Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

spockety wrote: »
    I don't think Suarez is unobtainable.

He would have a willingness.
    Barca would have a price.

We aren't going to pay 100m for a 30 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Suarez spent most of his life trying to get to Barcelona, he's not going to come back to Liverpool.

Liverpool should be searching for the next Suarez/Alonso/Mascherano...

SlickRick said it already, the squad isn't good enough and it's not going to get magically better if Liverpool manage to scrape into the Champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Stab*City wrote: »
    I wonder would Marek Hamsik and Dries Martens fit in our team. They looked really awesome at the weekend. Or are they even available.

Mertens in particular looks a fantastic player, he'd be going for around 40 million in the summer, great player to watch with a good goal scoring record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Would be nice to have benteke now with the way we have resorted to crosses from wide
    But the main advantage of having him is teams would be conscious of him and their full back wouldn't be defending as narrow which would hopefully leave a bit more space centrally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

duffman13 wrote:
    Mertens in particular looks a fantastic player, he'd be going for around 40 million in the summer, great player to watch with a good goal scoring record

With the state of current transfer fees, I'd say more like in the region of 60m for Mertens

3 pts from 15 is really utterly dismal form, especially when you consider the last league game of 2016 we beat Man City and were than 2nd in the PL.

If you back to 2014/2015 and the early part of 2015/2016 you won't find 3 pts from 5 consecutive games :(

Might have to go back the the Woy days ............ I'm not including the cup games as I reckjon we more or less punted both of the cups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

We were clearly fueled by the blood of celebrities in 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Grayditch wrote: »
    We were clearly fueled by the blood of celebrities in 2016.

*Sigh*

I'll get my knife.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

x43r0 wrote: »
    *Sigh*

It's all gone completely balls-up since you stopped betting against us!

Stick on a few more 50's to get us out of the slump ya tight git! ;)

Just looking at the pts etc, with 14 games to go 1.5 ppg would have us on 67 points.

That 21 points could be 5 wins, 6 draws and 3 losses.

6 wins, 5 draws and 3 losses would give us 23 points which is 1.64ppg....total 69pts

7 wins, 4 draws and 3 losses would give us 25 points which is 1.79ppg... total 71pts

8 wins, 4 draws and 2 losses would give us 28 points which is 2 ppg... total 74pts

We do really need to start getting points on the board again to keep top 4 hopes alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I thought 80pts was a given this season. Thought we'd reach it easily .

I thought 80pts was a given this season. Thought we'd reach it easily .

10 wins and 4 draws and we are there bud :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

x43r0 wrote: »
    *Sigh*

I'll get my knife.....

Start with the 'celebrities' on masterchef, dancing with the Stars, big brother etc. And if it doesn't appear to be making much difference to our ppg just keep going. Can't be sure til you finish the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Now that we are back to a game a week with everyone fit it would be shocking not to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Now that we are back to a game a week with everyone fit it would be shocking not to improve.

It would be shocking only because it can't really get much worse.

more or less impossible not to improve from 3 pts in 5 games I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I'm heading over for the Spurs match on Saturday. Was half thinking of switching and watching Tranmere instead but it's been a life long love affair and I'm not ready to give up just yet! It could be a corner turned and all that. Cant get any worse. Can it?

YNWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Are we all still grumpy?

Good.

Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Vicxas wrote: »
    Are we all still grumpy?

Good.

Me too.

Yes it's quite annoying how we've capitulated so badly and gone from title challengers to being absolutely hopeless and looking like finishing 6th at best, the way we're going Everton might pip us to that too.

• Advertisement

Yes it's quite annoying how we've capitulated so badly and gone from title challengers to being absolutely hopeless and looking like finishing 6th at best, the way we're going Everton might pip us to that too.

Im hoping at the end of the season Klopp will be like this:

95863-roll-safe.jpg

Chances are itll be like this though.....

c4jt321.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I don't think we would sign him but Lacazette say he wants out of Lyon in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Lacazette's another attitude I can't see Klopp wanting to work with.

Chances are itll be like this though.....

I'd say he knows what's needed alright, hopefully he'll settle for players that are 70% fits if the ideal ones can't be found/bought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭chicorytip

noodler wrote: »
    We aren't going to pay 100m for a 30 year old.

Lukaku would be a good alternative if such a move would even be contemplated. The Dembele kid at Celtic is interesting even if not an out and out striker.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Lukaku would be a good alternative if such a move would even be contemplated. The Dembele kid at Celtic is interesting even if not an out and out striker.

Not a hope, Everton would rather let him die than move across.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lacazette is till banging them in and would be available for a CL side at not too crazy money.

http://www.flashscore.com/player/lacazette-alexandre/YegtWFr9/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Talisman wrote: »
    I would counter that a DM like Kante/Wanyama would get us performing like a Klopp team. A proper DM makes a massive difference because it gives the team a platform to build on.

We have a group of midfield players who are at their best when they have room to play. We're missing a player in the middle that will stop the opposition in their tracks and get our tippy tappy players into the game.

We didn't seem to be missing them much in the first half of the season.
    Maybe we'd lose less often, but if you've aspirations towards the top of the table, draws aren't much good.

Chelsea don't have much in the way of volume of goals, but they do have very high frequency. They've still scored in all but about 2 league games.

We had our defence sorted from the word go with Benitez. We never won the league because up front we didn't have the firepower. We didn't have cover and we didn't have different kinds of threat.

Bren gets the perfect attack force, doesn't bother with defending and nearly wins the league after relatively minimal time to build a squad, at a time when we can't attract anywhere near the same quality of players and are much weaker relative to our rivals.
    In 2005, Benitez brought in Momo Sissoko to do that job for the team. Eventually he was upgraded upon with the signing of Javier Mascherano. Since Mascherano's departure, Lucas has been our only midfielder suited to the role and injuries robbed him of his mobility. Henderson has been playing the role but it's not his natural game so we get caught out a lot.

A Momo-like player would be a complete non-starter for us because he couldn't pass.
    We're an attacking team who average about 65% possession or something, so for me the passing is the most vital thing.
    Someone has to do it and it's not really either of Lallana or Wijnaldum.

I wouldn't be opposed to benching Wijnaldum and putting Hendo further up the pitch, with a DM brought in. I think it would improve us.

The opportunity cost is the only issue.
    Will that signing be top class or at least, will the partnership with Hendo be better than Hendo's with Gini?

It's easy to talk about the likes of Leicester getting Kante, but for every signing like that who goes from nothing to world-class at a lower level club, I'm sure there's 50 lads who you wouldn't want within 50 miles of Melwood.
    With Kante in the lineup it's like Leicester/Chelsea had/have 12 players in the team. He's not a particularly aggressive player but he reads the game and covers every blade of grass to shut down the opposition.

Tottenham have Victor Wanyama to perform the role for them and they have the best defensive record in the league this season. The only reason they are not challenging Chelsea for the title this season is because of their inability to convert chances while they were without Kane earlier in the season. During that period they didn't lose a single game, but picked up 4/5 successive draws.

In contrast when you take the goal threat out of the Liverpool team you start to worry about the defensive lapses costing you games. A proper mobile DM player in the team means Emre Can is not goofing around with stupid back passes to nobody. Nor do the opposition get a clean run at our centre backs which is something that has plagued our team for years.

With a stable defensive base, it takes the pressure off the other players because they know that if a pass doesn't come off our defenders are not going to be over run in a matter of seconds. Without the fear of panic, the tippy tappy football can flourish, and goals may follow when the opposition tire.

From my perspective, I see the ultimate failure being that the goal threat is gone from the team.
    If we're failing in attack to the extent which we currently are, a better defence maybe nicks us a few draws at home to Swansea or away to Hull.
    I'm not arsed about us doing that.

You could even see with Spurs. They stopped being able to attack and great, they got a few draws, but that's what killed their chances at the title this season.

I haven't seen fear be an issue for us in our recent struggles.
    I've seen a lack of skillsets to open a locked defence, I've seen a lack of players in the areas where they can damage the opposition, I've seen a dogged determination to play the ball through the middle despite there being 2000 defenders in the way, we like booting a load of crosses in despite being a team of midgets and nobody's ever in the box at the time anyway.

Maybe Kante or someone like that is so good that he really can hoover up everything coming at our back 2 (because the full backs are usually around the edge of the box), but even if that DM really was so legendarily good they could hold the fort pretty much by themselves, I don't see how that affects the central issue, which is that we're putting ourselves in situations where we're giving the ball away where we can be counter-attacked and there's no chance of having any payoff for that risk, because our attack is utterly static and clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I still think our goalkeeper is by far the biggest issue. If I had a choice of a world class gk or a world class DM. I'd choose a gk all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Clap clap Sherlock! What gave it away....maybe me calling you Mike was it.

And I'm not a re reg like I said long time lurker. Lurking long enough to know that you re reg from Mike65 to auld Harry now ;-)

What a truly strange post. First you condescendingly affirm that Harry is right and quickly follow that up by claiming he is in fact wrong. You must be an absolute nightmare to have an argument with. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Gbear wrote: »
    We didn't seem to be missing them much in the first half of the season.
    Maybe we'd lose less often, but if you've aspirations towards the top of the table, draws aren't much good.

Chelsea don't have much in the way of volume of goals, but they do have very high frequency. They've still scored in all but about 2 league games.

We had our defence sorted from the word go with Benitez. We never won the league because up front we didn't have the firepower. We didn't have cover and we didn't have different kinds of threat.

Bren gets the perfect attack force, doesn't bother with defending and nearly wins the league after relatively minimal time to build a squad, at a time when we can't attract anywhere near the same quality of players and are much weaker relative to our rivals.

A Momo-like player would be a complete non-starter for us because he couldn't pass.
    We're an attacking team who average about 65% possession or something, so for me the passing is the most vital thing.
    Someone has to do it and it's not really either of Lallana or Wijnaldum.

I wouldn't be opposed to benching Wijnaldum and putting Hendo further up the pitch, with a DM brought in. I think it would improve us.

The opportunity cost is the only issue.
    Will that signing be top class or at least, will the partnership with Hendo be better than Hendo's with Gini?

It's easy to talk about the likes of Leicester getting Kante, but for every signing like that who goes from nothing to world-class at a lower level club, I'm sure there's 50 lads who you wouldn't want within 50 miles of Melwood.

From my perspective, I see the ultimate failure being that the goal threat is gone from the team.
    If we're failing in attack to the extent which we currently are, a better defence maybe nicks us a few draws at home to Swansea or away to Hull.
    I'm not arsed about us doing that.

You could even see with Spurs. They stopped being able to attack and great, they got a few draws, but that's what killed their chances at the title this season.

I haven't seen fear be an issue for us in our recent struggles.
    I've seen a lack of skillsets to open a locked defence, I've seen a lack of players in the areas where they can damage the opposition, I've seen a dogged determination to play the ball through the middle despite there being 2000 defenders in the way, we like booting a load of crosses in despite being a team of midgets and nobody's ever in the box at the time anyway.

Maybe Kante or someone like that is so good that he really can hoover up everything coming at our back 2 (because the full backs are usually around the edge of the box), but even if that DM really was so legendarily good they could hold the fort pretty much by themselves, I don't see how that affects the central issue, which is that we're putting ourselves in situations where we're giving the ball away where we can be counter-attacked and there's no chance of having any payoff for that risk, because our attack is utterly static and clueless.
    I think that would be the plan. If we qualify for the CL, Dahoud/similar would be brought in for that job and Henderson moved further up. Having seen a bit of him and read a few reports about Dahoud, I reckon Klopp has us set up fairly close to what he wants us to do and will target better players, maybe 3-4 starters to replace a few of our first 11 and the current starters as the reserves/rotated players.

And Dahoud seems to have an eye for a pass as well and would seem a good upgrade on Henderson, better as DM and able to move the ball better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

United cruising 2-0 at HT. we're out of the top and and a point ahead of united come this evening .

We're in free fall and Klopp needs to make some changes to stop the rot .

Just going to throw this out there but is there any call for Gerrard to pull on the shirt until the end of the season to give morale in the squad a booste ?

Hahahaha, that's the spirit Lord Troll, a few gags to keep spirits up is just what's needed round here! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I have watched quite a bit of Dahoud and to say he is an instant upgrade on Henderson is not true at this time. I see an awful lot of potential but at this moment Henderson is a better player and as a Dm.

Saying that I would welcome the signing as think he is going to be a very good player and would give us the option to play Henderson in cm/am also Dahoud is well capable of playing more attacking himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

mormank wrote: »
    What a truly strange post. First you condescendingly affirm that Harry is right and quickly follow that up by claiming he is in fact wrong. You must be an absolute nightmare to have an argument with. :rolleyes:

Whatever Ted I was mocking Mikes detective skills! I did deliberately call him Mike after all when he tried to extract the urine out of me and like I said I ain't a re reg otherwise i think a mod would have banned me?

But do you know what is a truly strange post somebody trying to call me out for being a re reg when he is actually in fact a re reg himself. The mind boggles! But even stranger that you decide to pick my post apart 24 hours later rather than address Harry/Mikes truly strange post.

God Augeo really was right about ye lads coming "strong" for me eh. Very cliquey lads.

If you want to talk football I'm more than happy to discuss with you on here or if you wish to continue your amateur psychoanalysis you can pm me and I'll happily assist you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Whatever Ted I was mocking Mikes detective skills! I did deliberately call him Mike after all when he tried to extract the urine out of me and like I said I ain't a re reg otherwise i think a mod would have banned me?

Rereg's are fine if you haven't previously been banned afaik, I think Harry was just asking were you a rereg as he didn't recognise you and you called him Mike. I'm sure he only asked because you opened your account well after he closed his Mike account which means your long term lurking would begin before you even registered. Nothing wrong with that either btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Some funny Panda gif's to cheer this place up a bit.

tumblr_m0g4q6lj321rqfhi2o1_500.gif
    tumblr_mgxvhkkJeE1qcpwmwo6_r1_400.gif
    cutest-panda-gifs-babies.gif
    nYZmN1W.gif

NukaCola wrote: »
    Rereg's are fine if you haven't previously been banned afaik, I think Harry was just asking were you a rereg as he didn't recognise you and you called him Mike. I'm sure he only asked because you opened your account well after he closed his Mike account which means your long term lurking would begin before you even registered. Nothing wrong with that either btw.

Yep like I have had to confirm several times on this thread already since I started posting I am a long term lurker. Have seen plenty of quality posters come and go in that time on this thread.

I won't quote the posts as they're fairly large.... but talk above of benching Wij, hendo further forward & dahoud or someone like that in..... When fit Can & Hendo play as the midfield two of late.

Don't think we will see another CM come in unless Can is sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Yep like I have had to confirm several times on this thread already since I started posting I am a long term lurker which. Have seen plenty of quality posters come and go in that time on this thread.

Doubt it, you don't go from a long time lurker to posting as much and the way you do, you kind of dip your toes in the water not go doing bellyflops, cards etc, just saying like

sword1 wrote: »
    Doubt it, you don't go from a long time lurker to posting as much and the way you do, you kind of dip your toes in the water not go doing bellyflops, cards etc, just saying like

I lurked for years bud :)

Dominic is registered 2 years, only noticed him post this weekend.

Very welcome he is too

sword1 wrote: »

Jaysus Christ lads is this a deliberate ploy to bait me into getting banned!?

More amateur psychoanalysis. That Sisters nickname must have really ruffled a few feathers! Let it go lad let it go.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    I won't quote the posts as they're fairly large.... but talk above of benching Wij, hendo further forward & dahoud or someone like that in..... When fit Can & Hendo play as the midfield two of late.

Don't think we will see another CM come in unless Can is sold.

I think that's mostly when Can plays though as he seems to nearly naturally occupy the same space as Henderson. I still think our best midfield at the minute is Henderson, wijnaldum and Lallana and when all tgreen play they seem to have well defined roles as DM, CM and AM if were to put a name on them

Jaysus Christ lads is this a deliberate ploy to bait me into getting banned!?

More amateur psychoanalysis. That Sisters nickname must have really ruffled a few feathers! Let it go lad let it go.

*Raises Hand*

Who are the sisters? Are they hot? Are they in my area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Would be silly not to aim for 2nd when we are 4 pts off of it and we play Spurs and Arsenal at Anfield. If we win those two games it puts us in a great position. We have been in this position with Rodgers where there is a chance to go for a position but instead we just let the season fizzle out.
    I expect us to fight hard for that 2nd spot now, if the players let the season fizzle out now I'd be pissed off.

I am not saying that we shouldn't aim for it.

I am saying that you are off your tits if you really expect that we will get it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

*Raises Hand*

Who are the sisters? Are they hot? Are they in my area?

The sisters are a flexible group, anyone can be one. If you don't agree with someone, you call them a sister, simple.

EDIT: That first line is some prime Ohh Matron material.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I think that's mostly when Can plays though as he seems to nearly naturally occupy the same space as Henderson. I still think our best midfield at the minute is Henderson, wijnaldum and Lallana and when all tgreen play they seem to have well defined roles as DM, CM and AM if were to put a name on them
    But I feel klopp seems to prefer playing can to wij. I agree with you though.

The sisters are a flexible group, anyone can be one. If you don't agree with someone, you call them a sister, simple.

Not at all bud, there's 3 maybe 4 of them & anyone can most certainly not be one :)

EDIT: That first line is some prime Ohh Matron material.

Ye get called The Sisters I get called a re reg for the exact same description you just outlined above. Meh...

Augeo wrote: »
    But I feel klopp seems to prefer playing can to wij. I agree with you though.

It's pretty concerning that Klopp is persisting with Can over Wij when it's clear himself and Hendo don't work together. Wij even offers a goalscoring threat from midfield never mind the rest of his attributes. Can't remember Can scoring in recent memory?

As far as I recall the weekends game is the first time can has started over Wij.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

It's pretty concerning that Klopp is persisting with Can over Wij when it's clear himself and Hendo don't work together.

Wij has been dropped for Can once in the league though, that being the last game at Hull. You would expect a player like Can to get more game time in the cups especially with a new contract on the table.

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »
    As far as I recall the weekends game is the first time can has started over Wij.

You only have to go as far back as the second leg of the league cup. Can and Hendo started in midfield. Wij came on as a sub later on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement