Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The two teams have been linked to him Southampton & West Ham if we could get van Dijk or Cresswell for cash and Sturridge I'd take that.

No way we are getting anywhere near £30m for him even in the crazy transfer market of today's football market.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If you read Klopps quotes on Firmino how he is the 'first defender', that's what he wants in a forward. He would never say that about Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The two teams have been linked to him Southampton & West Ham if we could get van Dijk or Cresswell for cash and Sturridge I'd take that.

No way we are getting anywhere near £30m for him even in the crazy transfer market of today's football market.
    Cresswell would not be good enough gets done in 1v1's too easily.
    Taylor from Leeds in the 3-4 games I have seen looks a very good player. Will be free next summer too not including compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

MD1990 wrote: »
    Taylor from Leeds in the 3-4 games I have seen looks a very good player. Will be free next summer too not including compensation.

Impressed mostly with Taylor and the excellently named Ronaldo Vieria for Leeds when they played us. Taylors defensive side seems quite strong. Don't really know enough about him to know what his attacking game is like

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I'll be all edgy and uncool and say I'm gutted with the Sturridge news, we could really do with him in the absence of Coutinho, **** writing obituaries or getting the tin foil hat on about him always missing Xmas, we could actually do with him on the pitch, it's bad news for us fans and the team in general, the squad is being stretched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Seems Klopp is raiding Schalke again for Sead Kolasinac, a Bosnian left back, 23 years of age and available on a Bosman. Chelsea are linked aswell.

Schalke will be sick of the sight of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I'll be all edgy and uncool and say I'm gutted with the Sturridge news, we could really do with him in the absence of Coutinho, **** writing obituaries or getting the tin foil hat on about him always missing Xmas, we could actually do with him on the pitch, it's bad news for us fans and the team in general, the squad is being stretched.

What's "tinfoil hat" about it? Are you saying it's not a fact?

What's "tinfoil hat" about it? Are you saying it's not a fact?

I have no idea if it's true, I don't obsess over his injuries but if the implication is that it's intentional then yeah I'd say that's foil hat stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If he were playing he'd look for a straight red and have a nice quiet Christmas ;) (doing a Joey Barton according to the guardian who were clearly one talking point short for this weekends games)

• Advertisement

If he were playing he'd look for a straight red and have a nice quiet Christmas ;) (doing a Joey Barton according to the guardian who were clearly one talking point short for this weekends games)

Here Harry, see if that fits!

tin-baseball.jpg?w=646&h=534

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Jesus,Harry...that's quite the can of worms you're opening up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Sturridge is a boring topic. He's probably still a very good striker for a totally different coach and playing approach.

Sturridge out again. So much for a minor calf injury.

Must be a herd

Here Harry, see if that fits!

tin-baseball.jpg?w=646&h=534

Pah this is me and I'd like a word with the man!

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Must be a herd

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/807208198990139392
    Klopp on Karius: When we analysed the game I saw eight players who could have stopped a goal before Loris was involved

I understand Klopp defending his buys, fair enough and I'm sure there was other players that could be blamed (same with every goal) but fcking hell it was a goalkeeping howler simple as that! Sort your sh1t out Karius!

I understand Klopp defending his buys, fair enough and I'm sure there was other players that could be blamed (same with every goal) but fcking hell it was a goalkeeping howler simple as that! Sort your sh1t out Karius!

When the keeper has to make a save in general play it means everyone in front of him has failed to do their job.

When the keeper has to make a save in general play it means everyone in front of him has failed to do their job.

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

It's self evident I'd have thought.

• Advertisement

I though all facts were tin foil hats today?

Lots of people failing to do their jobs multiple times in every match ever played, why aren't these guys being sacked for gross negligence!

I though all facts were tin foil hats today?

How's it going buddy, still ignoring me I see!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A goal every 2.5 games for Firmino is not going to be good enough to shoot us to Champions.
    Our front 3 have 17 goals and 11 assists which maybe is reason we don't need a 28 goal a season striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Aye, but he's hardly going to hang his keeper out to dry in the media now is he, particularly seeing as it's a signing he brought in
    A goal every 2.5 games for Firmino is not going to be good enough to shoot us to Champions.
    Our front 3 have 17 goals and 11 assists which maybe is reason we don't need a 28 goal a season striker.

What's the front 3 averaging? It's not like we're playing with a lone striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

He has faced nearly the least amount of shots in Europe, let alone the PL.

Fair enough, other players could have prevented the shot, but they can't always be perfect. The keeper is meant to be that safety blanket for when everyone else fecks up, but Karius has shown little to inspire confidence in that regard.

I really, really don't like his shot stopping. Just looks so unnatural to me.

D'Agger wrote: »
    Aye, but he's hardly going to hang his keeper out to dry in the media now is he, particularly seeing as it's a signing he brought in

Yup that's why I opened up saying I can understand him defending his buys! I'm just saying and I'm sure most would agree that it's a bit of bluster from Jurgen to defend his keeper but it was definitely Karius' fault not 8 other players before him!

I would not get too concerned about stats for Firmino considering all that he brings to the team.
    For example Kane has more goals due to penalties than many strikers but I would not swap him for Firmino.

I would not get too concerned about stats for Firmino considering all that he brings to the team.
    For example Kane has more goals due to penalties than many strikers but I would not swap him for Firmino.

I'd swap Kane for Sturridge and throw Spurs a bit of money as well though.

I'd swap Sturridge for Suarez and throw Barca some money seeing as we're playing silly beggars!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Yup that's why I opened up saying I can understand him defending his buys! I'm just saying and I'm sure most would agree that it's a bit of bluster from Jurgen to defend his keeper but it was definitely Karius' fault not 8 other players before him!

True, easier to blame a unit of a few players than single out one individual, particularly when it's an individual who might be feeling the pressure as a young fella in a new league. I'm all for giving Mingolet a chance again for the record, but think it's understandable what Klopp is doing here.

Christ I hate Kane, I've been waiting for his silver streak to drop off for 18months now and the bástard isn't letting up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Pretty sure you wouldn't find a single Spurs fan who'd swap Kane for Firmino, to be honest. Doubt they'd swap him for anyone in our team.

Knex. wrote: »
    Pretty sure you wouldn't find a single Spurs fan who'd swap Kane for Firmino, to be honest. Doubt they'd swap him for anyone in our team.

The fans wouldn't but Levy would for the right price he'd sell his granny for the right price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

D'Agger wrote: »
    Christ I hate Kane, I've been waiting for his silver streak to drop off for 18months now and the bástard isn't letting up

Reminds of of Sheringham - difficult to pin-point his strengths. You just don't know how he's able to bang them in, but he just keeps on doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Klopp was right to defend Karius but he cant be talking about the shot that cost us a point surely? Karius failed to catch a straight forward shot that bounced. It was ridiculous mistake and its disingenuous to say 8 players could have stopped that before Karius. Which I'm ok with for the press, but if thats how he dealt with it behind the scenes I'd be disappointed.

Karius currently is a mess of a GK saved by the fact theres a worse mess on the bench behind him. Harsh as that is I do hope he improves because Klopp is fully behind him and I suppose that has to do.

I mean I know people will say he needs time but at 3-3 I'm not asking for heroics. Just hold a ball ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Matip says no to Afcon

Saw that alright. Can't Cameroon demand that he not play any club games during that period?

NukaCola wrote: »
    Klopp was right to defend Karius but he cant be talking about the shot that cost us a point surely? Karius failed to catch a straight forward shot that bounced. It was ridiculous mistake and its disingenuous to say 8 players could have stopped that before Karius. Which I'm ok with for the press, but if thats how he dealt with it behind the scenes I'd be disappointed.

Karius currently is a mess of a GK saved by the fact theres a worse mess on the bench behind him. Harsh as that is I do hope he improves because Klopp is fully behind him and I suppose that has to do.

I mean I know people will say he needs time but at 3-3 I'm not asking for heroics. Just hold a ball ffs.

Unfortunately that's debatable, from what I've seen Mignolet is better.

Unfortunately that's debatable, from what I've seen Mignolet is better.

True.......I suppose what I mean is we know Mig is a disaster, maybe theres more to Karius, maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

There was no way Klopp would keep Sturridge beyond this summer. Regardless of fitness he is the wrong sort of striker. Like Owen and Torres he is essentially one dimensional - once he loses pace he loses most of his game. Add in his lack of fitness and he isn't of much value to the squad.

Nonsense. He is one of the most skilfull players I have seen. He has an unbelievable touch and fantastic vision. He is clever too, trying shots and passes that wouldnt even cross the mind of 90% off other players.

Pace was never his game.

I genuinely feel sorry for Sturridge, he gets some ammount of sh1te. Yes, he is injury prone, but he doesnt want to be. He wants to be loved - obviously - the face on him this season. He is genuinely hurt/ miserable at the lack of love (despite his privilege etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I have no idea if it's true, I don't obsess over his injuries but if the implication is that it's intentional then yeah I'd say that's foil hat stuff.

Aguero hates getting out of bed in Manchester during December fyi

NukaCola wrote: »

I think he was talking about the 2nd Bournemouth goal which was the turning point.
    When Origi lost that ball I immediately thought we were going to concede a goal here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Reality is its going to be easier/more likely for Sturidge to adapt to Klopps game plan than it is likely any of our other striking options we have or can buy will acquire his ability at finishing.

While he clearly has not gotten to where Klopp wants him to get to , The turnaround in the likes of Lalanna once he bought into Klopps message is still possible and I would persevere in trying with him till at least the end of the summer.

Presser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I think he was talking about the 2nd Bournemouth goal which was the turning point.
    When Origi lost that ball I immediately thought we were going to concede a goal here.

That's strange, i had the same sensation myself. What Origi was doing with the ball in that position is another question, our team formation was bonkers and we should have been just keeping the ball instead of flooding everyone up into their half.

Karius interview
    What critics say right after the game, I don’t know what I think. If you asked them again would they say it now?

‘And I don’t care what Gary Neville said. He was a manager for a short bit and now he is back to being an expert again.

‘But he is always very critical. I think he does it to everyone. I just hope that when I do well he will comment on that. We will see in the future.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4017802/Liverpool-FC-goalkeeper-Loris-Karius-hits-critics-admits-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Are Senegal much good these days, will Sadio Mane be away for long?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Should have stopped the fullbacks bombing on, should have deployed a more defencive formation, should have controlled the game, need to be less attack minded ... all in hindsight.

We've just not played like that all year and probably will rarely play like that for the rest of the year. We make a balls of one game and all of a sudden everyone knows better than Klopp and his tactics - wanting something different.

We play West Ham this week at home, at 2-0 or 3-1 will everyone want to shore up the defence completely and fear we'll concede? Or do what we did to many teams this season and obliterate them from the game by not taking the foot off the pedal?

Amazing we go 13 unbeaten and lose 1 but the sky is falling in. Our keeper is ****e, Lucas can't play as centre half, Hendo/Can aren't taking defencive responsibilities properly.

I know the average life of a Pool supporter is to second guess, to live week by week with results deciding that A) We won we're in with a shout for the league and B) We lost gona be the same old result year in year out.

I think i'll prefer to have a little optimism when watching us v the hammers this week. Rather than, "As soon as we lost the ball i knew we were about to concede" ... might as well watch the game from behind the sofa lads.

Cheer up - gona smash the hammers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Karius interview

Bottom line is that a new keeper is cut slack when he's looking like he is getting 90 % of his game right but prone to the occasional error.
    Karius isn't close to that though. Shy about commanding his box, looks a pretty poor shot stopper - his strengths have yet to come to the fore. We have two sub par keepers fighting for the one spot.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I genuinely feel sorry for Sturridge, he gets some ammount of sh1te. Yes, he is injury prone, but he doesnt want to be. He wants to be loved - obviously - the face on him this season. He is genuinely hurt/ miserable at the lack of love (despite his privilege etc.).

He gets some ****e alright, but people who defend him religiously say equally ridiculous stuff like above. He wants to be loved? He is hurt and miserable? How could you possibly know that? From a few shots of him sitting on the bench? I dont get that at all. I doubt the club dont appreciate him, being our highest paid player.

I just see a good football who wants to play more than he does. Simple as that.

Sturridge will divide opinions for differing reasons but I see a guy who cant play his way into the team when everyones fit and when he has an opportunity to start due to injuries he himself gets injured.

I do sympathise I rate him highly but he's just not important to us. Cant be relied on, not as effective as a sub, not effective as a forward in Klopps system as others.

He'll do well somewhere else.

Karius has played 9 games for Liverpool 9 games get rid of him now I say he is rubbish and will never improve 9 games is plenty of time to judge any player get rid of him now. He has cost us the title already get rid of him now before he plays game number 10.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement