Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Not feeling too comfortable about Klopp addressing the Nevilles, I liked to think it is beneath him to address the hoi polloi of English media directly. I don't like this new place we are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We still haven't seen angry Klopp wait till he arrives and starts getting sent off and really blowing his temper.

If Klopp hadn't come out and publicly backed his keeper he wouldn't be doing his job.

Like it or not a lot of things aren't done behind closed doors anymore.

Sky paid billions for the rights to football so they need to create buzz and the Carra's and Neville's get paid a lot of money by Sky to make sure that buzz is done in public with the Sky logo everywhere and not behind closed doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

We still haven't seen angry Klopp wait till he arrives and starts getting sent off and really blowing his temper.

If Klopp hadn't come out and publicly backed his keeper he wouldn't be doing his job.

Like it or not a lot of things aren't done behind closed doors anymore.

Sky paid billions for the rights to football so they need to create buzz and the Carra's and Neville's get paid a lot of money by Sky to make sure that buzz is done in public with the Sky logo everywhere and not behind closed doors.

Klopp can defend his keeper without referring to media heads who may have said things. I still think it's beneath him to directly address pundits, he can be positive about his keeper without referring directly to the non-persona making the news.

The bolded bit is true, and is also the reason I don't like Klopp getting involved in this news generation game. Wait until we see more football pundits twittering criticism about our players, in the hope that Klopp will respond.

Just because the Sky and media organisations and advertising companies want to maintain a running dialogue of football's "He said / She said" boll1xology, doesn't mean we have to feed that media beast so readily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Klopp didn't say anything untrue. Gary Neville hates Liverpool and its obvious every time he talks about them. And I'm glad he got called out.

This has been going on a fair bit, little jabs here and there, remember Neville calling Klopp disrespectful? The double standards are hilarious.

I'd rather Klopp didn't necessarily put a name on the criticism but **** them IMO........Hope he deals with Carra next! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I've seen a couple of posters refer to Matip as having a poor game yesterday. News to me that. He was caught out for the second goal, sure, deflection or no but both Karius and Clyne - in particular - were responsible in no little way for the goal also. Matip was his usual unflappable self apart from that I thought.

FZQSGpk.jpg

NukaCola wrote: »
    Klopp didn't say anything untrue. Gary Neville hates Liverpool and its obvious every time he talks about them. And I'm glad he got called out.

This has been going on a fair bit, little jabs here and there, remember Neville calling Klopp disrespectful? The double standards are hilarious.

I'd rather Klopp didn't necessarily put a name on the criticism but **** them IMO........Hope he deals with Carra next! :pac:

Don't see the harm in it either. This could all have been avoided though had Karius been a little more wise in responding to recent criticism. He's only a lad and he'll learn but I was quite taken by Claudio Bravo's response to criticism (buckets of experience of course) where he admitted to having made errors and accepted them as par for the course.
    Karius should really keep his head down, work on his game and allow his game to speak for itself. We just need to hope that he becomes eloquent in that regard.

Anyway, here's something we can all get behind, eh?
    https://twitter.com/LivEchoLFC/status/808357299001630722

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

mosstin wrote: »
    I've seen a couple of posters refer to Matip as having a poor game yesterday. News to me that. He was caught out for the second goal, sure, deflection or no but both Karius and Clyne - in particular - were responsible in no little way for the goal also. Matip was his usual unflappable self apart from that I thought.

Hope there's a gif of it floating around but towards the end of the game Payet was charging towards him one on one and tried to take him on, Matip just stood his ground, floored Payet and came away with the ball.

Right up there with Sakho's best 'You shall not pass!' moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Klopp really shouldn't be getting involved in this tit for tat sh1te that's going on, he's better than that, just do his usual and bat away those type of bs question with his usual authority and charm, not like him to be creating headlines.

mosstin wrote: »
    Don't see the harm in it either. This could all have been avoided though had Karius been a little more wise in responding to recent criticism. He's only a lad and he'll learn but I was quite taken by Claudio Bravo's response to criticism (buckets of experience of course) where he admitted to having made errors and accepted them as par for the course.
    Karius should really keep his head down, work on his game and allow his game to speak for itself. We just need to hope that he becomes eloquent in that regard.

Honestly, reading the Karius quotes he didn't say much wrong. In fact he actually apologised for some mistakes. It was probably best to leave it alright.

Get your tin foil hat out there Harry as you can see Daniel has played football for the club in December.

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/808277370037739520
    Daniel Sturridge has played a grand total of 28 Premier League minutes in December since he joined the club four years ago. (Chris Bascombe)

The wall was bullied and Lovren jumped away from the ball and how did a West Ham player get in the middle of the wall?

https://twitter.com/JDNalton/status/808086150166540288

Good, get him in, get Firmino back up top and get Origi back on the bench.

Think Origi has done well for a 3rd backup, bit harsh to be calling for him to be benched. I mean yea he's not the finished article but done a fine job when called upon and scoring. 4/4 is a great return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It's gone under the radar with everything else from the game but how in the world did we not get a penalty for Payet just bundling over Lallana?

• Advertisement

The wall was bullied and Lovren jumped away from the ball and how did a West Ham player get in the middle of the wall?

I've gotten down to pick up a remote faster than Karius did for that freekick.....despite all those issues he still deserves criticism....

Get your tin foil hat out there Harry as you can see Daniel has played football for the club in December.

Sturridge=Santa Clause confirmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'm cringing a bit that Klopp reacted and specifically mentioned the Nevilles. The Golden rule is to never show them that they've rattled you. I'm 100% behind Klopp but I have to call a spade a spade and say he's had a bit of a Rafa Benitez moment there.

It is hardly Rafa levels but I'd prefer if he said nothing either.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Think Origi has done well for a 3rd backup, bit harsh to be calling for him to be benched. I mean yea he's not the finished article but done a fine job when called upon and scoring. 4/4 is a great return.

What's harsh about it? I'd prefer him to be benched for the good of the team, I'm not having a pop at him, his stats are good but I'd prefer us with Firmino back up top.

Just a case of criticising Origi to support Daniel. Lad couldn't be doing much more, he's on the pitch, putting in the defensive work, and scoring goals.

Would also have him as second choice at this stage. Sturridge hasn't got a future at the club and Origi is performing better than him this season.

• Advertisement

It's gone under the radar with everything else from the game but how in the world did we not get a penalty for Payet just bundling over Lallana?

I'm surprised this went unnoticed. Mané putting Carroll in his place.

https://streamable.com/ov9i

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Just a case of criticising Origi to support Daniel. Lad couldn't be doing much more, he's on the pitch, putting in the defensive work, and scoring goals.

Would also have him as second choice at this stage. Sturridge hasn't got a future at the club and Origi is performing better than him this season.

Just a case of supporting Origi to keep up your fascination with hating Daniel, like yesterday during the match you posted on here about the camera panning to players ahead of Sturridge, talking about him mid game, when he's nowhere to be seen, obsessed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Tusky wrote: »
    It just feels like if you get a shot on target against Liverpool you have a very good chance of scoring. Does anyone have our shots on target v goals conceded stats for this season handy?

It's poor, one of the worst in the league, if not the worst. Don't have them to hand but a guy I have in my newsfeed does a blog after every match and usually includes them, especially after a game like yesterday!

Odd thing is, we don't give away many on target shots at all but they tend to go in.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Origi could have had one too, foot was clearly kicked from under him in the box.

What's harsh about it? I'd prefer him to be benched for the good of the team, I'm not having a pop at him, his stats are good but I'd prefer us with Firmino back up top.

It is harsh to call for a player scoring goals when needed to benched. I know its probably your preference and your probably not having a pop I'm just saying its harsh.

It is harsh to call for a player scoring goals when needed to benched. I know its probably your preference and your probably not having a pop I'm just saying its harsh.

Is it not your preference? We were kicking ass and taking names playing with Firmino up front, even though I'm supposedly a Sturridge fan boy I was not calling for him to play, we played worse when he played and that's the same with Origi, neither Sturridge or Origi up top is going to work as well as it was with Firmino. Just play Firmino being flanked by mane and Lallana with Hendo, Wij and Can as the 3 behind if they're all fit, no offence to Origi like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I'm not sure who you would start instead of Origi.
    I would move Origi to LW & Firmino back to CF. Maybe rotate during the game too.
    I think Origi is doing very well though.

Is it not your preference? We were kicking ass and taking names playing with Firmino up front, even though I'm supposedly a Sturridge fan boy I was not calling for him to play, we played worse when he played and that's the same with Origi, neither Sturridge or Origi up top is going to work as well as it was with Firmino. Just play Firmino being flanked by mane and Lallana with Hendo, Wij and Can as the 3 behind if they're all fit, no offence to Origi like.

Obviously when all fit its Coutinho/Firmino/Mané.....I like Lallana where he is if I'm honest and I'm ok with up top, we are scoring.....Firmino is a bit wasted out wide I will admit but I'd give it another one or two games to help it gel. Remember these guys have only started together a handful of times.

There is an argument to be made for your above lineup, it will probably be effective but I dont think we have to change just yet, unless Firmino cant up his game out wide and Origi's fluidity doesn't improve. Right now I wouldn't change personally.

It would also be harsh IMO if a young player is playing well and scoring is benched while another is costing the team but gets plenty of minutes and well defended, but thats another discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We scored 3 away last week and 2 at home today against a struggling West Ham side. That should be enough for 6 points really. The goals we've conceded is the problem. We've scored plenty.

Chelsea are top because they are only conceding either 1 goal or 0 goals per game.

It could be but it won't be the way we play.

We're always going to give away chances and easy ones at that.
    We were 1-0 up and Lovren slightly misjudged the flight of a hoof up field to Antonio as the last defender and it ended up being a shot that needed saving by Karius. Easily could've been 1-1 then.

Klopp talked about us being too attacking and too open, but I didn't notice anything drastically different to any other game this season in how exposed our CBs were.
    What I did notice was how wasteful in possession we were and how little care we were taking of the ball in the final third.
    I noticed how few serious chances we were creating.
    Maybe that's what he means.

He accepts that we will give chances away but if we're not wasteful with the ball not only will we create enough chances to score but we'll starve them of possession enough to make it unlikely that they'll be able to keep pace with our scoring.

On Karius, I suppose the thing you'd say with the free is that it's a matter of degrees rather than a complete shambles.

It wasn't a bad free. If he had saved it commentators would've been going on about it like it was amazing when it really ought to have been fairly routine.
    It had a lot of bend, pace, it came in very low, through the wall pretty much.
    We expect better alright but it wasn't Origi's goal level of bad goalkeeping.

He can learn better positioning or maybe get better anticipation for the curl on the shot.
    I don't think we've seen anything that can't be fixed. Whether it actual will be or not is another thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Klopp should have referred the assembled scribblers to google 'hurler on the ditch' :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

boro will beat us and we will draw the derby,happy xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Any chance ye could give the Sturridge sh1t a break? There's 4 or 5 of ye have a fascination of getting digs in with each other.

I presume ye're all grown men? Do ye not sick back and think to yourselves that its all a bit sad that you have a grudge with someone on a message board that you've never met before?

It's fcuking pathetic

boro will beat us and we will draw the derby,happy xmas

I am getting bad feelings about this Boro game alright, I feel a slump has set in. Prove me wrong Liverpool, grind out a win, show that you don't have a very soft underbelly.

hefferboi wrote: »
    Any chance ye could give the Sturridge sh1t a break? There's 4 or 5 of ye have a fascination of getting digs in with each other.

I presume ye're all grown men? Do ye not sick back and think to yourselves that its all a bit sad that you have a grudge with someone on a message board that you've never met before?

It's fcuking pathetic

I only react to the chuckle brothers who have clocked up 700 posts between them that mention Sturridge before you even get into the Mr Glass horsesh1t, so yes if they leave out the petty digs you won't see me reacting it's simple as that, I'll agree to that no problem, just can't see those guys letting go of their fascination tbh.

In fact being asked to stop something tends to lead to even more of those posts that's their m.o.

P.s do you not have a grudge against us now? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I'm cringing a bit that Klopp reacted and specifically mentioned the Nevilles. The Golden rule is to never show them that they've rattled you. I'm 100% behind Klopp but I have to call a spade a spade and say he's had a bit of a Rafa Benitez moment there.

That's the lamest Golden Rule I've ever heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

IIRC during the height of Mignolet's ****eness last season there was a lengthy discussion on Achterberg as goalkeeping coach. I know none of us have any inside knowledge of his coaching methods etc. so just judging him on results (i.e. his goalkeepers' performances over a significant sample) can anyone now offer a rational argument as to why he should not be fired instantly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

MD1990 wrote: »
    I'm not sure who you would start instead of Origi.
    I would move Origi to LW & Firmino back to CF. Maybe rotate during the game too.
    I think Origi is doing very well though.
    Yeah, Origi is doing grand, tbh.

There were two occasions yesterday when players were looking for a run from Origi when playing a through ball and Origi was static, looking for it played to feet. Mane had played the ball through and I think Lallana was the other. Firmino would have been through on goal for both but it isn't Origis style, I think.

It's surprising that there isn't more dynamism in swapping positions around like there was earlier in the season, it seemed to work well when we did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

If can is fit I'd have no problem with origi missing out for firmino to go back central. I'd probably prefer wijnaldum on the left side I think he may have played there in the Leeds game. I'd prefer to keep llalana central.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just went through the stats on Sky sports from all our league games this season, to see how many shots on target we've had against us.

Altogether it's exactly 50 with 8 coming from Bournemouth and another 8 coming from Watford, although I don't remember them having that many chances myself.

West Brom had one shot on target, they scored. Hull had one shot on target, they also scored. Out of five shots on target Arsenal had they scored three, one was a penalty miss too. Burnley had two shots on target and scored with both of them. Leicester and Swansea each had three shots on target and scored one each.

Overall we've conceded 20 goals from 50 shots on target. 40% of all shots on target are goals.

The goalkeeping is indefensible at this point.

• Advertisement

I only react to the chuckle brothers who have clocked up 700 posts between them that mention Sturridge before you even get into the Mr Glass horsesh1t, so yes if they leave out the petty digs you won't see me reacting it's simple as that, I'll agree to that no problem, just can't see those guys letting go of their fascination tbh.

In fact being asked to stop something tends to lead to even more of those posts that's their m.o.

P.s do you not have a grudge against us now? ;)

Ye're all obsessed with each other.

I'm not sad enough to hold a grudge with someone on an online forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Deleted

Milkers wrote: »
    IIRC during the height of Mignolet's ****eness last season there was a lengthy discussion on Achterberg as goalkeeping coach. I know none of us have any inside knowledge of his coaching methods etc. so just judging him on results (i.e. his goalkeepers' performances over a significant sample) can anyone now offer a rational argument as to why he should not be fired instantly?

Are you suggesting he's responsible for karius's current form?

The only one who can give you the rational argument is klopp :) he's the boss :)

Mignolet kept a decent number of clean sheets iirc before last season.

Just reading back on the last few pages. I'm a big believer in giving young players a chance to settle and I hold that stance with Karius. However, he has been muck so far. But given time he can definitely turn it around.

A few people are saying DDG showed more in his first season than Karius is now and Karius can't even do the basics. Well people have a short memory as I remember De Gea being as bad. Made worse mistakes than Karius has and he couldn't do the basics either.

He turned it around and is in the top 5 in the world now, imo. Look at the first minute or so of this clip. Shocking goalkeeping, worse than Karius has been.

We'll have a compilation to "better" that shortly I fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I've been meaning to come in here and counter some of the DDG points being made. He made some awful blunders his first year but he was backed by a huge proportion of United fans because he was doing a lot of the basics well and we could see the potential. He struggled with crosses but some of his shot stopping was incredible. If the case is similar with Karius, then the comparison is valid and you guys should be backing him to the hilt.

• Advertisement

I only react to the chuckle brothers who have clocked up 700 posts between them that mention Sturridge

Gary and Phil post here?

I've been meaning to come in here and counter some of the DDG points being made. He made some awful blunders his first year but he was backed by a huge proportion of United fans because he was doing a lot of the basics well and we could see the potential. He struggled with crosses but some of his shot stopping was incredible. If the case is similar with Karius, then the comparison is valid and you guys should be backing him to the hilt.

In DDG's first 10 games he didn't look completely out of his depth,he wasn't slow off his line, he wasn't unable to judge a flight of the ball, he wasn't slow getting down to both sides, he wasn't unable to organise his defence, he wasn't erratic in passing and indecisive nearly all the time.

Karius was rated highly and I am probably just venting a bit but I haven't seen anything that fills me with confidence with him. He's blowing his chance with us. I hope he pulls himself together and shows us that great Mainz form that I hear so much about soon. It is only 10 games but a lot can change over the next 10 games. We cant afford to carry him.

I remember a ridiculous argument for Moyes. It was something like "if Fergie wasn't given time United wouldn't be so successful so Moyes should get more time" This debate reminds me of that.

Karius seems to do nothing to the standard expected of a PL keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

hefferboi wrote: »
    Just reading back on the last few pages. I'm a big believer in giving young players a chance to settle and I hold that stance with Karius. However, he has been muck so far. But given time he can definitely turn it around.

A few people are saying DDG showed more in his first season than Karius is now and Karius can't even do the basics. Well people have a short memory as I remember De Gea being as bad. Made worse mistakes than Karius has and he couldn't do the basics either.

He turned it around and is in the top 5 in the world now, imo. Look at the first minute or so of this clip. Shocking goalkeeping, worse than Karius has been.

In between the mistakes De Gea was still making some great saves though. Karius so far has well shown nothing to be honest. Made the odd save but nothing he shouldn't stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Thinking about Karius, I think some of the criticism is too harsh.

People need to remember that he is only 10 league games into his Liverpool career and you have to give him sometime.

Whilst some compare him to when de Gea started at Utd, they forget that he had a top class defence line in front of him which gave him some protection and allowed him to make some saves.

Karius does not have that. Our back line is our weakest link and will remain so as long as Lovren remains fist choice centre back he often leaves keepers exposed.

I think Klopp is doing a good job to protect him and they should stick with him for the time being. People calling for Mignolet forget how poor and inconsistent he can be.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement