Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Great performance, and great win... but I still don't really feel any better about the smaller teams. The opportunities we got today just won't happen against a blanket defense. This reminds me a little of the Man City Leicester game this year, where City did exactly what Leicester needed for the foxes to cut through them.

Spurs today couldn't have been more tailor made for us to destroy.

We still need teams to try to come at us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

mosstin wrote: »
    Absolutely wonderful that. Where was that energy the last month? Regardless, 3 huge points and 16 days to rest tired bodies. Gini was absolutely immense tonight.

The energy is always there.

We just haven't always had Mané to stretch teams, and we've been up against teams who park the bus, and we're shít at breaking them down, especially without Sadio.

There's no mystery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Big relief to win that.

2 weeks break now. Plenty of recovery time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Great performance, and great win... but I still don't really feel any better about the smaller teams. The opportunities we got today just won't happen against a blanket defense. This reminds me a little of the Man City Leicester game this year, where City did exactly what Leicester needed for the foxes to cut through them.

Spurs today couldn't have been more tailor made for us to destroy.

We still need teams to try to come at us.

It's been said before, the best policy against the low block teams is to give the ball to them high up the field and then win it back. Not sure how mane sane that would be though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Lucas!! Was bloody great at CB tonight. Wtf??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It's ridiculous how much difference mane makes to us .
    Midfield played well also.
    Credit Lucas and Mig.
    Today could have went a lot worse when I saw the team sheets but we looked back to where we were 7 weeks ago.
    Clean sheet too for Linda.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Great stuff a good win and a good performance was badly needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

SlickRic wrote: »
    The energy is always there.

We just haven't always had Mané to stretch teams, and we've been up against teams who park the bus, and we're shít at breaking them down, especially without Sadio.

There's no mystery.

We looked utterly listless against Hull I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's been said before, the best policy against the low block teams is to give the ball to them high up the field and then win it back. Not sure how mane sane that would be though.

It's really true though! At tip off, we should almost just touch it, leave it there, and all retreat from it.

And it sounds insane, but sometimes I think instead of trying to pick that perfect through ball, we're almost better off smashing it at the legs of the defender, have them miss-control, and swarm the loose ball in the box :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Really good performance, cant remember Mig having a better game for us, he actually looked like a GK today making good decisions, claiming crosses and having quick distribution, I could get used to that very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Great performance, superb displays all round, let's hope that's a kickstart for the rest of the season and not a false dawn, the confidence should be back after that, I thought Wijnaldum was brilliant, lovely pass for the opener, and just so composed on the ball, let's leave Can on the bench for a while.

Wijnaldum is the secret ingredient - Hendo/Can is horribly ponderous and regressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wijnaldum is the secret ingredient - Hendo/Can is horribly ponderous and regressive.

Can is Mr sideways. Wijnaldum likes to go forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Wij breaks up play well also......a really good signing. If we can add another 3 first teamers like Matip, Wij and Mané in the summer we'll be in great shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Happy new year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Huge relief more than anything. We so very badly needed that.

We were outstanding throughout, flew out of the traps early on and then managed the game well, which is unusual for us.

A good few of us owe Lucas a pint. He played well despite our worries.

It's a great win and lovely to see us back to looking like ourselves.

Of course we have won games like these before and then been burned so there's ney point getting carried away.

But at the very least this is a tonic that we badly needed and hopefully we can build on it now.

16 days till the next game at the very least.

So nice Winter break for the team.

Where are all The End is Nigh posters I guess we won't see them again till we lose against Leicester:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hopefully the sky has stopped falling now and the doom and gloom merchants are back in hiding.

Safe to say we're still the best football team in the league. Klopp needs to figure out the packed defence problem though, and I reckon given the players we're linked to he has an idea of it.

We are just off our worst run in 20 something years and are 1 point off second.

utd are on the best run in Europe and are still 6th :P

WDWDWDDW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Thank god we put in a good performance and won that before 16 days off. 16 days after another loss would have been unbearable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Sadio Mane cures hangovers lads.

That was just great, Mane could've had 4, Davies will be having nightmares for weeks. Dembele looks some player, impossible to get the ball off him. Firmino was very understated today, he didn't put in a great performance on the ball but he was chasing men down until the last minute, and of course the one time he got into a good area he was tripped by Alderweireld. Lot of heavy fouling from Spurs.

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come and not just a blip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

First up on Motd tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Charlie19 wrote: »
    First up on Motd tonight.

Been a while since I watched MOTD. Happy New Year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

After Suarez, Alonso is my favorite player in the last 20 years and one of the true World Class players we have had.

The one and only player I got on the back of my shirt never did it before him and never after him.

I don't have to watch MOTD from behind my fingers - much scarier than any episode of Dr Who recently.

16 days till the next game at the very least.

So nice Winter break for the team.

Where are all The End is Nigh posters I guess we won't see them again till we lose against Leicester:pac::pac:
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Hopefully the sky has stopped falling now and the doom and gloom merchants are back in hiding.

Safe to say we're still the best football team in the league. Klopp needs to figure out the packed defence problem though, and I reckon given the players we're linked to he has an idea of it.

Those who stir the pot should be made to lick the spoon imo. Take an hour off lads, stop chuckling and enjoy a win.

Glad that win came as I think we could have had a few Doughboy meltdowns if we had lost.

Although that would have been fun as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

NukaCola wrote: »
    Really good performance, cant remember Mig having a better game for us, he actually looked like a GK today making good decisions, claiming crosses and having quick distribution, I could get used to that very easily.

Yup, a standout performance from him. Even looked like he was going to level the opposition player when coming for a cross 2 or 3 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

They should go off on a 10 day break to Palermo . Get some sun.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Thank god we put in a good performance and won that before 16 days off. 16 days after another loss would have been unbearable!

I knew we only had 3 games in the February but 16 days, thats mad Ted.

I think there might be a lot of breakfast talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Fantastic performance and a badly needed win.

Strangely, i was never worried about today, any team that comes to play a game of football we're well able to beat them, it's the Hull's and Bournemouth's and Man utd's of the league we need to find an answer for.
    I feel that the solution to that problem lies in new personell rather than a change in tactics, and i hope we address that in the summer window. It would be nice to be able to offer champs league football for any potential signings.

6pts from 18 in 2017...... back in top4 though :)

& mig might be solid for us for next 5 years :pac:

That's another big point actually, Mignolet did everything we needed him to do. He didn't have to make a lot of saves, but he claimed his crosses well and there was the one moment right after the two Mane goals where Son was in and Mignolet made a really great stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Yup, a standout performance from him. Even looked like he was going to level the opposition player when coming for a cross 2 or 3 times.

I'd say he got a bollocking of biblical proportions after the Hull game. Did the trick cos he was great today.

Still likely to be out of top 4 during this break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

This thread needs more lucas love

Still likely to be out of top 4 during this break.

Yup easy win for City tomorrow. Bournemouth are shyte, cant see them getting any type of result. Same goes for Burnley, they were lucky at home all season, wont be any problem for Chelsea.

• Advertisement

Sanchez would never sign for us, we still need a player like him though. Arsenal need to pay up, give him 3 year contract ,giving him 15 million a year for next 3 years is not a lot considering.
    I dunno where we are going to get a player like him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yup easy win for City tomorrow. Bournemouth are shyte, cant see them getting any type of result. Same goes for Burnley, they were lucky at home all season, wont be any problem for Chelsea.

City up to second if they win tomorrow. Few more twists and turns to this yet.

They rarely lose at home though. Gives them a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Great to see the team back playing at a high tempo that really was an excellent first half
    Hope they use this as a springboard for the rest of the season
    The difference between gini and can in midfield is night and day

City up to second if they win tomorrow. Few more twists and turns to this yet.

Jinx is set.

Jinx is set.

No don't call attention to it! Now we have to do a reverse jinx.

Also, no posts in the match thread since 10 minutes after full time, funny how it goes.

Bournemouth seem to be in collapse mode and City have their tails up again.

Mane S. goals 11 assists 4
    Firmino R. goals 8 assists 3
    Lallana A. goals 7 assists 7
    Milner J. goals 6 assists 3
    Coutinho goals 5 assists 5
    Origi D. goals 4 assists 1
    Can E. goals 3 assists 1
    Wijnaldum G. goals 3 assists 4
    Lovren D. goals 2 assists 1
    Sturridge D. goals 2 assists 1
    Henderson J. goals 1 assists 4
    Matip J. goals 1 assists 0
    Clyne N. goals 0 assists 2

Also, no posts in the match thread since 10 minutes after full time, funny how it goes.

Meh, most people aren't bothered by the tit for tat politricks that goes on in match threads.

• Advertisement

Lovren D. goals 2 assists 1
    Sturridge D. goals 2 assists 1

My god.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement