Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Vanolder wrote: »
    Glad to see everyone coming around to my way of thinking.

I guess the next question now is are we better off finishing out of a Europa League spot again this year?

Being right isn't all that important to me. I still think we can pull it together for top 4. I'm not saying we will, it's a possibility that I'm not ready to give up on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Grayditch wrote: »
    Being right isn't all that important to me. I still think we can pull it together for top 4. I'm not saying we will, it's a possibility that I'm not ready to give up on.

I'll be more than glad to be wrong. I just don't see it tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Fieldog wrote: »
    https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/didi-hamann-explains-rafa-benitez-cold-steven-gerrard/112293

Before we start, I hate Joe.ie as much as the next person....

I said this last season when Stevie was "training" with the first team and we had our then slump in form, and I'll say it again (but probably get slated)

Is the presence of having Gerrard around Melwood and the Under 19s undermining Klopp efforts with the first team?

Is it purely coincidental that the last 2 times our major slump in form came from him being around?

Is he either A a prîck, or B does he make the younger lads feel uneasy?

And that includes watching from the stands or being on BT on match days...

I love Stevie obviously but if his presence alone is going to cause issues maybe he should have started his coaching career elsewhere....

Maybe Rafa was right???

The curse of Stevie G. Maybe.

Firstly, if the players are nervous (I don't think they are btw) that Gerrard is around them we need new players.

Secondly, if he is to be employed by the club then he shouldn't be on BT blabbing about the club.

I guess the next question now is are we better off finishing out of a Europa League spot again this year?

well done bud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/didi-hamann-explains-rafa-benitez-cold-steven-gerrard/112293

Before we start, I hate Joe.ie as much as the next person....

I said this last season when Stevie was "training" with the first team and we had our then slump in form, and I'll say it again (but probably get slated)

Is the presence of having Gerrard around Melwood and the Under 19s undermining Klopp efforts with the first team?

Is it purely coincidental that the last 2 times our major slump in form came from him being around?

Is he either A a prîck, or B does he make the younger lads feel uneasy?

And that includes watching from the stands or being on BT on match days...

I love Stevie obviously but if his presence alone is going to cause issues maybe he should have started his coaching career elsewhere....

Maybe Rafa was right???

No. I fail to see the correlation between Stevie been back around the club and our dip in form.
    If anything he should be inspiring the younger players to play even better with a club legend around the place.

To draw a comparison with united when Moyes had them struggling and fergie was in the stands every football fan knew that he could probably have taken over and won them the league as he was only retired a matter of months. I don't even think the most ardent of Stevie fans would argue that he is in any way ready to manage Liverpool yet.

Rival fans just love to slag Stevie off at any chance and an Everton fan was actually offering me the same opinion as the one you just suggested at the wknd. He's delight at the correlation and our current plight was obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I reckon its coincidence more than anything. The players are hardly going to be focusing on the fact that he is sitting in the stands/studio on match days. Surely they would or at least should be focusing on their own task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Is the presence of having Gerrard around Melwood

Is he not based in Kirby?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Yeah, having Stevie at the club should be inspiring to the players that are there, if they can't handle the pressure of him watching them then how can they handle playing in front of 50k every week? I think it's fairly clutching at straws to be making an excuse up like that, we've been sh1te lately, blame the players or manager or FSG but it certainly is nothing to do with Stevie G!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

To be honest mate half your posts in here are saying you've been proved right. You've a game a week now to make champions league, you lads have an excellent chance of making it to top 4
    I let a huff and puff game against Chelsea cloud me.. Liverpool won't get near top 4.

Proved right.
    Proved right.

If things keep going the way the last month has gone then you can say your proved right. Maybe hold a bit till then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Yeah, having Stevie at the club should be inspiring to the players that are there, if they can't handle the pressure of him watching them then how can they handle playing in front of 50k every week? I think it's fairly clutching at straws to be making an excuse up like that, we've been sh1te lately, blame the players or manager or FSG but it certainly is nothing to do with Stevie G!

I actually don't blame FSG, or even Stevie, just thought I would put it out there with the linked article.....

I think there was money there in the last window had Klopp wanted it, I'd say the big clear out will be after this season....

Expect a few surprises I'd say....

I would hope if anything, that having Stevie around would inspire the younger lads....

I do agree also that having him on BT isn't doing the club any favours.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

duffman13 wrote:
    To be honest mate half your posts in here are saying you've been proved right.

Its a forum equivalent of Bouncing Back by Alan Partridge. Needless to say Vanolder had the last laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

[QUOTE=Amanda Tasteless Lanyard;102543754]Was there not an interview by an ex team mate of Kewells, I can't remember his name now, who said the reason he thought Kewell didn't succeed at Liverpool was because he had reached his dream club and had pulled up the handbrake now that a life goal had been achieved?

Kewell has even stated himself that Pool were the club he supported as a boy growing up and it was his dream move.

I wouldn't worry too much about players using us as a stepping stone either. It happens to all clubs bar Barca and Madrid. Shur look at Ronaldo trying to get away from united for years to Madrid.

Klopp has developed players at Dortmund such as Mikha, Ledandowski, Goteze. Hopefully he can do the same with a few of ours like Can etc or buy players on the cusp of getting a move to one of the top Spanish teams after a couple of seasons with us. Suarez nearly won us a title all the while fluttering his eyes at Barca and Madrid.[/QUOTE]

Could have happened. Can't remember honestly. Still, in his prime he was good enough for almost any team. Problem was we certainly did not get him in his prime. And from the sounds of it his head wasn't right either.
    And yeah, can't really disagree with the rest.

Vicxas wrote: »
    I'm seeing an increasing amount of people asking that we switch to a back 3, can someone tell me what the benefits of that would be.

Now i'm looking for the lads with some footie experience here...

Ah it must be stattsy you are looking for (I think that was his name anyway), He came in here last week and put us all to shame with his unparalleled level of football knowledge, as he used to play at a "certain level"!! :D

Sure you will happy if you are wrong, but for the moment you really seem to be enjoying basking in the glory of being "proven right" already. Well there are what, 15 games left? Something like that. 8 games ago we were supposedly in a title race, now we are definitely out of the top 4 race?? Give it over will yeah? You are no more right now than you were weeks ago when you saying we were not gonna make top 4. There is a 3rd of the league season left to play ffs, with no other distractions where all of our rivals for top 4 have multiple other competitions to worry about. Stop, just stop. I hate when people who are always negative come out sounding arrogant when they are finally right, or in this case after a few losses, not even anything proven yet. Few other posters are the same,wrecks my head. I mean if you are always shouting bloody murder then of course you might sound intelligent when things finally go wrong. But even a stopped clock is right twice a day and that's exactly what it's like with yours and other's constant negativity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Augeo wrote: »
    So Wij can play there and Can & Hendo can also play in their "roles" ?
    Nope.

If Can and hendo start then that's two players occupying the same space doing essentially the same job and so denying a place to one of Wji or Lallana (most likely), is that what you want? Doubt it. The opposition certainly would though - what could be a better sight than two somewhat lumbering CMs sat off your own defence? Playing one pure CM and Wiji with Lallana ahead of him means the opposition has an extra threat to deal with.

Two_man_CM.jpgOne_man_CM.jpg
    I can see Klopp turning to Sturridge is an attempt to rescue the season :)

You must be the final supporter to think he'll suddenly find something heroic in his locker at this stage!
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    When he does bomb forward, there are times when he is faced with the opposition full back on the half way line. All he has to do is knock the ball down the line and run onto it.....but he never does it. He alsways stops and turns back. It's very frustrating to watch.

Or when he gets the ball just inside the final third and cuts inside.....but then looks backwards rather than try to slip in one of the runners.

Milner_right.jpg

Swap the full backs (as I mentioned after the Hull game), Clyne won't cross or beat his man while Milner's cross is badly compromised by turning inside, so put Milly right and he can swing 'em in at will - he's very good at it which means Klopp is wasting a valuable attacking resource. Clyne on the left would be no worse a defender and no better an attacker. Milner would be no worse a defender but a much better attacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I think your spot on about swapping the full backs around.

Knex. wrote: »
    Also, when I'm feeling less tired and have more time on my hands.

Can't handle the geggenposting eh Knex ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

mormank wrote: »
    Ah it must be stattsy you are looking for (I think that was his name anyway), He came in here last week and put us all to shame with his unparalleled level of football knowledge, as he used to play at a "certain level"!! :D

In fairness, I think he probably just mean that their Sunday league pitch was flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

NukaCola wrote: »
    Attackers will always go for more though. In and around 30M is still the fee for top defenders, bar the Stones deal which was a bit silly. 15M for a 16 yo LB is madness. Add 5M to that and you should be able to get a quality starting LB without much trouble

As a general rule, I'd agree with you. But in fairness, Ryan Sessegnon looks something special.

He's playing a lot of games for the first team already at Fulham, and was instrumental in them smashing Hull 4-1. Fast, and great with the ball at his feet, very attacking, gets goals and assists. Wouldn't be surprised to see him move up the pitch as he gets older, but would fit Klopp's vision of a fullback pretty much exactly.

I think for better or worse Klopp sees Milner as first choice for the next year or two, which makes sense why we've been looking at young fullbacks like Sessegnon and Chillwell, likely to come in after Milner's gotten a bit old.

We still need a better backup option, but I could see Sessegnon being our first choice left back within 2 years.

<Edit> I also think, in reality, the fee will be more like 8 - 10m rising to 15 based on appearances etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Inaki Williams might be handy up front. Quick feet, serious pace. Just one player like him would make a big difference to the team and give some balance to the attack.

______________Firmino______________
    Williams_____________________Mane

_____Coutinho_______Lallana_______

Milner______Henderson________Clyne

_________Gomez____Matip_________

______________Keeper______________

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Inaki Williams might be handy up front. Quick feet, serious pace. Just one player like him would make a big difference to the team and give some balance to the attack.

Remember the last "Quick feet, serious pace" player we bought from Spain? That worked out well :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Talisman wrote: »
    At the start of the season there wasn't a weight of expectation on the team. The pressure cranks up after Christmas, especially when Liverpool are at the top end of the table.

There's lots of incremental pressures to performance I can accept as being detrimental to form - fatigue, injuries, pressure, form of key players, etc.

I'd expect us to wax and wane a bit.
    You saw that in December where we weren't playing well for large chunks of games - Everton, Stoke, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, but were still chipping away with results.
    You could forsee our luck coming to an end and stuttering, but it's more than that - we look completely unrecognisable.
    Chelsea are setup as an Italian team, typically they only need to score once to win the game. They can soak up pressure and then kill you on the break, they are blessed with pace in the side. Liverpool have a different approach. We cannot soak up pressure, that's been the case since Rodgers was manager. And without Mane we lack the pace up front to keep the opposition on their guard.
    Rodgers team was repeatedly carved open right through the middle of midfield, Klopp's team is the same. This is hardly surprising given that the same personnel bar Wijnaldum have been involved.

Chelsea are on course for something around the strongest league performance in 25 years so nearly everything is right. Their defence is obviously important.
    Their attack is also spot on though. They can score every single game because they have completely reliable goalscorers and lots of decent goalscorers like Firmino, Mane and that kind of level.
    Teams can't shut them out the way they do to us and that's the first port of call for being champions. You need first to be able to win most games. After that you can worry about not losing whatever's left or holding on to precarious leads.
    Spurs lost their 20 goal a season forward, it was no surprise the goals dried up but at the same time they didn't lose. We haven't had a 20 goal forward since 2013/14 when we were blessed with two of them.

They didn't lose, but that wasn't worth anything to them.
    That isn't particularly valuable if you've aspirations beyond the EL.

There are only 3 teams with stronger defences in the league than Middlesbrough. They are 15th.
    In 2013/14 we had pace across the front positions and the opposition feared being carved open. Mourinho's Chelsea team came to Anfield and set out the template for how to contain and beat that Liverpool team. The away games against Burnley and Hull this season are almost carbon copies.

If only one team a season is capable of dealing with our attack and it requires them playing relegation-fodder tactics with world class players I'm really not bothered.
    You might lose a league in one game, but if we're in that kind of conversation then we've made plenty of progress with our attack and I don't mind us finding ways to batten down the hatches at that point.

Our issue isn't that we've had a dodgy result. We have a chronic problem with breaking teams down and it's intrinsic to this squad because of how few direct options we have.
    We can only win when we're playing well with a full strength side. That's not a recipe for success. It's an indicator and a cause for hope but not enough on its own.
    Given our style of play, pace up front is a much needed asset. We were without Mane for the month of January and it handed the initiative to the opposition. I was confused as to why Sheyi Ojo didn't get the opportunity to deputise but today I learned that he has been told that he needs to be more direct if he wants to get into the first team.

We had to find another way to play without that pace but it's a separate issue to our defensive lapses. The opposition know that when they play Liverpool, if they hang in there for long enough we will gift them an opportunity.

I agree. We have a really effective plan A but it's only capable of being deployed by a tiny number of players.
    Klopp has since struggled to explain what happens when the team go out and fail to execute the plan put in place during match preparation. Everything seems perfect on the training pitch and then for no apparent reason, things go tits up when the players are on the pitch. We've seen this before under Rodgers. Should we be surprised?

It was personnel then and it's personnel now.
    All the players don't have to be ****e for you to have a ****e team.
    How many times have we spoken about the lack of mental strength in the Liverpool team on this thread? How many leaders do we have in the current Liverpool team?
    Again, I'm not arsed about this. You don't need mental strength to get 80-odd points.
    Until we're doing that consistently (because we have loads of really good attacking players) I don't care.
    We don't need Superman for the role, we need somebody that can read the game and is mobile. If the holding player can hold up a counter attack, it gives the rest of the team a chance to recover their position. When we're in possession they should be composed enough to be able to turn and try to get the team going forward rather than just boot it into the path of an opponent or out for a cheap corner. Remember how Xabi Alonso would turn on the ball or draw a foul? He made it look so easy.
    The reason we found ourselves in the position on Saturday was because of Emre Can's inability to turn on the ball. Replace Can with a player better suited to the role and the team has a platform for going forward instead of placing the defence under unnecessary pressure. We didn't start playing our game until the second half.

You can't pass your way out of a static attack. At the moment, we're not moving enough, occupying the right areas of the pitch, nobody's running with the ball or in behind to stretch play.

Peak Xabi isn't fixing this. I think he'd probably just commit ritual suicide in the middle of the pitch out of frustration of the muck in front of him.

I didn't see the game against Hull so I don't know what Mane did to alleviate this, but even with him back, he's played ****loads of games, travelled thousands of miles and the onus is completely on him to generate all the dynamism in possession.

We can't expect miracles from him but we ought to be able to expect some kind of legitimate implementation of our attacking system.
    In an ideal world Klopp would sign a new spine for the team (GK, DC, DM & FC), but that's not his way. He made the bare minimum adjustments to the team last summer and I expect to see the same again if we don't qualify for the Champions League this season.

He's shown plenty of willingness to sign loads of players at Dortmund.

He arrived midseason and it was always going to be a bit of a write off, so I could understand not really going for players in January before he had a good idea what the squad was like.
    And while you can get players in January, it obviously isn't as easy.

Sturridge and Coutinho were exceptions that sprung up at just the right time.

Before he can be said to have built "his team" I think we'll probably have to wait until the start of 18/19.

He looks like a good player but you wouldn't back him to score 20 goals straight out the gate.

We need a proper CF or we're going nowhere.

If Can and hendo start then that's two players occupying the same space doing essentially the same job and so denying a place to one of Wji or Lallana (most likely), is that what you want? Doubt it. The opposition certainly would though - what could be a better sight than two somewhat lumbering CMs sat off your own defence? Playing one pure CM and Wiji with Lallana ahead of him means the opposition has an extra threat to deal with.

It's not at all what I want but it's what klopp did v Hull and I fear he will play can & hendo with wij on the bench again v spurs.

The point I'm making is that when can & Henderson are fit I think that's klopp s midfield 2. Time will tell.

Gbear wrote: »
    He looks like a good player but you wouldn't back him to score 20 goals straight out the gate.

We need a proper CF or we're going nowhere.

We also need to build up the squad and have options. He is at Bilbao, we should be able to prise him from there. €20 million according to transfermarkt.

• Advertisement

We also need to build up the squad and have options. He is at Bilbao, we should be able to prise him from there. €20 million according to transfermarkt.

If it's any less than €50m i'd be very surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

€20m won't get us near signing him. You have to consider a few things:

1. The rising value of footballers
    2. Williams is a serious talent and has massive potential
    3. Bilbao will only sell for a massive fee because their transfer policy seriously hinders their ability to replace him. Gold luck finding a forward anywhere near as good as Williams in the Basque region.

I'd love to see him at Liverpool as well but it'll take so much more than €20m to make that happen, not that we won't pay it though.

martyos121 wrote: »
    €20m won't get us near signing him. You have to consider a few things:

1. The rising value of footballers
    2. Williams is a serious talent and has massive potential
    3. Bilbao will only sell for a massive fee because their transfer policy seriously hinders their ability to replace him. Gold luck finding a forward anywhere near as good as Williams in the Basque region.

I'd love to see him at Liverpool as well but it'll take so much more than €20m to make that happen, not that we won't pay it though.

Yeah, I agree €20 won't do it but that's what Transfermarkt has as his market value. I guess it would be somewhere between €30 - €35 in actuality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

€20 + £1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Prising players from Bilbao is a lot easier said than done. Herrera and Martinez both had to have their clauses hit.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    Prising players from Bilbao is a lot easier said than done. Herrera and Martinez both had to have their clauses hit.

Yea. He'll cost a fortune and I don't think Liverpool will be in the running really.

Martinez, there's a name I haven't heard in a while is he still injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

ERG89 wrote: »
    Its a forum equivalent of Bouncing Back by Alan Partridge. Needless to say Vanolder had the last laugh

No, needles to say he had the last laugh.

Adam Lallama :

ST3TsRz.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

4BE_veznici.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-rumours-daniel-9777272

Today's rumours...

- Sturridge and Mignolet out in the summer
    - Aubameyang on our radar.

I would say that one of these is slightly more likely than the other. You can figure out which is which yourselves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Aubameyang will cost £50m+ I would imagine and there will be a lot of teams in for him.

How much will we get for Sturridge?

Aubameyang will cost £50m+ I would imagine and there will be a lot of teams in for him.

How much will we get for Sturridge?

£50m+, just enough to cover Aubameyang...

In reality, even with the inflated prices of the modern market, I wouldn't be expecting too much more than £20m for Sturridge. He looks crocked and clearly isn't wanted at the club, both of which strengthen the negotiating position of the buyer.

He has West Ham written all over him doesn't he?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-rumours-daniel-9777272

Today's rumours...

- Sturridge and Mignolet out in the summer

I would say that one of these is slightly more likely than the other. You can figure out which is which yourselves...

No surprises there...

I don't think Aubemeyang would come to us but his relationship with Klopp could help get us over the line...

I also expect one or two shockers, maybe Hendo and or possibly both Can to go...

We need someone full of goals, and we need a plan B for the bus parking teams....

No surprises there...

I don't think Aubemeyang would come to us but his relationship with Klopp could help get us over the line...

I also expect one or two shockers, maybe Hendo and or possibly both Can to go...

We need someone full of goals, and we need a plan B for the bus parking teams....

I have to say I don't see too many departures this summer.

We don't have too many players and if we're to play European football next season (CL or EL), we need a bigger squad. Hell, I'd say that even if we don't have European football, we need a bigger squad to avoid similar drops in form like we saw recently.

I think we need 4-5 players as it is (CB, LB, CM, WG, ST) and that's before any departures.

If (as expected) Lucas, Sakho, Mignolet and Sturridge all go, I would argue we need to replace each one, which pushes into 10 signings off the bat.

If Henderson or Can (or anyone else!) was to go too, we're talking a total reinvention of the squad and I don't see Klopp and FSG pushing for that in one window.

I don't see any of our loan players making a difference to our options either - maybe Danny Ward as a backup GK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

maybe Danny Ward as a backup GK?

I think we will have Karius and Ward as our 2 keepers next season with AN Other as backup

I believe Klopp is fully behind players like Karius and Can and is willing to ride through slumps in form as he sees them as long term players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sturridge, Mignolet Lucas & Sakho will be the main players to leave.

Moreno may also go but I would keep him myself as part of the squad.

I wouldn't be shocked if Henderson was also sold I am starting to wonder is the reason he is being played at DM instead of his natural attacking midfield role is down to his heel injury.

Judging by his past I think Klopp has no problem with shipping out a load of players. This season will have been last chance saloon for quite a few players and I think Klopp will have to bring in a lot to stay competitive.

I might be way off here but I think he thinks that the squad aren't really ready for the Champions League and that he wanted another season to get settled.

19 goals in 36 UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League apps for BD ............ definitely would mitigate any concerns that 82 goals in 131 domestic apps isn't transferable quality wise :)

28 in June though but would be a serious signing to shoot us into contention for the next 2 seasons you'd imagine.
    brevity wrote: »

I might be way off here but I think he thinks that the squad aren't really ready for the Champions League and that he wanted another season to get settled.

What do you mean though? That by wanting another season to get settled he .... ??

8-10 wrote: »
    I think we will have Karius and Ward as our 2 keepers next season with AN Other as backup

I believe Klopp is fully behind players like Karius and Can and is willing to ride through slumps in form as he sees them as long term players.

I find the bolded piece a frightening thought tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Rather buy pace power and attitude than Abunageyeghustaiaach .
    Lot's of young players out there who can progress, important that they have that winning attitude, pace and power. The ability can be improved under Klopp /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I find the bolded piece a frightening thought tbh.

Yep I'm not that keen on it either. Just a feeling. The rumours of Joe Hart won't go away but I just can't see him being the solution.

What do you mean though? That by wanting another season to get settled he .... ??

...could have more time with his players and the players he wants to purchase. He needs the midweek break to get his players playing the way he wants them to play.

If the squad that he has now cannot handle the current amount of games then adding the CL to the mix isn't going to help. And just because Liverpool qualify for the CL doesn't mean they are magically going to all the players they need. Klopp won't have time to bring them all up to speed either.

brevity wrote: »
    ...could have more time with his players and the players he wants to purchase. He needs the midweek break to get his players playing the way he wants them to play.

If the squad that he has now cannot handle the current amount of games then adding the CL to the mix isn't going to help. And just because Liverpool qualify for the CL doesn't mean they are magically going to all the players they need. Klopp won't have time to bring them all up to speed either.

I don't think we are anywhere near ready for the CL but when the chance arises it should be taken, wait until you are ready and you are never ready IMO.

The EL scuppers the bolded piece big style IMO

8-10 wrote: »
    Yep I'm not that keen on it either. Just a feeling. The rumours of Joe Hart won't go away but I just can't see him being the solution.

How is he getting on in Torino? I always thought he was a good keeper. Guardiola was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

£50m+, just enough to cover Aubameyang...

In reality, even with the inflated prices of the modern market, I wouldn't be expecting too much more than £20m for Sturridge. He looks crocked and clearly isn't wanted at the club, both of which strengthen the negotiating position of the buyer.

He has West Ham written all over him doesn't he?

I'd be surprised if we could still get 20m for him.

Until this season he was still getting dozen+ goals a season despite injuries etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement