Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Knex. wrote: »

We have the coolest manger in the business :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's a good wake up call if nothing else. We can react to it, it's frustration to see players make the same mistakes that we already thought they had learned from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Karius penalty save attempt is a joke, half hearted fall to his left.

I'm no fan of Karius but you have to let the penalty go. He went the wrong way and realised it. I'm not sure what you want him to do there? Go full stretch even though he knew he went the wrong way? That would be ridiculous. Or are you saying he should have saved it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

After years of being a utility player I think Milner has found his position. Poor giving away a penalty.
    But apart from that he has been superb as an LB.

MD1990 wrote: »
    After years of being a utility player I think Milner has found his position. Poor giving away a penalty.
    But apart from that he has been superb as an LB. wingback

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Put in a bad position really by Lovren's crap header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

Put in a bad position really by Lovren's crap header.

Looked like panic of old days. We really missed Matip. A calming presence at all times. As someone posted earlier, we do concede a lot of goals but today's were back to the bad days of really bad defending as opposed to good goals.

We went a bit mad in here after the Burnley result and then went on a great run. No need to panic about this one yet. Live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

It's probably already been said but Lallana coming on was the wrong substitute, it was 3-1 at that stage, it should have been Klavan and Lucas into midfield, shut up shop and see the game out, I know its hindsight but game management seems to be something Klopp needs to improve on if we are going to win anything any time soon.

Over all I'm not too disappointed these days will happen and better now than towards the end of the season if we bounce back and win convincingly next weekend then this game will soon be forgotten. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

It's probably already been said but Lallana coming on was the wrong substitute, it was 3-1 at that stage, it should have been Klavan and Lucas into midfield, shut up shop and see the game out, I know its hindsight but game management seems to be something Klopp needs to improve on if we are going to win anything any time soon.

Over all I'm not too disappointed these days will happen and better now than towards the end of the season if we bounce back and win convincingly next weekend then this game will soon be forgotten. Onwards and upwards.

Mane was injured so your changing the entire shape of a team that was essentially winning at a canter at that point to do other than lalana or the kid

Mane was injured so your changing the entire shape of a team that was essentially winning at a canter at that point to do other than lalana or the kid

It would be good to see us develop a capability to win games by not solely outscoring the opposition.

When you're 2 goals up away from home with 20 mins to go it'd be a beneficial trait :)

It's needed too..... Europe next year all going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

It was a very different game in the second half we looked very shaky and Bournemouth were alot better than the first, with a 2 goal lead and 20 min left the focus should have been to see out the game, If that means changing the shape of the team so be it, If Lucas and Hendo were in the middle it would have allowed Can and Wiji to double up with the full backs in the wide areas where Bournemouth were getting alot of space, we would have still had origi and firminho for the out ball I know it's easy to point this out after the fact but it's definitely something Klopp has to look at imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

NukaCola wrote: »
    Very good/Excellent? I'd settle for being able to hold a football or catch a cross.

So if I cant name a good GK that was excellent then Karius will turn out to be great? Without doing any thinking I'll say Reina looked pretty good immediately, hows that?

Karius may improve, and i hope so, I dont like writing young players off but he has been poor for us and cost us today. I'm not allowed to criticise bad performances?

Ha no that's not what I meant at all. This place is so militant tho recently I'm not surprised you took me up that way. Ah yes Reina, of course. I was only asking a genuine question about whether there was a keeper you could name that looked excellent straight off the bat. No agenda. I don't think I was even defending Karius tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Augeo wrote: »
    It would be good to see us develop a capability to win games by not solely outscoring the opposition.

If you don't outscore the opposition you can't win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Didn't Reina have that nightmare game against Everton early in his first season? The one where he tried to push the ball over the bar but nearly threw it into the net before Andy Johnson headed it in?

Anyway Karius looks muck at the moment, that's the bottom line. He actually looks like he never played in goal before, awful. He can only get better tho, can't he???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

kfallon wrote: »
    Didn't Reina have that nightmare game against Everton early in his first season? The one where he tried to push the ball over the bar but nearly threw it into the net before Andy Johnson headed it in?

Anyway Karius looks muck at the moment, that's the bottom line. He actually looks like he never played in goal before, awful. He can only get better tho, can't he???

I'd blocked that out from memory entirely... Ugh.

Anyway - I don't think many can suggest that Karius has done much right since coming in. Even those clean sheets, he didn't face too many shots - he must have quite a poor shots/save ratio.

I'm not writing him off by any stretch, but I just think he should be starting week in, week out just yet. He's making silly mistakes and letting in some soft goals - I genuinely don't think that Mignolet would have conceded all of those.

I'm still a bit sickened by the manner of that defeat - if we go out and lose 1-0 because we're having an off day, you can just accept it and move on. But to be 3-1 up and to lose is a kick in the balls.

I hope Klopp can pick everyone back up and drive them on from here - it's the kind of result that can hurt confidence if you let it sit, so we can't afford to do that.

Put it out of our minds and get back to basics next week, hopefully with Matip in the side again.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    If you don't outscore the opposition you can't win.

I know that obviously :)

However when you are 3 - 1 up it would be good to be able to shut up shot so to speak.

I reckon we still need a really decent CM who can protect back 4, assert dominance on the midfield and pass a ball well who is a serious upgrade on Henderson in the #6 role, a left back and a striker who fits Klopp's style.

I'd say we still need a goalkeeper too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

kfallon wrote: »

Honestly cant remember that game. But Reina won the golden glove in his first season. 20 clean sheets. He had 14 clean sheets out of his first 18 league games or something crazy like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

What I hate most about Karius is his use of his hands when shot stopping. It just doesn't look at all natural.

The majority of his saves just smack off his chest, or even his head. I can't really recall him making diving saves to his left or right to tip a ball around the post.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I hate it when we lose. Hopefully it'll be another 15 games before we have to do that. We've played all the 'B' teams away from home now anyhow, so we should be ok for the rest of the season I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

mosstin wrote: »
    You should suggest an alternative.

To the alternative table.

Here is alternative look at the table

34 Chelsea
    31 Arsenal
    30 Liverpool Man City
    27 Tottenham
    21 Man Utd
    20 West Brom Everton
    19 Stoke
    18 Bournemouth Watford
    17 Southampton
    14 Crystal Palace Burnley
    13 Leicester
    12 Middlesbrough West Ham
    11 Sunderland Hull City
    9 Swansea

• Advertisement

Are the comments attributed to Carragher about Karius and Mignolet fact? Karius has done nothing good and Mignolet not good enough iirc.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Honestly cant remember that game. But Reina won the golden glove in his first season. 20 clean sheets. He had 14 clean sheets out of his first 18 league games or something crazy like that.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-derby-blunder-making-pepe-3499494

What I hate most about Karius is his use of his hands when shot stopping. It just doesn't look at all natural.

The majority of his saves just smack off his chest, or even his head. I can't really recall him making diving saves to his left or right to tip a ball around the post.

And his biggest blunder yesterday you could argue he got away with, a shot straight at him, perfect height to catch/punch and it bounced out of his hands and over the bar!

Lets hope this is a watershed moment for him but I wouldn't bet my last few euro on it!

After yesterday's 7 goal thriller (not quite up there with the Newcastle one obviously) there are now 10 teams in the PL who have conceded more than us :( ......... but we have outscored all of the other 19 teams :)

3rd on goal difference but Spurs are getting worryingly close IMO, I do hope that bad spell they had wasn't their actual bad spell for the season. Similarly I hope our great run wasn't just a great run but a sign of what's to come for the rest of the season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

He has been a brilliant signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Having slept on it I am over with the game yesterday, I will take 14 games unbeaten and a wobbler like that all season thank you very much. The big test now is how we react against West Ham, need a very convincing victory to get back on track.
    On karius, I was happy to give him the season to bed in and still am. Under no circumstance can mig come back in imo, he is useless and while karius isint setting the world alight he has to get an extended run (nightmare games included) in the team barring an absolute collapse. Hopefully mane is fine and matip is back in for the next game, we go on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I hope we absolutely crucify West Ham. Our bogey team all last season.

klose wrote: »
    ...........The big test now is how we react against West Ham, need a very convincing victory to get back on track...............

I'll be delighted with 3 points, we know we convince more often than not so a non convincing win be grand too IMO :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I don't think Lovren will be good enough long term as a starter. He has improved & not a bad squad player but he is especially weak when isolated in 1v1's which will happen in a high press.
    Gomez has great potential to a CB for us but he will need time so another top class CB to partner Matip is needed in the summer.

• Advertisement

Considering we should be in Europe we are looking at needing a LB/WB (Milner is 31 in Jan so maybe we can manage for another season or two), CB, CM & 2 strikers/AMs whatever Klopp wants in that dept.

Ideally one or two will come in the January transfer window.

I'll be very nervous of Coutinho leaving should we not get Top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Grayditch wrote: »
    I hope we absolutely crucify West Ham. Our bogey team all last season.

Indeed, and I see big Andy is back too. They really are rubbish this year so it should be straight forward enough but like you say, our bogey team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

West ham look like a team not playing for their manager. We should be winning easily but after yesterdays result il take any sort of win to get us back on track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yep, need to follow it up with a win, only dropped 2 points at home so far I think.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

klose wrote: »
    Having slept on it I am over with the game yesterday, I will take 14 games unbeaten and a wobbler like that all season thank you very much. The big test now is how we react against West Ham, need a very convincing victory to get back on track.
    On karius, I was happy to give him the season to bed in and still am. Under no circumstance can mig come back in imo, he is useless and while karius isint setting the world alight he has to get an extended run (nightmare games included) in the team barring an absolute collapse. Hopefully mane is fine and matip is back in for the next game, we go on!
    Yep, it's very easy to throw the baby out with the bath water. Even in that game alone, we were totally dominant for large portions of the match. Players just lost it for about 1/2 an hour and we paid a penalty for our hubris. I am sure it's a result Klopp and the team won't forget. How we react against West Ham will be key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The first team squad has gone to Barcelona for a few days warm weather training.

A good time to get a team bonding training trip after the collapse on Sunday I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good time to tap up Masch and Busquets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I think we need a Left back, Center back and a midfield enforcer.

Milner has done great work but is not a long term solution.

A partner for Matip is badly needed as is a proper defensive midfielder who can win the ball before it gets to our defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think we've shown there that we're both well positioned to handle injuries, but not completely immune to the problems it caused.

Without playing well, missing 2 of our most important attacking players and most important defender, and without having to play well, we put ourselves in a position to comfortably win a relatively tricky away fixture.
    It suggests we can absorb losses of players.

Of course, the way the game went also exposed the effect of the absensces, if not directly, at least in our ability to change the game by hooking players who weren't performing.

I thought Bournemouth looked awful first half. The goals conceded were dreadful, they were getting bullied off the ball all over the pitch and they didn't look any sort of threat.
    Even without us having a defence you could've easily seen how our attack, when on it's game, could've gone 4-0 by half time, such was their awfulness.

We can't play 100% every week and we won't have our first 14 fit for the whole season. It'll probably make us drop too many points to be in contention for the title beyond about February at best.
    At the same time, I can't see how we get much worse than this. Performances where we still score but go a bit wobbly and throw points away - it's the reason why we're not much of a shout for the title, but it doesn't mean we're ****e either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Balotelli earned £1m Liverpool bonus - for not getting sent off three times
    Presumably wasn't sent off three times because he never played.
    Also liked this bit:
    Documents confirm that Balotelli earned a basic salary of £85,000 a week at Liverpool. He was also offered £50,000 per goal once he had scored more than five Premier League or Champions League goals in a season. That clause was never activated.
    It's almost like they knew giving him a contract was a bad idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Not sure who this lad is, or where he pulls the stats from...

https://twitter.com/DanKennett/status/805443381707112450?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
    #LFC have conceded 17 big chances in 14 games this season. 8 of them in 2 halves vs Swansea and Bournemouth. Just 9 in the other 13 games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Not sure who this lad is, or where he pulls the stats from...

https://twitter.com/DanKennett/status/805443381707112450?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Similar to last season. Crazy games v Norwich & Southampton away and Sunderland & Newcastle at home. Need to cut out these mad games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Good article by Jonathan Wilson on the goalkeeping woes of Claudio Bravo and, naturally, our own Karius. Stats suggest that his save success rate is higher than De Gea's, for one, but I wouldn't read too much into that (Fraser Forster being the lowest ranked).
    We allow 7.9 shots per game - lowest in the league - yet we've conceded 18. Not good enough. I keep thinking back to the Palace match when Karius, well inside his penalty area, kept his hands by his side as McArthur lobbed him. I'm not quite sure what the lad's strengths are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

18 conceded 5 by Mignolet (if I recall right - Arsenal 3 and Burnley 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

mosstin wrote: »
    Good article by Jonathan Wilson on the goalkeeping woes of Claudio Bravo and, naturally, our own Karius. Stats suggest that his save success rate is higher than De Gea's, for one, but I wouldn't read too much into that (Fraser Forster being the lowest ranked).
    We allow 7.9 shots per game - lowest in the league - yet we've conceded 18. Not good enough. I keep thinking back to the Palace match when Karius, well inside his penalty area, kept his hands by his side as McArthur lobbed him. I'm not quite sure what the lad's strengths are.

His hair is majestic in fairness, apart from that I couldn't actually name one aspect of his 'keeping' that he looks good at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

His hair is majestic in fairness, apart from that I couldn't actually name one aspect of his 'keeping' that he looks good at.

The Ken Early quote in the Wilson piece sums him up perfectly for me.

Great to see Stevie on the Beeb doing the FA Cup draw! Reminiscing about the 'Gerrard Final' what a day!

And we've got...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Home to Plymouth Argyle/Newport County in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Liverpool v Newport/Plymouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Home to Newport or Plymouth

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement