Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

The lads that like giving off about "cliques" now have their own. Yep. Life comes at you fast.

What clique is this you speak of bud. A couple of like minded folk doesn't make a clique :)

Further up and biased to the left. About 20 yards difference.

So Wij can play there and Can & Hendo can also play in their "roles" ?
    Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Augeo wrote: »
    A friend was an apprenctice when Kewall was at LUFC, he reckons Kewall was very very fond of the £.

Yah I think that's the overriding feeling a lot of fans would have for Kewell especially leeds fans after he joined Galatasray. Don't think they will ever forgive him as there is still a lot of hurt over when those two young leeds fans that were murdered when the club's met a few years previous.

They maintain it was the biggest payday he was being offered at the time and he didn't care about the upset it would cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Can I block a poster using the mobile site? This place hasn't been as bad since caovyn was around.
    It's easier to go to the full site on your mobile at the bottom of the page, click on the poster you want to ignore and select the ignore option and then select the touch site again.

You won't see the original post but you will continue to see any quoted posts of theirs.

Will someone quote this so Pepp can see it?:pac:

Vicxas wrote: »
    The thing I've noticed recently is even on the counter the players will stop and look to pass it sideways or cross field balls. It's like they're afraid to take the run on themselves.
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    We seem to have gotten a bit more timid in our movement and decision making of late...

Those quick one touch attacking layoffs in the final third seem to be gone. The runs and opportunities are still there to do them, but the pass is no longer attempted.

The silver lining is that surely that is something that can be addressed in the training ground.

Simple direction to attempt the pass.... take on the run.....play one touch quick football, if you lose possession than we press ...........

Of course players being more cautious in the final third could be a direct consequence of them knowing half of the "back" 4 are out of position, the GK is dodgy and we have one decent CB......... early on in the season before the multiple fnck ups happened there would presumably have been more confidence in what was behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-rumours-reds-9771027

Ryan Sessegnon from Fulham.......16-year-old.
    Fulham are said to want £15million for the highly-rated left-back.

Lunacy IMO.

Brereton, 17, underlined his potential with a dramatic injury-time winner against Aston Villa to open his Forest account on Saturday.

Liverpool had a £2.5million approach for the Brereton rejected late in the January transfer window.

For a few million Brereton be grand, worst case scenario it's only a few million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

The value for "highly rated" young players is just not there.

15m for a 16 year old is crazy. A world class or talented left back would probably be 30m+? or so. What justification is there in buying a player for 15M at 16 when he has proven absolutely nothing at the highest level and may amount to nothing at worst. Some prices that young defenders go for would get you a decent player able to do the job immediately not 3/4 years down the line. Defenders rarely demand huge fees, I dont see the reason spending big on an unproven defender personally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

What clique is this you speak of bud. A couple of like minded folk doesn't make a clique :)

You seemed to think it did before you became part of one.

I'm done on the subject and you bore me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's easier to go to the full site on your mobile at the bottom of the page, click on the poster you want to ignore and select the ignore option and then select the touch site again.

You won't see the original post but you will continue to see any quoted posts of theirs.

Will someone quote this so Pepp can see it?:pac:

Done!

Can someone else quote just to be sure Pepp can see it :P

Inspiring stuff.

Not very encouraging to say the least. Although I've seen Liverpool linked with Inkai Williams too so maybe not all hope is lost.

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/828898325382447104

;)

I'm done on the subject and you bore me.

Iirc it was you that brought it up bud :) I'm not part of any clique btw.............. are you?
    Going forward if you are almost done on a subject probably not worth bringing it up on a discussion forum :)
    I'd say you are mistaking boredom for confusion too.

brevity wrote: »
    Not very encouraging to say the least................

I can see Klopp turning to Sturridge is an attempt to rescue the season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Any chance we could get a recognised defensive left back instead of being linked with all these teenagers ? Ricardo Rodriguez is still available. Just splash the f*ckin cash. He'd be a fantastic upgrade.

• Advertisement

I can see Klopp turning to Sturridge is an attempt to rescue the season :)

I'd say he'll be turning to a bottle of Jameson

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/frustrated-klopp-snaps-at-his-players-mf7gbs35x

Jürgen Klopp tore into his Liverpool players during half-time of their shambolic defeat by Hull City and questioned their attitude as his patience finally snapped over a season that threatens to unravel.

It was the angriest Klopp’s players have seen him since his arrival at Anfield in October 2015 and is likely to be followed by a shake-up of his team before next Saturday’s crucial showdown with Tottenham Hotspur.

Goalkeeper Simon Mignolet is under pressure once again after his mistake which led to Hull’s first goal with Loris Karius under consideration to come back into the starting line-up.

“Again, that’s another thing where we have to show a reaction,” said Klopp when asked about Mignolet’s form. “That’s causing problems. That’s how it is. For sure, he was not alone around the goal but of course he nearly had it in his hands.

“We cannot ignore this is true and we will not, we don’t lie to ourselves.”

Klopp has struggled to fathom a solution to Liverpool’s alarming down-turn in form which has seen them fail to win a league game in 2017 and exit two cup competitions.

Liverpool entered the year in second place, just six points behind Chelsea, but have gleaned just three points from a possible 15. The ferocity of Klopp’s reprimand feels like a line in the sand, although, worryingly, it elicited only a marginal improvement.

“We don’t look for excuses,” added Klopp. “It’s not that we are trying to blame somebody. We are responsible, the squad, myself especially. We have to work on a solution and we will.”

When Villa are paying £13m for a 29 year old average striker and Wolves are paying £13m for a striker both in the bottom half of the championship of course promising young talents are now going to cost what was once perceived a fortune.

We paid what was considered stupid money at the time for Sterling and that paid off the way it's going now £15m on a 16 year will be noting in a few years.

With Mane in the team there is no need for Clyne to bomb forward on the right, Clyne should be mandated to primarily stay in his own half. Clyne offers little in attack and if he concentrated on defending we'd be all the better for it.

brevity wrote: »
    .............. is likely to be followed by a shake-up of his team before next Saturday’s crucial showdown with Tottenham Hotspur...............

None of last week's starting 11 should be overly pleased with their first half endeavours.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

With Mane in the team there is no need for Clyne to bomb forward on the right, Clyne should be mandated to primarily stay in his own half. Clyne offers little in attack and if he concentrated on defending we'd be all the better for it.

When he does bomb forward, there are times when he is faced with the opposition full back on the half way line. All he has to do is knock the ball down the line and run onto it.....but he never does it. He alsways stops and turns back. It's very frustrating to watch.

Or when he gets the ball just inside the final third and cuts inside.....but then looks backwards rather than try to slip in one of the runners.

• Advertisement

None of last week's starting 11 should be overly pleased with their first half endeavours.

The problem is that there aren't really that many quality players he can call on.

It's the same problem that Liverpool have had over the last few years. Players are assured of their place because their replacements are either rubbish or too young.

If you look at the benches of Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and City they are much stronger than Liverpool's. That's the difference.

Liverpool need a proper squad.

Indeed, if he can't contribute going forward best thing is to stay back and mind the house. We are desperately out of shape too often and at least if he stayed back he could protect us against counter attacks.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Any chance we could get a recognised defensive left back instead of being linked with all these teenagers ? Ricardo Rodriguez is still available. Just splash the f*ckin cash. He'd be a fantastic upgrade.

It's all too late now though isn't it. Transfer window has come and gone.

It's mad when you actually stand back and look at how our season has imploded. We lose Mane and Matip and it's all gone to shìt.

If we were gonna rely on these guys so much we should have had quality replacements lined up in January. To watch our season fall away so badly and not spend a cent in January is criminal. I realise that the other teams in the top 6 have not bought anyone either but it was obvious half way through January that we were in serious trouble. And I don't buy this crap of no value been around or players are too expensive. Some of our best ever buys in recent memory were bought in January, Suarez, Couthinho, Sturridge.

And now yet again we are being linked with up and coming talent who no doubt if we buy them will disappear in the youths/reserves for a few years before being sold on to Bournemouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If we spend 15m on a 16 year old left back, heads need to be examined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

t9bVZH0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

It's mad when you actually stand back and look at how our season has imploded. We lose Mane and Matip and it's all gone to shìt.

If we were gonna rely on these guys so much we should have had quality replacements lined up in January. To watch our season fall away so badly and not spend a cent in January is criminal. I realise that the other teams in the top 6 have not bought anyone either but it was obvious half way through January that we were in serious trouble. And I don't buy this crap of no value been around or players are too expensive. Some of our best ever buys in recent memory were bought in January, Suarez, Couthinho, Sturridge.

And now yet again we are being linked with up and coming talent who no doubt if we buy them will disappear in the youths/reserves for a few years before being sold on to Bournemouth.

True. Definitely a case to be made for buying big in January if the right player is available. Just as Rodriguez as an example, he's been 'available' for a few transfer windows now and no-one has made a move. Can we not go out, set a 'high-profile' target and buy them. This humming and hawing has seen us lose out on the likes of Dele Alli and God knows who else in the past. Its very annoying when you can see solutions in front of you that seem to be attainable but no movement is made or the chance passes us by. Obviously there's more to it than that and its not as easy as just going out and buying upgrades but at least lets start shopping/looking in the upmarket stores again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We play 4-3-3 , yea right . They only time you see that formation is on the sky sports lineup image.
    We play

________mig______

____Matp___Lovern__
    ________Hen_________
    ____Can_____Wji______
    Clyne____________Milner_
    ____Man_Firmino_Coutinho____

And maybe that's part of our problem. Even Mane and Coutinho come center a lot. Firmino drifts deep for a touch
    It's a 2-8-0 formation for 88% of the play. I would rather see Milner and Cylne defend and two attacking midfielders getting forward beyond the front line. Would also like Coutinho and Mane offering the width with the ability to cut in and supply Firmino and our two attacking midifield players.
    We need runners into box, we need trickery on each side and we need a defence that defends.

When Villa are paying £13m for a 29 year old average striker and Wolves are paying £13m for a striker both in the bottom half of the championship of course promising young talents are now going to cost what was once perceived a fortune.

We paid what was considered stupid money at the time for Sterling and that paid off the way it's going now £15m on a 16 year will be noting in a few years.

Attackers will always go for more though. In and around 30M is still the fee for top defenders, bar the Stones deal which was a bit silly. 15M for a 16 yo LB is madness. Add 5M to that and you should be able to get a quality starting LB without much trouble

NukaCola wrote: »
    Attackers will always go for more though. In and around 30M is still the fee for top defenders, bar the Stones deal which was a bit silly. 15M for a 16 yo LB is madness. Add 5M to that and you should be able to get a quality starting LB without much trouble

I'm not saying it's not madness it absolutely is.

What I am saying is the transfer market as we all new it no longer exists we are now in a era where it's just Monopoly money and until the bubble bursts or FIFA put in transfer/wage caps it will keep getting more ridiculous and so far away from the sport we all love to watch.

Who do you reckon we would get for £20m that would suit the system and be available for transfer?

It's not a dig at you, btw, Nuka. It's very easy to say 'Go out and spend the monet, FFS!' but Klopp has certain requirements for players and isn't going to spend the money unless HE believes the player will function and thrive in the team. It's his head on the block, after all, and he has shown that he wants to build a team from the ground up in both Mainz and Dortmund. And that requires time.

I'm puzzled about people thinking they know more that Klopp about the players to suit the system, tbh. If we were that knowledgeable, it would be us picking the team and not Klopp.

• Advertisement

Who do you reckon we would get for £20m that would suit the system and be available for transfer?

It's not a dig at you, btw, Nuka. It's very easy to say 'Go out and spend the monet, FFS!' but Klopp has certain requirements for players and isn't going to spend the money unless HE believes the player will function and thrive in the team. It's his head on the block, after all, and he has shown that he wants to build a team from the ground up in both Mainz and Dortmund. And that requires time.

I'm puzzled about people thinking they know more that Klopp about the players to suit the system, tbh. If we were that knowledgeable, it would be us picking the team and not Klopp.

I think it's more a case of people questioning results than questioning his system. We all saw how well the season was going before Christmas with his system. Questions have to be asked why we have dropped off so badly and if it was because of players that we knew were going to be missing then why didn't we do some future proofing and get quality players in to replace them.

But also if teams have figured out his system and now know how to play against us, like Klopp has recently alluded to, then he does need to change it up like Conte and Pep have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Let me start by saying it's great to have a discussion on here. Apologies for splintering your post but you've raised quite a few points that I would like to respond to. Apologies also to the natives who don't like long posts. :)
    Gbear wrote: »
    We didn't seem to be missing them much in the first half of the season.
    At the start of the season there wasn't a weight of expectation on the team. The pressure cranks up after Christmas, especially when Liverpool are at the top end of the table.
    Maybe we'd lose less often, but if you've aspirations towards the top of the table, draws aren't much good.

Chelsea don't have much in the way of volume of goals, but they do have very high frequency. They've still scored in all but about 2 league games.
    Chelsea are setup as an Italian team, typically they only need to score once to win the game. They can soak up pressure and then kill you on the break, they are blessed with pace in the side. Liverpool have a different approach. We cannot soak up pressure, that's been the case since Rodgers was manager. And without Mane we lack the pace up front to keep the opposition on their guard.
    We had our defence sorted from the word go with Benitez. We never won the league because up front we didn't have the firepower. We didn't have cover and we didn't have different kinds of threat.

Bren gets the perfect attack force, doesn't bother with defending and nearly wins the league after relatively minimal time to build a squad, at a time when we can't attract anywhere near the same quality of players and are much weaker relative to our rivals.
    Rodgers team was repeatedly carved open right through the middle of midfield, Klopp's team is the same. This is hardly surprising given that the same personnel bar Wijnaldum have been involved.
    A Momo-like player would be a complete non-starter for us because he couldn't pass.
    We're an attacking team who average about 65% possession or something, so for me the passing is the most vital thing.
    Someone has to do it and it's not really either of Lallana or Wijnaldum.
    I wasn't suggesting we sign a Momo Sissoko, a Kante/Mascherano is what we should be looking for. There are a few talented young players that would better suit the role than any of our current lot.

William Carvalho (Sporting, 24)
    Ruben Neves (Porto, 19)
    Leandro Paredes (Roma, 21)
    Leander Dendoncker (Anderlecht, 21)
    Tiemoue Bakayoko (Monaco, 22)
    Franck Kessie (Atlanta, 20)
    Amadou Diawara (Napoli, 19)

We have been linked with the first six on that list at various times in the past few years. Of those players, Kessie is the worst passer of the ball by far.

Given a choice I'd take Paredes from Roma. Dendoncker is a good option because he can also play in central defence but Paredes covers more ground. I've spoken about this previously, the only reason I see us not signing one of these types of players is that the manager may see in as Trent-Arnold's position. He's 19 now so signing a player of a similar age is likely to stagnate his development, in which case Carvalho the most suitable option. He's a player for the here and now who could potentially be flogged to Real / Barca / PSG for a profit in a few years when Trent-Arnold is ready to make the position his own.
    I wouldn't be opposed to benching Wijnaldum and putting Hendo further up the pitch, with a DM brought in. I think it would improve us.

The opportunity cost is the only issue.
    Will that signing be top class or at least, will the partnership with Hendo be better than Hendo's with Gini?
    Henderson's best position is where he excelled during the 2013/14 season. Maintaining his fitness is the only issue. Last summer we were linked with Dahoud and Zielinski. Zielinski joined Napoli and Wijnaldum was signed when it was clear that Dahoud was unavailable. If we sign Dahoud in the summer then Wijnaldum is either benched or needs to find another role, possibly out wide.

As it stands we have six players who are best suited to two of the three midfield positions. Henderson has played the defensive role in the middle and his understudy Can has been a disaster. For the purpose of this discussion I'm ignoring Lucas.
    It's easy to talk about the likes of Leicester getting Kante, but for every signing like that who goes from nothing to world-class at a lower level club, I'm sure there's 50 lads who you wouldn't want within 50 miles of Melwood.
    We won't be signing any world class players unless they are available for a knock down price. If we want a Kante clone, then all we have to do is drop a pile of money (£25-30M) in Lisbon for William Carvalho - he's an absolute tank and he can pass the ball. While we're there we could pickup Gelson Martins for the wing position. But Klopp will more than likely sign players he sees potential in.
    From my perspective, I see the ultimate failure being that the goal threat is gone from the team.
    If we're failing in attack to the extent which we currently are, a better defence maybe nicks us a few draws at home to Swansea or away to Hull.
    I'm not arsed about us doing that.

You could even see with Spurs. They stopped being able to attack and great, they got a few draws, but that's what killed their chances at the title this season.
    Spurs lost their 20 goal a season forward, it was no surprise the goals dried up but at the same time they didn't lose. We haven't had a 20 goal forward since 2013/14 when we were blessed with two of them.

In 2013/14 we had pace across the front positions and the opposition feared being carved open. Mourinho's Chelsea team came to Anfield and set out the template for how to contain and beat that Liverpool team. The away games against Burnley and Hull this season are almost carbon copies.

Given our style of play, pace up front is a much needed asset. We were without Mane for the month of January and it handed the initiative to the opposition. I was confused as to why Sheyi Ojo didn't get the opportunity to deputise but today I learned that he has been told that he needs to be more direct if he wants to get into the first team.

We had to find another way to play without that pace but it's a separate issue to our defensive lapses. The opposition know that when they play Liverpool, if they hang in there for long enough we will gift them an opportunity.

Paul Clement after we gifted Swansea their first and third goals: "We frustrated Liverpool and defended really well. We showed great togetherness and it was a massive team effort. At half-time I told the players we would get at least one chance, but to get three was unbelievable."

David Moyes: "I never thought we were out of it. The important thing was to not concede a third goal. In the end we got a deserved penalty."
    I haven't seen fear be an issue for us in our recent struggles.
    I've seen a lack of skillsets to open a locked defence, I've seen a lack of players in the areas where they can damage the opposition, I've seen a dogged determination to play the ball through the middle despite there being 2000 defenders in the way, we like booting a load of crosses in despite being a team of midgets and nobody's ever in the box at the time anyway.
    Fear affects the decision making process in the brain - this is scientifically proven. As far back as the Burnley game Klopp spoke about the decision making issue, it echoes what you posted.

"Our decision making was not good. We'd put in a good cross but there were no bodies in the box and then when we had bodies in the box we ended up shooting.

"The season is still pretty young. It doesn't look like we are 100% fine-tuned. But it's only the start of the season and I can see a lot of good things.

"The lesson here is don't give the ball away like we did twice today. We will work on it 100%. We need to have a plan for deep defending teams. We have a few things to do - that is clear."

Klopp has since struggled to explain what happens when the team go out and fail to execute the plan put in place during match preparation. Everything seems perfect on the training pitch and then for no apparent reason, things go tits up when the players are on the pitch. We've seen this before under Rodgers. Should we be surprised?

I think the answer lies in the recruitment policy of Benitez, where possible he filled the team with leaders: Agger, Mascherano, Alonso, Kuyt, Torres. Each of them had the mental strength to put the fear out of their mind. They may not all have been the best technical players but they had the mental toughness required to play for Liverpool. Rodgers spoke about the weight of the Liverpool jersey but during his time we assembled a cast of players who would not question his authority. The only player in the group with the nerve to face down Rodgers and Gerrard was Dejan Lovren.

How many times have we spoken about the lack of mental strength in the Liverpool team on this thread? How many leaders do we have in the current Liverpool team?
    Maybe Kante or someone like that is so good that he really can hoover up everything coming at our back 2 (because the full backs are usually around the edge of the box), but even if that DM really was so legendarily good they could hold the fort pretty much by themselves,
    I'd say you were getting tired when you reached this point. :)

We don't need Superman for the role, we need somebody that can read the game and is mobile. If the holding player can hold up a counter attack, it gives the rest of the team a chance to recover their position. When we're in possession they should be composed enough to be able to turn and try to get the team going forward rather than just boot it into the path of an opponent or out for a cheap corner. Remember how Xabi Alonso would turn on the ball or draw a foul? He made it look so easy.
    I don't see how that affects the central issue, which is that we're putting ourselves in situations where we're giving the ball away where we can be counter-attacked and there's no chance of having any payoff for that risk, because our attack is utterly static and clueless.
    The reason we found ourselves in the position on Saturday was because of Emre Can's inability to turn on the ball. Replace Can with a player better suited to the role and the team has a platform for going forward instead of placing the defence under unnecessary pressure. We didn't start playing our game until the second half.

If you go back to the Sunderland game, we were winning 2-1 when Can (deputising for Henderson) trampled over the Sunderland player who was facing a wall of Liverpool defenders. It was a needless foul, Mane handled the ball from the free kick and they scored the penalty. The two points dropped in that game are due to Can's decision making.

I could go through each of the results from January and point to the unforced defensive errors that were made, but it won't add to the discussion. Individual errors have been costing us results for years, that's not going to change until the personnel are changed.

In an ideal world Klopp would sign a new spine for the team (GK, DC, DM & FC), but that's not his way. He made the bare minimum adjustments to the team last summer and I expect to see the same again if we don't qualify for the Champions League this season.

It's not difficult to pick players to suit the system. The difficulty is in fulfilling the manager's criteria. They are not the same thing - fans want players for the here and now, Klopp wants young players he can mould into a team.

For instance, instead of looking at 23+ year old full backs, the club are looking at teenagers that will develop while Milner is still capable in the role.

I think it's all part of the learning process for Klopp. The run to the Europa League Final last year may have given him a false sense of what this group of players is capable of. The only player to pay a price for their short comings last season has been Moreno.

Without Matip and Mane available for selection we were left with virtually the same group of players as last season. It should be no surprise then that the performances went the same way.

Talisman wrote: »

Without Matip and Mane available for selection we were left with virtually the same group of players as last season. It should be no surprise then that the performances went the same way.

Well then that is quite worrying if it was no surprise to all of us and it was to Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I'm seeing an increasing amount of people asking that we switch to a back 3, can someone tell me what the benefits of that would be.

Now i'm looking for the lads with some footie experience here...

Its not my job or expertise to find those players, but a LB at 20M shouldn't be hard to find if our scouts are any good but that wasn't my point at all.

My point was not about going out and spending money, my point was there is low value in buying "highly rated" youngsters, specifically 15M for a 16 yo LB. I also dont think I'm more knowledgeable than Klopp or ever pretended to be and have stated here half a hundred times that I'm happy for Klopp to spend/not spend and build his own squad as long as we see improvements in league position/performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

anyone else just done with the season or is it just me? ya we still have a shout for top 4,but the last couple of months has broken me,so much promise. ive given up on the season,you would need a very good reason to get me away from watching lfc whenever we were on tv or streams, and by good reason i mean a really good reason,id be stroppy if i missed one.

couldnt give a fcuk now for the rest of the season. the talking is over,are we a big club or not,this summer will prove everything,because,will be 6th or 7th for a long long time if we fall further behind as city,utd,arsenal,spurs,chelsea and maybe everton could and most likely will get stronger.

team full of nearly men,they are nearly good enough most of them,some are,most are not.

sad face :(

I'm seeing an increasing amount of people asking that we switch to a back 3, can someone tell me what the benefits of that would be.

We basically play with a back 2, a back 3 means we'll have more players to blame when they fall apart against the counter.......but seriously I dont think we have the personnel for it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

We basically play with a back 2, a back 3 means we'll have more players to blame when they fall apart against the counter.......but seriously I dont think we have the personnel for it.....

Did we have a back 3 for a while when BRod was in charge?

anyone else just done with the season or is it just me? ya we still have a shout for top 4,but the last couple of months has broken me,so much promise. ive given up on the season,you would need a very good reason to get me away from watching lfc whenever we were on tv or streams, and by good reason i mean a really good reason,id be stroppy if i missed one.

couldnt give a fcuk now for the rest of the season. the talking is over,are we a big club or not,this summer will prove everything,because,will be 6th or 7th for a long long time if we fall further behind as city,utd,arsenal,spurs,chelsea and maybe everton could and most likely will get stronger.

team full of nearly men,they are nearly good enough most of them,some are,most are not.

sad face :(

This is the boom bust cycle in text form! :pac:
    I feel your pain but plenty to play for, I'm not quite done yet!

Yea and went on a very good run if I remember well, it got found out though if we were pressed high and reverted back.....

Yup.
    Went 3 at the back to attempt to stop the 2014/2015 rot, kept goals out iirc.
    https://anfieldindex.com/13327/liverpools-3-4-3-just-radical.html

Matip, Lovren/Klavan & Gomez anyone
    http://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/01/back-three-cure-liverpool/

http://www.empireofthekop.com/2017/02/06/fan-opinion-liverpool-should-switch-to-a-back-three-and-give-firminolallana-a-rest/

I can't see how a back three really resolves anything for us, tbh. In fact, I fear it would only exasperate our issues more.

Also, when I'm feeling less tired and have more time on my hands, I'll try and throw a post together about my take on our midfield at the moment, and the differences between our game styles since Klopp first arrived, until now. I definitely find there's a difference in the 'control' of the game and the possession side of things.

I still disagree with the notion that we need a Mascherano type player. Far from it. We need an Alonso, or even a Michael Carrick (no joke), more than that.

A Mascherano, or even Kante, wouldn't quite fit in the current Klopp setup tbh. If we went back to how he played in the Europa last year, such as the Dortmund games, then yeah, but the current slow build up, 60-70% possession, entire offense predicated on the deep lying midfielder (Henderson) isn't going to radically improve by asking a Kante type player to pass the ball 95 times a game. To an extent, this is why Can has been struggling as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

This is the boom bust cycle in text form! :pac:
    I feel your pain but plenty to play for, I'm not quite done yet!

i can assure you im no boom or bust merchant ,42 yrs old,maybe there comes a time when ya get less invested in it,could be my time,doubt it though,just need a break i suppose.

i can assure you im no boom or bust merchant ,42 yrs old,maybe there comes a time when ya get less invested in it,could be my time,doubt it though,just need a break i suppose.

Ah I was only messing, no offence meant.

You could say we already are playing with a back 3, 2 CBs and Henderson slightly further forward, somewhat similar to Chelsea where Luis can carry the ball forward from the center as against Henderson who is further forward but will pass longer more than Luis.

It all depends what way the manager wants the players to play which will define the system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/didi-hamann-explains-rafa-benitez-cold-steven-gerrard/112293

Before we start, I hate Joe.ie as much as the next person....

I said this last season when Stevie was "training" with the first team and we had our then slump in form, and I'll say it again (but probably get slated)

Is the presence of having Gerrard around Melwood and the Under 19s undermining Klopp efforts with the first team?

Is it purely coincidental that the last 2 times our major slump in form came from him being around?

Is he either A a prîck, or B does he make the younger lads feel uneasy?

And that includes watching from the stands or being on BT on match days...

I love Stevie obviously but if his presence alone is going to cause issues maybe he should have started his coaching career elsewhere....

Maybe Rafa was right???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Glad to see everyone coming around to my way of thinking.

I guess the next question now is are we better off finishing out of a Europa League spot again this year?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement