Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I remember watching this game on BBC, beautifully worked goal

https://twitter.com/FootballInT80s/status/834058846373105664

I reckon it will be Klavan if he is fit.

If Klavan is fit and Lucas is picked ahead of him at CB Klavan was a very strange purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Augeo wrote: »
    If Klavan is fit and Lucas is picked ahead of him at CB Klavan was a very strange purchase.

Not really.

Just a failed one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

New £50m integrated training centre gets go ahead at Kirkby

and

Liverpool u18s 3-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers u18s (McAuley, Camacho, Simmonds) Camacho's strike was deffo the pick today. The result keeps Liverpool a comfortable forth in the table with Man City running away with Phase One of the northern league table. They'll go through to the Championship Round with City, Man Utd and Blackburn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They're just different players, suitable for different jobs. In a game against poor opposition where we'll have far more possession, and will be playing with high CB's passing the ball from close to the halfway line, Lucas makes more sense. If we were playing against, say, Stoke, who play decent football, will definitely get to swing in a good number of crosses and have a solid arial threat, Klavan makes more sense.

I'm still a bit wary of both against Leicester though, especially if we don't score early and push further forward in search of a goal... one decent long ball into space on Lucas/Klavan side, and they'll be beaten for pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That's some weird logic you're using there.

It's down to form. Lucas played brilliantly against Spurs, therefore he should keep his place.

"Strange purchase" just because other players are in better form? Baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Leaving melwood, hefty investment it has to be said,if purported figure is true ..50 mill

Leaving melwood, hefty investment it has to be said,if purported figure is true ..50 mill

Article says FSG are fronting the cash too, so likely another of their tax free loans to the club. Just another instance of their good stewardship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

FSG doing something to benefit the club no way It's all about taking money out of the club for them isn't it.

FSG are terrible owners who don't have the interests of the club at heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Sure they're funding it from sales of Suarez and Sterling.

Its actually funny reading some of the theories to why Fsg are spending 50M.

I heard they were installing a stand and season tickets are 1,000 quid. I'd pay that to watch Moreno nutmegging Woodburn (or do I mean the other way round?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Article says FSG are fronting the cash too, so likely another of their tax free loans to the club. Just another instance of their good stewardship.

Not sure if it's you or 8-10 who follow the Red Sox but have they really loosened the purse strings there this season?

Was listening to Bill Burr last week at he made it seem like they were doing a United on it and flinging obscene money at major names...while obviously hoping for better results.

There was a lot of talk last week that they were trying to off load the Red Sox.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Not sure if it's you or 8-10 who follow the Red Sox but have they really loosened the purse strings there this season?

Was listening to Bill Burr last week at he made it seem like they were doing a United on it and flinging obscene money at major names...while obviously hoping for better results.

Not me i'm afraid!
    There was a lot of talk last week that they were trying to off load the Red Sox.

They came out a few days ago and said that's not the case anyway.
    Tom Werner wrote:
    “It’s not going to be forever, but we’re very proud of what we’ve done and yet we’re hungry to continue to do better,” Werner told the Boston Herald.

“I think when I say forever, I mean, we hope to be healthy and focused for a long long time.

“But we know that nothing is forever. But this is not something we’re going to be contemplating, and hopefully we’ll be having these conversations (with media) in 10 or 15 more years.”

Sign Mendy!!!!!

• Advertisement

Sign mbappe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sign Falcao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Sign Anybody.

Sign Carlton Cole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

75769327.jpg

• Advertisement

There must be a player named Sign out there...

Some game at city in fairness,great viewing

Do not sign otamendi

Glad we're not the only club sh1te at the back

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sign Mendy!!!!!
    Sign mbappe
    OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Sign Falcao
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Sign Anybody.
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Sign Carlton Cole!

liverpool-sign-bent-joke.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

This is all very familiar. Monaco are like a hybrid of us nowadays and from the title run in 13/14 :D

I'd happily sign this version of Falcao

Fowler87 wrote: »
    This is all very familiar. Monaco are like a hybrid of us nowadays and from the title run in 13/14 :D

They have much more depth though, which should see them win the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

There must be a player named Sign out there...

Insigne! Close enough

It looks like Klopp wants to bring in former BVB and current Bayern club doctor Schlumberger.

We have already taken their fitness coach and nutrition expert.

• Advertisement

It looks like Klopp wants to bring in former BVB and current Bayern club doctor Schlumberger.

Sounds like a tasty signing.

I'm not sure I'd fancy a Schlumburger - sounds greasy and squishy

martyos121 wrote: »
    That's some weird logic you're using there.

It's down to form. Lucas played brilliantly against Spurs, therefore he should keep his place.

"Strange purchase" just because other players are in better form? Baffling.

He's not a CB.
    He's an accident waiting to happen IMO at CB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

He's not a CB.

Our whole back line is an accident waiting to happen. I'd prefer him to Lovren who seems to be first choice when fit any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

He's not a CB.

Our whole back line is an accident waiting to happen. I'd prefer him to Lovren who seems to be first choice when fit any day.

In fairness we have not lost a game this season with lovren and matip together at the back. Think its 8 games unbeaten with them 2 together

We'll more than likely look to get a starting CB in the summer. Lucas will be gone, Klavan and Lovren will be the back up CB's.
    We get by fairly well with Matip/Lovren and that should give us confidence that improving on one or both of them will have us in really good shape.

ricero wrote: »
    In fairness we have not lost a game this season with lovren and matip together at the back. Think its 8 games unbeaten with them 2 together

Lovern is awful. I watched him at Southampton and in the international competition he played in when it was mooted (or maybe we had) we would sign him.

Against Mexico (I think) he was pulling shirts and players as soon as he was turned. Every time. Nothing has changed.

I don't normally post but any admiration of Lovern confuses me. He is truly terrible.

I've been reading without posting. I'd love to take Gray form Leicester and Traore from Middlesbrough. Raw talent that could be polished.

Still destroyed that we didn't throw everything at Kante in the summer. It's no coincidence he's about to win consecutive title medals at different clubs. He really does make 11 men seem like 12.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

NukaCola wrote: »

I don't subscribe to the Anfield wrap, but I nearly would just to listen to that podcast. Is it possible to pay for just one podcast?

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    I don't subscribe to the Anfield wrap, but I nearly would just to listen to that podcast. Is it possible to pay for just one podcast?

I dont subscribe either. I think you'd need to take out a monthly sub, I'm sure someone somewhere may make it available maybe.

I don't normally post but any admiration of Lovern confuses me. He is truly terrible.

I suppose I dont go too critical on him. He was awful under BR and has improved under Klopp to be an ok CB. I dont agree with you that he's terrible, but we all know what he brings. He'll be an decent backup IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Lovren is only seemingly capable when Matip is alongside him IMO.

I suppose I dont go too critical on him. He was awful under BR and has improved under Klopp to be an ok CB. I dont agree with you that he's terrible, but we all know what he brings. He'll be an decent backup IMO.

Again. This just confuses me. Maybe somebody that played in defence could give an opinion as I was a striker but you surely show your qualities regardless of manager. I don't think he has improved. Maybe the team has.

He's a coward. He offers very little in out current set-up. If he did (I don't think he did) look good at Southampton then maybe having 1-2 dedicated DM's in front helped.

Again. This just confuses me. Maybe somebody that played in defence could give an opinion as I was a striker but you surely show your qualities regardless of manager. I don't think he has improved. Maybe the team has.

He's a coward. He offers very little in out current set-up. If he did (I don't think he did) look good at Southampton then maybe having 1-2 dedicated DM's in front helped.

I think the bolded bit is the general feeling here.

I think he has improved, its not saying much, he was a shambles. Maybe how the team plays helps him more than under BR. To be honest I gave up on him a long time ago, the fact he doesn't do crazy stuff like under BR is a positive to me, the bar is low though. In any case he will be replaced as a starter in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Hate that sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

IMO, Lovren's major issue under Rodgers was positioning. He would constantly step up too soon, be a few yards left or right of where he should, miss headers, crosses, etc as a result of this.

The reason is, as noted above, largely down to the fact that at Southampton, he had two dedicated DMs in front of him who broke down play and occupied the space in front of him. With that and Fonte's organisation next to him, he didn't wander too far from where he needed to be.

Under Rodgers (and to an extent, Klopp), there is basically nobody in front of him half the time and he tries to fill this space.

However, his tackling, passing and heading have all drastically improved as far as I'm concerned.

Now, that said, I hope we don't start next season with Lovren and Matip as our best two CBs - I'd like a better partner for Matip - but I don't panic when I see Lovren start like I used to.

Also, controversial statement coming below...

I reckon Van Dijk will be worse off if he leaves Southampton. Fonte has gotten battered in his few games at West Ham and Lovren struggled here (and before he joined them even). As far as I can see, the Saints set up their system to be hard to break down with, essentially, a back 6. Two DMs, four defenders, with only Bertrand ever venturing too far forward.

Send Van Dijk to Chelsea and he'll do fine, but put him in a Liverpool or Man City defence, I reckon there'll be positioning errors and goals all over the place.

In fact, I feel like no matter who Pool and City play in defence, until we start screening with defensive midfielders, we'll concede goals for fun.

I think the bolded bit is the general feeling here.

I think he has improved, its not saying much, he was a shambles. Maybe how the team plays helps him more than under BR. To be honest I gave up on him a long time ago, the fact he doesn't do crazy stuff like under BR is a positive to me, the bar is low though. In any case he will be replaced as a starter in the summer.

Hopefully he's one of 2-3 that will be replaced and will only get a game when it's a non game

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Hate that sh*t.

What do you hate about it ?

IMO, Lovren's major issue under Rodgers was positioning. He would constantly step up too soon, be a few yards left or right of where he should, miss headers, crosses, etc as a result of this.

The reason is, as noted above, largely down to the fact that at Southampton, he had two dedicated DMs in front of him who broke down play and occupied the space in front of him. With that and Fonte's organisation next to him, he didn't wander too far from where he needed to be.

Under Rodgers (and to an extent, Klopp), there is basically nobody in front of him half the time and he tries to fill this space.

However, his tackling, passing and heading have all drastically improved as far as I'm concerned.

Now, that said, I hope we don't start next season with Lovren and Matip as our best two CBs - I'd like a better partner for Matip - but I don't panic when I see Lovren start like I used to.

Also, controversial statement coming below...

I reckon Van Dijk will be worse off if he leaves Southampton. Fonte has gotten battered in his few games at West Ham and Lovren struggled here (and before he joined them even). As far as I can see, the Saints set up their system to be hard to break down with, essentially, a back 6. Two DMs, four defenders, with only Bertrand ever venturing too far forward.

Send Van Dijk to Chelsea and he'll do fine, but put him in a Liverpool or Man City defence, I reckon there'll be positioning errors and goals all over the place.

In fact, I feel like no matter who Pool and City play in defence, until we start screening with defensive midfielders, we'll concede goals for fun.

100 % correct.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement