Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Good performance. There'll always be games like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

murpho999 wrote: »
    We need to learn how to beat teams set up to frustrate us. Burnley, Man Utd and Southampton have done it now.

Coutinho needs to stop dropping deep and we need to play with more maturity and patience. For example Milner taking a long shot today and Henderson giving ball away when we were in prime positions to mount an attack are just wasteful.

Also, finish your chances when they eventually come.

You think all the other teams we played didn't try this??! Hull tried it, Palace did, Swansea did, Chelsea did, pretty much every team so far bar maybe Arsenal and Spurs have. We won most of them pretty easily. There's not some blueprint to beating us, there's a blueprint to giving you the best chance. We tuck away one chance and that strategy is pretty much a busted on the spot. If Firmino or Clyne finish they're gilt edged chances how different would that narative be.

Its not like we're not creating chances against every single team we play. Nothing to worry about imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

8 wins 3 draws from 12 games is excellent stuff........complaining about not winning every game would be extremely unfair....Disappointing results will happen....we must react well again now for the next game......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If Klopp has one in game weakness it's when he makes his subs - far too late most of the time. Sturridge should have been on by 70 mins really, I know he backs his starting 11 to work to a win but sometimes you really just have to throw on a couple of bodies with a quarter of the match remaining.

If Klopp has one in game weakness it's when he makes his subs - far too late most of the time. Sturridge should have been on by 70 mins really, I know he backs his starting 11 to work to a win but sometimes you really just have to throw on a couple of bodies with a quarter of the match remaining.

Yeah, I thought Sturridge should have been on earlier too. Coutinho and Firmino were never going to be 100% today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

People said the same about Rafa, they said the same about Pep at times. We were on top, our best 11 was on the pitch and at 70 mins we were all over them and Coutinho was creating tons. Making a change there would be foolish. Being substituted when chasing a game has an impact on an individuals morale too which is a side of it that doesn't get taken into consideration very often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Would kind of agree with Harry but as Klopp says we defend from the front and that noticeably drops when Sturridge is on the pitch. He makes the sub, they creep back in and score and everyone criticises the sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭Damien360

NukaCola wrote: »
    8 wins 3 draws from 12 games is excellent stuff........complaining about not winning every game would be extremely unfair....Disappointing results will happen....we must react well again now for the next game......

Agreed. Many of us looked at the fixture list to start and thought "that will be tough". I had mentally thought 2pts per game was hoping for a lot. We are on target with a bonus 3 points to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,592 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We played well and cut them open enough times to win game regardless of fact they played so deep. That is a good sign, our finishing let us down ironically. Someone will pay for sure. We could of done with 2 of those 6 goals we scored recently today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I thought we were very good and unfortunate not to win. Wouldn't blame the manager one bit, he got it spot on again.

Firmino's chance was the big moment and 8 times out of ten he scores and we're all looking forward to match of the day and talking about how good we are.
    But he missed. And the outlook changes slightly.

Funny thing is if it's Sturridge in that situation he scores 99% of the time and that's why you'll always have a percentage of Reds fans who strongly feel that Sturridge should start more games for us.
    But what you gain in one way, you lose in the other. Firmino suits our stlye better imo despite not being as clinical.
    So you gotta take the bad with the good.

Overall, we were very good, without being excellent and usually we'd win a game like that but nobody wins them all and in fairness to Southampton they defended really well, I thought Van Dijk was man of the match by a mile. He had a super game.

Feck it, it's frustrating but there isn't a (sane) Liverpool fan alive who wouldn't have taken this points total at this stage of the season bearing our fixture list so far in mind.
    And we'll be there or there abouts. Can't win 'em all lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Disappointed that we didn't get the 3pts today - but I'd have been even more disappointed if we created no chances. Southampton played very defensively, and we still made some great opportunities for ourselves. Forster and Van Dijk both had crucial moments which denied us.

Maybe all that air travel took that 1% of sharpness off Coutinho and Firmino. Thankfully theres no more international breaks until March (except Mane).

Anyways, next week Sunderland visit Anfield - and Spurs go to Chelsea, should be a great opportunity to move away from Spurs, or reclaim the top spot - assuming Chelsea win tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Could easily have won that game even though we didn't play brilliantly. Firmino missed a sitter and Mane had a great shot saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭klose

A point away at Southampton is not the worst in the world, glad to see we didn't end up conceding a late goal after playing well for the game. Onto the next one anyways with lallana back fit and Phil and bob sharper.

Edit: klopp says lallana out for 2-3 games so never mind that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Well we didn't lose after the intl break. And the guys will get better for the next match.

Spurs have just scored twice in 5 mins and are going to win. :mad:

Lallana out for another few games is bad news. Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭mosstin

Spurs have just scored twice in 5 mins and are going to win. :mad:

Gutted. Even a draw would have been great.

klose wrote: »

Edit: klopp says lallana out for 2-3 games so never mind that

:(

Someone might shine while he's out.

Hard to fathom how chelsea might go top tomorrow, they were looking very ish a month or so ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I am developing some serious man love for Matip.

What a player.

Certainly looking like the best free CB in the game right now with van Dijk the best paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

It's great to be able to say that's a point earned. 😎

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    It's great to be able to say that's a point earned. 😎

Point closer to safety....

Sturridge so slow over a short distance. It's funny to see a ball played few feet ahead of him and the guy 5 feet further away from ball than Sturridge is gets to ball first. Makes me cringe. He just can't sprint whatsoever . Needs it to feet all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Was often the main complaint about Klopp at Dortmund as well, so it's clearly a trait of his. I wouldn't expect him to be changing it any time soon .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Our passing map V Southampton.

https://i.reddituploads.com/bc0c0a0fe1d442a2bee3beddaee6a07c?fit=max&h=1536&w=1536&

bc0c0a0fe1d442a2bee3beddaee6a07c?fit=max&h=1536&w=1536&
    We look very compressed in that map, was there no one breaking the line to get in behind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,988 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

https://i.reddituploads.com/bc0c0a0fe1d442a2bee3beddaee6a07c?fit=max&h=1536&w=1536&

We look very compressed in that map, was there no one breaking the line to get in behind?

Mane was at the beginning but Southampton played extremely deep for most of the game, there was no behind.

• Advertisement

I noticed it's sideways passing emphasis as well, this is where Lallana was missed - those little darting runs between players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭mosstin

Matip getting a lot of plaudits from yesterday's game - deservedly so as he looks classier with each passing week - but Lovren was also excellent alongside him. If those two could build a stable partnership, our defence - with two very reliable full backs - might allow us to breathe more easily and see out games like we'll have to later in the season.
    https://twitter.com/MrBoywunder/status/800093703431983104

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

mosstin wrote: »
    Matip getting a lot of plaudits from yesterday's game - deservedly so as he looks classier with each passing week - but Lovren was also excellent alongside him. If those two could build a stable partnership, our defence - with two very reliable full backs - might allow us to breathe more easily and see out games like we'll have to later in the season.
    https://twitter.com/MrBoywunder/status/800093703431983104

After watching that you'd swear Southampton were all over us! But they weren't were they? I didn't see the match or highlights but from reading reports we had the better chances.

Blondie919 wrote: »
    After watching that you'd swear Southampton were all over us! But they weren't were they? I didn't see the match or highlights but from reading reports we had the better chances.

They were nowhere for 99.0% of the game, Charlie Austin was in a different post code to the rest of his side they were so deep.

We kept a clean sheet as we were never uncomfortable, to be fair S'ton can't get all the credit for that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I am developing some serious man love for Matip.

What a player.

He's like a good version of John Stones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

It was a positive point gained yesterday. We controlled the game from start to finish and unlike the manchester united game in which we created next to nothing, we had plenty of chances yesterday but poor finishing let us down. You cant win every game and other teams will drop points away to southampton.

Our rivals are all playing each other over the next month so this is a important run of games were coming into. I would love to be top of the table for when city come to anfield on new years day.

Also matip could be a even bigger bargain than sami hypia. Classy player and so so calm on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,848 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Watched motd and feel gutted
    ,2 pats lost rather than 1 gained in reality.
    Totally out played Southampton but after the 2 week break there was a noticeable lack of sharpness from count & firmino esp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Anfield looks weird with rugby posts

Sturridge so slow over a short distance. It's funny to see a ball played few feet ahead of him and the guy 5 feet further away from ball than Sturridge is gets to ball first. Makes me cringe. He just can't sprint whatsoever . Needs it to feet all the time.

Thought he did very well when he came on.

His last 2 sub appearances have been lacking goals but he's only played 40 mins.

I think we'll be seeing alot more of him over the winter, show ing a great attitude.

Sturridge did well yeah, a goal would be nice for him. We'd be giving him all the praise if Clyne finished the cross he put on a plate for him. It'll be interesting to see if he gets any starts in the next few weeks with Lallana out, we could probably play him against Sunderland instead of one of the midfielders, it's the kind of game we can afford to be more attacking in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,014 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I know he is only about 12 but Woodburn could be the answer to our hard working striker issues.

Last year Origi was looking to be that iirc. Would like to see Origi get some minutes too.
    Firmino might continue to score at the 1 in every 2.5 games rate. Nearly got one yesterday.

I woudn't be dropping any of the midfield 3 for Sturridge unless coutinho drops back out of the front 3 back to midfield

Our next 4 league fixtures before the derby are Sunderland, Bournemouth, West Ham, and Middlesbrough. In that same time Chelsea have to play Spurs, City, West Brom, and Sunderland. City have easy enough fixtures outside of the Chelsea game. More opportunities for us to gain points as at least one of our rivals are guaranteed to drop points when they face each other. We're in a very strong position right now as long as we keep our form, yesterday wasn't the result we wanted but the performance was still there.

Strange to see Chelsea top, they looked very poor earlier in season.

6 wins in a row now with no goals conceded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Ah, it was good whilst it lasted.
    OBD2FnC.png

Chelsea 6th win in a row. 6th clean sheet in a row. In that time they've beaten Hull, Man Utd, Leicester, Southampton, Everton and now Middlesbrough. (Spurs next)

Serious contenders.

Umaro wrote: »

Chelsea 6th win in a row. 6th clean sheet in a row.......

If you consider they've only scored 3 goals less than us they are looking seriously impressive.
    They've the best GD as well as the most points so far.

We beat them easily though.

And Burnley beat us easily, points are what matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That doesn't matter, after a bad start they look seriously good.

Amazing they are top when you see how they were before their current run as they got 1 point out of 3 games and looked out of it.

That's why games like yesterday was important for us, every dropped point could make a huge difference in the end.

Also, can't believe how well Viktor Moses is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Alonso77

murpho999 wrote: »
    That doesn't matter, after a bad start they look seriously good.

Amazing they are top when you see how they were before their current run as they got 1 point out of 3 games and looked out of it.

That's why games like yesterday was important for us, every dropped point could make a huge difference in the end.

Also, can't believe how well Viktor Moses is doing.

could say the exact same thing about Chelsea's dropped pts early on aswell. every team will drop pts, not at the same time.

I reckon they had a little blip at the time and we were brilliant.
    I wouldn't fancy playing them now.

If Kane stays fit I think Spurs will win the league or go very close

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Just seen they are 18/1. Jaysus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

RoboKlopp wrote: »

He really is the difference between a solid, workmanlike team and title contenders.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement