Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sappy404 wrote: »

Also, this 'shut up and do your job' comment from Carragher was totally unnecessary. Karius was more than entitled to have a pop an his critics, and to point out their failings when they point out his. And does it not rub anyone else the wrong way to hear a dyed in the wool Liverpool man like Carragher so staunchly take Neville's side over Karius'?

Carragher thing shouldn't be surprising. He has always came across as a bit of a dickhead, and constantly blamed others for his mistakes, so is going to relish in pointing them out now. Seems to be craving the attention now that he's in the media, and overly critical of the club the make sure people can't accuse him of being bias. If Karius was a young English keeper he'd be getting a lot less criticism from both him and Neville.

As for Karius he's right to take a shot at Neville. He's deserving of criticism but Neville's going to lay it on thick at every chance he gets given who he plays for.

- 'Boro are good side. .............

I watched their game last Monday night, they are indeed good to be fair. I had a bet on them and lost but they did well, well able to play ball and try and create. They struggle to put the ball in the net though so hopefully they'll have a go against us and allow us space to do out thing.

Hopefully they won't score a couple against us but at the moment it's a worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Turtyturd wrote: »

As for Karius he's right to take a shot at Neville. He's deserving of criticism but Neville's going to lay it on thick at every chance he gets given who he plays for.

No player should ever get involved in a media based spat with a pundit - the pundit will always have the last word and the player will never come out of it on top if the issue at hand is simply a matter of opinion, rather than something factual. Tis a fools errand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Vicxas wrote: »
    While i dont think Karius is a bad keeper, i think throwing him in at the deep end was a bad idea.

The PL is one of the toughest leagues in the world and having him start out in the league seems to have thrown him.

I think a swap back to the cups will do him good.

Well he's 23 he's not a teenager. He was obviously brought in to be an upgrade on Mignolet.
    Throwing him in at the deep end against the likes of Bournemouth & West Ham is hardly unfair. It's not even physically where he struggled, unlike De Gea. He is making mistakes with the ball at his feet (him managing to give away a corner from a goal kick was unfathomable) & the clangers he let in were hardly efforts you only see in the premier league. He should be dropped but I don't think he will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Carragher thing shouldn't be surprising. He has always came across as a bit of a dickhead, and constantly blamed others for his mistakes, so is going to relish in pointing them out now. Seems to be craving the attention now that he's in the media, and overly critical of the club the make sure people can't accuse him of being bias.

https://twitter.com/SquawkaNews/status/808019129689112581

De Gea was 21, Karius is 23.

Carra is quite unlikeable imo.

No player should ever get involved in a media based spat with a pundit - the pundit will always have the last word and the player will never come out of it on top if the issue at hand is simply a matter of opinion, rather than something factual. Tis a fools errand.

Agree to an extent, although with social media the playing field is leveled somewhat and doesn't guarantee the pundit the last word.

Have to remember as well that he is only 23. These days I find it easy to ignore 1 or 2 constantly craving attention and a response from me, would I have at that age? I dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

brevity wrote: »

Its one thing for a fan to give Karius stick on a message but another to do what Carra is doing.

On the giving Neville a bit of stick back then I wouldn't have done it but **** him. He failed as a manager and is making a living basically trying to analyse other managers tactics and players. I think Karius's point was its easy to criticise. And it is. I do it regularly :pac:

Carra backing up his media mate is no surprise. Really two faced, I wonder if they tried to get Klopp on again would Carra be so critical to one of the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Karius made an error, and Matip made an error

Both were punished, but for me Karius was worse....the wall was poorly positioned, and his starting position was poor.

For me we have 2 keepers that are nowhere near good enough to challenge for a title. I can forgive the odd mistake....every keeper makes one from time to time, but our 2 make too many

Klopp has a few transfers that he has to get right in Jan, and I think he should add a keeper to the list.

Also, whats the story with Grujic? Is he injured, or does Klopp just not rate him. And anyone know what is wrong with Can

...........but for me Karius was worse....the wall was poorly positioned, and his starting position was poor. ................

Said that at the time in the match topic, brutal. And he spent long enough directing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

noodler wrote: »
    Just yesterday now, butbi thought Oirigi was really poor.

Extremely weak on and off the ball and not showing the kind of endeavour I'd like.

More than that though, I think the whole team is better when Firminho plays up top.

I think he's fine, likes a turn! But you just don't get the same interplay when we don't have our first choice front 3. He's 21, it'll come. Coutinho makes us tick.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Unless Mig is sold there is zero chance of getting a new GK in Jan....

NukaCola wrote: »
    Its one thing for a fan to give Karius stick on a message but another to do what Carra is doing.

On the giving Neville a bit of stick back then I wouldn't have done it but **** him. He failed as a manager and is making a living basically trying to analyse other managers tactics and players. I think Karius's point was its easy to criticise. And it is. I do it regularly :pac:

Carra backing up his media mate is no surprise. Really two faced, I wonder if they tried to get Klopp on again would Carra be so critical to one of the players.

Carragher hyped up Flanagan as an option for us recently which tells you how much attention you should pay to him.

The only surprising thing is that he came out on TV and said it. He normally saves that for Twitter so he can delete it when people pull him up on it.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Unless Mig is sold there is zero chance of getting a new GK in Jan....

I'd say Mig is open to that :)

Also, whats the story with Grujic? Is he injured, or does Klopp just not rate him. And anyone know what is wrong with Can

Grujic is injured. Can has a knock knee I think, he got cleaned out in the last training session by someone!

5starpool wrote: »
    Karius should definitely have saved that free kick yesterday, anyone who says otherwise is in denial in my view.

The criticism of the wall is fair though.

Best excuse was Alan Smith on Sky saying Karius wasn't in the league long enough to know about Payet. If that's true we really do need to get rid of the coach.

I wouldn't blame him much for the second, stupid deflection.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Grujic is injured. Can has a knock knee I think, he got cleaned out in the last training session by someone!

Typical from Karius and/or Moreno......

K-9 wrote: »
    I wouldn't blame him much for the second, stupid deflection.

That finish was excellent for the second as well.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

People are missing the point on the ddg comparison. It's not about Karius becoming as good as ddg it's about the natural difficulties in settling in at a new club in a new country. It certainly didn't help that he was injured in pre season either.

I understand the frustration given he has played pretty poorly but all this "he can't make a save" is rubbish. He's been poor in a small sample size, go watch his games for mainz and you'll see a good keeper. Give the lad some time and by time I mean months not games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

https://twitter.com/SquawkaNews/status/808019129689112581

De Gea was 21, Karius is 23.

Not that it matters too much but De Gea was 20 when he joined in at the end of June 2011 and turned 21 that November.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/13933241

• Advertisement

Really all we've learned over the last couple of weeks is we aren't realistic title challengers unless things like injuries go our way. Would have been nice but top 4 is there for the taking and we'd have taken that at the start of the season.

Middlesboro don't score much so that's something, but it us so...

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    People are missing the point on the ddg comparison. It's not about Karius becoming as good as ddg it's about the natural difficulties in settling in at a new club in a new country. It certainly didn't help that he was injured in pre season either.

I understand the frustration given he has played pretty poorly but all this "he can't make a save" is rubbish. He's been poor in a small sample size, go watch his games for mainz and you'll see a good keeper. Give the lad some time and by time I mean months not games.

I see your point but the only real criticism of DDG was weak on corners IIRC, you could see he was going to be a very good keeper. Karius seems to have a lot to improve on his game, that's the choice the club made though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Not that it matters too much but De Gea was 20 when he joined in at the end of June 2011 and turned 21 that November.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/13933241

But De Gea didn't really start until he was 21.

Anyway it was mostly me being pendatic. And something I saw on Reddit.

Its rather disappointing that pundits, especially ex-players, seem to enjoy attacking young players when they make mistakes. You would think that they understand the difficulties young players face. But they must pander to the baying masses.

And someone as limited at Carra leading the charge? Please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'd hate to think what position we'd be in in the league if we had Europe to contend with it.

Pyjamarama wrote: »

We cant afford to give him that time when he isn't showing any improvements. We are dropping points and while he isn't to blame for everything we cant afford to carry an underperforming player. 10 games isn't insignificant either, in another 10 games our title challenge or top 4 challenge could be over.

And while mistakes happen his all round game is really poor. I personally dont care how good he was for a different team if he cant reproduce it here. How many more games must we watch him spill balls, struggle for catches and struggle for form? He absolutely needs more time but are we in a position to do that right now? If Klopp thinks we are we may blow a great chance for top 4 after our excellent start.

The alternative isn't much better so he will get time. But he should be dropped for a few games. No other player would get the time he's getting with no improvement being made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Slattsy wrote: »
    I'd hate to think what position we'd be in in the league if we had Europe to contend with it.

Yea my same feelings exactly. The last few games have shown how thin our squad really is. I will be dissapointed if we dont recruit 2 - 3 players in the january transfer window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

We'd have a much deeper squad, the club has loads of money to spend and they'd have spent it.

We'd have a much deeper squad.

This imagining thing only works in the negative.

Probably would have kept Allen and maybe Ibe & bought a replacement for Benteke.

Although, I wouldn't think we'd have had the same pts haul after 13 PL games if we were contesting the EL too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

But De Gea didn't really start until he was 21.

Anyway it was mostly me being pendatic. And something I saw on Reddit.

Its rather disappointing that pundits, especially ex-players, seem to enjoy attacking young players when they make mistakes. You would think that they understand the difficulties young players face. But they must pander to the baying masses.

And someone as limited at Carra leading the charge? Please.

Agreed, easy targets.
    You wouldn't mind but the likes of Neville and Carragher didn't hit the ground running on their post playing days either.
    This apparent need to have every single signing be a success from the start has no foundation in reality.

I'd like to see a GK pundit too, someone who can put across the points of a goalkeeper's decision making. I'm not a huge fan of David James but I think he had a go at others before for assuming goalkeeping knowledge when they were outfield players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Really all we've learned over the last couple of weeks is we aren't realistic title challengers unless things like injuries go our way. Would have been nice but top 4 is there for the taking and we'd have taken that at the start of the season.

Everyone's going to get injuries at some point.

I never saw us as a title challenger because of the defensive frailities, which were always going to be exposed at some point. Top four should be ok, but if do get it and don't sort thigns out, we'll be in and out of the Champions League pretty fast, which is the bigger worry for me.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

The squad is adequately sized for the games we have this season. If we make it into Europe next season, I imagine the owners and management will improve the quality in certain areas, but not necessarily increase the size of the squad.

I wouldn't be overly confident of Top4, Spurs and Utd aren't that far behind us and I'm not expecting us to stay ahead of Man City for much longer.

It'll be Feb (all going well) before we have Firmino, Mane & Coutinho in the team again (as in all 3 of them together)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

We have also learned that we have a terrible goalkeeper that needs dropping straight away this de gea argument is ridiculous for every de gea there is dozens of keepers that started shtie and stayed shtie
    Can't afford to give him more time he has shown nothing what so ever to suggest he's any good, for Christ sake he kicked a goal kick out for a corner

There's BINGO for those keeping track of people who only show up after we lose.

Ironic coming from someone who often goes weeks without posting in here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

x43r0 wrote: »

Jurgen did the same when he visited with Dortmund, sign him up... :)

It be nice to actually have a player playing for us for reasons other than money, you can't buy that...

There's trouble brewing between Carragher and Hamann on twitter. Didi's taking exception to Carragher telling Karius to shut up.
    Might be that they're both in on the act. Waiting for the microwave ding on my popcorn none the less!

Odds on Stan Collymore wading in?

Odds on Stan Collymore wading in?

Depends on if they take it to the car park or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Did Carragher tell him to shut up on Twitter?
    I wouldnt allow my players on twitter.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Did Carragher tell him to shut up on Twitter?
    I wouldnt allow my players on twitter.

Yeah, basically.
    Hamann stated that they "shut up and do your job" quote was the wrong thing to say, some third party passed a comment on it to which Hamann said something along the lines of "it doesn't matter, it's disrespectful". This was the tweet Carragher jumped in with a "Shut Up".

He said it during half time yesterday, you could almost see the thoughts of media coverage going through his head.

Edit: didn't know he'd directly said it to Hamaan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭chicorytip

razorblunt wrote:
    There's trouble brewing between Carragher and Hamann on twitter. Didi's taking exception to Carragher telling Karius to shut up. Might be that they're both in on the act. Waiting for the microwave ding on my popcorn none the less!

Why can't all these so called pundits just go away and open pubs, or something, when they retire? Dunphy, love or loathe him,is really the only one of that ilk with anything intelligent or insightful to contribute.

chicorytip wrote: »
    ..............Dunphy..........is really the only one of that ilk with anything intelligent or insightful to contribute.

ban-on-internet-slang-that-s-derp-books-the-guardian-W4iItl-clipart.jpg

Dunphy, rent a gob, his intelligent insight depends on if he's yet to fall out with people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

What would be good is if you had like the coverage for other leagues on tv here for premier league games.

Program starts a couple of mins before the game, team line ups given then kick off, HT is filled with replays of goals if any and then back again for the 2nd half, 5 mins at the end for game highlights and program over no need for 2 hours of analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

There's BINGO for those keeping track of people who only show up after we lose.

Am I missing an in-joke or something? We did not lose, why are there all these posts saying we did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Thought it was a mistake to drop Mignolet when Klopp did and haven't seen anything to change my mind. He was in good form, looked like he was learning to command his box and didn't do anything to warrant being benched. Karius might be the future, but he's a liability right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

The more games Karius plays, the harder it's going to be to loan him out in the Summer

• Advertisement

Anyone wrote: »
    The more games Karius plays, the harder it's going to be to loan him out in the Summer

Huddersfield might take him when Danny comes back to us :)
    Unless of course he improves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement