Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Augeo wrote: »
    We played Chelsea and Utd when they were in bad places, we didn't beat Utd.
    Swings and roundabouts.

Chelsea had 3 wins and a draw from their first 4 games when we played them and were 3 points ahead of us. That was hardly in a bad place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Swings and roundabouts.

Yes, that is my point.
    We we all face teams that are in different form, and somewhere along the way a team rises to the top. Chelsea looked poor early on, I sense there current position is not a true reflection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

5starpool wrote: »
    Chelsea had 3 wins and a draw from their first 4 games when we played them and were 3 points ahead of us. That was hardly in a bad place.

They were getting results, but they weren't playing well. They had a completely different defensive approach and were conceding a lot of chances. Was the perfect time for us to catch them. We'd have a very different challenge if we faced them today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Hating Everton is silly now?

Jaysus, this thread sometimes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mosstin wrote: »

Meh, same as with any club, I think it's a thing each individual is entitled to their own feelings on. I kind of hate any groupthink "we all hate this/like this" stuff anyway.

Personally, i've absolutely nothing against Everton. Not usually really competitors with us, usually have a few Irish players, have had some other players i've liked through the years...I've no reason to share the more personal 'derby rivalry' as I'm not from Liverpool...and any time i've gone to Liverpool for matches i've found any Everton fan i've come across to be helpful and welcoming.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

hey bitchmagics. v=yFEj85t3P5M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Meh, same as with any club, I think it's a thing each individual is entitled to their own feelings on. I kind of hate any groupthink "we all hate this/like this" stuff anyway.

Personally, i've absolutely nothing against Everton. Not usually really competitors with us, usually have a few Irish players, have had some other players i've liked through the years...I've no reason to share the more personal 'derby rivalry' as I'm not from Liverpool...and any time i've gone to Liverpool for matches i've found any Everton fan i've come across to be helpful and welcoming.

Pretty much the same as me. I actually quite like Everton as a club. I look forward to the derby for sure hoping it will have some spice to it but the club itself tends to be quite classy and there seems to be a decent bit of respect between the two clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

NukaCola wrote: »
    If 14 out of his first 18 games were clean sheets and a golden glove in his first season is him struggling then yes he did.

AH whatever, I just remembered someone posted a video of him making a huge blunder against Everton in his first season with us, before he had accepted he was going bald, and took a shot. My only point in all of this really was can we please stop talking about UTD in the Liverpool thread?? And yes, David DeGea=UTD. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Swings and roundabouts.

Not to mention Arsenal first game of the season missing half their defence and maybe Ozil too after the Euros. Can't remember exactly but it was a shadow of the team they regularly put out now in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Tbf it's just one poster with a bizarre obsession of trying to dictate what topics are allowed to be discussed on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

mormank wrote: »
    Not to mention Arsenal first game of the season missing half their defence and maybe Ozil too after the Euros. Can't remember exactly but it was a shadow of the team they regularly put out now in fairness.

In fairness we did batter the bollox out of them only to let them back in near the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

If 14 out of his first 18 games were clean sheets and a golden glove in his first season is him struggling then yes he did.

Mignolet has been in contention for the Golden Glove in 2015 & 2016 right up until the last month of the season, doesn't mean a whole lot.

The goal v Everton
    Brainfart v Chelsea (red card with Robben)
    Konchesky goal in Cup Final

That's 3 I can think of straight away.

Reina was far from perfect in his first season but he turned into a very good keeper for us but lets not pretend he arrived and was absolutely top class from the start.

kfallon wrote: »
    Mignolet has been in contention for the Golden Glove in 2015 & 2016 right up until the last month of the season, doesn't mean a whole lot.

The goal v Everton

Reina was far from perfect in his first season but he turned into a very good keeper for us but lets not pretend he arrived and was absolutely top class from the start.

He was streets ahead of where Karius has been for us though. Like most others, I'm not writing him off as a lost cause, but I think it is a far more likely outcome that he turns out not to be the long term answer for us than he does.

He was streets ahead of where Karius has been for us though. Like most others, I'm not writing him off as a lost cause, but I think it is a far more likely outcome that he turns out not to be the long term answer for us than he does.

Lets be honest, if me or you went in goal at the moment we'd prob be ahead of Karius.

More pointing out that anyone who thinks Reina walked into the team and was outstanding from the off needs to take off the rosetinted glasses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

The goal v Everton

He kept 20 clean sheets in his first season and was generally very good.

How am I pretending? You are the one suggesting getting the golden glove means little.

If you make a few mistakes throughout a season it does not mean you struggled. That was the post I'm responding to. You can say 20 clean sheets mean nothing, you can say he made mistakes but to say he struggled in his first season is wrong.

More pointing out that anyone who thinks Reina walked into the team and was outstanding from the off needs to take off the rosetinted glasses!

Again, I said he didn't struggle. Who said he was outstanding? You are arguing with yourself now.

Reinas stats were pretty good and could be argued were excellent lets be fair. 14 clean sheets in his first 18 games in english football and you choose to pick out a few negatives IMO does not mean he was poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

http://www.football365.com/news/benitez-offers-update-in-liverpools-defender-pursuit

Rafa offers an update on Liverpool's January transfer target...

It's like the last decade never happened!!

--

To save the click - he's confident Lascelles is going nowhere.

Elsewhere, Lovren and Gomez have travelled with the squad tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Ah right, I for some reason thought it was up in 2018 for some reason........
    Michael Zorc did an interview with Kicker back in September and said that Liverpool made an approach for Pulisic in the summer but he was happy to stay at the club when he was given assurances about first team football opportunities this season. He also gave the details about the length of the player's contract and said the club might come under pressure to renegotiate it next summer depending on how well Pulisic plays this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Lets be honest, if me or you went in goal at the moment we'd prob be ahead of Karius.

Be honest, that wasn't really being honest now was it? :pac:

mormank wrote: »
    AH whatever, I just remembered someone posted a video of him making a huge blunder against Everton in his first season with us, before he had accepted he was going bald, and took a shot. My only point in all of this really was can we please stop talking about UTD in the Liverpool thread?? And yes, David DeGea=UTD. :mad:

The blunder against Everton was in his second season, September 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Reina impressed me from the off when he joined, actually. His first game he came out for a cross, took the ball, the striker and our center back all in the one swoop. It was glorious.

He kept 16 clean sheets in his first 20 games. That's pretty outstanding for a new goalkeeper walking in to a new team.

I'd expect karius will play 80 to 100 games before we see 16 clean sheets.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    He kept 16 clean sheets in his first 20 games. That's pretty outstanding for a new goalkeeper walking in to a new team.

He had a back 4 of Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher and Riise in front of him, was always gonna help him! Not to mention Hamann, Alonso and Sissoko in front of those.

There were some dodgy moments! Which was to be expected!

• Advertisement

He had a back 4 of Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher and Riise in front of him, was always gonna help him! Not to mention Hamann, Alonso and Sissoko in front of those.

There were some dodgy moments! Which was to be expected!

Are the dodgy moments expected because they happen to every keeper at some point or that it was because it was his first season?

A good defense will always help a goalkeeper. We haven't had a consistent defense in years. Even this year our first choice left back is a makeshift centre mid/winger.

Jeez, if Reina cant be given credit for his first season performance at Liverpool what hope does any keeper have here.......Even when they do well the defence is credited more than the keeper.

Reina didn't have the benefit of strikers defending either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Of Gary and Phil, he mused: “They’re like the Mitchell brothers, aren’t they?”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/dec/14/loris-karius-neville-gary-phil-liverpool-goalkeeper-sky-sports

Also respect to Jaap Stam's more, er, blunt analogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Reina's distribution during a game was a sight to be hold he got a couple of assists if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement

I'd expect karius will play 80 to 100 games before we see 16 clean sheets.

He has 4 clean sheets in 11.

He fxxked up against Bournemouth and could have done better for the free kick against West Ham.

I know you're being tongue in cheek but the guy was the second best keeper in the Bundesliga last season and Germany have a record of producing good goalkeepers.

The whole team seem to have not got back in to the rhythm that they had before the international break. That's the main problem that Klopp hasn't been able to fix yet.

Henderson had great form from the Chelsea game to before the Internationals and now has gone back to being where he was before the Chelsea game.

Mane has lost the consistency he had before the internationals likewise Firmino. We lost Couthino. Sturridge was doing a good job as back up and he's unavailable. Lallana got injured. Matip who is currently out best CB was out for the Bournemouth game.

We've been off the boil for 4 games now and Karius just seems to be getting thrown under the bus.

We really need to see an improvement in performance through out the whole team tonight.

Reina didn't have the benefit of strikers defending either :)

He had Cisse for his first season! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Yes in my humble opinion, maybe not in yours, silly isn't exactly an aggressive choice of word that I used is it?

dhMeAzK.gif
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Tbf it's just one poster with a bizarre obsession of trying to dictate what topics are allowed to be discussed on here.

17f3937f739c435a01e61ce070a4e367.jpg

As proved by Rebels post and the people who agree with it, it's not just one person saying anything so stop jive talking my good man.

A good defense will always help a goalkeeper. We haven't had a consistent defense in years. Even this year our first choice left back is a makeshift centre mid/winger.

That's what I said, isn't it? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I see them as being similar to the Atletico/Barca/Real axis from a few years ago (before Atleti really became good).

It's near enough guaranteed 6 pts every season for us or at least 4 but they can usually be relied to take points off our rivals.

If you're not actually from Liverpool, you probably don't know any Everton fans, or at least many, so the hate that comes with playground oneupmanship shouldn't be a factor.

I really relish the Merseyside derby. It's usually a great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm guessing Daniel isn't 100% and didn't travel with the squad.

Any news on Can?

I know you're being tongue in cheek but the guy was the second best keeper in the Bundesliga last season and Germany have a record of producing good goalkeepers.

Based on what exactly? I've seen this said a lot but 6 GK's in the Bundesliga kept more clean sheets than him last season and 3 of those GK's played in teams that finished behind Mainz. Did he have a significantly higher save per goal ratio? I would love to see the stats.

Based on what exactly? I've seen this said a lot but 6 GK's in the Bundesliga kept more clean sheets than him last season and 3 of those GK's played in teams that finished behind Mainz. Did he have a significantly higher save per goal ratio? I would love to see the stats.

It was an end of season vote by 235 players in the league on who they thought was the best goalkeeper. Karius finished second.

Maybe they had a better defense! :pac:

I'm guessing Daniel isn't 100% and didn't travel with the squad.

Any news on Can?

Sturridge has returned to light training, not available. Can expected to miss tonight as well. Both should be ok for Monday night barring any setbacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

A pretty important match too.

Are we the real deal? Do we have some ****ing substance about us? A win would strongly bolster any claims to the affirmative on both of those questions. One point from a favourable looking six is unfortunate. A blip. **** that happens. One or two points from a favourable looking nine is a problem.

• Advertisement

It was an end of season vote by 235 players in the league on who they thought was the best goalkeeper. Karius finished second.

Ah right, no I was wondering was there stats or something behind that claim that was used a lot, even by me I think at one stage.....it was a vote then.....man I really hope he sorts himself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    A pretty important match too.

Are we the real deal? Do we have some ****ing substance about us? A win would strongly bolster any claims to the affirmative on both of those questions. One point from a favourable looking six is unfortunate. A blip. **** that happens. One or two points from a favourable looking nine is a problem.

Agree, time for this team to step up to the plate or it won't be long until we are back in the pack and scrapping for 4th spot after looking almost like a certainty a couple of weeks ago. My gut is saying we won't win tonight though and Everton up next will be buoyed after their win last night, hopefully Klopp can whip them enough and get them back on track.

The team has been stepping up to the plate in fairness, two disappointing results doesn't change that. For large parts of those games we dominated and I think we deserved more but that wasn't the case. We need to keep getting our goals and stop making stupid mistakes, have a bit of courage and we'll be back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Tonight is a tough game. They are strong defensively.A win tonight would be a great result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Stewart Downing to hit a complete thunder bastard from 42 yards into the top corner for the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I think they just really liked his hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Maybe they thought it was the best goalkeeper to face?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Stewart Downing to hit a complete thunder bastard from 42 yards into the top corner for the win.

Hopefully he gets confused and repeatedly stops his runs to turn back and pass to Enrique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Hopefully he gets confused and repeatedly stops his runs to turn back and pass to Enrique.

We need to get Enrique up there quickly then, get him in a steward's coat and stick him behind Valdes. Easiest win ever.

• Advertisement

Danny Ayala to score from a corner too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement