Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

murpho999 wrote: »
    Thinking about Karius, I think some of the criticism is too harsh.

People need to remember that he is only 10 league games into his Liverpool career and you have to give him sometime.

Whilst some compare him to when de Gea started at Utd, they forget that he had a top class defence line in front of him which gave him some protection and allowed him to make some saves.

Karius does not have that. Our back line is our weakest link and will remain so as long as Lovren remains fist choice centre back he often leaves keepers exposed.

I think Klopp is doing a good job to protect him and they should stick with him for the time being. People calling for Mignolet forget how poor and inconsistent he can be.

I know I'm harsh, but I will say there is a definite issue with not a lot of solutions.

I dont think replacing him with Mignolet is an actual solution either but it may be the only option a few games down the line. Hopefully not.

I have little doubt klopp will drop him if things don't improve soon. Klopp will dress it up as needs be but he'll act if required.

Hows Milner on goals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Karius has not been good enough over a ten game span. Mignolet has proven he is not good enough over a significantly longer period.

However Karius seriously needs to buck up his act quickly as he has been nowhere near the standard required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

NukaCola wrote: »
    Hows Milner on goals?

Nah, too much of a distance to run whenever he has to take a penalty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

boro will beat us and we will draw the derby,happy xmas

Ah, dude, spoilers.

Some of us haven't read the books yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

murpho999 wrote: »
    Thinking about Karius, I think some of the criticism is too harsh.

People need to remember that he is only 10 league games into his Liverpool career and you have to give him sometime.

Whilst some compare him to when de Gea started at Utd, they forget that he had a top class defence line in front of him which gave him some protection and allowed him to make some saves.

Karius does not have that. Our back line is our weakest link and will remain so as long as Lovren remains fist choice centre back he often leaves keepers exposed.

I think Klopp is doing a good job to protect him and they should stick with him for the time being. People calling for Mignolet forget how poor and inconsistent he can be.

Don't think Karius' errors can be attributed to Lovren. He should be making those saves but isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

The wall was bullied and Lovren jumped away from the ball and how did a West Ham player get in the middle of the wall?

https://twitter.com/JDNalton/status/808086150166540288

Did he actually try to punch that ball instead of using his finger-tips to divert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

FZQSGpk.jpg

I feel like this will be all over tomorrow's papers, but I really don't see much wrong with it.
    He responds to criticism, defends his goalkeeper and even says the same thing about Carragher as Neville (i.e. dont want to help rival players...)
    This is all a bit 'storm in a tea cup' for me.
    Same with Karius' comments in the first place - blown way out of proportion.

Anyway, anyone else notice how much busier this forum is when things go wrong?
    And people wonder why we have a reputation as complainers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I feel like this will be all over tomorrow's papers, but I really don't see much wrong with it.
    He responds to criticism, defends his goalkeeper and even says the same thing about Carragher as Neville (i.e. dont want to help rival players...)
    This is all a bit 'storm in a tea cup' for me.
    Same with Karius' comments in the first place - blown way out of proportion.

Anyway, anyone else notice how much busier this forum is when things go wrong?
    And people wonder why we have a reputation as complainers :P

Pundits are gonna pundit , I think Klopp and Karius would be far better off not reacting to every bit of criticism off the pitch and start reacting on it. All Klopps doing is feeding into the struggling keeper narrative and putting more pressure on Karius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

hefferboi wrote: »
    Just reading back on the last few pages. I'm a big believer in giving young players a chance to settle and I hold that stance with Karius. However, he has been muck so far. But given time he can definitely turn it around.

A few people are saying DDG showed more in his first season than Karius is now and Karius can't even do the basics. Well people have a short memory as I remember De Gea being as bad. Made worse mistakes than Karius has and he couldn't do the basics either.

He turned it around and is in the top 5 in the world now, imo. Look at the first minute or so of this clip. Shocking goalkeeping, worse than Karius has been.

Excellent rewriting of history there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

garra wrote: »
    Did he actually try to punch that ball instead of using his finger-tips to divert?

I'd be more worried why the captain who was in the wall along Lallana and Lovren let a West Ham player in the wall between them giving a world class free taker like Payet basically a free hit through our wall and using his own player to get his aim in.

Why the captain and the cb didn't push and kick the West Ham player out of the middle of the wall is a major question that needs to be asked as well.

Any chance ye could give the Sturridge sh1t a break? There's 4 or 5 of ye have a fascination of getting digs in with each other.

I presume ye're all grown men? Do ye not sick back and think to yourselves that its all a bit sad that you have a grudge with someone on a message board that you've never met before?

It's fcuking pathetic

It's incredibly sad tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

"Look at the first minute of this 4 minute video, 3 of which are are him making great save after great save, he was terrible".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Kloop said nothing that's not obvious
    Wasn't at bad as Rafas big fact hunt

• Kloop said nothing that's not obvious
    Wasn't at bad as Rafas big fact hunt

Wonder why he didn't point out Carragher slating the keeper?

Find it odd tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Wonder why he didn't point out Carragher slating the keeper?

Find it odd tbh

Probably a good thing as the press would be all "Klopp Slams Carra" or some nonsense.

At the moment it's just the Liverpool manager giving out about ex-Utd players.

• brevity wrote: »
    Probably a good thing as the press would be all "Klopp Slams Carra" or some nonsense.

At the moment it's just the Liverpool manager giving out about ex-Utd players.

Not my point

Gary is a Sky Sports pundit
    Carra is a Sky Sports pundit
    Both are actually pretty fair in the match assessments

Just find it odd that he'd have clear swing at the Nevilles and in particular a jab at a failed managerial stint but nothing about the other pundit who slated the keeper (and rightly so)

We all know if it was a certain other manager and the other way around the media would be ripping

Ironically it's not any bias coming from Neville or Carragher but what looks to be the bias of Klopp himself towards ex united players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So......Is Daniel feeling 100% for the game on Wednesday?

Is Can out for the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Liam O wrote: »
    "Look at the first minute of this 4 minute video, 3 of which are are him making great save after great save, he was terrible".

My bad, I got him mixed up with another keeper at a different club.

De Gea was class in the first half of his first season at United. He made no mistakes and a lot of manu fans didn't want him sold.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Gomez got 45 mins tonight in the u-23's 3-2 at Anfield vs Arsenal and playedreally well by all accounts. Sheyi Ojo got another 90 mins and scored but had a poor enough second half by all accounts. He'd be a good option to have on the bench over this run of games when we're light on the bench, probably a better one than Ejaria or Woodburn at their stages since they will mostly be only brought on when we're in a good position in games near the end but I think Ojo could play a bigger part if match fit.

Nice match winning sub appearance in the derby would be nice, but I hope we can win on Wednesday first. I'll take any type of win at this stage, but I'd love a confident, comfortable win to restore some of the swagger and confidence that has been missing since the last international break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Not my point

Gary is a Sky Sports pundit
    Carra is a Sky Sports pundit
    Both are actually pretty fair in the match assessments

Just find it odd that he'd have clear swing at the Nevilles and in particular a jab at a failed managerial stint but nothing about the other pundit who slated the keeper (and rightly so)

We all know if it was a certain other manager and the other way around the media would be ripping

Ironically it's not any bias coming from Neville or Carragher but what looks to be the bias of Klopp himself towards ex united players
    It should have ended when Karius had a dig back.
    But it seemed to upset Neville as he then responded. You give it you have to take it. We then have Carragher & Phil Neville trying to stand up for Neville lol. Phil Neville's response was embarrasing too.

• MD1990 wrote: »
    It should have ended when Karius had a dig back.
    But it seemed to upset Neville as he then responded. You give it you have to take it. We then have Carragher & Phil Neville trying to stand up for Neville lol. Phil Neville's response was embarrasing too.

Karius should shut his mouth and let the critics do the job they are paid to do

If he really wants to have a dig back then do it on the pitch for his team and prove them wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Knex. wrote: »
    Its really very simple.

Karius: Been crap. Could get better.

Mignolet: Been average. Won't get better.

Let's say we stick with him until the summer and he continues to struggle contributing to us not getting champions league football which in turn is the reason Phil and bobby **** off
    Can we take that chance

..... can't see Bobby going anywhere :)

• Advertisement

If he really wants to have a dig back then do it on the pitch for his team and prove them wrong
    He isn't stopping them doing their jobs.
    I guess players should no longer do any interviews because unless they don't just given token answers they will be told to shut up.
    Maybe the Neville's & Carragher should stop being so sensitive about a little dig back from Karius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Lads can we just stop mentioning United players past and current? It brings with it a heavy burden and the thread is already a mess as is.

5starpool wrote: »
    Sheyi Ojo got another 90 mins and scored but had a poor enough second half by all accounts.

Here's his goal for anyone interested

https://streamable.com/g0zm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Analysts are critics now?

Phil Neville - putting the anal in analyst since 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Lads can we just stop mentioning United players past and current? It brings with it a heavy burden and the thread is already a mess as is.

Or at least some sort of trigger warning for the benefit of the poor, shrill trembling craturs who are completely devastated by the mentions?

• Advertisement

De Gea was class in the first half of his first season at United. He made no mistakes and a lot of manu fans didn't want him sold.

Hang on, hang on, I think I get it now.

They didn't not-want him anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do you just following every thing the Neville's say just because they're Man Utd connected.

Here's what Karius said last week
    And I don’t care what Gary Neville said. He was a top player, then he was a manager for a short bit and now he is back to being an expert again.
    ‘But he is always very critical. I think he does it to everyone. I just hope that when I do well he will comment on that. We will see in the future.

Source

Hardly controversial stuff; also he didn't go to the press about this. It was said during a scheduled interview that had been arranged before the Bournemouth game and Neville's criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ugh. Yeah a lot of United fans wanted their 19 year old keeper sold after a couple of mistakes. Absolutely laughable comment but sure the usual cronies are there to back slap so I'll not bother posting on the matter again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Ugh. Yeah a lot of United fans wanted their 19 year old keeper sold after a couple of mistakes. Absolutely laughable comment but sure the usual cronies are there to back slap so I'll not bother posting on the matter again.

Slapping your back for this. In case you feel left out, like.

19? Wasnt he 20 when he signed and 21 3 months into his first season?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Karius has shown absolutely nothing so far, in fact the fella is genuinely poxy. De gea was 19/20 when he signed for Utd and although he made some mistakes early on, he at least showed he has the makings of a top keeper.

In fact, I remember posting on boards about 5 years ago to say I expected him to grow into a world class keeper after watching him live at Anfield. He had all the makings of a top keeper whereas Karius looks like he'd struggle in Leinster Senior. No comparison imo and probably an element of clutching at straws for some fans. I hope he can come good but he has shown absolutely nothing to suggest that to be the case.

By the time I wake up tomorrow morning, De Gea will have been 8 years old when he signed for Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

corwill wrote: »
    By the time I wake up tomorrow morning, De Gea will have been 8 years old when he signed for Utd.

Off to bed now lads, big game Wednesday.

de+gea.jpg

At age 5 DeGea could colour between the lines, now the colours weren't great but you could see he knew what he was doing. Karius colouring was just a scribble at 5 and a half!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This is how i feel when opening this thread at the min

tumblr_m0alrwfpQd1r3tiwzo1_400.gif

• Advertisement

At age 5 DeGea could colour between the lines, now the colours weren't great but you could see he knew what he was doing. Karius colouring was just a scribble at 5 and a half!

Is that what you took from my post? Jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Documentary on Hillsborough on UTV now.

Is that what you took from my post? Jaysus.

I wasn't responding to your post
    Man, my jokes aren't what they use to be.....

What?

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

MD1990 wrote: »
    He isn't stopping them doing their jobs.
    I guess players should no longer do any interviews because unless they don't just given token answers they will be told to shut up.
    Maybe the Neville's & Carragher should stop being so sensitive about a little dig back from Karius.

Ya, you could spin it that way.

Or Karius could accept he fcuked up and deserved all the criticism he got, without his manager needing to get involved and have a below the belt dig at a guy trying to start a career in management.

I wasn't responding to your post
    Man, my jokes aren't what they use to be.....

True, you need to step it up, I expect better from you. 😊

Or Karius could accept he fcuked up and deserved all the criticism he got, without his manager needing to get involved and have a below the belt dig at a guy trying to start a career in management.

Looked more like he was trying to finish a career in management, in which case, kudos to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Fair sickening listening to the bull**** that was exposed as fact at Hillsborough. These were supposed to be peers in society. Taking about saying what fans wanted to do to dead women.

If you read the article then you would realise that Karius did accept he ****ed up. I mean, why a person would argue a point without actually reading up on it is infuriating, but its to be expected from lads frothing at the mouth defending one of their own.

• Advertisement

Shut up & read this :D
    Gary Neville and his brother Phil have both said their piece on TV. So, too, Sportsmail columnist Jamie Carragher.
    They believe Karius was wrong to respond last week to their criticism of his play at Bournemouth. They feel he was wrong to say he did not care for Gary Neville’s opinions.
    So here is the bit where we stand up for him. Here is the bit where we provide some context. I conducted the interview with the young German last week. Twenty minutes in, I asked him about Neville and Karius responded.

This is what he said: ‘I don’t care what Gary Neville said. He was a top player, then he was a manager for a short bit and now he is back to being an expert again. He is always very critical. I think he does it to everyone. I just hope that when I do well he will comment on that. We will see in the future.’
    From a 50-minute interview, that part took up about 35 seconds. Karius was not animated or emotional. He just answered the question.

I have done enough player interviews to know when someone is aggravated or wound up, when they want to make a point. I have also listened to enough players who are simply too scared or disinterested to answer a straight question with a straight answer.

This fell into neither category. Karius was just being a grown-up. He was just having a conversation with a tape recorder running.

The interview, conducted in Liverpool city centre last Thursday, had been arranged prior to the Bournemouth game.
    I actually thought he would cancel it or that his club would. Football’s default response to misfortune these days is often to say nothing, hide away until better days.

It is easy to sing when you are winning. Much harder to front up when you have just made a mug of yourself live on TV.
    But Karius fronted up. He owned up. Put his hands up, no pun intended.

The theme of the interview was not Gary Neville. It was about hope, regret, ambition and learning from mistakes. Then we talked about his interesting background. Maybe not everybody had the patience to read that far down. I hope his critics did.

So the context here is that Karius is not a guy looking to pick a fight with one of our most respected pundits. He is a guy merely looking to stick up for himself.

Both Nevilles and indeed Carragher believe he should not have done this. ‘Just shut up and play,’ said Carragher on Sky on Sunday.

I can see their point and I don’t doubt their motives. They are honest men and part of a wave of modern analysts who have taken football punditry to a new level.

But let’s not kill a young goalkeeper for having the temerity to sit down and talk. And let’s not pretend we all know why he said what he said. There were only two people in the room . . . and I was one of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement