Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Totally! 3/4's joking, but, like partially serious, I was thinking before that our best bet for scoring would be to just not even try that nicely weighted final ball. Thats always the one that gets blocked out, and is easier for the opposition to intercept and control...instead for that final ball just blast it straight at the defenders feet. Give him something to struggle to control, and swarm him. Those are the circumstances we really thrive in, and very often come away with the ball. And if that's happening in their box, make your next touch a shot, and we score buckets! Foolproof!

I know you're kinda going tongue in cheek here, but;
    1) if this is a thing we could do, i'd much rather we did it for, like, cancer research.
    2) For a huge amount of those supposedly 80 - 100 million fans, they live in parts of the world where a tenner is a bloody lot of money.
    3) That's just not how the world works. Christ, I don't even give a tenner to the dude guilt tripping me to my face on the street about starving kids and exploding puppies! Sure, you'd get a certain amount, but i'd guess it would be in the thousands worldwide, rather than millions. And frankly, that'd be too much. We shouldn't be paying money - altruistically, with nothing personally in return - to a massive multi-million pound company, to pay another multi-million pound company, to get a multi-million pound player to sign on for multi-million pound wages. All that does is cause the already-bat**** footballing economy to inflate to even more barnstormingly ludicrous proportions.

So, in short, no! Bold Toby!

I get your points but players and clubs spend crazy money on pointless things, yes they could give it to cancer research but I'm afraid it's not how it works unfortunately.
    If it was possible to get 10 pound a year from 80 millions fans then I'm sure charity would benefit. We have the advantage of millions of fans, but we don't capitalize on it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I get your points but players and clubs spend crazy money on pointless things, yes they could give it to cancer research but I'm afraid it's not how it works unfortunately.
    If it was possible to get 10 pound a year from 80 millions fans then I'm sure charity would benefit. We have the advantage of millions of fans, but we don't capitalize on it.

But half of those 80m fans are probably on wages where 10 quid is a huge sum of money. Also, it'd never work for many, many reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

5starpool wrote: »
    He's still around isn't he? Not as often, but as Gerry would say, "he hasn't gone away you know".

That Mike65 lad would have over 100k posts by now if he had stayed around, probably approaching 105k I'd say.

Anyone know what happened to him? Quite the mystery...

I'll never forgive him for leaving on the post count that he did.

Couldn't even post just once more. The bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Not every supporter is a customer no matter how much club owners try. At a guess I would say a big percentage of those people cant afford to watch games let alone pay 10 pound to buy players for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

He's still around isn't he? Not as often, but as Gerry would say, "he hasn't gone away you know".

That Mike65 lad would have over 100k posts by now if he had stayed around, probably approaching 105k I'd say.

Opr is a notable absence too.

brevity wrote: »

Still alive and posting elsewhere, just not allowed to post in the soccer forum any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Still alive and posting elsewhere, just not allowed to post in the soccer forum any more.

Which iirc was absolutely ridiculous. Kess also got lost to China I think. Lot of good posters gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Which is a pity because he often posted in depth, well thought out post with regards to players, tactics etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Daniel is at 90% he may train with the team today or tomorrow.

Mignolet will start again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Daniel is at 90% he may train with the team today or tomorrow.

Mignolet will start again.
    Out of the Everton game then:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I heard a rumour that Mike65 is now coaching the kids teams in Liverpool, agent to woodburn and a few others too :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

gafferino wrote: »
    Which iirc was absolutely ridiculous. Kess also got lost to China I think. Lot of good posters gone.
    Apparently, Kess is heading up the proposed Chinese takeover of Liverpool:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Knex. wrote: »
    Glorious. Had forgotten how much fun I had in that thread.

Re-read through all of it over lunch, think I thanked more posts this time around.

Such a great buzz around the thread at that time and as others have said so many good posters gone since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Just re-watched the highlights of that Arsenal game, I enjoyed seeing the sulky, selfish Sturridge saluting Coutinho and gesturing to the crowd about a fantastic assist he provided. Benny Rodgers team provided us with some magic moments that season, I think most agree it was the most scintillating we've been in 20 plus years. Good times.

Had a rewatch myself. I know many people have argued that Sturridge doesn't rely on pace so the loss of it shouldn't be a massive thing but give me a Sturridge that can sprint any day.....a much better player with a bit of pace to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Just re-watched the highlights of that Arsenal game, I enjoyed seeing the sulky, selfish Sturridge saluting Coutinho and gesturing to the crowd about a fantastic assist he provided. Benny Rodgers team provided us with some magic moments that season, I think most agree it was the most scintillating we've been in 20 plus years. Good times.

The team of that year (13 I think) was the most exciting and entertaining I've seen . Won't see it again for a long long time, and while Suarez and the others should rightfully be given credit so too should Rodgers. Fcuk it was great to support Liverpool that year :£

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Also missing Je Suis Mario...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

NukaCola wrote: »
    Had a rewatch myself. I know many people have argued that Sturridge doesn't rely on pace so the loss of it shouldn't be a massive thing but give me a Sturridge that can sprint any day.....a much better player with a bit of pace to him.

It's just that little bit to peel away from players and give himself space.

He probably could find his feet again with a run of games and work out how to use his talent otherwise but he has so much less space to work in.

He may well get that time somewhere else, assuming he can stay fit.

Klopp quoted as saying if Sturridge is available he will be involved.... be fantastic to have him for 20mins if not 100%.

Seems strange considering he hasn't trained much lately.

Matip is a worry :(

I think it's good everton got points last game, couldn't see them not have a go coming off a good result.

Really looking forward to the game, I won't see any
    PL until Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Let's say this actually works exactly like you hope, then every club will be doing it, and there's just a bigger influx of cash into football, and the price you have to pay for a footballer just increases. Look at City for instance...big new source of money, and suddenly every player they try to buy is two or three times the price.

Pool have one of the bigger fanbases so wold gain more money from this, but the price they'd have to pay would just increase to match.

Also, If you're giving money directly towards the progress of the club, you'll be an awful lot more critical of what they do with that money. And i'd say this is the exact sort of thing that would burst the bubble football exists in, when all the punters suddenly go "hang on a second, why am I benevolently handing over my hard-earned, to millionaires, when we still can't get a bloody decent keeper?!". Could see a lot of 'rage-quitting' going on.

Interesting thought experiment, but in practice it just couldn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sorry, but isn't that obvious? Not being smart but of course he was better when he was quick. The point is he's skillful and intelligent enough not to be a Michael Owen.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

murpho999 wrote: »
    Funny read alright.

Many people wanted Allen to play instead of Coutinho!

Amazing to think after that great win that Rodgers got the sack 20 months later.

20 months is soooooooo long in football these days tho. Many people were calling for Moyes to be sacked from Sunderland after less than 10 games for example and the average lifespan of a Premier League manager these days is less than 20 months I would wager.

What do you mean we don't capitalize on it? Who do you think is buying all the club merchandise and paying stupid money each week to watch the team etc? Asking for 10 pound a year for essentially nothing in return was a funny thought but absolutely ridiculous as a serious suggestion, come on!!!

brevity wrote: »

Agreed, however I must say I don't know why but it used to annoy me how he would sign off every post with OPR at the end. It felt arrogant or something...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Instead of fans giving more money to clubs any club to build their transfer budget maybe just maybe they all should stop paying their players millions in wages a year.

But we all know that's not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Instead of fans giving more money to clubs any club to build their transfer budget maybe just maybe they all should stop paying their players millions in wages a year.

But we all know that's not going to happen.

Make them all go on jobsbridge? No pay but they'll gain valuable experience that might help them sign for a bigger club.
    Kinda what we do but we'd save on wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mormank wrote: »
    Agreed, however I must say I don't know why but it used to annoy me how he would sign off every post with OPR at the end. It felt arrogant or something...:o
    I always thought it was to remind them who they were when they started the post;)

BTJ

:p

K-9 wrote: »
    Sorry, but isn't that obvious? Not being smart but of course he was better when he was quick. The point is he's skillful and intelligent enough not to be a Michael Owen.

Thats not the point many people make. He's not 1 dimensional but a big part of his game was pace and that is reflected in the goals he scored. Many people want to believe it wont effect him greatly but I think it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Man the year we nearly won it he was so fast. he was lethal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Bowlardo wrote: »

Man the year we nearly won it he was so fast. he was lethal

His goal v Arsenal really showed it. Unbelievable ball by Coutinho to split Koscienly and Mertesacker and he just sped through them like a knife through butter

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    His goal v Arsenal really showed it. Unbelievable ball by Coutinho to split Koscienly and Mertesacker and he just sped through them like a knife through butter
    Sturridge doesn't make those runs much anymore probably why Coutinho doesn't link up as well with him when he does play.

Bloody Palace, can't rely on them for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

just thinking the same. Would have thought they'd get at least a point between the United and Chelsea games but no.

Much as it kills me to say it, Chelsea look like champs. Great habit of winning games 1-0 a lot which usually bodes well.

Nevermind. Long way to go. Just do our own thing and see how we're looking going into the final furlong.
    Not like 2nd or 3rd would be a bad thing anyway if that's how it goes.

Not like 2nd or 3rd would be a bad thing anyway if that's how it goes.

Or 4th IMO :)

Funny how a manager can come to a club and take a team from midtable to top in few weeks work.

Augeo wrote: »
    Or 4th IMO :)

Ha yeah, 4th wouldn't be so bad pal. But I think we're better than that.

We're a top-3 side imo.

Funny how a manager can come to a club and take a team from midtable to top in few weeks work.

You mean Conte? It's a good side he inherited to be fair and Mourinho had lost them. Sure look at Hazard and Costa now compared to last season.
    Different players.

But yeah he's doing a great job there. All changed since ourselves and Arsenal battered them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

You mean Conte? It's a good side he inherited to be fair and Mourinho had lost them. Sure look at Hazard and Costa now compared to last season.
    Different players.

But yeah he's doing a great job there. All changed since ourselves and Arsenal battered them.

The defence is the big thing.

It's one thing to bandage things up to stop them falling to bits, like Rodgers' effort in 14/15 when we got a load of clean sheets in a row after Christmas but it never really felt like it was a proper solution.

Conte's done it sustainably with proper balance maintained in the team and honestly, their defenders are seriously average except for Azpilicueta.

Things have come together at the same time for them as well.
    It's not a classic league in terms of quality - we're not great, Arsenal are Arsenal and City are fairly undercooked.
    The squad inherited wasn't great even if they could put a great first team together but they have fewer games than normal so it hasn't hampered them much.
    Injury-wise I think they've been fairly lucky. If Costa does his cruciate or something it'd tell us a lot about them. He has a hand in virtually all their goals and the backup is raw.

They'd be up there regardless though. Conte's system has made them solid top 4 material. It's the extra's on top of that that are the difference between them and the rest at the moment.

Different players.

How many years are we chasing a title, and we have spent millions and we have had good managers. It's just a little annoying how Leicester and now Chelsea come from nowhere to make it look so dam easy.

@ Gbear, I wouldn't disagree with anything you said but it isn't just about their defence per se. They also have a very good goal-keeper (fancy that?) and a midfield that is very good at protecting the defence.
    So when you add it all up you get clean sheets and then they have Costa who very annoyingly seems to get a goal more often than not and 1-0's tend to win league titles.
    Of course it's early days and it it can all change really quickly as we know. But just at this moment in time they look very efficient.

• Advertisement

How many years are we chasing a title, and we have spent millions and we have had good managers. It's just a little annoying how Leicester and now Chelsea come from nowhere to make it look so dam easy.

Ha, I dunno how Leicester did what they did. It was insane. But Chelsea already had a great squad, they just refused to play for Mourinho last season and now they're coming out of hibernation.
    Plus it's only early days this season. I still wouldn't rule us out entirely.

But yeah we've had great managers and good sides and people just forget how close we were a few times. Houllier (and Phil) weren't far off. That was a huge points tally we notched up but Arsenal had an amazing season.
    And Rafa's side were a Howard Webb soft peno (utd v spurs changed the game) and also excellent late strike my Macheda away from winning it.
    And then there was Rodgers and Stevie's slip.

So we ain't been far off on a good few occasions.
    And it will happen for us under Klopp at some stage, I'd put my life on it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

So I see Jose is up to his old conspiracy tricks again.

So when will the ball boys, groundsmen, stadium vendors and the sun, moon and stars be blamed next.

mourinho_conspiracy.jpg

5E12DBC82.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

On Chelsea its still the majority of the team that walked to the title two season ago. They were just **** last season but Conte has really pulled them together. 10 wins in a row ffs.
    Excited for an entertaining draw between city and arsenal tomorrow lol.

eyerer wrote: »
    On Chelsea its still the majority of the team that walked to the title two season ago. They were just **** last season but Conte has really pulled them together. 10 wins in a row ffs.
    Excited for an entertaining draw between city and arsenal tomorrow lol.

Exactly, not sure how even Toby can say they came from nowhere.

I'd like to see Chelsea go a goal down or get pegged back after going ahead.... see if they have more gears.

The run of wins and amount of clean sheets is unarguably impressive but it isn't overly entertaining :)

United reeling us in now
    A everton loss would be huge dent in belief
    I think City go second tomorrow and United will target us and Arsenal

United reeling us in now
    A everton loss would be huge dent in belief
    I think City go second tomorrow and United will target us and Arsenal

Keep the faith fella! We'll beat the bluenoses...

Oscar moving to China at 25 for half a million a week wages.
    It's a fair price to sell your footballing soul for I guess
    I think Coutinho would not do it though, says a lot about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Augeo wrote: »
    I'd like to see Chelsea go a goal down or get pegged back after going ahead.... see if they have more gears.

The run of wins and amount of clean sheets is unarguably impressive but it isn't overly entertaining :)

They went a goal down to City and ended up making short work of them. Should have been 2 down as well but De Bruyne somehow managed to hit the bar from 3 feet out. I agree they're far from entertaining though...just grinding out results atm. Costa and Kante will miss their next game so may be a bit of hope there.

• Advertisement

They took that Belgium statue off us for 32m.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement