Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

And if Leicester are still in the with a chance against Sevilla going into the second leg...

father_ted_dougal.jpg

Sanchez and his bad body language on now.

Offside and he missed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Clattenburg Englands best ref lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

Augeo wrote: »
    Sanchez and his bad body language on now.

I watched the full game and he did that grumpy look twice that I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Markovic looked decent for hull. He seems a klooopp type of player if I ever seen one, high work rate and pace. Must be an attitude thing similar yo sakho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Markovic looked fantastic today, haven't seen him run at players like that in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Just seen this on a repeat of LOTO.
    Its Redknapp and Barnes doing Rappers Delight and they're actually not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Gbear wrote: »
    I think that highlights one of our issues.

I think they need to be another level above.

This is us on a good day and we still can't kill the game off because we don't have enough quality in the box.
    We need a better standard of attacker and not just more of the same.

We'll get there, dont think there's many players out there a level above those 3 that can be easily gotten at this point of our development.
    Maybe there is, and maybe thats the plan, I guess what I'm getting at is those players have integrated well and will probably get to another level, signings like that should always be welcomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Interesting to see klopp hug every player till Mig .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Klopp was probably afraid he'd drop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Klopp was probably afraid he'd drop him.

Joking aside I was very surprised Mig started. Says more about Klopp's faith in Karius than anything else imo.
    Mignolet was decisive today to give him his due and I was pleased he didn't have me questioning if the 6 second rule still exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Mignolet did come out to catch one ball the way a child would catch it, very low and into his stomach, there were players around him who had instant regret that they did not see that lame catch coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mignolet did come out to catch one ball the way a child would catch it, very low and into his stomach, there were players around him who had instant regret that they did not see that lame catch coming.

I remember that. Scared the bejaysus out of me. Put your arms up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

cjmc wrote: »
    Interesting to see klopp hug every player till Mig .

I'd still class it as a hug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Markovic looked decent for hull. He seems a klooopp type of player if I ever seen one, high work rate and pace. Must be an attitude thing similar yo sakho

Well, he wasn't displaying the high workrate before - hopefully he's finally gotten his head sorted, and with the rest of the season under Silva, could come back to us a new man next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Or at least earn a decent transfer fee

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Probably won't have to read a week of articles on klopp being found out, the style of play isn't sustainable etc etc this week. The amount of kneejerking opinions in the media is mental this season. We have a small squad because that's all we needed this season. The 6 week period from Xmas to last week was hectic and the only time a bigger squad would've been needed for us. Throw into the mix mane missing and a couple of important players coming back from big injury lay offs its no surprise the performance levels dropped. Back to 1 game a week now and I'd expect us to revert back to the performance levels of the 1st half of the season. 9 wins from the last 13 games should be enough for top 4. When back in Europe next year we will have a bigger squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I've been wondering about the genius decision by Coutinho for the free kick. If the ball went under the wall and hit his hands/arms would a ref see that as a handball? Some might but others might not. Countinho has his elbows on his knees with his hands up. Could be risky depending on who is the ref? Still, it's a very clever idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Probably won't have to read a week of articles on klopp being found out, the style of play isn't sustainable etc etc this week. The amount of kneejerking opinions in the media is mental this season. We have a small squad because that's all we needed this season. The 6 week period from Xmas to last week was hectic and the only time a bigger squad would've been needed for us. Throw into the mix mane missing and a couple of important players coming back from big injury lay offs its no surprise the performance levels dropped. Back to 1 game a week now and I'd expect us to revert back to the performance levels of the 1st half of the season. 9 wins from the last 13 games should be enough for top 4. When back in Europe next year we will have a bigger squad.

Some bizarre logic there. Firstly you criticise the media for pointing out that the squad is too small and then you say the reason for the bad run of form is that the squad is too small.

It's also bizarre that you would agree that the squad size is big enough this season even though that is the reason Liverpool are no longer in a title race.

And then there are people agreeing with you. Is there a lack of ambition at Liverpool? Or is this good win against Spurs just putting you in a good mood that you'll come up with any nonsense to justify what has happened in the last month and a half?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I've been wondering about the genius decision by Coutinho for the free kick. If the ball went under the wall and hit his hands/arms would a ref see that as a handball? Some might but others might not. Countinho has his elbows on his knees with his hands up. Could be risky depending on who is the ref? Still, it's a very clever idea.

How high do you think the wall could jump?? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

spockety wrote: »
    How high do you think the wall could jump?? :eek:

The ball could richochet off a leg and hit his arm, no? It's possible a ref could see that as a penalty. Like I said, some could where others wouldn't.

Is there a lack of ambition at Liverpool? Or is this good win against Spurs just putting you in a good mood that you'll come up with any nonsense to justify what has happened in the last month and a half?

Every team bar Chelsea have gone through a bad spell though. That can probably be put down to a small squad, but having a bigger squad does not mean we definitely would not have gone through a bad spell either. There are probably several reasons for the poor form.

49 points after 25 games would be an encouragement to anyone and still being in a top 4 race after such a poor run. Maybe some expected a title challenge but most are realistic and probably expect top 4 at this stage, is that a lack of ambition? You could argue that point I suppose but I wouldnt agree. We are not at that point yet.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Well, he wasn't displaying the high workrate before - hopefully he's finally gotten his head sorted, and with the rest of the season under Silva, could come back to us a new man next season.

If he gets some consistency and a final ball and he'd be a decent option all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Some bizarre logic there. Firstly you criticise the media for pointing out that the squad is too small and then you say the reason for the bad run of form is that the squad is too small.

It's also bizarre that you would agree that the squad size is big enough this season even though that is the reason Liverpool are no longer in a title race.

And then there are people agreeing with you. Is there a lack of ambition at Liverpool? Or is this good win against Spurs just putting you in a good mood that you'll come up with any nonsense to justify what has happened in the last month and a half?

I never mentioned anything about the media saying stuff about our small squad. I can see why klopp went with a small squad this season and as I pointed out it was a 6 week period over the whole season where a bigger squad was needed. I'm talking about the media and a lot of posters on here and people I speak to thinking what happened in those 6 weeks is the way things will be going forward. I think it makes more sense to look at what the situation was for the first 4 and a half months of the season and realise that that's the set of circumstances we are back at. A game a week and key players available. The squad will be bigger next season as it will need to be. Klopp has alluded to the importance of a smaller squad this year as it creates a tight knit group as everyone is involved. If Liverpool had a utd type squad this year it would be a waste of money and there would be a lot of unhappy players not getting game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Ah now leave OTT out of this the poor lad must be on his death bed so us to have a performance like that today.

Don't get well soon OTT. :p

****ting a lung up for the cause.

I never mentioned anything about the media saying stuff about our small squad. I can see why klopp went with a small squad this season and as I pointed out it was a 6 week period over the whole season where a bigger squad was needed. I'm talking about the media and a lot of posters on here and people I speak to thinking what happened in those 6 weeks is the way things will be going forward. I think it makes more sense to look at what the situation was for the first 4 and a half months of the season and realise that that's the set of circumstances we are back at. A game a week and key players available. The squad will be bigger next season as it will need to be. Klopp has alluded to the importance of a smaller squad this year as it creates a tight knit group as everyone is involved. If Liverpool had a utd type squad this year it would be a waste of money and there would be a lot of unhappy players not getting game time.

You are speaking to some lunatics if they thought 3pts from 5 games & a Plymouth win in 10 all comp games was going to be the way things will be going forward :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i know they lost but how did mama play yesterday does anyone know?

was watching the highlights and beglin says " one player who has not played well since his return from the african nations and it should be a worry,is joel matip" ..

spanners the lot of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

i know they lost but how did mama play yesterday does anyone know?

Didn't start again as far as I know

• Advertisement

There was a moment when Heung Min Son did a sort of flying kick at a Liverpool player, can't remember who, but the NBC commentator described it as a karate kick and then proceeded to do a kung-fu movie style "HiiYa!" when they showed the replay. Not sure I've ever felt more uncomfortable watching a football match.

that was lee dixon

2ppg from our remaining 13 games would have us on 75 points..... that mightn't be top4 finish but a very decent haul for the season and much improved on last season. However it's not at all unreasonable to hope for more given what we've seen over the season so far :)

Of the 25 pm games so far 14W 7D & 4L...... only one of those 4 losses has come in the 6 2017 games so unfortunately we could expect to lose 2 more.

So if we take pts from the other 11 ....

9 wins & 2 draws would yield 29 pts..... season total of 78.
    8 wins & 3 draws yields 27 pts.... total of 76 points.

Bookies now have us best priced 4/5 for top 4... taking their margin and the same again for LFC over punting syndrome (not sure it exists in all markets personally ) and we are a coin toss currently.

Looking at results to date that's about right IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

that was Bruce lee dixon

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Shuda signed Brady :pac:

I know we put two past him yesterday but can we just go all out and buy Lloris?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Shuda signed Brady :pac:

And Long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I know we put two past him yesterday but can we just go all out and buy Lloris?

Lloris, Alderweireld, Eriksen, and Alli are all players we could have been in for if we wanted to. All excellent signings for the money Spurs paid. Regardless of how they might have played yesterday these are the sort of deals I'd like to see us do.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Is there a lack of ambition at Liverpool? Or is this good win against Spurs just putting you in a good mood that you'll come up with any nonsense to justify what has happened in the last month and a half?

Every team bar Chelsea have gone through a bad spell though. That can probably be put down to a small squad, but having a bigger squad does not mean we definitely would not have gone through a bad spell either. There are probably several reasons for the poor form.

49 points after 25 games would be an encouragement to anyone and still being in a top 4 race after such a poor run. Maybe some expected a title challenge but most are realistic and probably expect top 4 at this stage, is that a lack of ambition? You could argue that point I suppose but I wouldnt agree. We are not at that point yet.

Fair enough, but considering Liverpool were looking very strong heading into January and knew that their best player would be gone, they should have added to the squad. It would have been a big boost to the squad and for the fans as it would have shown they were serious about contending.

Clubs go on about it being hard to get someone and Klopp is very picky but if you pay over the odds you can get just about any player who isn't in the CL, and maybe some who are.

There is no guarantee that Liverpool will have as good a chance next season so I don't understand why they didn't go all out for it.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but considering Liverpool were looking very strong heading into January and knew that their best player would be gone, they should have added to the squad. It would have been a big boost to the squad and for the fans as it would have shown they were serious about contending.

Clubs go on about it being hard to get someone and Klopp is very picky but if you pay over the odds you can get just about any player who isn't in the CL, and maybe some who are.

There is no guarantee that Liverpool will have as good a chance next season so I don't understand why they didn't go all out for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

And what happens if we get players like depay or dimaria? Can we afford to pay overtime odds and end up with duds?

If Andy Carroll and Aqua have thought us anythings it's that paying over the odds on flavours of the month guarantees nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Mr.H wrote: »
    And what happens if we get players like depay or dimaria? Can we afford to pay overtime odds and end up with duds?

If Andy Carroll and Aqua have thought us anythings it's that paying over the odds on flavours of the month guarantees nothing

Yup DiMaria, flavour of the month, didn't he play in a few world and Copa America finals along with a few champions league finals...., DePay player of the year and 2 good seasons behind him, by your logic Liverpool shouldn't have signed Suarez

.bar his injuries Andy Carroll has been very good when he's got a run of games.

I'd argue he would be a great option in your current team as an alternate. He's certainly better than Matip up top

The older children were away at Huddersfield in the Premier Cup thingy, ended 2-6 with
    the home side down to 10 men.

Team - Grabara; Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Whelan, Randall; Stewart; Wilson, Virtue, Alves, Woodburn; Ojo

B Williams, N Phillips, Hart, J Williams, T Gomes

Woodburn 10' and 90+2', Virtue 22', Wilson 43' and 52', Ojo 45+1

The reds go to the quarter finals. I'll stick the goals up later (when emre23 has them on youtube!)

I agree, probably said more than once that we could have done with 1/2 additions. I suppose I'll take the managers word that his targets weren't available, for whatever reason that may be. I trust him to build his squad his way and am happy enough to give him the time to do that, but at the same time I do see it as a missed opportunity to go after a few players when a title challenge was still kinda on the cards.

Yup DiMaria, flavour of the month, didn't he play in a few world and Copa America finals along with a few champions league finals...., DePay player of the year and 2 good seasons behind him, by your logic Liverpool shouldn't have signed Suarez

.bar his injuries Andy Carroll has been very good when he's got a run of games.

I'd argue he would be a great option in your current team as an alternate. He's certainly better than Matip up top

Matip played 6 minutes up top, hardly a reason to keep a limited Carroll. If Benteke cant make it work not many would in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Matip played 6 minutes up top, hardly a reason to keep a limited Carroll. If Benteke cant make it work not many would in fairness.

Stick a bid in for elbows? Could he handle the step up?

Benteke isn't making it work at a side with proper wide men on both flanks. One league goal since 10th of December.

Benteke isn't making it work at a side with proper wide men on both flanks. One league goal since 10th of December.

Crystal Palace are pure ****e

Also, since then they've only scored 3 goals......I mean, I'm not excusing Benteke but I dont think anyone can score in that side at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

9 league goals?

I'd be happy with that return.

Liverpool only have one winger and he was away at the Afcon so who'd supply him with ammo?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement