Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

NukaCola wrote: »
    Performance was decent enough just gave away two stupid goals which is to be expected now.

I dont think we should be throwing away points so a young keeper can develop but thats just me, I'm sure people who want to defend him will make comparisons to how DeGea developed I'll just stop it there because Karius is currently miles behind where DeGea started from. All I see after 10 games is a keeper who cant save, catch, punch, position himself for a free, command his area or close players down to the level we need but apart from that he'll be grand according to some.

Any younger keeper in the ranks on the cusp of a call up?
    Go shopping in January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Augeo wrote: »
    I'd go 4 4 2 against M'boro, give firmino a rest on bench for 60 mins.

Mane, origi & wij' with lallana, Hendo & Can should he fine against Boro. Presuming can is fit to play of course.

Karius is a big worry now IMO, didn't see much positive today from him. I'm not anticipating a De Gea type keeper to result from his development.

Can is injured. Said on NBC he picked up a knock in training against Origi and could be out for two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Panthro wrote: »
    Go shopping in January

Can't see them shopping for another keeper in January. Mignolet should come back in though. He was actually playing decently early in the season even though long term he's probably not the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

The players have looked very lethargic the last 2 games. Entering the final 15 or so minutes movement is very slow from what I've seen. Almost like the lads are running through treacle at times. Some fresh legs are definitely needed to give some drive at that point least. Trouble with that is the lack of options off the bench. Injuries have certainly taken their toll on the squad and now we're down to bare bones in all honesty.

Maybe pushing Henderson further forward from where he is currently playing might be an option. Stick Stewart in the holding role instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Panthro wrote: »
    Go shopping in January

Nah, Manninger or Mignolet are the backups, probably wont look to buy in Jan either. Our options at GK are definitely the worst of teams realistically going for top 4 IMO.

• Advertisement

We've played far less games than all other top6 teams except Chelsea..... tiredness is no excuse IMO.

Lovren felt his hamstring cramp up. Wanted to play on but they didn't take a chance with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sigh.

What can you say about that performance only that some very stupid mistakes cost us 3 important points.

I think we should rotate the keepers to bring Mig back into PL and send Karius to cup duty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

When is the last time we had a truly great goalkeeper? Reina? He was great but also dropped his share of clangers. Before him would it have been Grobbelaar? He was great too but was very eccentric. I wish we had a keeper that was as strong as either one of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Firmino doesn't work out in the wider position imo, and it might be time to stop playing Karius in the false goalkeeper role :)

Seriously, I would get Mignolet back in now and get Karius out of the firing line for a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The thing with Mignolet is that he could actually save some shots.

Karius doesnt really do anything apart from unnerve people around him, much like Skrtel did. He now needs the Moreno treatment.

My twitter timeline is full of 'we miss Coutinho'. I think we will miss Mane just as much when he heads off to AFCON.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Good to be back after a 2 week totally voluntary break from these parts, think I picked a good couple of games to miss.

Anyway, when will John Achterberg go away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

daithijjj wrote: »
    The thing with Mignolet is that he could actually save some shots.

Karius doesnt really do anything apart from unnerve people around him, much like Skrtel did. He now needs the Moreno treatment.

My twitter timeline is full of 'we miss Coutinho'. I think we will miss Mane just as much when he heads off to AFCON.

Was just thinking this as I watched the game today. Lallana is doing a good job of pulling the strings for you guys so Coutinho isn't as big a loss as he might have been a year ago. But it's Mane who offers something different to the lot with his willing running and stretching of the defence. It's how I wish Martial would perform for United at the moment.

Anyway, when will John Achterberg go away?

Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Was just thinking this as I watched the game today. Lallana is doing a good job of pulling the strings for you guys so Coutinho isn't as big a loss as he might have been a year ago. But it's Mane who offers something different to the lot with his willing running and stretching of the defence. It's how I wish Martial would perform for United at the moment.

Mane is the type of player we missed massively from the squad over the last few years.

Has done very well so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Karius is a goalkeeper that doesn't want to get hurt.

And he has cost us 5 points.

..... well regarded in Germany though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

https://twitter.com/LivEchoLFC/status/808034872539262976
    'Things can change quickly for a keeper – Brad Jones just got voted the best keeper in the Eredivisie. Really.' #LFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Delighted for him to be honest. He always did his best for us and I still remember that penalty save against Blackburn with his first touch of the game, not long after he lost his son. Great to see his career taking a sharp upturn, everyone thought he was done when he went to Bradford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Not getting the hate today for karius tbh. Good free that was nearly saved from payet and the second was a huge mistake from matip, who it seems reading here is immune to critism. I'm not saying he's great, but he wasn't the losing of the game today.
    Had enough ball to win 2 games today, but looked leggy alright and no cutting edge. When we got ahead in last 2 games, we didn't have the killer instinct and let opposition back into a game we should be killing off. Needed a flukey goal to equalise and in truth didn't look like getting the winner.

• Advertisement

Not getting the hate today for karius tbh. Good free that was nearly saved from payet and the second was a huge mistake from matip, who it seems reading here is immune to critism. I'm not saying he's great, but he wasn't the losing of the game today.
    Had enough ball to win 2 games today, but looked leggy alright and no cutting edge. When we got ahead in last 2 games, we didn't have the killer instinct and let opposition back into a game we should be killing off. Needed a flukey goal to equalise and in truth didn't look like getting the winner.

I think he should have saved 3 of the last 5 goals we've conceded. A good keeper makes those saves. Bournemouth's 2nd and 4th last week and West Ham's 1st today.

And I wasn't crazy about what he did for West Ham's 2nd today either but I'll give him a pass on that one. Either way it's costing us points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Maybe he should stop reading this thread if it's hurting his feelings and make a few saves instead. Ridiculous post.

Where did i say that the posters here were having an effect on him? I said they were a disgrace and i stand by it. Making a judgment on a guy after a tiny sample size. Saying **** like he's not earning his wages. Give the guy a chance ffs. Look at more than just his games for us. Go check out how he did at Mainz. Or is being a goalkeeper in the premiership THAT different..

I would imagine that these same people wanted Firmino shipped out this time last year. I certainly remember posts to that effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

We played very well second half and had more than enough chances to win it. Can't argue with the attitude anyway.

Said it last week though and stick by it, if you are fragile at the back teams will know it and will never feel they are beat

Che utd and sou all 1 0 today. Did we all feel confident of a win st 1 0?

We won't get 6 points from boro and eve but need to if we want to he serious about a challenge.

Feel free to quote me when I'm wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I didn't see the game today nor the goals. But I saw th line ups and subs etc. Our bench is devoid of options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Last week Karius was very poor, but I wouldn't even blame him for the first today. He set a wall and covered the other side.
    Lallana seems to be escaping criticism for giving away the free, or the players in the wall that were bullied out of the way. Imo if Couthino, Gerrard or Suarez scored that free kick everyone would be claiming no keeper in the world would save it. Payet is amazing when it comes to dead balls. Sometimes you just got to admit it was a good goal scored against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Not many mentioning the fact that FIRMINHO has been utter ****e since the palace game,karius made a balls of the free kick but wasn't at fault for the second,origi was poor today,lallana was good as was wijnaldum, Henderson and milner and Clyne,we are seeing the true Liverpool now and any little glimpse we had of the title can be forgotten about,the reallity is we are just about a top 4 team which is a shame cos I was getting a little excited too,we are now 6 and 4 points behind two teams we beat,how the he'll did that happen

You have to remember 15 played & 31 pts.
    Ahead of man city
    3rd in the table.

We are still in a very good position :)

mav79 wrote: »
    Last week Karius was very poor, but I wouldn't even blame him for the first today. He set a wall and covered the other side.
    Lallana seems to be escaping criticism for giving away the free, or the players in the wall that were bullied out of the way. Imo if Couthino, Gerrard or Suarez scored that free kick everyone would be claiming no keeper in the world would save it. Payet is amazing when it comes to dead balls. Sometimes you just got to admit it was a good goal scored against us.

It wasn't even a great free kick by Payet's standards. Not hit with loads of pace and not even in the corner. Should have been saved by any competent keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Seriously?

..yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

mav79 wrote: »

He should have saved the free, it wasn't hit particularly hard and wasn't far off being down the middle of the net probably half way between the middle and the actual corner, Payet is amazing at frees yes but that wasn't one of his better ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Lallana deserves criticism alright. Silly free kick to give away but the shot wasn't even close to being in the corner and Karius should have got to it.

Matip was poor for the 2nd but again Karius has to take most of the blame. He just stops dead in no man's land, once he made the decision to come off his line he had to commit to it. Would also be a little critical of Clyne he seemed to slow down and stop following the ball after the shot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You have to remember 15 played & 31 pts.
    Ahead of man city
    3rd in the table.

We are still in a very good position :)

Yes we are, but with a good keeper we could very easily be 5 points better off from the last 2 games alone, that would be a seriously good position to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Not many mentioning the fact that FIRMINHO has been utter ****e since the palace game,karius made a balls of the free kick but wasn't at fault for the second,origi was poor today,lallana was good as was wijnaldum, Henderson and milner and Clyne,we are seeing the true Liverpool now and any little glimpse we had of the title can be forgotten about,the reallity is we are just about a top 4 team which is a shame cos I was getting a little excited too,we are now 6 and 4 points behind two teams we beat,how the he'll did that happen

Fairly sure plenty of people have noted that Firmino has been off the boil lately, players have bad games, it happens. He's not in his correct position once Origi starts either, injuries to the squad are having knock on effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Firmino no goals and no assist for the last five games

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Firmino no goals and no assist for the last five games

Definitely much better when he's central rather than wide. Seems a bit leggy recently as well although that might be my imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Quantity over quality is the way our chances go.
    That leads to a lot of variability.

A top class team would be expecting 10-0 every week if you were spending as much time in the opponents box as we do, making as many "chances".

Barcelona conceded 29 league goals last season. That's 8 fewer than Leicester.
    You can say La Liga is ****e, and that's more true than it used to be given the recent surge of money into the PL, but I simply do not believe that Barca are better at defending than Spurs, Leicester of last season, Chelsea, etc..

They use their attack to kill the spirit of their opponents. If they can't do that, they get found out, as they have been several times this season, and do more often in the CL where teams can match them, but if a team goes 4-0 up against you by half time, that's it. You're dead.

If we want to win things at this level playing the way we do, we need to be able to do that virtually all the time. Not just get the openener or put our opponents on the ground, but grab them and thrust their faces into the muck while they're down there until they just want to cry and go home.

We're making a battle of every game because we're failing to pull away and not only does that increase the chance of dropping points but it's going to be bloody exhausting as well.
    This was something Klopp talked about early on. He doesn't really want us to be running like lunatics every game. We should be able to rely on the quality of our football.

Our attack today was rubbish. Some good play by good players, but too little serious threat.
    When we're on song, eventually we can engineer chances where we can fumble it in and with games like Watford, where we were making a chance every couple of minutes, we can put quite a few away, but we're more like a dozen peasants with pitchforks than a master swordsman.

Gbear wrote: »
    Quantity over quality is the way our chances go.
    That leads to a lot of variability.

A top class team would be expecting 10-0 every week if you were spending as much time in the opponents box as we do, making as many "chances".

Barcelona conceded 29 league goals last season. That's 8 fewer than Leicester.
    You can say La Liga is ****e, and that's more true than it used to be given the recent surge of money into the PL, but I simply do not believe that Barca are better at defending than Spurs, Leicester of last season, Chelsea, etc..

They use their attack to kill the spirit of their opponents. If they can't do that, they get found out, as they have been several times this season, and do more often in the CL where teams can match them, but if a team goes 4-0 up against you by half time, that's it. You're dead.

If we want to win things at this level playing the way we do, we need to be able to do that virtually all the time. Not just get the openener or put our opponents on the ground, but grab them and thrust their faces into the muck while they're down there until they just want to cry and go home.

We're making a battle of every game because we're failing to pull away and not only does that increase the chance of dropping points but it's going to be bloody exhausting as well.
    This was something Klopp talked about early on. He doesn't really want us to be running like lunatics every game. We should be able to rely on the quality of our football.

Our attack today was rubbish. Some good play by good players, but too little serious threat.
    When we're on song, eventually we can engineer chances where we can fumble it in and with games like Watford, where we were making a chance every couple of minutes, we can put quite a few away, but we're more like a dozen peasants with pitchforks than a master swordsman.

We scored 3 away last week and 2 at home today against a struggling West Ham side. That should be enough for 6 points really. The goals we've conceded is the problem. We've scored plenty.

Chelsea are top because they are only conceding either 1 goal or 0 goals per game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Has there been any mention of how long sturridge will be out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Having a good goalkeeper can make such a difference . When you have goalkeepers like we do it spreads panic in the rest of the team. If we are nervy watching karius you can be sure the players are nervy playing with him. I never understood why goalkeepers don't go for bigger fees its not far off being the most important part of a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I'm sanguine enough after that, in truth. Individual errors costing us hugely - Karius probably needs to be benched but won't be. Still scoring goals albeit without looking anywhere near the threat we were a month ago. Firmino off form at just the wrong time - need him to step up when Coutinho's out. I actually don't think Mané's been firing on all cylinders lately even though his returns have been very good indeed - credit to him.
    Origi's done wonderfully well to score 4 in 4 but I don't think that he fits the system as well as it was when Firmino was spearheading it.
    Two draws that should have been wins - Saints away and Hammers today - and one freakish defeat last weekend. 3 points against Boro during the week and things will look better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Seriously?

Throw up the names of a couple of keepers that have improved under his watch? Not even a couple...one will do.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Karius is really starting to annoy me now. Clear error from him for the goal in my view as it wasn't hit that well by Payet's standard to be honest. Bad mix up by Matip as well for the second but we looked once again likely to concede every time that West Ham attacked today, same as last week. Our fluidity isn't there fully still, really does show how much of a work in progress the whole project is. We can't play well every week, but hopefully we can get a win again on Wednesday when we're back on the horse.

Firmino was very poor again as was mentioned. Henderson looked like the best palyer out there for us today in my view. I thought he had a very good game, and was unlucky to not score a fantastic goal again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Livepool need to sign a bastard in midfield and that's been true for years now.

Livepool need to sign a bastard in midfield.

Winter is here and I know just the fella. He loves a battle and has even better hair than Karius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Who, who?

Who, who?

Danny Murphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

martyos121 wrote: »
    Winter is here and I know just the fella. He loves a battle and has even better hair than Karius.

im_ready_game_of_thrones.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Liverpool are not going to win the league with either Karius or Mignolet in goals.

They need to stump up some serious cash and get a good goalkeeper in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Livepool need to sign a bastard in midfield and that's been true for years now.

Joey Barton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Throw up the names of a couple of keepers that have improved under his watch? Not even a couple...one will do.
    Jose Enrique.
    transformed from an LB into a GK
    142263714_display_image.jpg?1333477476

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement