Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

8-10 wrote: »
    Am I missing an in-joke or something? We did not lose, why are there all these posts saying we did?

'Twas a joke about the 'loss' yesterday, although the general point remains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

"He showed he struggled with the job to judge players so why do we let him talk about players on television?

"Obviously the Neville brothers don't like Liverpool, I have no problem and if they can cause bigger problems then we have already, they have tried. By the way, you can tell him I am not on Twitter so if he wants to tell me something Twitter doesn't help."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/37790815

:) Klopp on the Nevilles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ich liebe Klopp.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

After today's cl draw. We now play Leicester and city away after they have last 16 games the midweek before. We also play arsenal the weekend before they play Bayern. May give us a slight edge in those 3 tricky games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Not loving Hamann and Carra fighting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

noodler wrote: »
    Not loving Hamann and Carra fighting!

There's no fight, it's 'banter' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Thought it was a mistake to drop Mignolet when Klopp did and haven't seen anything to change my mind. He was in good form, looked like he was learning to command his box and didn't do anything to warrant being benched. Karius might be the future, but he's a liability right now.

We all know mignolet is not the long term answer but he was dropped at a time when he was playing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Waiting for Carra to tell Klopp to shut up and concentrate on doing his job Tweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

After today's cl draw. We now play Leicester and city away after they have last 16 games the midweek before. We also play arsenal the weekend before they play Bayern. May give us a slight edge in those 3 tricky games.

These are our easy games.

It's the Burnley's, Bournemouths and West Hams that are our tricky games!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I'd imagine that Karius must be fairly bemused at all of this. He gave a 1-on-1 interview with Ian Ladyman a few days after the team sh*t the bed vs Bournemouth, was asked about criticism and said it didn't phase him, and he's been told to shut up by every pundit with a mouth since. He's the only one that stopped digging since yesterday, too, and now Klopp has had to discuss it in the presser.

https://twitter.com/Ian_Ladyman_DM/status/808213377600389120

• Advertisement

Social media be it Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc is a business to players, pundits, journalists etc the more followers likes retweets they get the more money they make from advertisers so being anyway controversial is what they aim for.

So if you take seriously you are more likely to rage quit whichever forum you follow them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I'm cringing a bit that Klopp reacted and specifically mentioned the Nevilles. The Golden rule is to never show them that they've rattled you. I'm 100% behind Klopp but I have to call a spade a spade and say he's had a bit of a Rafa Benitez moment there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Good to see Klopp doesn't tolerate Nevilles.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    ..........and now Klopp has had to discuss it in the presser...............

He didn't have to discuss it though :)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm cringing a bit that Klopp reacted and specifically mentioned the Nevilles. The Golden rule is to never show them that they've rattled you. I'm 100% behind Klopp but I have to call a spade a spade and say he's had a bit of a Rafa Benitez moment there.

Well given that Liverpool only lost 1 game in the 4+ months after that, I hope it's similar this time.

Probably best not to revisit that discussion though.

Augeo wrote: »
    He didn't have to discuss it though :)

I think he'd have done more harm than good refusing to speak about it, question after question. The press have the bit between their teeth. And if the narrative shifts away from Karius to Klopp vs the Nevilles until after the midweek games, then it's a job well done, IMO - just like when Benitez went on a 'rant' to distract from Steven Gerrard beating the tar out of a DJ over a Phil Collins song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Don't think Klopp is rattled at all.
    I think is trying shift the attention from Karius onto himself.
    He wants to protect the player. I think it is a good move.

The pundits are the one's who look most upset Carragher included. But I guess the truth hurts as the Neville's are failures as coaches/managers & Carragher is possibly too scared to enter management.

A player is entitled to have a dig back after huge criticism that he received. If your going to give it as Neville did you have to take it .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Did Carragher tell him to shut up on Twitter?
    I wouldnt allow my players on twitter.

Think they are grand! Back and forth between Didi and Carra...

https://twitter.com/Carra23/status/808303205880889350

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

when you type carra into the twitter search window you get Carragher Shut up as the first return! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Carragher thing shouldn't be surprising. He has always came across as a bit of a dickhead, and constantly blamed others for his mistakes, so is going to relish in pointing them out now. Seems to be craving the attention now that he's in the media, and overly critical of the club the make sure people can't accuse him of being bias. If Karius was a young English keeper he'd be getting a lot less criticism from both him and Neville.

As for Karius he's right to take a shot at Neville. He's deserving of criticism but Neville's going to lay it on thick at every chance he gets given who he plays for.

Careful there me oul mucker, I'd hate to see you pick up another yellow, I'm not sure you're over the last one, let the scars heal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'm no fan of Karius - I never believed he'd be any better than Mignolet - but it seems a bit too easy to blame him for everything that's gone wrong the last few weeks. Let's not forget Dejan Lovren has been in his 2014-15 form in that time, and Matip has been injured and was poor yesterday. And as good as the Matip and Klavan signings have looked, we haven't exactly been breaking clean sheet records. Karius conceded yesterday from a one-on-one after a deflected long-ball and an inch-perfect Payet free kick from the most dangerous possible position. The wall was dreadful for it too, with the ball flying through it at head height and going in on their side of the goal. Sky immediately blamed the keeper though, with the commentator (Robbie Earle) saying he had 2 good hands on the ball and failed to keep it out, which is rubbish.

He could have done better against Bournemouth for 2 of the goals but there was a complete capitulation on the part of the whole team. It's not Karius' fault Bournemouth managed 12 shots and got 8 on target, and it wasn't fair for him to be singled out. That narrative has continued this week after 2 more avoidable goals were conceded. It's a lot easier for Sky to hang them on him than address the fact that the entire team is poor defensively, or articulate the nuances of playing a midfield geared towards attack that's missing two word class attackers and fielding a third one out wide to accomodate Origi through the middle.

Also, this 'shut up and do your job' comment from Carragher was totally unnecessary. Karius was more than entitled to have a pop an his critics, and to point out their failings when they point out his. And does it not rub anyone else the wrong way to hear a dyed in the wool Liverpool man like Carragher so staunchly take Neville's side over Karius'?
    On the goal from the freekick, the 'wall' was an embarrassment. Even at the crap level I played at, I would be embarrassed at letting in a shot at head level. Who was in charge of letting an attacking player into the center of the wall without a defender behind him? Granted, Karius should have done better with the shot but that wall was simply abysmal. Yet again, the leadership on the field should be questioned, imo.
    5starpool wrote: »
    Karius should definitely have saved that free kick yesterday, anyone who says otherwise is in denial in my view.
    Yeah he should have done better but if the wall was properly setup and managed, he was more than likely in the correct position. Only an excellently taken free should have beaten the wall and scored, not one straight through the wall at head height.

Christ, supporting Liverpool can be a hard slog at times:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He's defending his player in public and also taking the focus off him and onto himself. Ferguson made a career out of doing it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

On the goal from the freekick, the 'wall' was an embarrassment. Even at the crap level I played at, I would be embarrassed at letting in a shot at head level. Who was in charge of letting an attacking player into the center of the wall without a defender behind him? Granted, Karius should have done better with the shot but that wall was simply abysmal. Yet again, the leadership on the field should be questioned, imo.
    Yeah he should have done better but if the wall was properly setup and managed, he was more than likely in the correct position. Only an excellently taken free should have beaten the wall and scored, not one straight through the wall at head height.

Christ, supporting Liverpool can be a hard slog at times:(

The wall setup is the keepers responsibility as well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

5starpool wrote: »
    The wall setup is the keepers responsibility as well though.
    Both ends only, surely? He has to place the ends to protect the balls going around the wall but when I was playing, one player would be in charge of the wall to stop stupid mistakes like leaving a hole in the wall.

Ah look, I'm annoyed at Karius, he should have done better, but I'm way more annoyed with the wall for letting a gaping hole for Payet to shoot though.

I'd have thought it was obvious that an opposition player in the middle of the wall was going to undermine the whole purpose of having a wall in the first place?

Not sure how many people can even watch ITV in Ireland anymore but there is a new documentary made for ITVs Exposure programme - Hillsborough: Smears, Survivors & The Search For Truth on at 10.40. No idea how much of it is genuinely new. It'll be on youtube quickly enough no doubt.

Article by David Conn here https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/10/hillsborough-football-chief-under-fire-dave-richards-evidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

It just feels like if you get a shot on target against Liverpool you have a very good chance of scoring. Does anyone have our shots on target v goals conceded stats for this season handy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The wall let the ball through, sure, we'd probably be giving out about that a lot more if it was actually a good free kick, but it wasn't. Any decent keeper should be saving that, he gets a hand to it and just parries it into the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

The next player I want us to spunk 30 fckin million on is a goal keeper ,a fully fledged ready to go keeper,who saves stuff regularly..
    Then another cb

Build from that,stop conceding stupid fckin goals,its driving me nuts,defending it more so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

When you have time to shout GRAB IT for the second goal...

Listen, maybe he's not settled yet. Maybe Klopp giving him more time will help, but we're going to lose a a lot more points than if we rever back to Mig, in my opinion.

Quick and less than ideal fix, versus sticking with him and seeing. Jaysus. It's going to be ugly either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

We also need a horrible bastard in midfield to kick people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

ricero wrote: »

Joey Barton's on a free

Wanted - Javier Mascherano type.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Its really very simple.

Karius: Been crap. Could get better.

Mignolet: Been average. Won't get better.

Just went through the stats on Sky sports from all our league games this season, to see how many shots on target we've had against us.

Altogether it's exactly 50 with 8 coming from Bournemouth and another 8 coming from Watford, although I don't remember them having that many chances myself.

West Brom had one shot on target, they scored. Hull had one shot on target, they also scored. Out of five shots on target Arsenal had they scored three, one was a penalty miss too. Burnley had two shots on target and scored with both of them. Leicester and Swansea each had three shots on target and scored one each.

Overall we've conceded 20 goals from 50 shots on target. 40% of all shots on target are goals.

Also, Dortmund had their fair share of issues with Weidenfeller over the years, and Klopp stuck with him, rightly or wrongly.

This makes me believe that Karius will be here for a few years, unless he never at all shakes off the jitters and is absolutely pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Get to kick millionaires for 90 minutes? where do I sign up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Just went through the stats on Sky sports from all our league games this season, to see how many shots on target we've had against us.

Altogether it's exactly 50 with 8 coming from Bournemouth and another 8 coming from Watford, although I don't remember them having that many chances myself.

West Brom had one shot on target, they scored. Hull had one shot on target, they also scored. Out of five shots on target Arsenal had they scored three, one was a penalty miss too. Burnley had two shots on target and scored with both of them. Leicester and Swansea each had three shots on target and scored one each.

Overall we've conceded 20 goals from 50 shots on target. 40% of all shots on target are goals.

Southampton didn't get a shot on target and United had one shot on target also

Had a look at Spurs' stats there too, just to contrast with a team considered to have a top goalkeeper. They've had 44 shots on target against them, only 6 less than us, but they've only conceded 11 goals all season.

That's 25% of shots on target becoming goals compared to our 40%.

Knex. wrote: »
    Its really very simple.

Karius: Been crap. Could get better.

Mignolet: Been average. Won't get better.

Karius would wish for the averageness that Mignolet brings to the table at the moment.

Mig also prone to a blunder though.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Southampton didn't get a shot on target and United had one shot on target also

Yeah figured Southampton didn't need mentioning as we're talking about the goalkeeper rather than defence.

• Advertisement

Had a look at Spurs' stats there too, just to contrast with a team considered to have a top goalkeeper. They've had 44 shots on target against them, only 6 less than us, but they've only conceded 11 goals all season.

That's 25% of shots on target becoming goals compared to our 40%.

Sometimes you need your GK to get you out of trouble. We dont seem to have that in our squad. I suppose Mig saves the odd peno now and then.......

Yeah figured Southampton didn't need mentioning as we're talking about the goalkeeper rather than defence.

Yea, I'm just saying some people can point to great results in the time Karius has been in goal but its in spite of him if anything. He's had little to do in most games and often been a blunder when he was needed.

I thought this before the start of the season, but seeing what we've been doing I'd much rather someone who could keep the ball and create rather than someone who's going to win it back and lay it off. It's a shame Hendo is so inconsistent and Emre can't shoot.

Yea, I'm just saying some people can point to great results in the time Karius has been in goal but its in spite of him if anything. He's had little to do in most games and often been a blunder when he was needed.
    Yeah that's exactly what I'm looking at, just wanted to point out how important a goalkeeper can be.

I think most of us can agree that he should have stopped the free kick yesterday. The second goal however, isn't one you expect a keeper to make all the time, but it's a save top keepers make to help clear up a mistake, much like a great recovery tackle from a defender. Randolph had a huge blunder, biggest mistake of the match, but he also secured his team a point with a save you don't expect a keeper to make.

Sh1t just saw there is midweek round games this week and we are playing Wednesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

It seems cans injury isn't too bad and has a chance of playing wed.

Karius would wish for the averageness that Mignolet brings to the table at the moment.

Mig also prone to a blunder though.

Yeah, true.

I'm reading a lot of bundesliga fans saying that he was very good for Mainz and that a lot of German teams would have loved to get him. Some saying he was a top 5 GK in the league (which I don't necessarily believe, tbh).

That said, Mignolet was arguably regarded the same when he joined us, but he wasn't able to meet the demands of a top tier team. Some players crumble at the bigger clubs, where others thrive. Mignolet had his dodgy games, but overall I was happy enough with him to be honest, but he never kicked on or asserted himself as a top GK when he joined us.

Karius could go the way of Stuart Downing and never be able to handle it, or he could go the Henderson route, and after a slow start really grow into the team.

Bottom line, he's had a comfortable enough introduction to the PL and Liverpool as a whole, as he's had relatively feck all to deal with. What he has been faced with, he's failed with spectacularly.

His defense is that's he's 23, in a new league, and for the first time in his life he is under major scrutiny. Its sink or swim for him now in my eyes, and the eyes of pretty much every LFC fan right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

It seems cans injury isn't too bad and has a chance of playing wed.

Good, get him in, get Firmino back up top and get Origi back on the bench.

I thought this before the start of the season, but seeing what we've been doing I'd much rather someone who could keep the ball and create rather than someone who's going to win it back and lay it off. It's a shame Hendo is so inconsistent and Emre can't shoot.

Yeah, same. I transitioned from wanting a Mascherano to an Alonso a few years ago now, to be honest.

I no longer buy the "We need a destroyer" argument that was thrown Arsenal's way for years. In certain scenarios, sure, but they need more than that.

Henderson played very well yesterday, to be honest. Didn't think Wijnaldum was as bad as some people made out either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement