Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

noodler wrote: »

Until this season he was still getting dozen+ goals a season despite injuries etc.

Last season Klopp hadn't implemented his ways fully so to speak so Sturridge could still do his thing with relative success when played.

We are currently outside of the Top4.
    12/13 of the other teams outside of the Top4 would have Sturridge back to getting a goal every 2 PL games and have other players do the running.

I reckon he'll go to a CL team in mainland Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

People smoking dope if they think we'll sign Aubameyang. We've never signed an already world class player, we've not signed anyone that would be deemed even class since Torres/Suarez and both went up in stature after playing for us. We are in the market for the "next" big thing for what seems to be a long time now.

As for Sturridge - we'll get good money for him purely cos he is English and they seem to think he is still a class act. If he can get a few opportunities over the run in he might add a bit more to his price tag.

As for Sturridge - we'll get good money for him purely cos he is English and they seem to think he is still a class act. If he can get a few opportunities over the run in he might add a bit more to his price tag.

.......... and he's there or there abouts for English team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd be surprised if we could still get 20m for him.

Until this season he was still getting dozen+ goals a season despite injuries etc.

When Villa in the bottom half of the championship are paying £13m for a 29 year average journeyman striker you would think and hope we could at least get double that for England's (media keeps telling me) best striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

mormank wrote: »
    Sure you will happy if you are wrong, but for the moment you really seem to be enjoying basking in the glory of being "proven right" already. Well there are what, 15 games left? Something like that. 8 games ago we were supposedly in a title race, now we are definitely out of the top 4 race?? Give it over will yeah? You are no more right now than you were weeks ago when you saying we were not gonna make top 4. There is a 3rd of the league season left to play ffs, with no other distractions where all of our rivals for top 4 have multiple other competitions to worry about. Stop, just stop. I hate when people who are always negative come out sounding arrogant when they are finally right, or in this case after a few losses, not even anything proven yet. Few other posters are the same,wrecks my head. I mean if you are always shouting bloody murder then of course you might sound intelligent when things finally go wrong. But even a stopped clock is right twice a day and that's exactly what it's like with yours and other's constant negativity.

A lot of you lads need to relax... As you say, there's a lot of football left. I just personally believe there are too many weaknesses in the team and while the front four were on fire earlier in the season, teams were still figuring us out. Now that a couple of players are not performing the weaknesses are more glaring and Klopp hasn't been able to address/adjust to teams sitting deep and breaking.

The proved right was an off hand comment that a few lads have gotten all worked up about. It's only football, lad. GAA is more important i'm sure you'll agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

People think that early in the season that teams did not come and seat deep against us , WRONG, THEY DID.
    Burnley did it in second game and beat us. It's nothing new, nothing has changed except we have had a knock to our confidence.
    Almost every team we played in first half of season has put up a block of 8 against us, we still beat them and on occasion they beat us, Burnley and Bournemouth.
    This thing of saying ''teams have figured us out '' is stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

People think that early in the season that teams did not come and seat deep against us , WRONG, THEY DID.
    Burnley did it in second game and beat us. It's nothing new, nothing has changed except we have had a knock to our confidence.
    Almost every team we played in first half of season has put up a block of 8 against us, we still beat them and on occasion they beat us, Burnley and Bournemouth.

Ok, so we haven't figured teams out - Still a deficiency of the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sturridge, Mignolet Lucas & Sakho will be the main players to leave.

Moreno may also go but I would keep him myself as part of the squad.

I wouldn't be shocked if Henderson was also sold I am starting to wonder is the reason he is being played at DM instead of his natural attacking midfield role is down to his heel injury.

No chance Henderson is sold. Klopp is always glowing in praise of him. Plenty of rubbish to get rid before Henderson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'd be surprised if we could still get 20m for him.

Palace signed Schlupp and PvA for a combined 30M almost.

Don't think we'll have any problems getting 20M for Sturridge. Some team will take that gamble on him. Probably even more than one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I disagree. It's not just sitting back, it's the way teams have looked to nullify our attacks by forcing us wide that has become more and more apparent. Look at how narrow Swansea and Plymouth defended and then look back at the Burnley game.

"teams have figured us out" is a simple phrase that is perhaps over-simplifying it, but the suggestion that teams have always treated us the same since the start of the campaign and drop in form is down solely to confidence and nothing else has changed is wrong.

Teams have definitely learned things about how we attack this season and learned from watching our games and acted accordingly in their tactics. If they haven't then I despair at the money these teams pay for video analysis and tactics management

• Advertisement

Spurs is an intriguing match.

You'd imagine they will facilitate our pressing game in so far as they will play it out from defence and their midfielders. Although as they are away from home they might well decide to let us see plenty of the ball, they press us and then attack.

Will be a decent test for Matip & Co (Lovren out or doubtful iirc) anyway you'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Rather buy pace power and attitude than Abunageyeghustaiaach .
    Lot's of young players out there who can progress, important that they have that winning attitude, pace and power. The ability can be improved under Klopp /

Gosh it really is tiring reading half the posters moan about us not having a good enough squad and then reading the other half of the posters shoot down world class recommendation after the next. I mean come on, last week Sanchez wasn't what we were looking for and this week Aubameyang isn't what we are looking for in favour of more youth?? So you're telling me that if we went into next season with Aubameyang up top flanked by Coutinho and Sanchez you wouldn't be happy?? :eek: (Granted it wasn't you who said Sanchez wouldn't get into our team but there is a definite pattern!) Such a crazy concept to me to argue against such a lineup.

brevity wrote: »
    ...could have more time with his players and the players he wants to purchase. He needs the midweek break to get his players playing the way he wants them to play.

If the squad that he has now cannot handle the current amount of games then adding the CL to the mix isn't going to help. And just because Liverpool qualify for the CL doesn't mean they are magically going to all the players they need. Klopp won't have time to bring them all up to speed either.

Wait a sec? So you're saying that you think Klopp is purposefully sabotaging this season's top 4 challenge so he can have another season on the training pitch with the lads to get them ready? Get them ready for what? To qualify for the bloody champion's league? I must have this wrong, please tell me I'm wrong. Cos if that is what you are suggesting it is the most bat sh%t crazy post I've seen in a very long time. It sounds so insane it simply cannot be what were suggesting and therefore I'm gonna apologise in advance for taking you up wrong....???? :o

Vanolder wrote: »
    A lot of you lads need to relax... As you say, there's a lot of football left. I just personally believe there are too many weaknesses in the team and while the front four were on fire earlier in the season, teams were still figuring us out. Now that a couple of players are not performing the weaknesses are more glaring and Klopp hasn't been able to address/adjust to teams sitting deep and breaking.

The proved right was an off hand comment that a few lads have gotten all worked up about. It's only football, lad. GAA is more important i'm sure you'll agree.

As far as the proved right thing goes. Am I the only one reading it in a Donald Trump voice? I mean, at least that's what I've been doing. :o
    Ya I probably do need to relax sometimes but arrogance just riles me up and always has. Tis one of the things that annoys me about....well I won't name names but another well known poster who iis constantly negative and then shows up all smug when we fail. What sort of a fan does this? You know what they would have done to someone like that in a place like this in the good old days?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Augeo wrote: »
    Spurs is an intriguing match.

You'd imagine they will facilitate our pressing game in so far as they will play it out from defence and their midfielders. Although as they are away from home they might well decide to let us see plenty of the ball, they press us and then attack.

Will be a decent test for Matip & Co (Lovren out or doubtful iirc) anyway you'd imagine.

With Walker they'll have a lot of threat coming up the left wing, I hope Milner will be able for him.

Wait a sec? So you're saying that you think Klopp is purposefully sabotaging this season's top 4 challenge so he can have another season on the training pitch with the lads to get them ready? Get them ready for what? To qualify for the bloody champion's league? I must have this wrong, please tell me I'm wrong. Cos if that is what you are suggesting it is the most bat sh%t crazy post I've seen in a very long time. It sounds so insane it simply cannot be what were suggesting and therefore I'm gonna apologise in advance for taking you up wrong....???? :o

That was sort of how I read it too but I wasn't sure.......
    Augeo wrote: »

What do you mean though? That by wanting another season to get settled he .... ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I think Klopp wasn't expecting to do as well as Liverpool have been. I think he might have preferred to get another season, and another summer transfer window to get more players playing the way he wants them.

I think he is happy obviously but it's given him a set of problems that he might not have had in his first two seasons at Dortmund.

I'd say he most definitely expected to get us at least 6th this season and into the EL. CL qualification would be a bonus and to be fair unless the draw was really favourable we'd not be under huge pressure as in the expectation would be that we probably wouldn't progress too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I'm on the phone now so can't really flesh out my theory but if I get a chance later I can post it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

When Villa in the bottom half of the championship are paying £13m for a 29 year average journeyman striker you would think and hope we could at least get double that for England's (media keeps telling me) best striker.

I think we'll all be disappointed tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Klopp has just got a slap from his own club supporters- sub Wiji is player of the month!

https://twitter.com/lfc/status/829374228835229697

Douglas Costa could be ready to leave Bayern.

Now lets dream of signing Costa and Aubameyang and get disappointed when it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

We're not getting Aubameyang, not a chance. He's off to Real Madrid, a level above us. There's not a better striker available in the world, if we did get him by some miracle I'd be ecstatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

We're not getting Aubameyang, not a chance. He's off to Real Madrid, a level above us. There's not a better striker available in the world, if we did get him by some miracle I'd be ecstatic.

Madrid don't want him . they want lewandoski if morata goes to Chelsea, and Costa goes to China or athletico. Could see Bayern moving for lukaku or aubametang if lewandoski leaves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

8-10 wrote: »
    I disagree. It's not just sitting back, it's the way teams have looked to nullify our attacks by forcing us wide that has become more and more apparent. Look at how narrow Swansea and Plymouth defended and then look back at the Burnley game.

"teams have figured us out" is a simple phrase that is perhaps over-simplifying it, but the suggestion that teams have always treated us the same since the start of the campaign and drop in form is down solely to confidence and nothing else has changed is wrong.

Teams have definitely learned things about how we attack this season and learned from watching our games and acted accordingly in their tactics. If they haven't then I despair at the money these teams pay for video analysis and tactics management

Its a combination of teams 'figuring us out' and a lack of confidence. When we were on form we swarmed oppositions and panicked them. Ligntning fast 1 touch passing through a team.

I think getting knocked out of the cups broke the spirit. I think the team thought they were going to win one. Then, dumped out of two cups and two of the first team were out. Lost all momentum. It'll come again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I'm on the phone now so can't really flesh out my theory but if I get a chance later I can post it up.
    I think we'll all be disappointed tbh.

Don't mind him, Brevity. I can't wait for your theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ah now lads, come on. We're not getting Aubameyang. Dont do it to yourself.

Also, one of our summer targets has signed a new deal:
    Reported Liverpool target Emil Forsberg has signed a new contract with RB Leipzig until 2022.

The Swede has scored five goals and registered eight assists in the Bundesliga this season as Leipzig have launched an unlikely title challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Vicxas wrote: »
    Also, one of our summer targets has signed a new deal:

I think signing a new contract doesnt neccesarily mean you dont want to/ wiĺl not move.

For the club it fetches a better price and It kind of guarantees the player will get a better contract offer also.

You need to really show a good player you want them. That includes being willing to pay a high fee of they've negotiated themselves a better deal.

Not that I even know who Forsberg is :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I think it's hilarious that anyone thinks there's even a one in a million chance of Liverpool signing aubamayeng. He's one of the best strikers in the world and he's at an age where this is probably his last big chance to play for one of the best teams in the world. He is not going to sign for a team that generally finishes 6th -10th in the premiership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I think it's hilarious that anyone thinks there's even a one in a million chance of Liverpool signing aubamayeng. He's one of the best strikers in the world and he's at an age where this is probably his last big chance to play for one of the best teams in the world. He is not going to sign for a team that generally finishes 6th -10th in the premiership.

Strong hints that Griezmann might make the drop to United in the summer. Did that make you laugh also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I still think we should have gasumpted Napoli for Arek Milik. Real Klopp player

I think Klopp wasn't expecting to do as well as Liverpool have been. I think he might have preferred to get another season, and another summer transfer window to get more players playing the way he wants them.

I think he is happy obviously but it's given him a set of problems that he might not have had in his first two seasons at Dortmund.

But he will get that? Doesn't mean he has to write off this season tho, the two are certainly not mutually exclusive! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I love how you ignore the 99% of posts which express genuine disbelief at the possibility and simply go with the one poster who "kinda" said we should try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Yeah I'm sick of all our 10th place finishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

He's off to Real Madrid, a level above us.

A certain level....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I remember lads coming in here saying we hadn't a hope of getting Klopp and having a right laugh about it too......lads are easily amused I guess....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Gosh it really is tiring reading half the posters moan about us not having a good enough squad and then reading the other half of the posters shoot down world class recommendation after the next. I mean come on, last week Sanchez wasn't what we were looking for and this week Aubameyang isn't what we are looking for in favour of more youth?? So you're telling me that if we went into next season with Aubameyang up top flanked by Coutinho and Sanchez you wouldn't be happy?? :eek: (Granted it wasn't you who said Sanchez wouldn't get into our team but there is a definite pattern!) Such a crazy concept to me to argue against such a lineup.

One can only argue with the logic of buying players of 28-30 years of age for 50m plus. I would like club to buy younger players, players that can progress but also players who are already considered to be great players, paying 50m for a rising star is fine with me.
    City bought Jesus H Christ for 27m, a steal. We should be looking for young players like that, but would we pay 27m for a 19 year old, probably not.

....but would we pay 27m for a 19 year old, probably not.

Markovic 3 years ago not far off that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

One can only argue with the logic of buying players of 28-30 years of age for 50m plus. I would like club to buy younger players, players that can progress but also players who are already considered to be great players, paying 50m for a rising star is fine with me.
    City bought Jesus H Christ for 27m, a steal. We should be looking for young players like that, but would we pay 27m for a 19 year old, probably not.
    He's always out for a few days around Easter, I hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I quite like the look of Demarai Gray at Leicester as a good young winger, could be a steal if they go down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Someone wanted Mahrez yesterday, sign all the Foxes! Schmeichel might want out as well! :p

Whoa whoa whoa, I get your point but it's been 2 games. I seem to remember being told that Martial was gonna be the next Henry and Depay the next I don't know who after 2 games. Same for countless others. Plus it's very easy to identify such players after they have been bought and signed by our rivals. Well a few pages ago somebody mentioned we were considering paying 15mill for a 16 year old left back most of us never heard of, which for me would be a bigger gamble than 27mill on Brazil's 19 year old star centre forward. But of course the following posts were all saying that it would be crazy to spend that amount of money on a 16 year old with potential....now your here saying we should do exactly that and the circle continues...like I said, tiring....:(

Someone wanted Mahrez yesterday, sign all the Foxes! Schmeichel might want out as well! :p

Gray would definatley be more for depth to begin with at least, rather than a potential first teamer like Mahrez, but would have been a useful to have while Mane was out. Raw pace, gets the occasional goal and has a decent cross - though of course we have no-one to cross to.. cut price deal to take an out-of-favour Mitrovic from Newcastle? (im half joking, but i'd really like us to have a different option on the bench to make teams think twice about defending so deep for the whole game.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He's always out for a few days around Easter, I hear.

Great in the air though, his ascension is superb.

Ricardo Pereira the latest fullback linked.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I quite like the look of Demarai Gray at Leicester as a good young winger, could be a steal if they go down.

Good timing there to further my case Mr Gray :p
    Great powerful run into the box from the wing, beats two guys with strength and quick feet, and pops it into the top corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

martyos121 wrote: »
    Great in the air though, his ascension is superb.

He's some to get on the end of a cross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

If true, thats some package for the lad.

Henderson must be due a rise at this stage, Whats he on... about 80K a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Well deserved, but I thought it was reported a couple of weeks ago

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement