Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Henderson signed a deal when he was made captain, I'm sure. There was stuff released about him rejecting a low offer first time round or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Henderson is a good guy.
    Funny to see him up there trying to pick a killer pass to get things going, not his job, but given little choice considering the way the rest of them are playing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I think it's hilarious that anyone thinks there's even a one in a million chance of Liverpool signing aubamayeng. He's one of the best strikers in the world and he's at an age where this is probably his last big chance to play for one of the best teams in the world. He is not going to sign for a team that generally finishes 6th -10th in the premiership.

Would you be willing to lay 1000000/1 I'll have a quid on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

The way we're playing at the minute we need 2 out and out wingers to be any way successful, attacking wise. We have one already in Mane but need another pacey direct player on the other side.

I'd have Henderson, Lallana and Coutinho in the midfield 3, with Phil at the tip. Mane and Moreno on the wings and Firmino up top. Realistically, Moreno shouldn't be anywhere near the team but he's the only other player in the squad at the minute that possesses the physical attributes needed to play that position in the formation we have. Firmino, Lallana and Wijnaldum on the wings just doesn't work.

In the Summer, hopefully we sign a player for that lw slot, and the names we're being linked with are encouraging as their mainly wingers. However, a proper goal scorer is needed too, imo. That leaves a bit of uncertainty around Firmino. I love him as a player but he's not a proper striker and he's 25% the player he usually is when he's played on the wing. That leaves him fighting for the same spot as Coutinho and there's only one winner there. I don't think we'll be in the market for a striker, though as there's not much out there of value.

A left back absolutely has to be signed more than anything. I'd be happy to have Matip and Gomez as 1st choice pairing next season, depending on how well Gomez goes for the rest of the season. I also think we'll stick with Karius and he'll start most of the games for the rest of the season.

I'd replace Henderson in the first team with a proper dm if Phil and Lallana play ahead of him. I'll go against the grain but I think Can is the player for that position, whether people like it or not. I think he'll be World Class.

hefferboi wrote: »

I'd replace Henderson in the first team with a proper dm if Phil and Lallana play ahead of him. I'll go against the grain but I think Can is the player for that position, whether people like it or not. I think he'll be World Class.

That's a weak enough midfield, with Mane and AN Other on the other wing and Bobby up top you're looking at 6 non get in your face type players.

Soft as sh1t really........... and where does Wij' go? The bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

hefferboi wrote: »

To be clear, we'd all love it if he became world class.

We just can't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hit a bad run of form and suddenly new contracts are been given out and there's stories in the media about all the players we are going to sign in the Summer.

The club are nothing if not predictable anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

If Leicester draw in the next round of the FA cup could be a long gap to the next Liverpool game

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-liverpool-could-twenty-one-12581388

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Winter break for the players then.

• Advertisement

Maybe he'll take them camping .

We are running out of excuses at this rate.

noodler wrote: »
    We are running out of excuses at this rate.

Not really.
    To be fair if we finish 6th that's just about where we should be all considered. When on song we are great but sustaining that over 38 games would be a serious over achievement.

Even after a woeful run of 3 pts from last 5 PL games we are only 4 pts off 2nd place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Augeo wrote: »
    Not really.
    To be fair if we finish 6th that's just about where we should be all considered. When on song we are great but sustaining that over 38 games would be a serious over achievement.

Even after a woeful run of 3 pts from last 5 PL games we are only 4 pts off 2nd place.

That would have been fair pre season but after the position we've got ourselves into we looked a shoo in for top 4 it will be very disappointing if we don't get top 4 and I think we have already blown it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not getting top 4 with only the domestic season to think about having been in the top 4 for so long would be a flipping failure no matter how many reasons you might like to cite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

I think we have fooked our chances of top 4 to be honest. Worried about Mourinho and Man u getting in there. He has them very hard to beat like a typical Mourinho team and they are hitting form. I'd have to back them more than us now to get the results needed to get a Champions League place.

My prediction is:

C. Chelsea
    2. Spurs
    3. City
    4. Man u

• Advertisement

That would have been fair pre season but after the position we've got ourselves into we looked a shoo in for top 4 it will be very disappointing if we don't get top 4 and I think we have already blown it tbh.

Very disappointing, no doubt.
    Not getting top 4 with only the domestic season to think about having been in the top 4 for so long would be a flipping failure no matter how many reasons you might like to cite.

I dunno, it's a 38 game season. We've dropped out if the top4 with 15 games to go, long way to go yet of course.

I'd be slow to describe 5th or 6th a failure TBH.

Not getting 4th would be a failure.

This 6th best squad line is an awful justification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Any sign of the presser? Can only seem to find Pochettino's one...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

mormank wrote: »
    Any sign of the presser? Can only seem to find Pochettino's one...:(

Tomorrow probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Some very good opportunities coming up to get back into the top 4 and I hope we'll be good enough to take them. At the start of the season I wanted a proper fight for top 4. I think we have got that bar the last few games.

If we dont make top 4 it will be disappointing as we were in a very good position but the league is 38 games. I would be holding off calling a season a failure if we finish outside top 4 without context though. If we are not in with a shout of top 4 with 2/3 games to go I'll be pretty annoyed but I'm happy so far with the improvement we have made. A win against Spurs would be the perfect remedy to our form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

NukaCola wrote: »
    Some very good opportunities coming up to get back into the top 4 and I hope we'll be good enough to take them. At the start of the season I wanted a proper fight for top 4. I think we have got that bar the last few games.

If we dont make top 4 it will be disappointing as we were in a very good position but the league is 38 games. I would be holding off calling a season a failure if we finish outside top 4 without context though. If we are not in with a shout of top 4 with 2/3 games to go I'll be pretty annoyed but I'm happy so far with the improvement we have made. A win against Spurs would be the perfect remedy to our form.

A lot of sense being talked here and probably how most rational fans feel about this year

Lallana & Lovren both missed training today.

Lallana & Lovren both missed training today.

Christ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

NukaCola wrote: »
    I would be holding off calling a season a failure if we finish outside top 4 without context though.

If we were to hit par (5th) then there wasn't going to be much to play for this season.

The only disappointment was the lack of a run in the FA cup, really.

If you take the season as a whole so far, that's the only real failure and that can happen in the cups.

So long as cup performances don't become a chronic problem (slightly concerned about how many Jurgen has lost and how we seeme to cower away from City) it's not that big of a deal.

If we want top 4, the kind of thing we'll have to do is win our next 3 games - Spurs(H), Leicester(A), Arsenal(H).

I think we should be. We're supposed to relish the big games and Leicester are hopeless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Vicxas wrote: »
    Christ......

He plays for City I think.

If lallana is out than Henderson, can & wij' in midfield.
    Gomez in for lovren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Warm weather trainer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Gbear wrote: »
    Leicester are hopeless.

We all know where Leicester are getting their next 3 points don't we?

We all know where Leicester are getting their next 3 points don't we?

Down the back of the couch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool are the Robin Hoods of the Premier League.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Karius back in goal on Saturday according to David Maddock who is a journo for someone, the mirror perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

5starpool wrote: »
    Karius back in goal on Saturday according to David Maddock who is a journo for someone, the mirror perhaps?

Is there a possibility we could play 11 outfield players?

In all seriousness though, Mignolet is finished after that **** up at hull. I don't think Karius is that bad.

Not surprising really I'd stick with Karius now to the end of the season no matter what.

If Karius makes a mistake we can at least all say Mignolet probably would have made the same one anyway.

It could be the making of Karius (I doubt it myself) or at least we will definitely know we need a new first choice keeper next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Mig is not what we need.

Give Karius a run and see what he can do. Personally I really hate watching them both but lets see if Karius can deliver on some of his promise.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I doubt Karius will be sold in the summer, but I wouldn't be gutted to see them both moved on as we need someone reliable, well more reliable in a good way than either of them have been so far. I really hope we don't sign Joe Hart though.

Karius makes me even more anxious than Mignolet does and Mignolet makes me REALLY REALLY anxious. Valium on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Karius makes me even more anxious than Mignolet does and Mignolet makes me REALLY REALLY anxious. Valium on Saturday.

I'm the same. Serious pressure on karius sat now.

I'm the same. Serious pressure on karius sat now.

In fairness to him he hasn't looked like a rabbit in the headlights in the cup games he played recently. I can't trust him yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

5starpool wrote: »

Hard for a keeper to keep his place after he makes two howlers in two games on the trot. You're asking to get dropped.

• Advertisement

We all thought Rodgers joining Celtic was silly move, it has turned out so well though. He's breaking the only records you can beat up there and doing it in style.
    His stock has risen again. He's the type of guy who could take over at Real and go unbeaten in a season there too.

Karius is 24 in June..... he's getting a game Sat as Mig is sh1t.... Mig got his place back as karius was sh1t.

It's a ridiculous situation for us to be in.

Who is less crap this week, is that how we pick our keeper /

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/765433/Liverpool-Premier-League-Dietmar-Hamann-complacent-ambitions-football-news

“It’s complacency. Complacency is the biggest issue the club faces at the moment. People believe, ‘we are Liverpool, we are going to be all right’. No, they’re not all right.”

https://www.balls.ie/football/jordan-henderson-liverpool-john-giles-358745
    Johnny Giles
    ''Henderson is not going to create anything. He's one of the most non-creative players I've ever seen playing in midfield and they have Can who doesn't have a creative bone in his amazing body.
    He's a good athlete but I don't think Henderson is a player at all, every ball he gets is back and sideways, it's like watching a woman trying to park.

You're not going to break anyone down. If the opposition have the ball, Can can win it, Henderson can win it ''sometimes'' and pass to other people but once the opposition give them the ball and say 'break us down', I don't think they have a brain cell between them to do it, or the ability to do it.
    The biggest problem is that when they do lose it, they can't defend, I mean who runs with his legs in this league ''

redzerdrog wrote: »
    A lot of sense being talked here and probably how most rational fans feel about this year

Just not the 20 posters who thanked Harry's post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

https://www.balls.ie/football/jordan-henderson-liverpool-john-giles-358745
    Johnny Giles
    ''Henderson is not going to create anything. He's one of the most non-creative players I've ever seen playing in midfield and they have Can who doesn't have a creative bone in his amazing body.
    He's a good athlete but I don't think Henderson is a player at all, every ball he gets is back and sideways, it's like watching a woman trying to park.

You're not going to break anyone down. If the opposition have the ball, Can can win it, Henderson can win it ''sometimes'' and pass to other people but once the opposition give them the ball and say 'break us down', I don't think they have a brain cell between them to do it, or the ability to do it.
    The biggest problem is that when they do lose it, they can't defend, I mean who runs with his legs in this league ''
    Hard to argue with that . He do is a good player he just isn't good enough and never will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

noodler wrote: »
    Just not the 20 posters who thanked Harry's post!

I did say the word rational!! There are some headcases that thanked Harrys post!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Henderson can be plenty creative I think when it's instinctive. He struggles when we play the slow tempo possession game that we have been doing since new years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Henderson can be plenty creative I think when it's instinctive. He struggles when we play the slow tempo possession game that we have been doing since new years

yeah, has a great eye for a quickly taken through ball.

I never put too much stock in what Giles says about individual players or teams though. I think he's still great when it comes to football approaches, and tactics etc, but I just don't think he watches enough football to give a solid opinion on any particular footballer. His judgements always feel like snap opinions formed from a highlights package or two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

He's the type of guy who could take over at Real and go unbeaten in a season there too.
    Shur I could nearly manage that myself.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement