Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Got tickets to an event in a pub for the Arsenal match. LFC TV doing a thing, Q&A, quiz and viewing of the match. Advertised as having Berger, Hyypia, Smicer, Luis Garcia and McAteer, not sure if they'll all actually be there.

What pub is it in? sounds good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Knex. wrote: »
    Speaking of either former players or Man City players... Are we allowed talk about how great Sterling has been this year?

He has been bang average in many games that i've seen... He's a typical English huff and puff merchant probably playing at, or at least very near, his peak... he will start deteriorating by 28.

Speaking of either former players or Man City players... Are we allowed talk about how great Sterling has been this year?

Much of a muchness with Bobby & Bobby effectively was his replacement.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Sterling has had some pretty bad games for City. He's also had a few really good games.
    I still think that he can''t kick a ball properly, another shinner last night.
    Although I have seen him taking a few shots outside the box on his left foot and managed to get some fizz in them...not accuracy though.

Although he played well last night, I thought that Sane outshined him.

I think that Aguero is a fabulous player, but I'd say he's frustrating to play with. You know when youngsters are playing and there's the one real good player and is a DIY and never passes. Aguero is the professional equivilent of that.

I'd also love to keep Lucas, him and Gini were the difference at the weekend. There was no passing accross the back 4, Lucas was just getting the ball moving forward. Gini was the link we have been missing, when he plays the ball forward he is brilliant. It also helps that there was either Mane running, Couninho dropping deep or Firmino up high as options to pass forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Augeo wrote: »
    Much of a muchness with Bobby & Bobby effectively was his replacement.

True, to be fair. We still need another fast player capable of playing those front three positions, though.

Interesting to see how we shape up by the end of the the summer window. Probably pointless speculating potential signings as well, as Klopp notoriously keeps his cards close to his chest.

Anyone know if the signings last summer were touted before they were actually done? Mane, Gini, Matip etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Mané is everything we could have hoped Sterling would become, for 20m less and we don't have to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

True, to be fair. We still need another fast player capable of playing those front three positions, though.

Mahrez on one wing, mane the other swapping and switching sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

sword1 wrote: »

Mahrez on one wing, mane the other swapping and switching sorted

Mahrez isn't the quickest player, fast but not hugely pacey and to be fair his work rate is not great, don't think he'd fit what Klopp would want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

he looks like a player that knows he's leaving when the season is over so isnt putting in much effort anyways (mahrez)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I'd take him back for 50m, no bother, being honest.

Also, heard Inter are in for Rodriguez. He's had a down year for Wolfsburg, but he's played CB more than LB tbh, and Wolfsburg have been poor in general.

If Klopp likes him, then the 20-25m or so that's been touted is surely worth getting in on. There's not really a lot of left backs that jump to mind around Europe at the moment though, is there?

You'd waste 50m on an average player that clearly has an attitude problem and has expressed he is only interested in money? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Said it before but yes I'd be on board with Mahrez, you can never have enough inventive type players like him, sure it 'looks' like he's downed tools but you could level that at their whole squad. Creativity and guile is lacking in our squad, even if Mahrez was mainly cover, it'd be a nice sub to throw on when chasing a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

duffman13 wrote: »
    Mahrez isn't the quickest player, fast but not hugely pacey and to be fair his work rate is not great, don't think he'd fit what Klopp would want.

Back to markovic so, I know he didn't show it with us, but if we didn't have him already plenty would be shouting to sign him with that performance the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

sword1 wrote: »
    Back to markovic so, I know he didn't show it with us, but if we didn't have him already plenty would be shouting to sign him with that performance the weekend

I don't know, Marko looks good when he has acres of space to run into, he eats up the ground but he seems like a bit of a one trick pony, he has pace and not much else, he doesn't seem to have any ability to actually beat a man with skill, he wouldn't be much use against a blanket defence that we encounter regularly, so that's a no for me, besides it really looks like Klopp has already shown he's not interested in him.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'll be utterly amazed if Markovic plays a competitive game for us in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

5starpool wrote: »
    I'll be utterly amazed if Markovic plays a competitive game for us in future.

Yep, seen some of the Arsenal game at the wknd and although he did play very well in an attacking sense, his work in the opposite direction needs to improve allot. I would love to see him knuckle down and earn another chance at Liverpool as he wasn't cheap but it does seem unlikely at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I watched the Arsenal game, but haven't seen any of Markovic's other games this season.
    He strikes me as a player that's a little star struck, possibly not confident enough to play with more established players and quite happy to do the minimum and not expose himself too much.
    Possibly in a side like Hull he feels that he ranks further up in the pecking order and was showing more for the ball.

Will be interesting to see if that develops over the remainder of the season, either way he's playing for his future wherever that may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I watched the Arsenal game, but haven't seen any of Markovic's other games this season.
    He strikes me as a player that's a little star struck, possibly not confident enough to play with more established players and quite happy to do the minimum and not expose himself too much.
    Possibly in a side like Hull he feels that he ranks further up in the pecking order and was showing more for the ball.

Will be interesting to see if that develops over the remainder of the season, either way he's playing for his future wherever that may be.

What more do you want to see?

Was poor at Liverpool, 19 games 2 goals.

Fenerbache, 14 ganes, and 0 goals. Poor.

Sporting CP, 6 games, 1 goal. Poor.

Now he's at Hull.

He's not of the required level and will be gone in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭mormank

murpho999 wrote: »
    What more do you want to see?

Was poor at Liverpool, 19 games 2 goals.

Fenerbache, 14 ganes, and 0 goals. Poor.

Sporting CP, 6 games, 1 goal. Poor.

Now he's at Hull.

He's not of the required level and will be gone in the summer.

While I agree with the sentiment of your post I disagree with your barometer of a player. There is more to being a winger than scoring goals. I agree that he may not have what is required to unlock stubborn defences that sit back and so his pace is negated somewhat but I don't see a huge difference between him and say...Aaron Lennon at the same age for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Some players would kill for that raw pace and acceleration Markovic has, he has a good touch too.....his final ball is poor and he's weak on the ball but theres a player there if given time.......sometimes young players need time to develop, Suso immediately springs to mind. If your not ripping it up many people say he's not up to it and ship him out (not saying I dont do it btw)

I'd trust Klopps judgement but Markovic was poorly handled IMO, played out of position didn't get a lot of starts and then loaned out ever since. I think its unreasonable to expect a player to settle in a new squad every season while on loan. That being said, he didn't take his opportunities, probably not mentally up to it yet and maybe never will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

NukaCola wrote: »
    Some players would kill for that raw pace and acceleration Markovic has, he has a good touch too.....his final ball is poor and he's weak on the ball but theres a player there if given time.......sometimes young players need time to develop, Suso immediately springs to mind. If your not ripping it up many people say he's not up to it and ship him out (not saying I dont do it btw)

I'd trust Klopps judgement but Markovic was poorly handled IMO, played out of position didn't get a lot of starts and then loaned out ever since. I think its unreasonable to expect a player to settle in a new squad every season while on loan. That being said, he didn't take his opportunities, probably not mentally up to it yet and maybe never will.

This is it for me. I think he's not mentally up to it, period. Looks a classy player, runs well with the ball, athletic etc. but just doesn't seem to me to be brave enough to want to be part of every match he plays. I recall watching him playing and he was one of those players who you wouldn't notice for 15-20 minute periods of the match.
    Only time he ever impressed me was that CL match he ended up getting sent off in (harshly I felt).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mosstin wrote: »
    This is it for me. I think he's not mentally up to it, period. Looks a classy player, runs well with the ball, athletic etc. but just doesn't seem to me to be brave enough to want to be part of every match he plays. I recall watching him playing and he was one of those players who you wouldn't notice for 15-20 minute periods of the match.
    Only time he ever impressed me was that CL match he ended up getting sent off in (harshly I felt).

I'd have said the same thing about Lallana up until December last year though. Had all the abilities, but would just hide through games - running plenty, ineffectively. Running alongside an opposition player, but never throwing in a tackle. Putting in the appearance of playing football.

Marko is still young enough that I think his energy and focus can be directed, and I wouldn't be surprised if Silva does that. Already he looks much more involved than he had before. Given Silva's attention to detail on positioning, I'm betting his defensive game will improve considerably too.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'd have said the same thing about Lallana up until December last year though. Had all the abilities, but would just hide through games - running plenty, ineffectively. Running alongside an opposition player, but never throwing in a tackle. Putting in the appearance of playing football.

Marko is still young enough that I think his energy and focus can be directed, and I wouldn't be surprised if Silva does that. Already he looks much more involved than he had before. Given Silva's attention to detail on positioning, I'm betting his defensive game will improve considerably too.

Lallana has had a wealth of experience compared to Markovic though and at different levels of football. I think you're right though in the sense that Silva seems to know exactly what he wants from players and how to get the best out of them. I don't think that we'll ever see Markovic back at Liverpool but I hope that he turns things around at Hull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

harry kane was crap til he was 23,anythings possible with young players,you just dont know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Enjoying watching PSG hand it to Barca. I liked the previous incarnations but there's something about the current Barca team that really annoys me.

They're so arrogant passing it around in defence, you want them toget caught out. I also find it annoying seeing Suarez, Neymar and Messi laughing amongst themselves like little schoolgirls half the time.

Come on PSG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Enjoying watching PSG hand it to Barca. I liked the previous incarnations but there's something about the current Barca team that really annoys me.

They're so arrogant passing it around in defence, you want them toget caught out. I also find it annoying seeing Suarez, Neymar and Messi laughing amongst themselves like little schoolgirls half the time.

Come on PSG.

I'd prefer both to lose. One took Suarez and mascherano the other is a plaything for oil Arabs

• Advertisement

I really like Rabiot and Veratti. What a class pair.

I know he would never come but I would love Veratti at the Pool. Loved him ever since the first time I came across him on FIFA about ten years ago! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

mormank wrote: »
    I know he would never come but I would love Veratti at the Pool. Loved him ever since the first time I came across him on FIFA about ten years ago! :D

I imagine man utd fans are busy telling each other he needs to be thier big summer signing after griezmann!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Loved him ever since the first time I came across him :D

giphy.gif

Happy Valentine's day.

I'm really sorry. I couldn't resist :o:o

• Advertisement

That Draxler lad looks decent.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

That Draxler lad looks decent.....

Delighted Arsene Wenger almost signed him....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

While I agree with the sentiment of your post I disagree with your barometer of a player. There is more to being a winger than scoring goals. I agree that he may not have what is required to unlock stubborn defences that sit back and so his pace is negated somewhat but I don't see a huge difference between him and say...Aaron Lennon at the same age for example.

Number of appearances at his clubs and how quick they send him back and we ship him out again is a very good barometer.

He's just not up to it.

I imagine man utd fans are busy telling each other he needs to be thier big summer signing after griezmann!

Yup, exactly the type of signing Jose likes, the finished article. Really hope he doesn't end up there now... :o

Vicxas wrote: »
    Delighted Arsene Wenger almost signed him....

Wouldn't meet the Wolfsburg asking price apparently. Probably underbid by the quid they committed to when trying to buy Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Would love to see Di Maria in the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Imagine the squad we'd have if we didn't miss out on all those targets over the last few years.

It be nice to have the options to bring on the likes of Sanchez, Willian and Mkhytarian.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Imagine the squad we'd have if we didn't miss out on all those targets over the last few years.

It be nice to have the options to bring on the likes of Sanchez, Willian and Mkhytarian.

Even Salah.

Even Salah.

You won't buy all your targets.

Salah vie.

Getting embarrassing for Barca now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Psg are really looking at a different level to barca tonight, I know money is no object, but it's amazing how the manager has developed them so quickly from good to great .

mosstin wrote: »
    Salah vie.

Salah i-like-him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Would love to see Di Maria in the premier league.

Never mind that how good would PSG be if they had a top striker up front.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Psg are really looking at a different level to barca tonight, I know money is no object, but it's amazing how the manager has developed them so quickly from good to great .

Emery looks the real deal alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Emery looks the real deal alright.

English media look even worse now after basically giving his Sevilla side no chance against us last May. He's a top manager.

PSG struggling a bit in the league though aren't they?

PSG struggling a bit in the league though aren't they?

They started badly, but every week that passes they're improving and adapting to Emery's methods. Happens a lot with great managers.

Trapp in goal has been impressive. Very quick off his line, good reading of the play.

maxresdefault.jpg

martyos121 wrote: »
    They started badly, but every week that passes they're improving and adapting to Emery's methods. Happens a lot with great managers.

I have no idea about them to be honest, I have zero interest in French football, I just seen them 5 points behind a team they finished 31 points ahead of last season. Obviously turned it around so.

I think he's a good manager, he certainly knows how to win a European tie I'll give him that.

• Advertisement

I have no idea about them to be honest, I have zero interest in French football, I just seen them 5 points behind a team they finished 31 points ahead of last season. Obviously turned it around so.

I think he's a good manager, he certainly knows how to win a European tie I'll give him that.

Even at Valencia I liked him and the football his team played, though he never had the results to back it up. He's not the best manager in the world or even in the top 3 (Sevilla actually replaced him with an even better gaffer in Sampaoli lol) but now that he's got his move to a massive club, he'll get the plaudits he deserves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement