For how long does the moratorium last?

Your statement implies if you touch the ball first you are then free to obstruct or otherwise foul an opponent with complete immunity which obviously isn't true. Matip may have touched the ball but he hadn't put it into the stand so Costa was still trying and had a very good chance of regaining control of the ball in order to shoot but after Matip touched the ball he was judged by the ref to have clipped Costa's knee resulting in a foul and peno.

I think it was soft enough and Costa could have stayed on his feet but he didn't and got the peno. If Matip had put the ball out of play or booted it upfield beyond where Costa could have had a chance to regain control and generate a scoring opportunity before clipping Costa's knee the ref would not have deemed it a foul and peno.

The general rule as I understand it is if you win the ball first, then you win the ball. There can be a coming together after that.
    The excepetions are when you do it from behind or when you leave your feet then it becomes dangerous play. And there is something in the rule about momentum as well.
    I'm not saying it wasn't a pen last night, maybe I didn't convey it correctly, but my implication was that Dixon while commentating was ademant it was a peno, but actually when he was describing it with the slo-mo, he was describing it as Matip winning the ball....but still a pen.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »

Why would you put followers in quotations, even if correctly spelled? .............

I reckon dundalkfc has a big horn for the ole LOI and is looking down on folks who support foreign teams.

Yawnies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Augeo wrote: »
    I reckon dundalkfc has a big horn for the ole LOI and is looking down on folks who support foreign teams.

Yawnies

Oh yay, these guys are always fun.....

didnt see game live,just finished watching the recording. few points,our best performance in a while by a distance.

people slating can after last nigt,ive no idea why,im not his biggest fan but he gave everything last night,couple of wayward passes.

lovren should not be given the responsibility to use the ball intelligently ,like playing from the back,or running from defence with it,he cant do it. he mad one error last ngt,for the peno.

mig made ammends,otherwise he hadnt much to do.

our worst player was matip,bad game from him.

phill is well out of form,worrying.

bobby is our most consistent player with gini, bobby missed a sitter ,may have bobbled.. but he is 100 % every game and gives us such energy.

gini was only outshone last night by kante,who is the signing of the season for me. similar players,kante is makelele mk2 ,and then some.

should have a good push now for top 4,hopefully at utds expense ,no excuses for tiredness till end of season.

also, the foul on hazard for the goal,was as much contact on milner by moses in the penalty box and nothing,webb said it himself,it woulda been a free outside the box, soft pen it would have been ,but the officials are awful this season,that free out for offside from the throw in was unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Hendersons goal saving challenge on the 87th minute was unreal......Pedro showed just enough of the ball and Hendo got it spot on...

https://cdn-e1.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/x9cry.mp4?token=1487147603_6e8cd3735f7ff162427b48e81c635b3076e8ba64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

5starpool wrote: »
    Well with probably only 5 games between now and the start of April we have zero excuse in terms of tiredness.

Rustiness......:pac:

NukaCola wrote: »
    Hendersons goal saving challenge on the 87th minute was unreal......Pedro showed just enough of the ball and Hendo got it spot on...

https://cdn-e1.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/x9cry.mp4?token=1487147603_6e8cd3735f7ff162427b48e81c635b3076e8ba64

I thought Pedro just fluffed it initially. Really was a great tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

The is a guy on the coaching staff that looks like Klopp...

Liverpool-v-Tottenham-Hotspur-EFL-Cup-Fourth-Round.jpg

Seems Lucas can't handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I concur with others in that I did grimace a bit when I saw Klopp berate that 4th official, I have seen someone post about context so I concede that I don't know the whole story, just in isolation it looked bad imo, I feel Klopp is better than that and doesn't need to lower himself to it. Leave that chit to Mourinho and what not, rise above it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I love angry Klopp and I hope we see more of him since we don't have a dirty b@stard on the pitch getting in the ref's face at least angry Klopp is getting some officials face to get the point across that the on field officials are having a mare.

Fun Bobby tried getting in the ref's face last night and got a booking for it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement