Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

We all thought Rodgers joining Celtic was silly move, it has turned out so well though. He's breaking the only records you can beat up there and doing it in style.
    His stock has risen again. He's the type of guy who could take over at Real and go unbeaten in a season there too.

Firstly, the Real comment is insane. Secondly, no one said it was a bad move, the majority of people in here said it was a great move for him as it will allow him to win trophies fairly easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Neither of our keepers are fit to wear the shirt.

We will only improve as a club when we step up and pay up.

I understand Klopp's comments re Draxler. Problem with it is, it can be used to defend every negotiation with a player that turns sour.

The last 2 windows we have spent nothing in real terms. On top of that we have increases in TV money. Crystal Palace have outspent us by 40m in the last 9 months.

That's not to say we throw silly money around. I dont believe it would be that hard to improve our defence and keeper situation. This is the part of the team that is letting everyone else down. No club ever went anywhere fast when it had to play 'old' experienced midfielders in defence for long periods of time. That's neglect and/or lack of ambition.

Personally, the owners/Klopp, everyone involved, has one more window to show ambition, otherwise im going to the dark side in a major fashion. I simply wont be listening to stuff like the Chilwell story anymore. If you want the player, if you think he is good enough, have the courage of your convictions and reach an agreement. This messing around over 2/3m for a critical area is something i wont be tolerating after the summer. When i say tolerating, i mean tolerating the arguments defending it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Who is our best young goal keeper, we'd seen a few of the younger out field players, about time we saw a keeper. Can't be any worse.

Shamal George seems to be of great potential .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Shamal George seems to be of great potential .

Can play as a striker too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I quite like the look of Demarai Gray at Leicester as a good young winger, could be a steal if they go down.

https://twitter.com/dominicking_dm/status/829820840682323969

Not sure how reliable this guy is but you might be happy :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

NukaCola wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/dominicking_dm/status/829820840682323969

Not sure how reliable this guy is but you might be happy :pac:

:pac:
    Good excuse to pop up his goal from last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Augeo wrote: »
    That's a weak enough midfield, with Mane and AN Other on the other wing and Bobby up top you're looking at 6 non get in your face type players.

Soft as sh1t really........... and where does Wij' go? The bench?

I'm just going on the way we're playing at the minute, which is possession based football. Teams are letting us have the ball but we have no creativity to break them down. 2 wingers will stretch teams and create gaps. Lallana and Coutinho in the middle will then create the chances more easily. The dm can be the in your face type player but with all the possession we have, we don't need another one too badly in the forward positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

martyos121 wrote: »
    Can play as a striker too.
    Fly keeper.

#sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

If we keep getting overrun by teams breaking on us surely a top DM will come in as well as others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

If we miss out on 4th & sign Demarai Gray to try improve our side then I think we need to ask what our goal is.
    We need to be signing players to improve our starting XI too many question marks about both our goalkeepers, having no starting left back, Lovren, Henderson and lacking a goalscorer as we have no player on more than 9 goals; 6 months into the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

ERG89 wrote: »
    If we miss out on 4th & sign Demarai Gray to try improve our side then I think we need to ask what our goal is.
    We need to be signing players to improve our starting XI too many question marks about both our goalkeepers, having no starting left back, Lovren, Henderson and lacking a goalscorer as we have no player on more than 9 goals; 6 months into the season.

True, if ings had stayed fit it could have been a different story. He will never reach his potential after all those injuries. Firmino being played as a striker a lot of games and has not delivered when others were missing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

We have scored the most goals in the league. Our full back takes the penos which hinders a forward player being on more goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

sword1 wrote: »
    True, if ings had stayed fit it could have been a different story. He will never reach his potential after all those injuries. Firmino being played as a striker a lot of games and has not delivered when others were missing

Ings was never good enough in the first place. I feel like Sturridge has gotten worse every game he has played which is the opposite of normal. Origi is hard to pin down. Hes gotten game time under Klopp but drifts in & out of form. He's not going to get as many chances next season unless Klopp backs him which he probably won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

If we miss out on CL we'd probably be getting Europa League next season; Gray would make sense to me as a squad player in that case. If you saw the line-up in the early cup games you'll know we need to improve the depth of the squad, and you can't practically have 22 senior players on the same footing vying for starts.

So long as we don't lose anyone we want to keep and also replace the likes of Lucas, Stewart, Mignolet etc I would have no problem with Gray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

That's not a problem in Klopps eyes. He used a converted winger as a fullback in Dortmund. I fully expect a young LB to be signed this summer and him to begin learning his trade with Klopp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

noodler wrote: »
    Just not the 20 posters who thanked Harry's post!

27 now I'll have you know - I'm starting a cult :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Who is our best young goal keeper, we'd seen a few of the younger out field players, about time we saw a keeper. Can't be any worse.

Think most of them are out on loan, that's why the brought in Manninger

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If Lallana is out, I think bringing Lucas in as a DM with Henderson and Gini ahead of him would be a good option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yet another reason why no 4th would be a failure imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Could be risky but what about putting Mig and Karius in net tomorrow?

Something like.....

.....................................Mignolet Karius...............................

Clyne................................ ....Matip...................................Moreno

...........................................Hendo...........................................

....................................Wij............Coutinho............................

.....................Mane................Firmino.....................Origi

I think it has potential, thoughts/opinions lads? Just not sure whether Karius or Mig are more suited to left or right, does anyone know if they prefer their left or right hand respectively?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

DS15 to start tomorrow and save the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Liverpool need to play with a striker. Either Original or Sturridge.

Maybe move Henderson further up so that he can pressure their defense as Sturridge can't do that.

I still have marginally greater faith in Mig than Karius.

I guess fair is fair though to give Karius another chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Henderson does a terrific job in his position. I dont understand the criticism.

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »

He's playing as DM (at least some of his role is DM), we've let in 30 goals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I agree. He hasn't been great the past couple of weeks but I really don't think he is an issue with regard to the number of goals we concede. Its to do with what's behind him and the all out attacking style of play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

^^^ I too like to get high on Friday afternoons :)

I think what Giles said about him not having that incisive through ball in his game was correct. It's mostly backwards and sideways passes. He is not going to unlock many defences.

And as the other poster alluded above he is not a great DM either although I don't think he was ever suited to that role.

All in all he seems like a nice guy but probably the most uninspiring Liverpool Captain I can remember.

Would he get in to many other of the top six teams midfield as a starter? Maybe Arsenal at a push.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Johnny Giles
    ''it's like watching a woman trying to park.''

What a dinosaur

8-10 wrote: »
    What a dinosaur

Toby?

As I think you will find that was his own little addition to what Giles said.

• Advertisement

___________Mig__________

___Clyne__Matip__Lovern___

_________Hender_________

Milner___________Moreno_____

________Lalanna___________

___Mane______Coutinho____

________Firmino_____________

Kill em that way .

On Henderson as a DM.

Isn't one of the main attributes of a DM to protect what's behind him while giving those in front of him the freedom to attack.

Henderson doesn't do that.

Henderson is trying to do the QB version of it and he's not that good at that either it's mostly sideways or backwards passes with the odd 40 yard cross field pass.

Henderson at his best is an attacking midfielder not a DM.

On Henderson as a DM.

Isn't one of the main attributes of a DM to protect what's behind him while giving those in front of him the freedom to attack.

Henderson doesn't do that.

Henderson is trying to do the QB version of it and he's not that good at that either it's mostly sideways or backwards passes with the odd 40 yard cross field pass.

Henderson at his best is an attacking midfielder not a DM.

Henderson was carrying the Can last few games.
    He drifted into attack, trying to be the one who made that killer pass or cross. Maybe if he was asked to defend only he might do better. We sold Allen a player more suited to this role Henderson is playing. Henderson is getting a free pass as captain and because he's a good guy.

8-10 wrote: »
    What a dinosaur

Toby?

As I think you will find that was his own little addition to what Giles said.

Ah so it's me who is slow here. Makes sense as it would have been an outrageous quote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Some on here seem to be trying to either drop him or sell him every other week.

Don't get it myself.

I see Giles apparently had a right go at him there last night on the radio because he's not creative enough or something. He's not that type of player. We have others in the side that should be creating stuff like Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino, etc. Henderson usually still gets his fair share of goals and assists most years but obviously is playing a lot deeper this season.

And to be honest a lot of the goals we concede seem to be from individual mistakes from the keeper or defenders. Hard to blame Henderson for those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So according to Klopp, Mig hasnt been dropped.

So Karius dead cert to start tomorrow.

That Lovren video on being a refugee went up today, pretty powerful stuff:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Augeo wrote: »
    He's playing as DM (at least some of his role is DM), we've let in 30 goals :)

The two fullbacks in the oppositions penalty box for 90 mins is leaving the CB's horribly exposed and Henderson isn't a DM in the mould of Kante he's more of a holding midfielder who just recycling possession.

I'd have Mascherano back in a heart beat just the player we need.

Liverpool have banned the S*n from Anfield and Melwood in all capacities effective immediately.

Liverpool have banned the S*n from Anfield and Melwood in all capacities effective immediately.

Something happen recently?

rob316 wrote: »
    The two fullbacks in the oppositions penalty box for 90 mins is leaving the CB's horribly exposed and Henderson isn't a DM in the mould of Kante he's more of a holding midfielder who just recycling possession.

I'd have Mascherano back in a heart beat just the player we need.

Indeed, the way our fullbacks play is ludicrous, well Clyne anyway, poses little attacking threat and as you say leaves us very exposed.

Would have thought that was implemented years ago?
    Surely no one would wander about an LFC ground with that tucked under their arm.

• Advertisement

Reporters from the &*%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Yes the reporters, thought that was obvious. You'd be some plank to walk around the club, or anywhere really, with that rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I find it remarkable that it's taken so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

mosstin wrote: »
    I find it remarkable that it's taken so long.

If they had done it years ago before the exoneration it'd look like they're "hiding their guilt" or something along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Vicxas wrote: »
    If they had done it years ago before the exoneration it'd look like they're "hiding their guilt" or something along those lines.

I agree, the way matters have unfolded, the time is now ripe for this. The club's position is pretty much unarguable. I expect they've been working on this for months and weighing it up, I'm thinking back to the way Klopp politely cut off one of their reporters in a presser earlier this season.

Regardless of how morally correct this is, let's not underestimate just how a big a step it is to challenge the Murdoch machine in this way, given its enormous power and influence globally.

I'd expect some sort backlash from Murdoch's other media machines like The Times and Sky soon enough even in subtle ways but the Murdoch's don't do subtle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

All reporters should be banned, they serve no purpose and are certainly not actually needed. A club secretary can just read out a one page statement every week at the stadium gates.

"hear ye, hear ye..."

All reporters should be banned, they serve no purpose and are certainly not actually needed. A club secretary can just read out a one page statement every week at the stadium gates.

"hear ye, hear ye..."

Press conferences and interviews give next to nothing in terms of insight, and every club is the same.

Just announce who is back in training and who is a fitness doubt and all of the questions are answered. And even with those you have to take with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

hendo has a great final ball ,through pass, teams sit so deep against us most the time he cant play them, he has his faults but his passing isnt one of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement