Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Again. This just confuses me. Maybe somebody that played in defence could give an opinion as I was a striker but you surely show your qualities regardless of manager. I don't think he has improved. Maybe the team has.

He's a coward. He offers very little in out current set-up. If he did (I don't think he did) look good at Southampton then maybe having 1-2 dedicated DM's in front helped.

Agree with nerdlingr, coward is a stupid word to be throwing about willy nilly, how do you quantify him being a coward? Because he's bad at football?

Secondly, the part about asking someone here who was a defender for their opinion is also a bit silly, the fact that you say you're a striker seems to make you think that your opinions on why a PL striker is not putting the ball in the net would actually have more weight than lads here who've never kicked a ball in their life, doesn't work like that, Klopp by his own admission was a below average player and Benitez too, didn't do them much harm.

............... I was a striker..............

I drive to work but don't reckon I'm an expert on F1 :)

Agree with nerdlingr, coward is a stupid word to be throwing about willy nilly, how do you quantify him being a coward? Because he's bad at football?

Secondly, the part about asking someone here who was a defender for their opinion is also a bit silly, the fact that you say you're a striker seems to make you think that your opinions on why a PL striker is not putting the ball in the net would actually have more weight than lads here who've never kicked a ball in their life, doesn't work like that, Klopp by his own admission was a below average player and Benitez too, didn't do them much harm.

Judging a player, for me, is easier when I've played that position.

Willy nilly ? I let my eyes tell me the story. At least his hair is nice with the gel.

Coward ? A guy that is paid to defend - DEFEND - a goal bound shot that he turns away from is cowardly in my opinion.

I'm not calling him a coward because he 'is bad at football'. I'm calling him a coward because he is.

Augeo wrote: »
    I drive to work but don't reckon I'm an expert on F1 :)

Awesome comparison.

............. I've played that position..............

Who did you play with?

What team did you play for ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Sky story on the Kirkby Academy move. It's kinda perfect that Klopp is the one to bring the youth set up and the senior team together. And that the owners back him in a long term, strategic move. Long live Klopp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Lovern's injuries are somewhat mysterious.

Is he off undergoing treatment for some serious illness or is he actually injured. Too often he is dropped from the line up right before game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

What do you hate about it ?

Its a sh*t, and oh so easy, way to label someone.
    Same as people saying " He's a fraud".
    So he's turned away from a shots. Has he not blocked others too ?
    Were you cheering when he scored against Dortmund?
    Was he a coward then?
    Its a sh*t opinion weakly backed up by some Sunday league claim that you've played a few games. Wow. So have the majority of us on here.

Did ya take a look at the mini-documentary on Lovren? Might shed some new light on your opinion of him.

Great point about the hair gel as well. Fantastic reasoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ah he 's not sh1t he's just stealing a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

In the cold light of day, Lovern has made too many mistakes, too often, under both BR and JK. His improvement under JK is noted but marginal and as such he is just not of the standard required to reach our short term goal of top four consistently. If he's happy as third choice I've no qualms with that and wish the chap well.

• Advertisement

Guess who said this?

If anyone is stealing a living it's Mr Glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

That phrase popped up over last while, no idea where it originated but its incredibly annoying. I'm not sure how people can say that really unless he's a part time bank robber or something.

brevity wrote: »
    That phrase popped up over last while, no idea where it originated but its incredibly annoying. I'm not sure how people can say that really unless he's a part time bank robber or something.

Agreed, only a beller of the highest order would churn out such a phrase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

He was posting tongue-in-cheek I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I think it originally came from Michael Owen on BT. I think he said that Ozil is stealing a living at Arsenal. I'm sure a lot of you on this thread would agree.

Ye he's a coward a fraud and he's not sh1t and he's stealing a living and put a gun to the heads of managers and football clubs to pay him a small fortune and they did out of fear.

He was posting tongue-in-cheek I assume.

Oh I know.

I have no "beef" with Agent Coulsen.

Oh I know.

Causing a stew though :P

Ye he's a coward a fraud and he's not sh1t and he's stealing a living and put a gun to the heads of managers and football clubs to pay him a small fortune and they did out of fear.

Exactly. It makes no sense.

If people wanted to say he's not working hard enough fair enough but stealing a living...Not havin' that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I think he said that Ozil is stealing a living at Arsenal. I'm sure a lot of you on this thread would agree.

I wouldn't agree. He turns up and plays well at least half the time.

I think it originally came from Michael Owen on BT.
    It makes no sense.

Lallana looks set to sign his new contract today. 110k per week.

I'd say the fans of Newcastle would know all about players getting paid more than what they offered the club as a footballer.

Oh I know.

It's getting difficult to keep track of who's in what clique these days:o

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Its a sh*t, and oh so easy, way to label someone.
    Same as people saying " He's a fraud".
    So he's turned away from a shots. Has he not blocked others too ?
    Were you cheering when he scored against Dortmund?
    Was he a coward then?
    Its a sh*t opinion weakly backed up by some Sunday league claim that you've played a few games. Wow. So have the majority of us on here.

Did ya take a look at the mini-documentary on Lovren? Might shed some new light on your opinion of him.

Great point about the hair gel as well. Fantastic reasoning.

Hilarious.

This is now the standard of this thread.

I'm out again.

• Advertisement

Sad-Boy-Says-Goodbye-Gif-Image.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

"Coward" is probably far too strong a word in the context of 22 lads chasing a ball about a field in the sports entertainment industry. We should probably look for a more appropriate synonym for a footballer who shows a certain unwillingness to take responsibility for physically engaging in the game in a way that may not be as comfortable as they might wish for.

I would reserve that c-word for guys who engage in wanton physical assault on a fellow pro, Ben Thatcher or Michael Brown or the like. I don't think "cowardly" is too strong for the sort of carry on that puts a guy in hospital.

Not a huge fan of Giles favourite, "moral courage" either, for example, as it seems a touch overwrought in the context of footie. But people get emotional about the game, and many of us can slide into hyperbole as a result. Not the end of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Maybe a spreadsheet shared through Google Docs?

If people wanted to say he's not working hard enough fair enough but stealing a living...Not havin' that.

Who said he was stealing a living ?

corwill wrote: »
    "Coward" is probably far too strong a word in the context of 22 lads chasing a ball about a field in the sports entertainment industry. We should probably look for a more appropriate synonym for a footballer who shows a certain unwillingness to take responsibility for physically engaging in the game in a way that may not be as comfortable as they might wish for.

I would reserve that c-word for guys who engage in wanton physical assault on a fellow pro, Ben Thatcher or Michael Brown or the like. I don't think "cowardly" is too strong for the sort of carry on that puts a guy in hospital.

Not a huge fan of Giles favourite, "moral courage" either, for example, as it seems a touch overwrought in the context of footie. But people get emotional about the game, and many of us can slide into hyperbole as a result. Not the end of the world.

His job is to protect the Keeper from a shot.

• Advertisement

I'm sure theres a few whats app groups set up :p

It was just a general comment on the phrase.

NukaCola wrote: »

the sisters are on twitter anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Hilarious.

I'm out again.

You asked what I hate about it. That's my answer.
    Feel free to come and go as you please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

NukaCola wrote: »

Well be as good as Fine Gael here soon so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

Ok buddy settle down. Calling someone a coward is different to using an expression such as stealing a living. Unless your name is Winston Bogarde when someone says you are stealing a living they are not being literal, in the old sense of the word not the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

Hilarious.

I'm out again.
    His job is to protect the Keeper from a shot.

You being out sure feels the same as you being I gotta say!
    And perhaps if you have no problem calling Lovren a coward you shouldn't take issue with someone referring to you as a drama queen then right? I mean you made a swipe at the entire thread smugly and then proclaimed to the world you are better than us therefore you are out!!! Ten mins later your posting again. I think you might find that next to the definition in the dictionary of a drama queen, or pretty close, whereas coward meaning professional footballer turning his back on some shots??? Well....yeah close enough sure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lovren is only seemingly capable when Matip is alongside him IMO.

He's a guy who needs a CB partner that compliments him alright. To be fair he's looked good beside a few, and woeful beside others. But we've seen good performances out of him beside Fonte, Sakho, and Matip.

Such a shame that Lovren/Sakho partnership lasted so little time. They were really working well together before Sakho's "troubles".

• Advertisement

Guess who said this?

If anyone is stealing a living it's Mr Glass.

Time for the big reveal, in a dramatic plot twist it was in fact the guy who hates the saying who used it himself! Step forward Coulson, outstanding contradiction well played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Time for the big reveal, in a dramatic plot twist it was in fact the guy who hates the saying who used it himself! Step forward Coulson, outstanding contradiction well played.

Phew. Thanks for letting us know. I was starting to think you were gonna keep it to yourself and I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

the sisters are on twitter anyway

Your obsession will consume you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Your obsession will consume you.

....Aaaaand it makes you look like an ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

J Mysterio wrote: »
    ....Aaaaand it makes you look like an ass.

Play nice lads :) not too long to our next match :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It seems like Lallana would be a good squad option into his mid 30's.

I'm surprised the contract is so short.

It'll only bring him up to 31 and sure look at Jimmy Milner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Gbear wrote: »
    It seems like Lallana would be a good squad option into his mid 30's.

I'm surprised the contract is so short.

It'll only bring him up to 31 and sure look at Jimmy Milner.

Prudent enough I think... while I agree he'll be a good squad option into his 30's, if he was on a long term deal now he'd end up being a squad option on massive wages in 3 or 4 years time. Look at Rooney for instance. Decent option to have on the bench, but on those wages it's just a massive waste of resources.

I'd expect us to offer a more suitable deal when he hits 30 to go into effect when his current one expires, on a more reasonable wage for his likely waning talents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Prudent enough I think... while I agree he'll be a good squad option into his 30's, if he was on a long term deal now he'd end up being a squad option on massive wages in 3 or 4 years time. Look at Rooney for instance. Decent option to have on the bench, but on those wages it's just a massive waste of resources.

I'd expect us to offer a more suitable deal when he hits 30 to go into effect when his current one expires, on a more reasonable wage for his likely waning talents.

I can see it from our angle.

I'm more surprised by Lallana accepting it especially at those wages.

I guess he knows this is it for him, he appreciates that he's got to this level and while he's been good for us, you're never safe in this team and there's going to be lots of comings and goings in the squad over the next few years.

Can't say it was something I was worried about.
    Tying down Can will be the main long term contract for us I'd say.

Everyone else has either been sorted, isn't going anywhere or isn't hugely important.

3 years with the option of a 4th seem like a fair contract for both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Take Schmeichel in the summer, lads? An improvement upon what we have I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement