Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

butter-candies-kv-76ef0cfaa71cf9f14d5cea0600f5a86d.jpg

Or Sturridge up front tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Someone already said before that Henderson is better at the instinctive passing. I'm thinking of 1-2's with Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge. The quick chipped crosses etc..

I think when he's in the advanced CM position he's more effective. He can "do a job" in the defense but he's not as good IMO and the team suffers as a result.

I wonder would Can & Winaldjum be a better pairing than Can & Henderson?

Random thought time:

Does anyone think Coutinho could play the Alonso role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

brevity wrote: »
    Random thought time:

When he is 32 and we dont need him further up to score goals, provide assists and generally cut through opposition defences... Perhaps.

noodler wrote: »
    When he is 32 and we dont need him further up to score goals, provide assists and generally cut through opposition defences... Perhaps.

So no then :)

Edit: He can do those things from the Alonso role too though

• Advertisement

So no then :)

And for that reason I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Random thought time:

God no. Not unless you want him shooting on site from the half-way line.

Actually, scratch that.... Alonso scored goals from the half-way line too.
    Is there anything that gorgeous basstid couldn't do? :pac:

Seriously though.... Nah Coutinho will never have the discipline for that sort of role. He's far too lightweight and gung-ho by nature.
    Not a criticism, just an observation.
    Alonso could have done the Coutinho role better than the other way around.

I'd say Coutinho will still be doing "the Coutinho role" well into his late thirties coz it's not a role that requires much pace or energy.
    He will just keep getting better at what he already does brilliantly. Best years are ahead of him, please God let most of them be with us.....

What worries me about recent posts is that i saw one or two alternative suggested formations and Moreno was back in the starting eleven.

You know things are bad when you see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

If teams keep playing the way they currently are against us then Moreno could really help. We've been done in by poor players with great pace week after week recently, pace is so important and we've got so little of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

All reporters should be banned, they serve no purpose and are certainly not actually needed. A club secretary can just read out a one page statement every week at the stadium gates.

"hear ye, hear ye..."

Wouldn't agree with this at all. There's the Sky Sports journos who ask the waffly questions which set their own self-serving agenda but there are times clubs need to be held accountable for certain things or questioned about how they're functioning behind the scenes.
    Having to listen to club's generate their own one-sided PR nonsense would be a little too North Korean for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

If teams keep playing the way they currently are against us then Moreno could really help. We've been done in by poor players with great pace week after week recently, pace is so important and we've got so little of it.

It's amazing how often he gets lobbed in as an option when we start doing badly. I'm utterly done with Moreno; his ineptitude, his utter lack of positioning, his recklessness. I would far rather promote some of the younger lads than throw him in just to annoy us all again. He's the outfield equivalent of Mignolet.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    It's amazing how often he gets lobbed in as an option when we start doing badly. I'm utterly done with Moreno; his ineptitude, his utter lack of positioning, his recklessness. I would far rather promote some of the younger lads than throw him in just to annoy us all again. He's the outfield equivalent of Mignolet.

I'm done with him in defence, but we need someone who can run in behind on the wing. Even just having him there to take defenders attention is better than what we're doing at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Someone already said before that Henderson is better at the instinctive passing. I'm thinking of 1-2's with Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge. The quick chipped crosses etc..

I think when he's in the advanced CM position he's more effective. He can "do a job" in the defense but he's not as good IMO and the team suffers as a result.

I wonder would Can & Winaldjum be a better pairing than Can & Henderson?

I've said it a few times before and I do think the less thinking he does the better. Push him a bit further up and free him of the discipline and he can do a job pestering the opposition defence and he can do quick incisive balls on the break.
    That ball recently was a beaut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I still have marginally greater faith in Mig than Karius.

I guess fair is fair though to give Karius another chance.

Hopefully his second chance goes as well with us as it did at Mainz. I remember one of his interviews after he joined, saying he broke into the Mainz first team after a keeper injury/suspension but got dropped when the keeper returned. Then, a few months later, got his second chance and stayed as first choice for the rest of his time there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I'd expect some sort backlash from Murdoch's other media machines like The Times and Sky soon enough even in subtle ways but the Murdoch's don't do subtle.

Any LFC players or staff that have any dirty little secrets should be feeling pretty nervous right now.

The Sun's hacks will be sniffing around 24/7.

No tabloid will take a public humiliation like that lying down, you can be certain of that.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I've said it a few times before and I do think the less thinking he does the better. Push him a bit further up and free him of the discipline and he can do a job pestering the opposition defence and he can do quick incisive balls on the break.
    That ball recently was a beaut

Yeah I'm all for this in theory. And by the way you're spot on about the less thinking bit.
    He's at his best when he does things quickly/instinctively. Good shout.

Problem is.... If you move Henderson further forward then what happens to the dynamic overall?
    I think our best trio up front is Coutinho and Mane and Firmino.
    So now you have henderson behind them and you're left with Lallana and Wij as our protection for the back 4?
    Too soft.
    And even if you go Can and Lallana you're still left with Can doing what he does which is staying central and not spotting dangers on the wings so we'd get hockeyed out of it by anyone attacking down the flanks and whipping in crosses.
    And we all know how great we are with dealing with crosses.

So if you move Henderson further up the field you need someone akin to Payet who will run across the entire breadth of the defensive third of the field snuffing out danger and we dont have anyone who can do that.
    Henderson is the closest we have.
    And that's the very fella we're talking about moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I still miss Alonso, I'm still mourning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

After Suarez, Alonso is my favorite player in the last 20 years and one of the true World Class players we have had.

Lex Luthor wrote: »

Who doesn't fella? A Rolls Royce of a player.

Used to love that chant as well.
    We've got the best midfield in the world...
    We've got Xabi Alonso, Momo Sissoko, Gerrard and Mascherano.

Was fckin true as well.

And for all the (unfair) flack Rafa got from some of our fans, he built that midfield.

If I built a midfield like that I'd stick it on my feckin epitaph nevermind my CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mosstin wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree with this at all. There's the Sky Sports journos who ask the waffly questions which set their own self-serving agenda but there are times clubs need to be held accountable for certain things or questioned about how they're functioning behind the scenes.
    Having to listen to club's generate their own one-sided PR nonsense would be a little too North Korean for my liking.
    50955921.jpg

Presser.

• Advertisement

Athletic Bilbao star Inaki Williams flattered by reported Liverpool interest

Williams told Sportium:
    "Lots of things are coming out in the news but I am calm.

"If [Liverpool] are looking at me it's because I'm doing things well. I'm very lucky.

"If tomorrow I had to leave I would always be very honest with Athletic. They've given me everything.

"The first I would do is speak to the president [if I wanted to leave.]"

Williams reportedly has a £42.5m release in his contract, but he insists that he is happy with life in his hometown.

"I love this club, my team-mates and the city. I'm happy in Bilbao. Same for my family.

"Staying put is my only option right now though."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/athletic-bilbao-star-inaki-williams-12589146

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lex Luthor wrote: »

He's my favourite ever player for Liverpool. Class act.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    He's my favourite ever player for Liverpool. Class act.

Really?

Fair play, can't argue with another man's favourite all time Red, that's to their own.

But just surprised.

I love Xabi to bits too. But ahead of Dalglish and Fowler and Gerrard and Rush... oh and Alan hansen, even Sami Hyppia and so many others?
    Just surprising.

Dunno who I would pick myself but would have Dalglish and Fowler and Stevie ahead of Xabi. Nice compliment for a great player though.

Tis a personal thing anyway so not questioning you fella. (despite it maybe sounding that way)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Klopp going to fight for rest of season, can see that in press conference. Too often we have quit half way through. He will keep them at it .

Klopp going to fight for rest of season, can see that in press conference. Too often we have quit half way through. He will keep them at it .

Course he will and so he should. Long way to go yet.

I still firmly believe we'll get top-4 personally.

It's wide open. Even a couple of The Bitters players have been saying in interviews lately that they think they can get top-4.
    So while you have to respect the difference between ambition and delusion, we're on the right side of that fence.
    Everything to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I'd expect some sort backlash from Murdoch's other media machines like The Times and Sky soon enough even in subtle ways but the Murdoch's don't do subtle.

Sure the commentators on Sky will just be as normal and show how biased they are :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Kevint30

Hi all, quick question, bringing my kid over for his first Liverpool game against Everton, April 1. We will be heading over on match day and heading back home Sunday. Anyone have any idea if it would be possible to meet players for a few pics and signatures after the game, and what I would need to do to make it happen. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Kevint30 wrote: »
    Hi all, quick question, bringing my kid over for his first Liverpool game against Everton, April 1. We will be heading over on match day and heading back home Sunday. Anyone have any idea if it would be possible to meet players for a few pics and signatures after the game, and what I would need to do to make it happen. Thanks

Yes I can help, I will PM you with my Bank account details, €100 gets you an academy player photo and signature, €250 for subs and €400 for first 11 :cool:

Yes I can help, I will PM you with my Bank account details, €100 gets you an academy player photo and signature, €250 for subs and €400 for first 11 :cool:

That's charming.

@ Kevin, it's not as easy as used to be. But a quick autograph is still doable.

Sent you a PM there about a good crowd to ask, best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

So, Spurs today eh? The last time they beat us iirc was in 2012 under Rodgers. Since that game it's been some very good wins for us and a few draws, I'd like to think we will put in a performance today but it all feels a little deflated and I'm not sure what else klopp can do to change the team around with that he has at his disposal. In any case I'd like to see wijnaldum in for can to give a bit more energy to the midfield. Firmino needs a few games off too I think but Sturridge just dosnt do it under klopp and origi is in the doldrums a bit. Need big games from Phil and lallana!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Very positive about today. Perfect opportunity to get back on track. Hopefully we'll have close to a full first choice starting 11. Spurs are a good side and will play football, i think that suits us better funnily enough.

Really?

Fair play, can't argue with another man's favourite all time Red, that's to their own.

But just surprised.

I love Xabi to bits too. But ahead of Dalglish and Fowler and Gerrard and Rush... oh and Alan hansen, even Sami Hyppia and so many others?
    Just surprising.

Dunno who I would pick myself but would have Dalglish and Fowler and Stevie ahead of Xabi. Nice compliment for a great player though.

Tis a personal thing anyway so not questioning you fella. (despite it maybe sounding that way)

I don't really remember much of Fowler because I was still quite young watching him. I was only 5 when he signed so don't remember anything of his early years with us.

I loved Hyypia as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Spurs record against us lately is fairly pants.

They've started turning the losses into draws a bit more but the last time they beat us was 2012 - 10 games ago.

I think the game will be tight, be played at an insane pace and the quality will be fairly bad.
    Not much of a prediction, mind you, given that's been par for the course in all our games against the rest of the top 6 this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Today's game is a bit of an odd one. Due to the recent results, everybody is saying that the system needs to change and the media are speculating about how Klopp can refresh the team

Having said that, today's game is against a top 6 side, and the existing tactics have been largely working in these games. Chelsea game recently was our best performance in January.

So with that in mind, while like most people I want to see changes in how we play, I don't necessarily want to see them today!

Good test for Spurs really... play their normal way and that should suit us. Be a but dumb to play to the strengths of opposition on 3 pts from last 5 games IMO.

Spurs might show us they themselves have an ole plan B. If they do ...... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Not looking forward to this. Could be a kick when we are already down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Markovic starts for Hull against Arsenal.

Arsenal playing nicer ball in 20 minutes than we have in two months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

Bellerin chance was more a sitter than Sanchez one. Arsenal thread still not happy with team selection. Arsenal playing well and it will be hard to see them not winning this.

And yet are only 1 point ahead.

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    And yet are only 1 point ahead.

Other teams have had wobbly patches lately as well.

Our problem will be if they put a run of form together, will we be able to match it or will we in fact fall further behind.

Of course, we were also absolutely brilliant and that did give us a cushion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Who's gonna do the match thread so? Who doesn't have a shîte record with them more importantly? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Markovic looking lively for hull. Just dusted Koscielny and crossed a lovely ball in to niasse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

hefferboi wrote: »
    Markovic looking lively for hull. Just dusted Koscielny and crossed a lovely ball in to niasse.

And just there when Gibbs was last man and he only got yellow for taking markovic down

His pace would defn be a much needed option for us from the bench but obviously Klopp don't rate him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Markovic looking decent here today against Arsenal. Should have even seen Gibbs sent off for a challenge on him when through on goal....

Markovic has had such odd treatment at Liverpool. Big money was spent on him and he has almost never gotten to play in a position that suits him.

When it comes to players like Markovic I will defer my opinion to those who worked with him on a day to day basis. Rodgers wasn't convinced and Klopp didn't seem too impressed. As a young player he needs game time and hopefully this time will stand to him further down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

He's probably at his level at Hull but going back to what I was saying the other day about our formation, he'd suit us down to the ground on the other wing. Had a tendency to be afraid to take players on but he's doing it here today. Has electric pace.

He was like a deer caught in the headlights at Liverpool.

More space, not having to be active in a game for every minute, less pressure.
    Seems like a good fit for him.

Dunno would it be uncharitable to say that's his level but it's a situation that'd presumably suit him a lot better irrespective of the level of play.

That LB (Robertson) looks half decent. Anyone seen much of him?

hefferboi wrote: »
    He's probably at his level at Hull but going back to what I was saying the other day about our formation, he'd suit us down to the ground on the other wing. Had a tendency to be afraid to take players on but he's doing it here today. Has electric pace.

He was like a deer caught in the headlights at Liverpool.

Did Benfica not try sell us his brother at the same time because Marko found it hard to settle and had homesickness at Benfica until his brother joined.

Maybe he's matured a bit now and has gotten over that and can push on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement