Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    The SKY IS FALLING... Ignore the last two months... we can't defend... ignore the injuries... we're sh*t we lost to Bournemouth!!

We fell apart, that much is true. We're still a very good team. These games happen sometimes. We'll learn from it.

Exactly this. People are going overboard but I'm still fuming at Karius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

noodler wrote: »
    Bottlers.

Naive.

Omnishambles.

Forget the title, that's nowhere near the performance required for top 4.
    Origi at fault for their 2 before the winner imo,too fcking lazy , this is why we won't win the league . Thinking we can Cruise to victory.

Unacceptable defeat giving the score we had.

Lads calm down. While it is extremely frustrating to lose today when we had a chance to open a gap between ourselves and 3rd and I am sickened by that result and second half performance just like everyone else but these kind of over reactions achieve nothing. Even the side that ends up winning the title this season will have had days like this. The key is how you pick yourself up from it and strive to make sure it never happens again. Matip was a massive loss today, he is so cool back there he is exactly what we needed back there to calm everyone down when we lost our heads. We really were shambolic in defence for the last 25 mins or so and that simply would not have happened had Matip been available imo. Regardless, we pick ourselves up and we go again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Probably Firmino's worst game for us today. Thought Origi was far too casual at times as well. Think he gave the ball away initially for two of Bournemouth's goals.

We do have a problem at the back though. Nothing we didn't already know but we are soft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

We're still above the 2PPG mark, but that loss will do massive damage to the alternative table. We're certain to win a couple of big games though like we usually do so hopefully it won't matter too much in the long run. Top 4 is still looking very good but after seeing the way we threw those points away, I'm not holding out hope of a title challenge anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

The SKY IS FALLING... Ignore the last two months... we can't defend... ignore the injuries... we're sh*t we lost to Bournemouth!!

We fell apart, that much is true. We're still a very good team. These games happen sometimes. We'll learn from it.

The problem is even at 2-0 or 3-1 from now on, other teams will know we are fragile and it will be in the back of our players heads too. Its a mental thing and we haven't resolved it no matter what you say.

As for saying Karius has been good the last month, I honestly haven't seen it. Sure the defence were better but he hasn't done anything to show me he is improving.

Says a lot about Klavan that Lucas is preferred to him so we def need back up at centre half and fast.

Really hope I'm wrong but I think we will free fall between now and mid Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Once Fraser came on we fell to pieces, one player with the guts to turn a defender and all of a sudden the whole team panics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

NukaCola wrote: »
    Its easy to blame because it ultimately cost us a point.

If all people do is look at the final mistake then a lot of people will slip away blameless. He had loads of time to line up his shot, no pressure. Where did everybody go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jesus that was a painful second half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Did we go gung-ho attacking or did we just lose control of the game though?

Cut to ribbons after origi lost the ball for Bournemouth's 2nd goal, we were all way up the pitch. There is just no need for it. Bring on a defender, another midfielder take the sting out.

I'm disappointed but equally not surprised. Same type of games still troubling us burnley away, saints away and Bournemouth away. Easy to predict where we will lose points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Can we fcuking scrap that awful high vis away shyte kit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

A bid for Van Dijk next month is already looking much more certain. I have blind faith in Karius to turn things around and come good, but I honestly wouldn't say no to a better keeper arriving either, it's a position you can't take chances with.

30 pts after 14 games :)
    2.14 ppg :)

Big picture all good.

I said before the game 2 midfielders in a back 4 was a tad worrying.

When you're 2 goals up away from home and have a CB on the bench and a midfielder in your back 4 when Mane was coming off Klavan should have been on imo putting Lucas into the midfield in front of our back 4.

If Klavan isn't good enough to start at CB ahead of Lucas he shouldn't have been bought IMO.

Karius made some mistakes today but I'd hope he'll recover.

30 pts after 14 is great but we were in the driving seat for 3 points today and it was thrown away.

Lallana being back in serious contention for a starting spot next PL team has to be a positive. Back to normal than hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

reading through these posts and i've just realised we are the worst team in the world again.

If we beat West ham next week we are the best team ya?.

Thats how it works now right?

just need to be sure.

careca wrote: »

C'mon now theres knee jerk and then there's this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Turtyturd wrote: »
    A lot of people who knew this would be a tricky game after we lost it.

Personally I have no problem admitting I thought we would beat them handily as I figured they wouldn't park the bus. Basically, how the first half went, then at 3-1 up we proceeded to collectively lose our heads and conceded some very soft goals and basically threw the game away ourselves. Something that would not have happened had Matip been in defence today. We need someone who can lead at the back when Matip is unavailable, that much seems clear to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

The problem is even at 2-0 or 3-1 from now on, other teams will know we are fragile and it will be in the back of our players heads too. Its a mental thing and we haven't resolved it no matter what you say.

As for saying Karius has been good the last month, I honestly haven't seen it. Sure the defence were better but he hasn't done anything to show me he is improving.

Says a lot about Klavan that Lucas is preferred to him so we def need back up at centre half and fast.

Based on what? What did you think would happen post Burnley?

I hope teams think we're fragile and attack us. We've shown this season what we do to teams that attack us. Two weeks ago the narrative was that we were found out against teams who park the bus, now they know we're soft so will attack us? If we can't deal with either of those two how do we win a game?!?

Did you watch the Palace game? Any other game we've conceded in this season? Did we lose all those games?

Alonso77 wrote: »
    reading through these posts and i've just realised we are the worst team in the world again.

just need to be sure.

People just venting. I wouldn't read into it too much.

And another thing today has taught me is that the alternative table is the biggest load of ****e I've ever heard. Apologies to whoever does it up but its complete bollix.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Cut to ribbons after origi lost the ball for Bournemouth's 2nd goal, we were all way up the pitch. There is just no need for it. Bring on a defender, another midfielder take the sting out.

I'm disappointed but equally not surprised. Same type of games still troubling us burnley away, saints away and Bournemouth away. Easy to predict where we will lose points.

We battered them. I don't think they had a shot on target during the match so that was one match which definitely didn't 'trouble' us.

Basically the defence dont get the protection they need off the ball. Bournemouth had too many runners that were not being picked up. Lucas and Lovren could maybe be blamed for 1 goal there, nothing more. Happens all the time we just got punished when the midfield went hiding.

And another thing today has taught me is that the alternative table is the biggest load of ****e I've ever heard. Apologies to whoever does it up but its complete bollix.

You should suggest an alternative.

To the alternative table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That 3 pts we took off Chelsea is looking more and more important now, and I think come May it could look even more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That was bad, because at one stage we had more goals than Bournemouth...

Alonso77 wrote: »

just need to be sure.

No but you have to see the same challenges still trouble us and klopp just doesn't know when to close out a game.

We are exceeding expectations and it's great while producing some super football but games like today are hugely frustrating as they come as no surprise to many of us still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Basically the defence dont get the protection they need off the ball. Bournemouth had too many runners that were not being picked up. Lucas and Lovren could maybe be blamed for 1 goal there, nothing more. Happens all the time we just got punished when the midfield went hiding.

Happens less when Firmino is up top or a fit Lallana is in there. They're so important to the press in the middle of the park. Its not that the others don't do it, its that they're not as intelligent in doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

When it got back to 3-3 on 76 mins we really didnt look like fighting to win the game. Origi had a volley that went close but that was it. 7 attempts all game with 3 on target resulting in 3 goals. The defence fell apart with mistakes in the last 20 minutes, Im wondering if Klavan would have been a better pick than Lucas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Today confirms what we all know, we're a little light when we get injuries. But that's what happens when you make money in transfer windows. Klavan must be brutal altogether but that's usually what happens when you buy on the cheap, Matip being a free agent was an obvious counter example but he probably let his contract run down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Lucas and Lovren are far from a title winning centre back pairing. Far from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Had we kept score at 1-3 we would have won easily .

Augeo wrote: »
    Karius made some mistakes today but I'd hope he'll recover.

Really dont rate him at all. Its early days but I really dont trust him, not just based on this game either. Love to be proved wrong and dont want to write a player off but I worry about our GK options.

Before someone mentions DeGeas first season I'll stop you right there and say not every decent young GK will turn out like DeGea.

Based on what? What did you think would happen post Burnley?

I hope teams think we're fragile and attack us. We've shown this season what we do to teams that attack us. Two weeks ago the narrative was that we were found out against teams who park the bus, now they know we're soft so will attack us? If we can't deal with either of those two how do we win a game?!?

Did you watch the Palace game? Any other game we've conceded in this season? Did we lose all those games?

I prob have seen all the games. Was at West Brom. So much in control it was unreal. One sloppy corner, real pressure then for last ten. Palace game, should have strolled it. Wasn't happy until we were 2 up in injury time. Che, played great, 2 up comfortable. ****ty goal, back in the mire. Are you getting a pattern here? We won't always get away with it, ala today, so you need to be able to put teams away and maybe not concede.

As for free fall, I hope I'm wrong and I'll gladly admit it if I am, but lot of injuries, squad not strong enough imo and a host of matches coming up. I'd be happy if we are still in top four mid Jan.

mosstin wrote: »
    We battered them. I don't think they had a shot on target during the match so that was one match which definitely didn't 'trouble' us.

We didn't score though no matter what way you look at it. Saints are a good side and St Mary's is a tough place to go I wasn't too down about a point but you just know beforehand we will struggle.

Contrast it to Chelsea one week earlier who won 2 nil without breaking a sweat.

Really dont rate him at all. Its early days but I really dont trust him, not just based on this game either. Love to be proved wrong and dont want to write a player off but I worry about our GK options.

Before someone mentions DeGeas first season I'll stop you right there and say not every decent young GK will turn out like DeGea.

I do hope he'll recover but he's looking a fairly sh1t keeper to me. Take away the well rated in Germany stuff and he's done little if anything in an LFC shirt to inspire any confidence.

• Advertisement

Happens less when Firmino is up top or a fit Lallana is in there. They're so important to the press in the middle of the park. Its not that the others don't do it, its that they're not as intelligent in doing it.

Yea I'd agree with that, midfield got outfought/outthought at vital times.

I do hope he'll recover but he's looking a fairly sh1t keeper to me. Take away the well rated in Germany stuff and he's done little if anything in an LFC shirt to inspire any confidence.

Its may be harsh but thats where I am also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

That's my fault two match threads in two days and they have both gone ****en mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

rob316 wrote: »

We had 2 chances to cut out that attack though, that was sloppy.

Early days to be having a melt down yet but without Matip we are the same at the back as last season.

Took 11/15 points in this run of games so far with West Ham and Middlesboro to come. 15 or 17 points out of those 21 would be good going.

It's a good reality check for the players and supporters as it was getting a bit too easy!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

And because we own the ball in most of the games we play, hadn't really been exposed to pressure. Looks poor when put under pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

When teams don't show us any respect, and come at us and try and attack then invariably we wilt under the pressure.

We ALWAYS concede in games where we are under sustained periods of pressure, even games we have won. This is a worrying pattern going further into the season.

We can only play one way, it's getting us wins but when teams put us under pressure cracks do show.

Even before today I've been unconvinced by the keeper, Lucas is not the man for central defence when you have dropped deep and we're under the cosh. And Lovren needs a leader beside him in defence.

When teams press us hard Jordan Henderson is incapable of playing on the half turn, he needs space in front of him.

There are many positives this season but above are some of this teams weaknesses.

We are neither as bad as our worst critics say nor as brilliant as our fans claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Karius is no upgrade on mignolet based on all the evidence to date. Matip a big loss today . The only positive is that we still scored 3 without coutinho which would've been my worry beforehand

Lovren mistake for first goal, couldn't head ball clear
    equaliser 5 pool players around scorer no one got block in
    winner keeper shocking

no need to look beyond defence for today. there will be times when they are expected to do their own job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

That was an embarrassment.

That puts any tentative talk of the title to bed for me. Would you see Chelsea do that? Would have seen Leicester last season do it?

For 3 years now, we have been fúcking brittle mentally. It seems we can't withstand an ounce of pressure without folding. Let's be honest, Bournemouth didn't play well to get back in it.

Klopp hasn't managed to break that hold. We're fine as long as we're controlling the tempo of the game. Once Mané went off, that was lost as we'd nothing up front to stretch or really run at them.

It's ridiculous that this team is incapable of simply standing up like men and holding out. Make it cynical. A few strategic fouls. Knock a few heads off.

We're weak. And that means playing brilliant attacking football will only get us so far.

Going forward we might shore things up a bit ourselves when a goal or two up. We need to think ahead too to European football IMO.

Some folks are mentioning Origi being casual or whatever, he's took his goal well, personally any game a striker scores I reckon they've done their job. Striker loses the ball the team should be able to mop up the damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

What we witnessed there was probably the effect the press can have on the team when things are going against them. Sometimes you need the wise heads to see out a game. We do lack that in our side. One of the reasons why Matip was such a loss today in Cb. Another CDM badly needed too. Not to mention the lost cause already that is Karius.

Alot of positives in weird way to take from today too as the attacking was good again in the 1st half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I didn't even mention Karius. What a headbanger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's to see who is on target to get 76 points and CL, so unless you think we aren't going to get CL football it isn't bollix. It's the same table for every team!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Yeah, deffo our attack was an issue. You can often point further up the field to the root of defensive problems.

You can't give the ball away cheaply.
    You need to have far more quality and create lots of chances.
    You need to be ruthless in front of goal.

You can get away with 2 out of those 3 and sometimes even one, but today we did none of them.

I thought 2-0 flattered our attacking play a bit. It wasn't a question of our normal unstoppable tide of brilliance. It was a **** up by Boruc and a boot over the top they bounced our way.
    We had them penned in well but the interplay we've come to expect wasn't happening.

Then they're not killed off, or poor passing gives them easy counters. Either way its putting ourselves under needless pressure.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    When it got back to 3-3 on 76 mins we really didnt look like fighting to win the game. Origi had a volley that went close but that was it. 7 attempts all game with 3 on target resulting in 3 goals. The defence fell apart with mistakes in the last 20 minutes, Im wondering if Klavan would have been a better pick than Lucas

no need to look beyond defence for today.

I dont agree, they were left exposed too much. Thats what happens when teams counter against us, the defence gets over run. They can only do so much.

I didn't include the GK in the defence really, thats a separate issue IMO. If a keeper cant keep hold of a ball what chance do you have as a CB?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement